Buccigross: Fleury falls to #11 in the class of 2003

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Pitts on Fri May 05, 2006 10:00 pm

Draftnik wrote:
Pitts wrote:
DelPen wrote:I watched the 3rd period og the Ducks-Flames game last night. I jeard Phaneuf's name once. He's good but he did nothing in the game last night when it mattered.

I watched the last few Calgary games and the announcers consistently said he was showing rookie playoff jitters. He definitley tailed off in the playoffs.

Phaneuf played with a broken foot.

I did not know that.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Sat May 06, 2006 6:55 am

And why are you protecting Fleury? Check his stats, he is not an elite goalie yet.

And name me one goalie over the last twenty years who reached "elite" status at 21 years of age. And when I say "elite", I don't mean just someone who became their team's primary goaltender at the age of 21. I mean someone who was one of the top ten goalies in the league by his most important numbers (save % and GAA)...someone who was one of the best two or three players on his team...someone who was the driving force behind his team getting to the postseason. Because that's what an elite player is. Eric Staal is an elite player. Dion Phaneuf is an elite player. Fleury? Not an elite player, but I don't think you'll find many goalies at all who are at that age. The last one I can really think of is that stood out is Patrick Roy, but that was more than 20 years ago.

Fans do stuff like this all the time - go back and debate previous drafts based on the "if we knew then what we know now" theory. Heck, they had features like this running the last couple of weeks on NFL Network and ESPN in lieu of the NFL draft.

I don't think anyone here is protecting Fleury, and so what if they were? Quite honestly, I think some of Bucci's projections are off, but not egregiously off. He doesn't mention if he made that list based off of the current construct of the teams (presence of Crosby cancels out the need for Staal), or if he based it off of needs in 2003 (where I'd argue that the Pens might take Staal ahead of Phaneuf in Bucci's mock redraft). I think that qualifier would help explain putting Fleury behind Bernier, Parise, and maybe even Getzlaf and Zherdev.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Sat May 06, 2006 11:54 am

Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Sat May 06, 2006 3:42 pm

Peter wrote:Really, why do you people care?

The more important question is, why do you?

If the conversation is boring you, go find new conversation. I don't think anybody around here will be pining away for you.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Sat May 06, 2006 3:47 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:

If the conversation is boring you, go find new conversation. I don't think anybody around here will be pining away for you.

I know it's like when someone says Tetrus was better than Megaman. Who cares?
NIN

Postby netwolf on Sat May 06, 2006 8:35 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:

The Amish don't pine. They prefer oak. :)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Sat May 06, 2006 8:47 pm

NIN wrote:I know it's like when someone says Tetrus was better than Megaman. Who cares?

Nothing was better than Megaman! ;)
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat May 06, 2006 9:15 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:
NIN wrote:I know it's like when someone says Tetrus was better than Megaman. Who cares?

Nothing was better than Megaman! ;)

Ultraman rulez!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins