What will it take to pry to first overall from St. Louis

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What will it take to pry to first overall from St. Louis

Postby guiner on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:34 pm

Since we are number 2, the price shouldn't be too steep. Its not like Johnson is as highly regarded as Ovechikin or Crosby was.

Since St. Louis (from what I've read in prior threads) is so devoid of offensive talent. Maybe our first pick with either Christiensen or Surovy plus maybe a 3rd round pick or the like. Remember to land Fleury, moving from 3rd to first overall cost us Mikael Samuelsson, the 3rd pick and our second rounder.

That should give St. Louis a premeir center to pick from and another reasonably talented forward and change.

Hopefully this is the priority of the new GM, whoever it is. We need to get this Johnson, then we will be set up the middle at center with Crosby, Malkin, have a stud on D, and Fleury.

You can't build from the middle any better than that.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Reilly on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:37 pm

They're taking Johnson.
Reilly

Postby DelPen on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:40 pm

Reilly wrote:They're taking Johnson.

They also have the Canes 1st rounder so they can still get some decent players with that pcik and at #31 as well.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:41 pm

If they want Johnson, then it will be obviously a lot more expensive to trade up. Being one pick behind and situated 1-2, it's a different situation than Fleury. Nobody else really needed a goalie and we traded up to make sure we got him.

To approach St. Louis would be tipping the Pens' hand, and they could make the trade even if they don't plan on taking Johnson. I don't think this is necessary, especially for Christensen as you suggest.

If anything, I think we should look at trading down. If Johnson happens to go first, we should have contingency plans in place on draft day and get on the phone quickly.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:28 pm

I would give them Letang and a 3rd rounder.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWW on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:03 pm

Since we need a finisher for the top line (perhaps not next year, but the years to come) I wouldn´t trade up.
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PittsburghSportsFan on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:13 pm

I wouldn't trade up at all.
PittsburghSportsFan

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:00 pm

There would need to be contingencies all over the place.

I like Christensen quite a bit and would be hesitant to part with him. I know you have to offer quality for quality, but Christensen might be too much to move up one spot. I definitely pass on that offer unless I have Malkin locked up. Besides, if the Blues did swap with us they would be looking at drafting a high end center anyhow. I would think a winger would be more attractive to them, but Armstrong is obviously out of the question and I'm not sure Surovy or Ouellet would interest them much. Maybe Hilbert?

Even if Malkin will be here, moving Christensen still leaves a hole in the roster. We'll need a top 6 forward from free agency. Christensen may be a candidate to move to wing.

What is Lalime's status? If they are free of his contract, might Caron interest them? He put up decent numbers considering how bad the team was. It would be really nice if we could trick them into taking Thibault. :twisted:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:09 pm

PittsburghSportsFan wrote:I wouldn't trade up at all.

Me either. No matter what the Penguins are going to get a great young player whether it's Johnson, Staal, or Kessel. There is no reason to needlessly move guys in your organization out. Letang especially, he is a great skater and could have an NHL future. Now if St. Louis is stupid enough to take a Nordgren or a Rita then OK.
NIN

Postby Guido on Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:24 pm

PittsburghSportsFan wrote:I wouldn't trade up at all.

Neither would I. In fact, I'd trade down. Get a goal scorer for the 2nd overall pick and nordgren or rita or surovy.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins