Karen Price article - holy bad

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Karen Price article - holy bad

Postby Bowser on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:50 pm

Ok, I've had it.

Read this piece of crap from Karen Price
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune ... 45497.html

"If defenseman Erik Johnson's available, the Penguins would probably take him, given that, after Noah Welch, their prospects on the blue line thin out."

I'm not debating the issue of Johnson's skill set or value as the second pick of the draft but the part about "their prospects on the blue line thin out".

Say what!

What self-respecting team beat reporter would make such a statement?!

Has she any clue to this team's organizational depth along the blueline?

Alex Goligoski - good offensive defenseman
Kristopher Letang - solid two-way defensemen, lightning hands
Michal Sersen - strong two-way defenseman, getting better each year
Paul Bissonnette - steady defensive defenseman
Ondrej Nemec - has the skills but AHL experience hurt him
Daniel Fernholm - big European gaining valuable experience in minors
Ryan Lannon - depth defenseman like Robert Scuderi
Vladimir Malenkykh - physical def-defenseman from Russia
Jean-Philipp Paquet - small defenseman who is getting better

Penguins already have...
Sergei Gonchar - Brooks Orpik
Ryan Whitney - Noah Welch
Josef Melichar - Robert Scuderi
Eric Cairns

..so Karen, want to amend your thought process.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:57 pm

Ya, I had a similar thought as well when I read that earlier.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:01 pm

The only thing I can think of is that she meant top-tier defensive prospects. Of the guys you listed, I don't know that any of them are projected to be top-pairing guys. That's not to say they can't develop into that though.

Letang could be a very solid #3 from what I've seen of him. My knowledge of Goligoski is limited, but he might be in the same boat.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Karen Price article - holy bad

Postby NIN on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:16 pm

Bowser wrote:Ok, I've had it.

Read this piece of crap from Karen Price
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune ... 45497.html

"If defenseman Erik Johnson's available, the Penguins would probably take him, given that, after Noah Welch, their prospects on the blue line thin out."

I'm not debating the issue of Johnson's skill set or value as the second pick of the draft but the part about "their prospects on the blue line thin out".

Say what!

What self-respecting team beat reporter would make such a statement?!

Has she any clue to this team's organizational depth along the blueline?

Alex Goligoski - good offensive defenseman
Kristopher Letang - solid two-way defensemen, lightning hands
Michal Sersen - strong two-way defenseman, getting better each year

Penguins already have...
Sergei Gonchar - Brooks Orpik
Ryan Whitney - Noah Welch
Josef Melichar - Robert Scuderi
Eric Cairns

If you browse other franchise stable of dmen there arent many that can even compare to the Pens. The Rangers and Flyers have some good young guys but I dont think anybody has as much depth and talented skaters on the blueline. Still, they dont have that one guy who can be a solid 25-30 minute contributer. Gonchar is not a valuable PK or 4 on 4 commodity and Whitney will need at least one more season to figure out positional tactics. EJ would certainly be a welcome addition in all areas of the game.
NIN

Postby jmh470 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:23 am

The Pens will be very lucky if more than one of those aforementioned defense prospects (Welch excluded) stick in the NHL and contribute to a winning team. None of them are top-two caliber and none of them are consistently good in their own end.

And I can't believe you pointed to the current Pens' blueline as a sign of quality depth at defense. Have you been watching this season?
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:29 am

jmh470 wrote:The Pens will be very lucky if more than one of those aforementioned defense prospects (Welch excluded) stick in the NHL and contribute to a winning team. None of them are top-two caliber and none of them are consistently good in their own end.

And I can't believe you pointed to the current Pens' blueline as a sign of quality depth at defense. Have you been watching this season?

I think there are definite signs of improvement the last half of the season, and our young guns are only getting better. Welch will most definitely be an improvement over whoever gets the boot, whether it be Melichar or Scuderi or whoever.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Zscout on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:00 am

Bowser wrote:Michal Sersen - strong two-way defenseman, getting better each year

I would not call these seven very promising. Goligoski, and Letang are decent prospects. Price is not too far off by calling those ranks thin of solid NHL prospects.
Zscout

Postby bse on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:52 am

I am not sure I agree with Bowser on this. We certainly need a defenseman like Erik Johnson. We've got Welch and Whitney and that's pretty much it. Yes, Goligoski and Letang will probably make it to the NHL, but I don't think you are giving us much of a confidence by listing players such as Sersen, Bissonnette, Nemec, Fernholm, Lannon, Malenkykh and Paquet.. every organisation has those. I doubt any of them ever make it to the NHL and even if they do, will they ever make enough of a contribution?

Two of them played most of the season in ECHL, two of them are reluctant to come to north america, one could probably be like Rob Scuderi and so on... heck, the guys you listed are hardly worth considering for the AHL let alone NHL. Even hockeysfuture, who normally favors the Penguins, pretty much sums it up.

Price's statement that Welch is pretty much all we have couldn't be more correct. I think you are overlooking the big picture, because of personal things.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:13 am

bse wrote:Price's statement that Welch is pretty much all we have couldn't be more correct. I think you are overlooking the big picture, because of personal things.

Exactly. For some reason people here have a major thing with Price. If their newspaper comes with a smudge in the ink, it's her fault too...

Her statement is dead on, and actually Bowser did the leg work to prove it. Ironic in that he was trying to blast her, but actually supported her comment. The list does thin out. She didn't say there was no one left at all and that the Pens were F'd in that department, just that it thinned out. NO ONE on Bowser's list is a potential #1 Dman. Not even a top 2. It could be argued that they are a bunch of third pairing guys. Maybe a couple second pairings. Anyway you look at it... Price's statement is not ACTUALLY false and we can thank Bowser for showing that.

HA!

Some people's hatred for Price is more over the top than mine for Jagr... and that is a scarey thing.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:22 am

bse wrote:Price's statement that Welch is pretty much all we have couldn't be more correct. I think you are overlooking the big picture, because of personal things.

Surely Whitney is highly touted as well? Or doesn't he make the definition of a prospect anymore because of age?
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

waiting for pgh defense to blossom...

Postby penny lane on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:29 am

As we have seen this season with Sergei Gonchar, all star or not,
defensemen struggle and draft picks with a pedigree cannot always
be counted on as a sure thing or near to a sure thing. Ryan Whitney
picked up his game but it was a rollercoaster through his rookie
season. Plus, me & others have to remember Brooks Oprik is only
24...some of us treat him like he's a grizzled vet.

KP~ can be trashed for not remembering the Kris Letang
:D :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bowser on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:50 am

Those of you defending Karen Price better take a hard long look at yourself in the mirror and let's review.

Erik Johnson would be an outstanding addition to the Penguins organization because he's a right-handed, physical, two-way defenseman. I am not debating this fact of the Pens need for a big strong RH defenseman, that's been beaten like a deadhorse by me and many others on this board.

What I am taking issue to is the FACT the Penguins have solid 3-6 prospects like Goligoski, Letang, Sersen, and Bissonnette. I think Malenkykh could play in the NHL right now and the others are 6-7 types. Why would you worry about the defense with the absolute nightmarish lack of scoring depth among top six forwards?

And worry about our defensemen with Gonchar, Whitney, Welch, Orpik, Melichar, and Scuderi taking the top six spots. Johnson would likely push Scuderi to the bench but that's a good thing.

Finally, your education for today ends with this nugget of information... defense is a TEAM thing. Do you know how many times I saw forwards cheating up the ice, making bonehead decisions at offensive blueline to cause odd-man breaks, weak clearing attempts on defense, etc.

I think our defense core is plenty fine with the exception of a RH defenseman with the skill set and talent of EJ.

A little research and the proper designation about adding Erik Johnson would not have generated my response....
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby HockeyDaddy on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:08 am

Karen Price still thinks she writes in Colorado. If you want real Pens coverage forget the Trib and the PG...come to LGP.com!
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:36 am

Bowser wrote:
What I am taking issue to is the FACT the Penguins have solid 3-6 prospects like Goligoski, Letang, Sersen, and Bissonnette. I think Malenkykh could play in the NHL right now and the others are 6-7 types. Why would you worry about the defense with the absolute nightmarish lack of scoring depth among top six forwards?

And worry about our defensemen with Gonchar, Whitney, Welch, Orpik, Melichar, and Scuderi taking the top six spots. Johnson would likely push Scuderi to the bench but that's a good thing.

I tend to agree with KP that the talent level does fall off and is somewhat thin. Not one of those guys you list is a sure-fire NHL prospect. They all have big holes in their games. A couple of them will likely make it, but odds are that most of them will not.

Goligoski: offensively skilled but can he play well enough in his own end at his size? Yes, Rafalski has done it, so there is hope. But he plays behind a brick wall defensive system too.

Letang: another offensive guy. Odds are that either he or Goligoski makes it, but not both.

Sersen: first time I have really heard his name on a top prospect list.

Bissonnette: one good training camp three years ago does not an NHLer make. Guys who spend that much time in the ECHL cannot be considered major prospects.

Nemec: fugeddabout him.

Malenkyh (sp?): will never come over here.

So I can't see where there is a big dispute about her comment.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:16 am

Bowser wrote:Those of you defending Karen Price better take a hard long look at yourself in the mirror and let's review.

I think our defense core is plenty fine with the exception of a RH defenseman with the skill set and talent of EJ.

A little research and the proper designation about adding Erik Johnson would not have generated my response....

I looked, I'm good. Once again, she doesn't say the Pens a F'd afterthose two... she just says it gets thin. Beyong those two are there any top prospects? No. And that is what she said. Are there capable guys that will probably have long NHL careers? Sure... But she isn't denying that.

Maybe some people are just looking WAY too deep into things to try to find issues with what Price rites. He ACTUAL statement was NOT off base. Maybe someone has to look in the mirror for a while... but it's not me.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bowser on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:39 pm

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree about this guys.

The Penguins are plenty fine along the blueline and adding Johnson would be great but the Pens have a much GREATER need for top six forwards to join Crosby and Malkin.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:48 pm

We definately will have to agree to disagree, because you are definately looking for something that is not there.

Bowser wrote:"If defenseman Erik Johnson's available, the Penguins would probably take him, given that, after Noah Welch, their prospects on the blue line thin out."

This is the quote you put in and took exception to. Nothing you have said has disproven this quote at all. As I said earlier, your list actually helped support this quote. As with my blind hate of Jagr, your apparent blind hate of Price has completely clouded you to even your own posts.

... you ... you Price hater you!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:07 pm

I hate prices too. They are way too high, at least gas anyways. But the nod goes to the argument that the blueline prospects thin out quick. You can never have enough quality blueline prospects. If nothing else they are major bargaining chips.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:23 pm

Jake wrote:Karen Price is a nitwit.

I enjoy bashing her stuff even if I have to talk out of my own butt to do it. Not a gender thing, I just think she phones it in so to speak.
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins