What are the Pens greatest needs this draft?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What are the Pens greatest needs this draft?

Postby DelPen on Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:11 pm

Getting away from the player debate, let's identify what needs the team needs to address in the draft.

#1: A sniper. We have a goalie, strong own the middle and more than adequate defensive prospects throughout the CHL, NCAA, AHL and NHL. What we don't have is a goal scorer. When your best prospect in this area is a guy from Switzerland you have a problem.

#2: A right handed defenseman. I don't care what style he plays, we have practically zero lefties drafted. Get a righty, he'll fit in anywhere.

#3. A 3rd line defensive center. I like Talbot, Stone and a few other prospects but I would like a guy in the mold of a Mike Ricci or a Keith Primeau to make the other teams' best players dread facing him when they play us. Stone might be it but can't hurt to look for a guy like that.

#4. A goalie. MAF is going to be great but it can't hurt to have good goalies keep coming up.

Anything else we need to address or am I way off in what this team needs?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:20 pm

I would draft either Kessel or Johnson first round, whichever is available, then 3 consecutive right handed defensemen. We don't have any and we need them SO badly. I think we're good on goalies for the most part between Chiodo, Sabourin, and Caron (TBO should be gone by next year if you ask me). We're pretty set on centers I think. We've got a lot of flexibility in that department.

A scorer though, either Kessel or a FA pick up is an absolute must this off season. And no Ziggy Palffy's please.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby opie22002 on Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Does anybody else find it the least bit ironic that our greatest need for this season was a center and now we don't want to draft one because we are loaded at that spot? Everybody is saying we need Kessel over Staal because Kessel can play the wing. I just thought it was interesting to see what a difference a year makes.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:26 pm

opie22002 wrote:Does anybody else find it the least bit ironic that our greatest need for this season was a center and now we don't want to draft one because we are loaded at that spot? Everybody is saying we need Kessel over Staal because Kessel can play the wing. I just thought it was interesting to see what a difference a year makes.

We needed a center in August. We won't need a center in 2008. Nothing ironic about it at all.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: What are the Pens greatest needs this draft?

Postby Ben Klingston on Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:32 pm

DelPen wrote:Getting away from the player debate, let's identify what needs the team needs to address in the draft.

Anything else we need to address or am I way off in what this team needs?

:idea: A GM with fresh ideas, attitude, and and unquenchable thirst for success. :idea:
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:01 pm

I would look at skilled wingers as the top need headed in, but almost any team can say that because you can never have enough prospects since so few turn into the 70+ point scorers teams/fans want.

Other than that, I think I would stick to stockpiling depth at most positions, even sticking with a lot of US high school or US Dev. kids who may take a little longer to make the show. Defensive defensemen is something we can't get enough of. It'd be nice to get a top 3/4 potential guy like Mike Weber who is big and has a physical edge to his game.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Reilly on Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:25 pm

They need a right-handed player who can drive to the net and score goals.
Reilly

Postby Jasmine on Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:51 pm

Reilly wrote:
They need a right-handed player who can drive to the net and score goals.

Yes, and also the right-handed defenseman. Word is this will be Sidney's team next year, so shouldn't they draft/sign a scorer who will complement #87? I think that has to be considered.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:57 pm

If the Pens are lucky enough to draft Johnson, then they should select wingers with the following two picks. If they pick Kessel, then two defensemen should follow him.

And there's no need to waste a pick on a goalie. Caron or Sabourin or Goepfert will fill that need. If not, backups are a dime a dozen.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:02 pm

What the big club needs for next year is not necesarily the same as what they should be looking to draft. Off all the players they will pick, maybe 1 will play in the fall but that isn't a lock.

The real question is what do they need in the organization? Right handed defensemen of any type, scoring wingers, shut-down centermen.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:11 am

Agree Netwolf, you can never have enough in the system. They are all prime bargaining chips too if you are close and need one guy to win a cup.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ace on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:04 am

From a quick glance of forwards that are Free Agents this year and are right handed :

Samsonov - would be great, but overpriced, and injury prone, so pass
Langenbrunner - love this guy, and think he would be perfect
Parrish - not sure if he can regain his old form
Isbister - could mesh well with Crosby, then again who can't
Donovan - third line, penalty killer
Park
Mayers - fourth line energy, grinder guy
Roenick (threw that one in just for fun, haha)

The only defenseman i could come up with though was Joe Corvo, which wouldn't be a bad pickup.

Replacing Palffy.....Elias....come on i can dream can't I
Ace
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LexPenguin on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:48 am

Biggest need is a STUD defenseman. If Johnson is there, he is the choice. Defensemen like him aren't around in the second round, let alone after the top 10 choices. You can always get a scorer in rounds two, three and four. Right, no goalies.
LexPenguin

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins