Bob Pompeani summed up CP's departure by saying...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bob Pompeani summed up CP's departure by saying...

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:42 pm

"Times change. He didn't and that's why a change was made."

How true. He also said Penguins fans should remember all the good Patrick did prior to the team's most recent bankruptcy.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:54 pm

I don't know, team looked pretty good in 2001. Pens could have won a lot more in the past 5 years had they been able to afford their stars.
Reilly

Postby netwolf on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:08 pm

But how much of that run in 2001 was from the boost they got from the return of Lemieux? It was a great run and they had a good team, but it was also a lucky run, especially against Buffalo. A crazy goal where the puck goes to the rafters before landing right on Lemieux's stick kept them in that series and anytime Kaspar scores the OT winner, you know you were lucky. :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Judy on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:09 pm

And Bozo was an idiot!!!! He pretty much downplayed the Pens getting to the playoffs before the Pirates because "16 teams make the playoffs so even with a losing record the Pens have a chance."

What an ass!
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby spi on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:09 pm

Or if patrick got some value for Jagr, Kovy, Lang, Straka, Kasper.

Dont forget that when Jagr was traded to the craps, the Rags traded Kim Johnson to the Flyers fro ERIC LINDROS!!!
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:11 am

spi wrote:Or if patrick got some value for Jagr, Kovy, Lang, Straka, Kasper.

Dont forget that when Jagr was traded to the craps, the Rags traded Kim Johnson to the Flyers fro ERIC LINDROS!!!

Lang and Francis were killers - left for nothing in return at all. At least the other trades got something in return, even if the value was debatable.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:02 am

I'm assuming you know for a fact that the Rangers offered the same deal to the Penguins? Because if not, this post has no meaning.

The Pens wanted to rid salary, not add roster players. Was the trade bad? Certainly. CP should have done what he could to get draft picks rather than prospects. He didn't. Jagr and Lindros are two totally different players, that attacted different teams. The return for one has no significance on the return of the other.

If we start looking at other trades as a model, the Pens should have gotten the entire Caps' roster when comparing the deal to the one that sent Yashin to the Islanders. Included in that deal were Redden, Chara, and a draft pick that turned into Spezza.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:53 am

Defence21 wrote:

I'm assuming you know for a fact that the Rangers offered the same deal to the Penguins? Because if not, this post has no meaning.

The Pens wanted to rid salary, not add roster players. Was the trade bad? Certainly. CP should have done what he could to get draft picks rather than prospects. He didn't. Jagr and Lindros are two totally different players, that attacted different teams. The return for one has no significance on the return of the other.

If we start looking at other trades as a model, the Pens should have gotten the entire Caps' roster when comparing the deal to the one that sent Yashin to the Islanders. Included in that deal were Redden, Chara, and a draft pick that turned into Spezza.

I'm pretty sure that Redden was not involved in that deal. He was sent to the Sens a lot earlier than that, because he's been in the NHL since 96 with the Sens, and Yashin was traded on draft day in 2001.

The deal was Chara, 2nd overall, and something else I think.

Anyways, the biggest reason that Patrick didn't get anything for Jagr is due to money. . . Not in an excuse sort of way, but in the way that he was kept for too long and was entering a time where only one or two teams could afford what he was going to get.
MrKnowNothing

Postby DrBoni on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:58 am

CP's last snatch was Herb Brooks, in my opinion. That, coupled with Mario, spearheaded that team to the conference finals. I credit CP for bringing him back on an interim basis for that run.

After that, the team and Patrick's enthusiasm were torn apart because of the hard times off the ice. A glimmer of hope appeared over the summer, but it was too late for the weary Craig Patrick to revive his senses and the team. Mario wanted a chance to win, and CP tried to deliver. Patrick hasn't had a chance to work on his own terms for a long time, but few GM's do anymore. It's the nature of the competative 'win now' climate.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:05 am

Defence21 wrote:I'm assuming you know for a fact that the Rangers offered the same deal to the Penguins? Because if not, this post has no meaning.

I'll take door #2 Chuck...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins