Phil Kessel to suit up for USA

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Phil Kessel to suit up for USA

Postby positive_pens_fan on Fri May 05, 2006 1:07 pm

positive_pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby positive_pens_fan on Fri May 05, 2006 1:14 pm

It will be interesting to see how he measures up against rosters seasoned with NHL players.
positive_pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri May 05, 2006 1:16 pm

Kessel had 1 shot and 0 points in todays game.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,630
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri May 05, 2006 1:18 pm

Anybody find where ice time might be listed in stats for the tournament?
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Postby positive_pens_fan on Fri May 05, 2006 1:22 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Kessel had 1 shot and 0 points in todays game.


What site can i go to in order to get updates while I am at work??
positive_pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri May 05, 2006 1:24 pm

FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,630
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Jesse on Fri May 05, 2006 1:49 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Kessel had 1 shot and 0 points in todays game.



Bust! :lol: :twisted:
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,637
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Postby DelPen on Fri May 05, 2006 2:06 pm

Malone and Hilbert with an assist each, looks like they are playing with Dustin Brown since he had all 3 USA goals. Sounds like a stinker of a game.

http://www.ihwc.net/english/boxscores/?game=423
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,190
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby elij21 on Sun May 07, 2006 8:07 pm

games goals assist points
crosby 2 3 3 6 +2
Kessel 2 0 0 0 +1

Ummm , and some people said that Kessel was better then Crosby!
elij21
 

Postby DelPen on Sun May 07, 2006 11:29 pm

elij21 wrote:games goals assist points
crosby 2 3 3 6 +2
Kessel 2 0 0 0 +1

Ummm , and some people said that Kessel was better then Crosby!


Those poeple said it almost 18 months ago, they were wrong then and they are still wrong now. But Did Crosby play in the WC's before he was drafted? Not too many players do for that matter. Don't knock our future #1 LW who is going to net 60 goals next season :D
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,190
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby NJ5934 on Mon May 08, 2006 9:20 am

elij21 wrote:games goals assist points
crosby 2 3 3 6 +2
Kessel 2 0 0 0 +1

Ummm , and some people said that Kessel was better then Crosby!


Call me crazy, but I think there MIGHT be a SLIGHT difference in ice time between the two. Keep in mind Kessel in playing as a non-NHL'er on a roster full of NHL'ers.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,843
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Postby elij21 on Mon May 08, 2006 8:07 pm

[quote="DelPen"][quote="elij21"]games goals assist points
crosby 2 3 3 6 +2
Kessel 2 0 0 0 +1

Ummm , and some people said that Kessel was better then Crosby![/quote]

Those poeple said it almost 18 months ago, they were wrong then and they are still wrong now. But Did Crosby play in the WC's before he was drafted? Not too many players do for that matter. Don't knock our future #1 LW who is going to net 60 goals next season :D[/quote]


Ok the reason I brought this up is because of what you said of those people who said that Kessel was better then Crosby. By the way, Crosby is almost two months older then Kessel. So your argument not being drafted being in the world championship isn't really significant since there almost the same age. But Gretsky, Lindros, Malkin , Ovechkin also were in worlds before they were drafted and did pretty well for them self. Don't get me wrong the kid has talent but when you say he's going to get 60 goals. C'mon , I seen him play at least 10 times and he's not Ovechkin. Also, Crosby could of made the roster for last years world championship, the only reason he didn't was because he was in the playoffs with his junior club. Anyway, If penguins do draft Kessel, It's going to be good on the score sheet but I wonder still if Kessel is going to accept that it's Crosby team and if he'll play wing?
elij21
 

Postby Draftnik on Mon May 08, 2006 8:59 pm

Typical Kessel bashing. Now that Kessel isn't as good as Crosby the Pens shouldn't draft him. That is ridiculous. If that is the standard then the Pens won't draft a player for the next 20 years.

Kessel may not be Crosby but what is important is the Pens get the best player available at #2. Comparisons to Crosby are irrelevant to the pick.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby DelPen on Mon May 08, 2006 9:38 pm

elij21 wrote:Ok the reason I brought this up is because of what you said of those people who said that Kessel was better then Crosby. By the way, Crosby is almost two months older then Kessel. So your argument not being drafted being in the world championship isn't really significant since there almost the same age. But Gretsky, Lindros, Malkin , Ovechkin also were in worlds before they were drafted and did pretty well for them self. Don't get me wrong the kid has talent but when you say he's going to get 60 goals. C'mon , I seen him play at least 10 times and he's not Ovechkin. Also, Crosby could of made the roster for last years world championship, the only reason he didn't was because he was in the playoffs with his junior club. Anyway, If penguins do draft Kessel, It's going to be good on the score sheet but I wonder still if Kessel is going to accept that it's Crosby team and if he'll play wing?


Hate to rain on your parade but Ovechkin and Malkin did not play on the 2004 Russian WC team: http://www.hockeynut.com/0304/worlds2004/rusros.html

That was the tourney prior to them being DRAFTED. Unless the NHL moved the 1991 draft to happen in late September after the Canada Cup was over then Lindros was already drafted by Quebec before he was in a Men's tournamnet (and no WC in 1991 for Lindros, he did make the 1992 AFTER he was drafted though) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Lindros#Other_Teams ).

Now for Gretzky, he took 3 years to get to the Canada Cup in 1981 if we want to count his WHA days but even if we don't it's still after his NHL debut. He was not in the WC's until 1982 ( http://proicehockey.about.com/od/wayneg ... _stats.htm ).

So, big swing and a miss with those 4 names of players who you said played in the WC's before they were drafted. You can't discount Kessel for being one of the few players probably ever to be on a World Championship team before they were srafted in the NHL. To paraphrase a caveman "Maybe you should do a little research"?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,190
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby elij21 on Mon May 08, 2006 11:56 pm

[quote="DelPen"][quote="elij21"]
Ok the reason I brought this up is because of what you said of those people who said that Kessel was better then Crosby. By the way, Crosby is almost two months older then Kessel. So your argument not being drafted being in the world championship isn't really significant since there almost the same age. But Gretsky, Lindros, Malkin , Ovechkin also were in worlds before they were drafted and did pretty well for them self. Don't get me wrong the kid has talent but when you say he's going to get 60 goals. C'mon , I seen him play at least 10 times and he's not Ovechkin. Also, Crosby could of made the roster for last years world championship, the only reason he didn't was because he was in the playoffs with his junior club. Anyway, If penguins do draft Kessel, It's going to be good on the score sheet but I wonder still if Kessel is going to accept that it's Crosby team and if he'll play wing?[/quote]

Hate to rain on your parade but Ovechkin and Malkin did not play on the 2004 Russian WC team: http://www.hockeynut.com/0304/worlds2004/rusros.html

That was the tourney prior to them being DRAFTED. Unless the NHL moved the 1991 draft to happen in late September after the Canada Cup was over then Lindros was already drafted by Quebec before he was in a Men's tournamnet (and no WC in 1991 for Lindros, he did make the 1992 AFTER he was drafted though) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Lindros#Other_Teams ).

Now for Gretzky, he took 3 years to get to the Canada Cup in 1981 if we want to count his WHA days but even if we don't it's still after his NHL debut. He was not in the WC's until 1982 ( http://proicehockey.about.com/od/wayneg ... _stats.htm ).

So, big swing and a miss with those 4 names of players who you said played in the WC's before they were drafted. You can't discount Kessel for being one of the few players probably ever to be on a World Championship team before they were srafted in the NHL. To paraphrase a caveman "Maybe you should do a little research"?[/quote]



Sorry, My mistake, for Malkin and Ovy , they played in the euro tour with the russian team before they were drafted not the worlds. For the others, my bad.
elij21
 


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: champeen, Dan H and 6 guests

e-mail