I didn't know where to post this. Hockey related in general.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

I didn't know where to post this. Hockey related in general.

Postby Jesse on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:32 am

Tonight I went to a show in the Southside of Pittsburgh to see one of my favorite bands. Sadly, while I was there, my car was broken into and everything I had was stolen.

That, unfortnetly, included every piece of hockey equipment I own. Jersey's, pads, skates, pants, shinpads, gloves. The only thing they left was the old, beat-up sherwood's that I use.

I suppose that this eliminates me from playing for a long time. The police came, (told me that homeowner's insurance covers everything in the car? I don't buy that one at all), took an account of everything and I estimated that the total cost of the hockey bag and it's contents was well over $1,000. Most of the items have been accumulated over the years. Some are hand-me-downs from guys that I've had the privedlge of taking the rink with over my last few sessions as a player at the esteemed Island Sports Center.

I guess the reason I'm posting this is for my love of hockey. I am a college student, I live paycheck to paycheck. There isn't any way I am just going to up and have new equipment tomorrow. Sadly, I think I'm eliminated from playing for a long while.

I'll cut it short here. I guess what I'm saying is enjoy the time you spend watching or playing the game. It really is poetry on Ice or Rollerblades. There is no other sport like it, and when someone violates your property like they did mine, they ruin your chances of continuing on playing and it's then that you realize that a lot of times things like that are taken for granted.

Enjoy it.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby topshelf on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:55 am

That is really sh***y, dude. As a fellow hockey player I feel your pain. If homeowner's ensurance doesn't cover it, I'm sure some people here can steer you in the right direction to getting some equiptment to hold you over until you get some money.
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pops16 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:59 am

Homeowners should cover it, if you have it. Also,if you rent, you may check that policy too. Renters insurance covers a lot of things you may not think of.

BTW it takes a real scumbag to steal hockey equipment. You can't get a lot of money selling it, so there really is no reason to take it. If you find who did it, I'd like to help kick his *** on principle.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 44bash on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:20 am

in case this guys insurance doesn't cover it, does anyone want to start a collection?

I have a pair of Pants and gloves that I could donate
44bash

Postby Ashamed87 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:34 am

I have some XL shoulder pads and an old helmet with a half shield, if u want em Ill ship em for ya
Ashamed87

Postby Pops16 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:37 am

No idea what his size is.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: I didn't know where to post this. Hockey related in gene

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:16 am

Jesse wrote:Tonight I went to a show in the Southside of Pittsburgh to see one of my favorite bands. Sadly, while I was there, my car was broken into and everything I had was stolen.

That, unfortnetly, included every piece of hockey equipment I own. Jersey's, pads, skates, pants, shinpads, gloves. The only thing they left was the old, beat-up sherwood's that I use.

I suppose that this eliminates me from playing for a long time. The police came, (told me that homeowner's insurance covers everything in the car? I don't buy that one at all), took an account of everything and I estimated that the total cost of the hockey bag and it's contents was well over $1,000. Most of the items have been accumulated over the years. Some are hand-me-downs from guys that I've had the privedlge of taking the rink with over my last few sessions as a player at the esteemed Island Sports Center.

I guess the reason I'm posting this is for my love of hockey. I am a college student, I live paycheck to paycheck. There isn't any way I am just going to up and have new equipment tomorrow. Sadly, I think I'm eliminated from playing for a long while.

I'll cut it short here. I guess what I'm saying is enjoy the time you spend watching or playing the game. It really is poetry on Ice or Rollerblades. There is no other sport like it, and when someone violates your property like they did mine, they ruin your chances of continuing on playing and it's then that you realize that a lot of times things like that are taken for granted.

Enjoy it.

Jesse, post sizes for the pieces of equipment you use. I have a pair of old skates (size 8) that I would offer up, and lots of other bits and pieces. I'm sure you could get a full set of equipment in no time from folks here.

I have CCM full leather gloves that I haven't worn in 2 years, but they are in great shape. I may have elbow pads as well. I'd throw it in a box and ship it to you no problem.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby schreibdog on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:28 am

Hey Jesse,
Really sorry to hear about what happened to ya. I have a spare black CCM helmet and a cage and an unused half-shield that you are more than welcome to have. Also, I believe I have a spare pair of Medium CCM ice shin guards around here and a pair of Koho pants (I think they're size small)...Just let me know, buddy.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:32 am

schreibdog wrote:Hey Jesse,
Really sorry to hear about what happened to ya. I have a spare black CCM helmet and a cage and an unused half-shield that you are more than welcome to have. Also, I believe I have a spare pair of Medium CCM ice shin guards around here and a pair of Koho pants (I think they're size small)...Just let me know, buddy.

So between you and I alone, all he would be missing are elbow pads and shoulder pads. I may even have the elbow pads if I dig around down in my equipment graveyard.

Skates, that's the big issue. As I said, I have a pair of Bauer size 8's and perhaps a size 8 1/2 as well.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Judy on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:13 pm

Ahhhh. What a bunch of sweethearts you guys are!

This is turning into a warm and fuzzy thread. :lol:
Judy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Peter on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:18 pm

Sorry to hear that. Do you always keep your equipment in your car?
Peter

Postby freq019 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:23 pm

Peter wrote:Sorry to hear that. Do you always keep your equipment in your car?

and if he does I feel worse for the guy who stole than i do for him :lol:

Seriously hockey gear is some of the nastiest stuff on the planet, what would someone have to be on to grab a stinky ass bag and say yeah this will score me some good money??? seriously1

Disclaimer**no offense jesse I am just assuming your gear stinks like most hockey gear**
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby saveourpens on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:49 pm

I have some shoulder pads that look almost brand new. I used them for a little while but I realized that they were too big for me. I believe they are a size large and would fit an adult about 5 8' to 6 0'
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dagny on Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:01 am

Geez... I'm a blubbering idiot. :cry:

Half way through the thread, you guys just really touched my heart. I've tried to explain how exceptional some of the people I've met through this board are... but words can't do it. If I had the means, I'd gladly contribute as well. You guys are awesome!

Good luck, recovering your losses... It really is a special group of people that congegrate here. :D
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

I got a Bauer 4000 helmet id be glad to give you

Postby MariosMilitia on Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:19 am

Man that really sucks, i would prob cry for days on end if that was me. I hope you get what you need. I got a Bauer 4000 helmet id be glad to give you
MariosMilitia

Re: I didn't know where to post this. Hockey related in gene

Postby NIN on Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:30 am

Jesse wrote:Tonight I went to a show in the Southside of Pittsburgh to see one of my favorite bands. Sadly, while I was there, my car was broken into and everything I had was stolen.

Enjoy it.

I feel sorry for your misfortune, I lived there for over 20 years and it is worse then ever. They spray paint your cars, they tore down my moms privacy fence ( I will punish them if I ever find out who), not to mention the lack of parking.

I lived in 3 different places in SS and I have a dozen stories from comming home to find my front door kicked in to being woken up in the middle of the night to watch to drug heads beat up 2 narcotic officers outside my place.
NIN

Postby Hoox81 on Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:57 am

Jesse, seriously consider listing your sizes on here. I, too, have some equipment I could part with (skates, elbow pads, etc) and if the size fits, you're welcome to it.

Hopefully, your insurance (if you have it) covers the equipment, although I'm skeptical they will... I had my car stolen while I lived in LA and had two sticks ($100 per) stolen. I had renters insurance but the loss wasn't covered. Also, you may have an issue getting full replacement value for the equipment you lost.

Otherwise, it already sounds like the LGP group can outfit you in the meantime.

When it comes down to it, hockey players are one of the tightest knit groups out there (and this thread alone is proving it).

Keep the faith...
Hoox81
Hoox81
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jmh470 on Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:34 am

I have some old and cheap size 11 1/2 skates if those would fit you.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ashamed87 on Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:58 am

When my friend had his car broken into all he did was go to the places he bought the things that were stolen and had them print up recipts to show the value and he got a check for most of the things stolen.....
Ashamed87

Postby Jim on Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:20 pm

I want a Jeep... can anyone hook me up with one of those???
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:41 pm

Jesse, a while back I had my car broken into the night before a tournament and had to buy everything new at the pro-shop. Really sucked. Homeowners covered it because my car was parked in the driveway but my parents had to shell out all the money first and then get reimbursed (this was 10 years ago). A week or so later I was checking out a play it again sports and found my sticks and a few other things there (my jersey and $250 skates were absent though). I walked outside, called the police and came in with them asking where they got all the stuff. The thing I hated was they couldn't remember who walked in with all that equipment just one week ago. The cop was useless because I wanted them arrested for buying stolen merchandise and she looked at me like I was crazy (even though I was taking a law case and just covered the subject a few weeks prior).

Anyways, they gave me my stuff back no questions asked and it sucks that I'm an honest person because I could have taken a lot more stuff because they insisted they had no idea who brings what in to sell.

My words of advice are to check all the consignment shops and pawn shops around you that sell used gear. Chances are the people who stole your stuff did it to sell and make a quick buck and a lot of times they will tkae next to nothing to sell it to these stores and the stores won't put up much of a fight if you can identify your old equipment because the sooner you are out of there the sooner they can go back buying cheap stolen goods..
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys, the last thing I expected out of this thread were offers for equipment. I had only initially planned to speak about hockey and my love for it.

I appreciate all the messages concerning equipment. Right now, I am waiting for the Insurance company to contact me back regarding any possible money I may or may not get.

Once I get that sorted out, I'll go from there. I might take you guys up on some things. I just need to see about everything.

Like I said, this board amazes me. I really didn't expect people to offer me equipment, I just wanted to let everyone know what happened and I was upset so I needed to vent. Haha.

Anyway, I think I'm placing a hold on my current session of hockey anyway. I lost a lot of stuff outside of the realm of hockey as well and I need to get myself together here and figure out what is going on. It doesn't help that all this stuff occured during finals week too. That's even worse, haha.

But thanks guys, I'll keep everyones offers in mind and I sincerely thank the people of this board for being so generous.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins