Darren Dreger of Sportsnet talks GM candidates...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Darren Dreger of Sportsnet talks GM candidates...

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:24 pm

Mentioned Michel Goulet, Steve Tambellini, Jim Nill, and Pat Quinn by name (plus one or two others I missed). Says the uncertainty of the team won't factor much into getting people interested.

They also mentioned rumors of the Pens being interested in Pat Brisson. That's the same Pat Brisson that serves as Crosby and Malkin's agent. Dreger dismissed it immediately but Rob King and Pat Parris continued to talk about it after the interview was finished.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:28 pm

You'll notice Mr Sawyer mentioned agents as possible candidates during the news conference as well.

Hmmmmm
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:40 pm

At the very least, having Brisson at the helm certainly helps the Pens chances of retaining Crosby and Malkin for the long haul. With the salary cap in place, you'd have to think we should at least be able to keep one of them for good because affording them is not an issue. It certainly is highly unlikely that they'd both spend their whole careers in Pittsburgh. It would be tough having two centers making the max salary when you also (hopefully) have Fleury in net and maybe Whitney on D that needs to be kept. But I guess that's way down the road.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fast B on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:08 pm

Henry Hank wrote:At the very least, having Brisson at the helm certainly helps the Pens chances of retaining Crosby and Malkin for the long haul. With the salary cap in place, you'd have to think we should at least be able to keep one of them for good because affording them is not an issue. It certainly is highly unlikely that they'd both spend their whole careers in Pittsburgh. It would be tough having two centers making the max salary when you also (hopefully) have Fleury in net and maybe Whitney on D that needs to be kept. But I guess that's way down the road.

Maybe it's just me, but this sort of situation would just scream "conflict of interest" to me. We've already dealt with the owner-captain-erstwhile-GM situation, we don't need an agent-GM and the problems that could cause.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:12 pm

I think a major potential problem is what happens if/when he gets fired? It probably is not a good idea to do anything that could damage the relationship your organization has with the agent of your two best players.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:15 pm

Fast B wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:At the very least, having Brisson at the helm certainly helps the Pens chances of retaining Crosby and Malkin for the long haul. With the salary cap in place, you'd have to think we should at least be able to keep one of them for good because affording them is not an issue. It certainly is highly unlikely that they'd both spend their whole careers in Pittsburgh. It would be tough having two centers making the max salary when you also (hopefully) have Fleury in net and maybe Whitney on D that needs to be kept. But I guess that's way down the road.

Maybe it's just me, but this sort of situation would just scream "conflict of interest" to me. We've already dealt with the owner-captain-erstwhile-GM situation, we don't need an agent-GM and the problems that could cause.

Just as Mike Barnett did in Phoenix, Brisson would have to give up his agent license.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:21 pm

Pitts wrote:
Fast B wrote:

Just as Mike Barnett did in Phoenix, Brisson would have to give up his agent license.

Ah, I didn't realize Barnett had been an agent before taking the Coyotes job. That makes a little more sense, but do we know how Brisson would even do as a GM? Seems like there could be an awkward transition, but I don't claim to be an expert at this stuff.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:28 pm

If they hire Brisson they may as well have just kept CP.
Reilly

Postby Paulie_Walnutz on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:25 am

I could see why an agent would make a decent GM. These guys make a living of negotiating, making sure their players are happy, and luring other players to become thier clients. However, what happens when, say 15 years ago, the Pens hire Lemieux's agent. Then the team decides not to renew is contract. Then that leave Lemieux bitter because he and his agent have been so close for many years. The Lemieux feels like he is betraying his good friend and agent by continuing to play for the team who just fired his buddy.
I don't like it.
Paulie_Walnutz

Postby ville5 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:43 am

Reilly wrote:If they hire Brisson they may as well have just kept CP.

Exactly. Brisson and Lemieux are buddy-buddy for a long time. FOM.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Darren Dreger of Sportsnet talks GM candidates...

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:43 am

netwolf wrote:Mentioned Pat Quinn by name

This would absolutely disgust me. I almost gagged when I heard him say that. He is another dinosaur. We need new NHL talent, not guys who built their reputation 30 years ago. I could be mistaken here, but in his "long and distinguished" career, has this guy ever won a Cup as GM or coach? I sure can't recall any. So why on earth would you hire a guy to be a GM of a young team when that guy is notorious for hating young players? This makes so little sense as to be laughable.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Darren Dreger of Sportsnet talks GM candidates...

Postby freq019 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:53 am

Mad City Mike wrote:
netwolf wrote:Mentioned Pat Quinn by name

This would absolutely disgust me. I almost gagged when I heard him say that. He is another dinosaur. We need new NHL talent, not guys who built their reputation 30 years ago. I could be mistaken here, but in his "long and distinguished" career, has this guy ever won a Cup as GM or coach? I sure can't recall any. So why on earth would you hire a guy to be a GM of a young team when that guy is notorious for hating young players? This makes so little sense as to be laughable.

No he never won a cup but took the nucks there and had the leafs at the doorstep when they lost in the ECF to the canes. But I agree his track record isn't stellar surely not better than CP's so I would see that as a step back or a lateral move at best.
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins