Report: Country Club Officially Burned To The Ground

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Report: Country Club Officially Burned To The Ground

Postby ville5 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:46 am

Rex wrote:The ending of the Country Club has been rumored for months, but is there any doubt as to who mainly runs this organization now? Ken Sawyer firmly took control, at least publicly yesterday in my opinion. Craig, it's been a nice ride, but it's time to go. I believe the organEYEzation needs to look long and hard at the organizations who "get it", mainly Ottawa, Edmonton, Detriot, for example, and "pluck" a great, young, aggressive, hockey mind to build this team around the core of young talent.

Dont jump the gun too quickly. These rumors of Brisson worry me. An agent as GM? Get real! An old buddy of Lemieux?? Again? Hope this is just that, a RUMOR.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:55 am

Isn't Barnett the GM in Phoenix? He was a former agent. Of course, they pretty much sucked this year. ;)
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:57 am

Hockeynut! wrote:Isn't Barnett the GM in Phoenix? He was a former agent. Of course, they pretty much sucked this year. ;)

Yeah he has sucked. But I was more referring to hiring someone for a job that has ZERO experience. We all know how that turns out. Plus this guys a FOM.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

welcome to F O S

Postby penny lane on Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:06 am

ville5 wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:Isn't Barnett the GM in Phoenix? He was a former agent. Of course, they pretty much sucked this year. ;)

Yeah he has sucked. But I was more referring to hiring someone for a job that has ZERO experience. We all know how that turns out. Plus this guys a FOM.

I thought Brisson was Sid's agent & also E Malkin's?
Maybe looking towards him as the assistant GM & cap mixology
person.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: welcome to F O S

Postby ville5 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:33 am

penny lane wrote:I thought Brisson was Sid's agent & also E Malkin's?
Maybe looking towards him as the assistant GM & cap mixology
person.

"You could be an assistant GM, a former GM, you could be an agent, you could be none of the above," Mr. Sawyer said.

That unsolicited reference to agents was striking because the name of Pat Brisson, co-managing director of IMG Hockey, began to circulate as a potential replacement for Mr. Patrick earlier this month.

Still, Mr. Brisson, a longtime friend of the team's primary owner, Mario Lemieux, whose agency represents Penguins center Sidney Crosby and highly regarded prospect Evgeni Malkin, was adamant last Friday that, while he won't rule out any possibility, he is content with his job at IMG.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Pat Quinn?

Postby Nihar on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:46 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Pat Quinn. Instant credibility to the organization, good drafting history, knows what he wants out of a team and an organization, etc. Part of the old guard, on the other hand, and not necessarily the Theo Epstein-style young, ambitious, energetic genius that I feel this organization could use. And there seem to be a number of those.

They need to hire a few people: GM, assistant GM (one of these two ought to be right out of the business world since it's gonna be complicated balancing long-term deals for our young studs with the salary cap and -- hopefully -- the future fiscal growth of the league which will make that salary cap grow), and a director of player personnel. Why not a new head scout too? Malone has been pretty inconsistent in the past decade, especially with middle- and late-round selections.

Thoughts?
Nihar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:48 pm

So how long does EJ last?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:04 pm

ville5 wrote:Still, Mr. Brisson, a longtime friend of the team's primary owner, Mario Lemieux....

Is it just me, or did you get a shiver down your spine when you read that line?

No more Friends of Mario!
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby kovyman1127 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:26 pm

If they make EJ the GM I'll puke....
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:46 pm

Fast B wrote:
ville5 wrote:Still, Mr. Brisson, a longtime friend of the team's primary owner, Mario Lemieux....

Is it just me, or did you get a shiver down your spine when you read that line?

No more Friends of Mario!

Yes sir. My whole body shakes like it's in the middle of a 7.7 on the Richter.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DrBoni on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:52 pm

I think the Brisson "rumor" is fueled purely by speculation on Molinari's part. I don't see it being very likely that the agent of the team's two biggest stars would be brought in. I've learned something about Sawyer. When he wants people to read into his comments, he's very good at dropping enough clues to get the picture (see arena situation). But when he's guarding his tongue, there's not much to find. I think this is one of those circustances.

EJ's departure will go along with his retirement, he's not going anywhere until then. But I'm ok with that, as long as he doesn't have a hands on position with the players.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins