Player End of Year Review

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Player End of Year Review

Postby davemess on Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:30 am

Just my opinions..... nothing more nothing less.

Sidney Crosby : 81 GP, 39 G, 63 A, 102 P, 110 PIM's, -1 , 20:07 TOI/G
What more can you about the Kid, he has done things nobody has ever done at his age.
Grade : A+

John Leclair : 73 GP, 22 G, 29 A, 51 P, 61 PIM's, -24 , 15:45 TOI/G
As a TV advert in the UK says…. “does exactly what it says on the Tinâ€￾. LeClair got the 20 goals we expected while being an experienced hand around the young guys. CP got a lot of abuse for the signing but I think it was the best of the summer’s moves.
Grade : B-

Ryan Malone : 77 GP, 22 G, 22 A, 44 P, 63 PIM's, -22 , 18:05 TOI/G
Similar to Gonchar in that he had basically 2 seasons, an awful first and an excellent second. His numbers haven’t gone up much from his Rookie year but he was also adapting to a mid-season change of position. His 5 Shorthanded goals lead the Penguins. Will be interesting to see if he shifts back to Wing next season if Malkin arrives.

Zigmund Palffy : 42 GP, 11 G, 31 A, 42 P, 12 PIM's, 5 , 19:19 TOI/G
Forced to retire due to injury at the mid-way point of the season. His early season contributions where one of the few plusses for the Franchise.
Grade : N/A

Colby Armstrong : 47 GP, 16 G, 24 A, 40 P, 58 PIM's, 15 , 19:04 TOI/G
A real bright spot in the second half of the season, his chemistry with Crosby was a real key to the teams good late season form. If the team are able to add a Scoring Winger as the 3rd cog to the Crosby/Armstrong wheel we could have a very strong 1s line for next season.
Grade : A-

Michel Ouellet : 50 GP, 16 G, 16 A, 32 P, 16 PIM's, -13 , 14:01 TOI/G
Being one of Theriens guys might be the only thing that saves Ouellet’s place for next season. He has shown flashes of goal scoring at times but is so cold at others, a trend that has continued from his AHL days.
Grade : C-

Andy Hilbert : 47 GP, 12 G, 15 A, 27 P, 38 PIM's, 4 , 13:03 TOI/G
I think most people didn’t expect to much out of a waiver-wire pick up so just seemed to be joining to fill the roster spot vacated by Recchi. However has shown himself to be a player of some potential and should return next season.

Tomas Surovy : 53 GP, 12 G, 13 A, 25 P, 45 PIM's, -13 , 13:35 TOI/G
Another player who’s scorings burst where rather streaky, he has been playing hurt and you wonder how much that hurt his game late in the year. I suspect he is still a question mark for next season, he is not suitable for checking duty or good enough for top 6 responsibilities.
Grade : D

Mario Lemieux : 26 GP, 7 G, 15 A, 22 P, 16 PIM's, -16 , 19:22 TOI/G
We miss you Mario

Eric Boguniecki : 47 GP, 6 G, 10 A, 16 P, 33 PIM's, -3 , 11:06 TOI/G
Proved to be a very hard worker during his time with the team, he seemed willing to do the hard work needed in our own end. I suspect the team would like him to return but as a UFA that has to be in doubt.
Grade : C+

Erik Christensen : 33 GP, 6 G, 7 A, 13 P, 34 PIM's, -3 , 14:16 TOI/G
Has the talent to be an NHL player but I suspect it wont be with the Penguins, we are very deep at centre and Christensen just doesn’t have the defensive talents to be used as a 3rd line Centre. A shift to Wing is his only hope with the Penguins. Had one excellent and one uneventful spell with the team over the year.

Jani Rita : 51 GP, 6 G, 4 A, 10 P, 10 PIM's, -6 , 08:43 TOI/G
Played a lot of games for a guy of his talent to only have gathered 10 Points. His game just isn’t there and a couple of teams have seen that now, he is unlikely to return.
Grade : D-

Konstantin Koltsov : 60 GP, 3 G, 6 A, 9 P, 20 PIM's, -10 , 13:14 TOI/G
Continued to show that he has World Class Wheels but hands of Stone. Has grown into a valuable fore checker and Penalty Kill Guy.

Maxime Talbot : 48 GP, 5 G, 3 A, 8 P, 59 PIM's, -12 , 10:57 TOI/G
Has most of his best moments on the PK this year but showed very little 5 on 5. The team believes he is capable of much more and returned him to the AHL to work on the offensive side of his game. 4th Centre job will be his too lose next Camp.
Grade : C

Lasse Pirjeta : 25 GP, 4 G, 3 A, 7 P, 18 PIM's, 4 , 09:14 TOI/G
Lasse we hardly knew yah…… returned to Europe.

Niklas Nordgren : 58 GP, 4 G, 2 A, 6 P, 34 PIM's, -8 , 07:04 TOI/G
Showed very little during his time with the Penguins, I cant see him returning for next season.
Grade : F

Matt Murley : 41 GP, 1 G, 5 A, 6 P, 24 PIM's, -9 , 11:28 TOI/G
Similar to Talbot but without the Potential to add more to his 5 on 5 game, I cannot see him being retained.
Grade : D+

Andre Roy : 42 GP, 2 G, 1 A, 3 P, 116 PIM's, -3 , 05:03 TOI/G
Was very limited in his fighting duties due to a major facial injury early in the season. Took stupid Penalties at times and wasn’t quite the guy we had hoped. Hopefully a new year will bring new improved play.

Shane Endicott : 41 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 2 P, 43 PIM's, -9 , 11:43 TOI/G
Utter total Complete Failure…… did not live up to the promise I and many others believe he had.

Matt Hussey : 13 GP, 0 G, 1 A, 1 P, 0 PIM's, -5 , 10:16 TOI/G
Couple of Injury fills, no real samples of his game.

Ryan Vandenbussche : 20 GP, 1 G, 0 A, 1 P, 42 PIM's, 0 , 04:19 TOI/G
Played at the start of the year while Roy was out, failed to do enough to protect our Stars from rough treatment.

Guillaume Lefebvre : 9 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 P, 9 PIM's, -3 , 12:20 TOI/G
Don’t even remember him being with the team, that isn’t a good sign.

Sergei Gonchar : 75 GP, 12 G, 46 A, 58 P, 100 PIM's, -13 , 24:00 TOI/G
His early struggles are now a distant memory due to a second half surge that saw his play at both ends of the ice improve greatly. If he can continue that strong play from the start of next season any doubts over his addition should be removed. 58 Points put him second in team scoring.

Ryan Whitney : 68 GP, 6 G, 32 A, 38 P, 85 PIM's, -7 , 23:49 TOI/G
Rookie Defensemen are not supposed to be capable of this kind of play, solid all round game and 38 Points while not always drawing first unit PP time are all excellent signs for the future. Most impressive was his Ice Time though, almost 24 Minutes per Game is a staggering effort. Should only improve next season, specially if he links up again with Welch to recreate their AHL Magic.

Josef Melichar : 72 GP, 3 G, 12 A, 15 P, 66 PIM's, -2 , 17:26 TOI/G
Had a very up and down season this year, his stats would suggest that he had a good year but too often he seemed to be making vital errors that cost goals. For a player noted for his consistency this is definitely a worry and I would have questions about how secure his position on the Roster for next season.

Brooks Orpik : 64 GP, 2 G, 7 A, 9 P, 124 PIM's, -3 , 18:50 TOI/G
Continued to play a physical brand of hockey that caused a few problem incidents during the season, that needs to be cleaned out of his game long term. He more than most struggled with the new rules and it took some time for him to adapt what contact was and wasn’t allowed. Next year should be a real make or break for Orpik, its time for him to step up and become a top 4 Defenseman on a consistent basis.

Noah Welch : 5 GP, 1 G, 3 A, 4 P, 2 PIM's, 0 , 17:24 TOI/G
Short little sample from Welch at the end of the season was encouraging for next season.

Robert Scuderi : 57 GP, 0 G, 4 A, 4 P, 36 PIM's, -18 , 20:15 TOI/G
Another Defenseman who had an up and down year, showed flashes at times that he could become a very solid NHL talent but at other times looked rather lost. His Partnership with Gonchar in the 2nd half seemed to have a settling influence on both players.

Eric Cairns : 50 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 2 P, 124 PIM's, 1 , 06:32 TOI/G
Was exactly what the team needed at this point, somebody who could throw down and keep Crosby protected. It is no surprise that once Cairns joined the team that the Hatchers of the world where no longer knocking out the Kid’s Teeth. Should be retained for next season, only problem with Cairns is that he plays D rather than F and its hard to have him and his 6 minutes per in the line-up unless we are dressing 7 Dmen.
Grade : B

Lyle Odelein : 27 GP, 0 G, 1 A, 1 P, 50 PIM's, -10 , 16:13 TOI/G
Game seemed to have passed him by, really struggled with the pace of the New NHL. I suspect that he will not return to the NHL at all next season.

Alain Nasreddine : 6 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 P, 8 PIM's, 2 , 15:11 TOI/G
Was surprisingly effective during his short spell up covering injuries, I can see why the WBS Pens staff love him so much. He must be a steadying influence on the younger Defensemen at the AHL Level.

Marc-Andre Fleury : 50 GP, 13-27-6, 3.25 GAA, 0.898 Sv%
The individual Goalie stats are very strong for someone his age, the record is not so good but that is likely more a reflection of the teams play than Fleury. Still has some issues with Rebound Control but that can be resolved with coaching and game experience. Should be the Franchise Goalie for years to come.
Grade : B

Sebastien Caron : 26 GP, 8-9-5, 3.98 GAA, 0.881 Sv%
Very strong record considering the teams struggles this season, Caron has proven to be a pretty strong backup at the NHL Level and he should continue to develop into that role.

Jocelyn Thibault : 16 GP, 1-9-3, 4.46 GAA, 0.876 Sv%
His Season was nothing short of disastrous, terrible play and his record reflects that. A season ending Injury almost seemed like a blessing for both the player and the club. His return for next season must be in serious doubt, we will have 3 goalies under NHL Only contracts and T-Bo should be the odd man out.
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:25 pm

Question about your Thibault grade... Is it possible to give a F- or is F the lowest you can go?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby davemess on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:30 pm

No idea, my understanding of US grading system comes from TV Shows and the Movies :D
davemess
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Reilly on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:08 pm

Id' give Crosby an A-

He was amazing, but he wasn't consistent at face-offs
Reilly

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:28 pm

Reilly wrote:Id' give Crosby an A-

:roll:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ashamed87 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:31 pm

Yeah and that yellow polo he wore in the FSN Pittsburgh ad wasn't very stylish...... :roll:
Ashamed87

anger management

Postby penny lane on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:36 pm

Ashamed87 wrote:

Yeah and that yellow polo he wore in the FSN Pittsburgh ad wasn't very stylish...... :roll:

Needs to attend charm school; clean up that trash mouth :!: 8)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Reilly on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:37 pm

oh, and Crosby took way too many pentalties, most of which were unsportsman like. B+
Reilly

Postby DrBoni on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:45 pm

Reilly, you grade like my trumpet professor.
Last edited by DrBoni on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Player End of Year Review

Postby jmh470 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:46 pm

davemess wrote:John Leclair : 73 GP, 22 G, 29 A, 51 P, 61 PIM's, -24 , 15:45 TOI/G
As a TV advert in the UK says…. “does exactly what it says on the Tinâ€￾. LeClair got the 20 goals we expected while being an experienced hand around the young guys. CP got a lot of abuse for the signing but I think it was the best of the summer’s moves.

Does it also say on the tin "Wildly inconsistent and likes to miss easy chances"?
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:55 pm

I propose the following change:

Quitter
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eberhard on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:55 pm

Reilly wrote:oh, and Crosby took way too many pentalties, most of which were unsportsman like. B+

Yeah, and remember that one time he didn't score on the penalty shot? He totally should have gone 5-hole. B-
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guido on Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:05 pm

pretty accurate, although I would change Whitney from an A- to a B+. He did have an exceptional rookie season, but needs to work on play in his own end. He also has to take passes better, it looked like the blade of his stick was made of rubber sometimes the way the puck just bounced off his stick.

I'd give Sarge a B+ too...that's just me though. He really came into his own the fianl 1/3 of the season.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby freq019 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:00 pm

grading is very subjective if you're looking at the entire NHL the only person who should have gotten an A is Sidney everyone else would be B and lower and one could argue that a B is too high and that should be C and lower. Overall though given that Sid is the benchmark here I liked the original posters grades and I would only tinker a little with them.

If I were grading Sid towards his potential I'd give him a B, because he needs to take less penalties and I think he could shoot more instead of trying to make the nice dish and also because I don't think we've seen his best yet. An A means there is nothing better and no room for improvement, hence the B, IMO
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ashamed87 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:06 pm

freq019 wrote:grading is very subjective if you're looking at the entire NHL the only person who should have gotten an A is Sidney everyone else would be B and lower and one could argue that a B is too high and that should be C and lower. Overall though given that Sid is the benchmark here I liked the original posters grades and I would only tinker a little with them.

If I were grading Sid towards his potential I'd give him a B, because he needs to take less penalties and I think he could shoot more instead of trying to make the nice dish and also because I don't think we've seen his best yet. An A means there is nothing better and no room for improvement, hence the B, IMO

Yeah but when I was in school a 90% was an A, so its still a great effort with room to improve......I give the kid an A
Ashamed87

"B" isn't good enough anymore

Postby penny lane on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:09 pm

freq019 wrote:grading is very subjective if you're looking at the entire NHL the only person who should have gotten an A is Sidney everyone else would be B and lower and one could argue that a B is too high and that should be C and lower. Overall though given that Sid is the benchmark here I liked the original posters grades and I would only tinker a little with them.

In higher Education many discussions that people want grades
of "A"...a B or C grade is considered an insult.
Even with job reviews...have to be the best now.

sid's passing is what he's best at so he feels comfortable; that would have
translated to points with high level winger or Colby from season start. :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: "B" isn't good enough anymore

Postby Admin on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:13 pm

penny lane wrote:In higher Education many discussions that people want grades

It cracks me up that kids can get better than a 4.0 grade point average.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby freq019 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:13 pm

Ashamed87 wrote:
Yeah but when I was in school a 90% was an A, so its still a great effort with room to improve......I give the kid an A

It's just different philosophies of grading to me an A means there is no room for improvement where I think there is. Let me put it this way I know a college professor who believes if you get an A you should not be in the class because it is beneath you, that's my philosophy. Hence the IMO at the end
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: "B" isn't good enough anymore

Postby freq019 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:16 pm

Admin wrote:
penny lane wrote:In higher Education many discussions that people want grades

It cracks me up that kids can get better than a 4.0 grade point average.

freaking honors and AP weighted classes, more specifically AP latin 4 versus honors French/Spanish/German 4 :evil:

:lol:
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OneTimer on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:06 pm

Very nice summary, davemess.
OneTimer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby guiner on Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:49 pm

I can agree with most of them except Surovy. I'm thinking B-. The guy is always hustling back and breaking stuff up, and I totally disagree, with checking. That guy goes into the corners and makes hits to get the puck. He has made great improvements since his first year up with regards to physicallity and defensive awareness.

Mark my words, next year he'll get a shot paired up with either Malkin or Crosby, and he will produce 30 goals. If you extrapolate his goals across an 82 game season, he would likely have hit 20 this year. All of that almost entirely on his own. This guy is a trigger, he needs a setup man.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:34 pm

first of all, whitney took dumb*ss penalties almost as bad as roy.. and apparently eric cairns gets a bye because hes soo tall and "bad-@ss"

when thomas surovy and andy hilbert are sticking up for your star player... it means some goons arent doing their job

other than that... decent job with ratings
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:20 pm

Nice thread idea. My input has been italicized...

Sidney Crosby : 81 GP, 39 G, 63 A, 102 P, 110 PIM's, -1 , 20:07 TOI/G
What more can you about the Kid, he has done things nobody has ever done at his age. He needs to avoid those needless penalties, there is a fine line between passion and foolishness. Also, better communication between is linemates.
Grade : A

John Leclair : 73 GP, 22 G, 29 A, 51 P, 61 PIM's, -24 , 15:45 TOI/G
He was pretty much the worst player on the team during the first 20 games. Once he got into condition he became a solid 3rd line winger and PP specialist, as expected. He is still a liability on the backcheck, it's a skaters league now.

Ryan Malone : 77 GP, 22 G, 22 A, 44 P, 63 PIM's, -22 , 18:05 TOI/G
Similar to Gonchar in that he had basically 2 seasons, an awful first and an excellent second. His numbers haven’t gone up much from his Rookie year but he was also adapting to a mid-season change of position. His 5 Shorthanded goals lead the Penguins. Will be interesting to see if he shifts back to Wing next season if Malkin arrives. Malone hasnt been used properly by either coach all season, He is a top line winger who should always be around the net.

Forced to retire due to injury at the mid-way point of the season. His early season contributions where one of the few plusses for the Franchise. Terribly overrated defensively, he did have his moments however.Grade : D

Colby Armstrong : 47 GP, 16 G, 24 A, 40 P, 58 PIM's, 15 , 19:04 TOI/G
A real bright spot in the second half of the season, his chemistry with Crosby was a real key to the teams good late season form. If the team are able to add a Scoring Winger as the 3rd cog to the Crosby/Armstrong wheel we could have a very strong 1s line for next season. His discission making with the puck has to become better and at times QUICKER.

Michel Ouellet : 50 GP, 16 G, 16 A, 32 P, 16 PIM's, -13 , 14:01 TOI/G
Being one of Theriens guys might be the only thing that saves Ouellet’s place for next season. He has shown flashes of goal scoring at times but is so cold at others, a trend that has continued from his AHL days. Not enough passion from this kid. He seems to have the confidence in his ability but the only way he is going to endure in the NHL while being that slow is to make up for it with heart. He better come to camp fired up and he better let his linemates know (WHOEVER THEY ARE) where he will be and when he wants that puck.

Andy Hilbert : 47 GP, 12 G, 15 A, 27 P, 38 PIM's, 4 , 13:03 TOI/G
I think most people didn’t expect to much out of a waiver-wire pick up so just seemed to be joining to fill the roster spot vacated by Recchi. However has shown himself to be a player of some potential and should return next season. I am not a big fan of this player but he showed me something this season. If he can work on getting a decent slapshot he could be a solid goal-scorer. We REALLY need those.

Tomas Surovy : 53 GP, 12 G, 13 A, 25 P, 45 PIM's, -13 , 13:35 TOI/G
Another player who’s scorings burst where rather streaky, he has been playing hurt and you wonder how much that hurt his game late in the year. I suspect he is still a question mark for next season, he is not suitable for checking duty or good enough for top 6 responsibilities. He is a shooter, he doesnt want to shoot. He is a shooter, he doesnt want to shoot. He IS A SHOOTER SO SHOOT SUROVY!!! SHOOT!!!

Mario Lemieux : 26 GP, 7 G, 15 A, 22 P, 16 PIM's, -16 , 19:22 TOI/G
We miss you Mario. I concur, he played great early on but his linemates and that God awful system ruined any chance for him to gather respectable stats.

Eric Boguniecki : 47 GP, 6 G, 10 A, 16 P, 33 PIM's, -3 , 11:06 TOI/G
Proved to be a very hard worker during his time with the team, he seemed willing to do the hard work needed in our own end. I suspect the team would like him to return but as a UFA that has to be in doubt. He is a decent NHL player. I like him, he has character and toughness. A decent skill set and unselfishness. Therrian doesnt think enough of him to put him on a top line too often when he is playing well but I think he should get that shot more often. Hockey is a streaky game and when Bogs is shooting the puck well he can be dangerous.

Erik Christensen : 33 GP, 6 G, 7 A, 13 P, 34 PIM's, -3 , 14:16 TOI/G
Has the talent to be an NHL player but I suspect it wont be with the Penguins, we are very deep at centre and Christensen just doesn’t have the defensive talents to be used as a 3rd line Centre. A shift to Wing is his only hope with the Penguins. Had one excellent and one uneventful spell with the team over the year. He showed some good skill but his repitoire is very limited, his vision isnt very braod, and his desire to overcome difficult situations on the ice was very suspect. He better get his act together this summer and come ready to play, if not he can rot in the AHL for all I care.

Jani Rita : 51 GP, 6 G, 4 A, 10 P, 10 PIM's, -6 , 08:43 TOI/G
Played a lot of games for a guy of his talent to only have gathered 10 Points. His game just isn’t there and a couple of teams have seen that now, he is unlikely to return. I like the hustle but he isnt very cunning. I think he may be easily rattled by Therrians overbearing personality but I like that about Therrian so Rita better get tougher mentaly if he wants to survive here. He has some skill but that doesnt mean anything if your head is off somewhere else. Get some meds or something Rita or go home to Sweden.

Konstantin Koltsov : 60 GP, 3 G, 6 A, 9 P, 20 PIM's, -10 , 13:14 TOI/G
Continued to show that he has World Class Wheels but hands of Stone. Has grown into a valuable fore checker and Penalty Kill Guy. Koltsov is exactly like a cross country skier who stops to shot at the target but cant steady his hands enouch to hit any of them. His worst enemy is himself. Relax. Breath. Keep it simple. Maybe Malkin could somehow save his career for him. All he needs to do is get 20-30 points a season and he will be one of the best bottom 2 liners in all of hockey.

Maxime Talbot : 48 GP, 5 G, 3 A, 8 P, 59 PIM's, -12 , 10:57 TOI/G
Has most of his best moments on the PK this year but showed very little 5 on 5. The team believes he is capable of much more and returned him to the AHL to work on the offensive side of his game. 4th Centre job will be his too lose next Camp. He is a good all around hockey player, he just needs more NHL experiance. I hope he can be better at faceoffs and the PK next season, he has alot of potential in both of those areas.

Lasse Pirjeta : 25 GP, 4 G, 3 A, 7 P, 18 PIM's, 4 , 09:14 TOI/G
Lasse we hardly knew yah…… returned to Europe. Nice shot when in close but I am so glad he is gone.

Niklas Nordgren : 58 GP, 4 G, 2 A, 6 P, 34 PIM's, -8 , 07:04 TOI/G
Showed very little during his time with the Penguins, I cant see him returning for next season. I wasnt impressed with any area of his game. He can go back to Sweden.

Matt Murley : 41 GP, 1 G, 5 A, 6 P, 24 PIM's, -9 , 11:28 TOI/G
Similar to Talbot but without the Potential to add more to his 5 on 5 game, I cannot see him being retained. Timid and not enough passion. If he bulked up his heart could match his brains and he could be a solid all around NHL player. He is running out of time and I think he is too smart for steroids so he might as well prepare for a nice career in the AHL.

Andre Roy : 42 GP, 2 G, 1 A, 3 P, 116 PIM's, -3 , 05:03 TOI/G
Was very limited in his fighting duties due to a major facial injury early in the season. Took stupid Penalties at times and wasn’t quite the guy we had hoped. Hopefully a new year will bring new improved play. Awful season. He has some value but he better get in shape for camp. If he is going to be an easy going slacker and play undisciplined selfish hockey then I say buy him out or trade him.

Shane Endicott : 41 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 2 P, 43 PIM's, -9 , 11:43 TOI/G
Utter total Complete Failure…… did not live up to the promise I and many others believe he had. He should have a decent season in the AHL in 06-07. After that we will see if he is ready in 07-08.

Matt Hussey : 13 GP, 0 G, 1 A, 1 P, 0 PIM's, -5 , 10:16 TOI/G
Couple of Injury fills, no real samples of his game. Very timid hockey player. Not enough talent to play like Palffy did here.

Ryan Vandenbussche : 20 GP, 1 G, 0 A, 1 P, 42 PIM's, 0 , 04:19 TOI/G
Played at the start of the year while Roy was out, failed to do enough to protect our Stars from rough treatment. I like RVB alot and I hope he returns. He is one of the few players that really earned his paycheck when he played.
Grade :C+

Guillaume Lefebvre : 9 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 P, 9 PIM's, -3 , 12:20 TOI/G
Don’t even remember him being with the team, that isn’t a good sign. He clearly wasnt ready for the NHL but he is a good enough skater to have a future there. He needs to read the rulebook front to back before camp. :D

Sergei Gonchar : 75 GP, 12 G, 46 A, 58 P, 100 PIM's, -13 , 24:00 TOI/G
His early struggles are now a distant memory due to a second half surge that saw his play at both ends of the ice improve greatly. If he can continue that strong play from the start of next season any doubts over his addition should be removed. 58 Points put him second in team scoring. Like all of the players they were victims of some of the worst coaching you will ever see. He better be ready to go next season, there are no easy points and the Pens will have to get out of the gate strong if they are going to avoid a bottom 10 finish.

Ryan Whitney : 68 GP, 6 G, 32 A, 38 P, 85 PIM's, -7 , 23:49 TOI/G
Rookie Defensemen are not supposed to be capable of this kind of play, solid all round game and 38 Points while not always drawing first unit PP time are all excellent signs for the future. Most impressive was his Ice Time though, almost 24 Minutes per Game is a staggering effort. Should only improve next season, specially if he links up again with Welch to recreate their AHL Magic. He is a very dangerous offensive player, he opens up a ton of options for the offense all over the ice. It was asking alot for him to be as good defensively as he is offensively but I know he will get better at it. Like all of the Penguins blueliners, I wish he was meaner around his own net. I dont beleive in giving any forward too much repsct around your own net, the message around there was "we are softies" all season.

Josef Melichar : 72 GP, 3 G, 12 A, 15 P, 66 PIM's, -2 , 17:26 TOI/G
Had a very up and down season this year, his stats would suggest that he had a good year but too often he seemed to be making vital errors that cost goals. For a player noted for his consistency this is definitely a worry and I would have questions about how secure his position on the Roster for next season. His problems, slowness, niceness, screening his own goalie, and he day dreams in front of his own net. He improved upon all of those areas throughout the season and he was tough to beat on most nights. He wasnt dynamic enough to be a top notch PK guy but he was pretty reliable out there at even strength. It was a good season by Melichar standards but I agree with however said that, " it will be a sign that the Penguins are good again when he is out of the lineup".

Brooks Orpik : 64 GP, 2 G, 7 A, 9 P, 124 PIM's, -3 , 18:50 TOI/G
Continued to play a physical brand of hockey that caused a few problem incidents during the season, that needs to be cleaned out of his game long term. He more than most struggled with the new rules and it took some time for him to adapt what contact was and wasn’t allowed. Next year should be a real make or break for Orpik, its time for him to step up and become a top 4 Defenseman on a consistent basis. Orpik had an up and down season. His head and his heart rarely showed up on the same nights but he remains a potential PK horse and can be very intimidating around the net and along the boards as well as open ice.

Noah Welch : 5 GP, 1 G, 3 A, 4 P, 2 PIM's, 0 , 17:24 TOI/G
Short little sample from Welch at the end of the season was encouraging for next season. He is fundamentally sound all over the ice. He pressed too much out there during his short stint. I imagine he will be very reliable once he settles in.

Robert Scuderi : 57 GP, 0 G, 4 A, 4 P, 36 PIM's, -18 , 20:15 TOI/G
Another Defenseman who had an up and down year, showed flashes at times that he could become a very solid NHL talent but at other times looked rather lost. His Partnership with Gonchar in the 2nd half seemed to have a settling influence on both players. Not strong enough on his skates to slow down or punish forecheckers. He doesnt turn back very well while playing the right side. If he bulks up and punishes himself with skating drills he could be an excellent late blueline bloomer.

Eric Cairns : 50 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 2 P, 124 PIM's, 1 , 06:32 TOI/G
Was exactly what the team needed at this point, somebody who could throw down and keep Crosby protected. It is no surprise that once Cairns joined the team that the Hatchers of the world where no longer knocking out the Kid’s Teeth. Should be retained for next season, only problem with Cairns is that he plays D rather than F and its hard to have him and his 6 minutes per in the line-up unless we are dressing 7 Dmen. He is smart, intimidating, and he can survive out there just fine. Best of all, when he gets suspended for impalling a guy or parading someones head around like it were on a pike, Eric Johnson will be called up during his suspenion time. :D
Grade : B+

Lyle Odelein : 27 GP, 0 G, 1 A, 1 P, 50 PIM's, -10 , 16:13 TOI/G
Game seemed to have passed him by, really struggled with the pace of the New NHL. I suspect that he will not return to the NHL at all next season. He just didnt have the legs for the new NHL, his career is over.

Alain Nasreddine : 6 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 P, 8 PIM's, 2 , 15:11 TOI/G
Was surprisingly effective during his short spell up covering injuries, I can see why the WBS Pens staff love him so much. He must be a steadying influence on the younger Defensemen at the AHL Level. He is OK but I dont think you want him hauling too much icetime. I wouldnt be surprised if he made the team over Scuds or Melichar if he prepares better this summer then they do.

Marc-Andre Fleury : 50 GP, 13-27-6, 3.25 GAA, 0.898 Sv%
The individual Goalie stats are very strong for someone his age, the record is not so good but that is likely more a reflection of the teams play than Fleury. Still has some issues with Rebound Control but that can be resolved with coaching and game experience. Should be the Franchise Goalie for years to come. He was sensational, his talent level is NHL all-star material right now. Mental focus is what makes goalies the best ever. He wont ever be called one of thise until he finds that focus and maintains it.

Sebastien Caron : 26 GP, 8-9-5, 3.98 GAA, 0.881 Sv%
Very strong record considering the teams struggles this season, Caron has proven to be a pretty strong backup at the NHL Level and he should continue to develop into that role. I like Caron's resiliance and pressence in net. He is a solid back-up and I wouldnt look anywhere else for that backup goalie.

Jocelyn Thibault : 16 GP, 1-9-3, 4.46 GAA, 0.876 Sv%
His Season was nothing short of disastrous, terrible play and his record reflects that. A season ending Injury almost seemed like a blessing for both the player and the club. His return for next season must be in serious doubt, we will have 3 goalies under NHL Only contracts and T-Bo should be the odd man out. He played awful. He couldnt keep up with the flow of the game. His career is done as far as I am concerned. If he wont play in the AHL then buy him out.
NIN

Postby FuturePens on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:48 pm

You're a nutty man for even thinking that !!! :lol:
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FuturePens on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:48 pm

Reilly wrote:oh, and Crosby took way too many pentalties, most of which were unsportsman like. B+

Now, you're pushing the buttons !!! :shock:
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins