Focus on State Revenue

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Focus on State Revenue

Postby Jerri on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:44 pm

Everyone knows which plan is best for the city of Pittsburgh. The problem is the Governor/Gaming Board will argue that this is not relevant. They will justify giving the slots to SS because it has a bigger casino and claims it will produce more money for the state. As long as they have this as an excuse we are in trouble.

Isn't it true that the casinos are limited to 5,000 machines? If Pittsburgh has only one casino I don't see how one proposal can claim to generate so much more money than another based on an equal number of slot machines.

Any ideas on how to adress this?
Jerri
 

Re: Focus on State Revenue

Postby Jamie on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:50 pm

Jerri wrote:Everyone knows which plan is best for the city of Pittsburgh. The problem is the Governor/Gaming Board will argue that this is not relevant. They will justify giving the slots to SS because it has a bigger casino and claims it will produce more money for the state. As long as they have this as an excuse we are in trouble.

Isn't it true that the casinos are limited to 5,000 machines? If Pittsburgh has only one casino I don't see how one proposal can claim to generate so much more money than another based on an equal number of slot machines.

Any ideas on how to adress this?


The PENS need to quit playing nicey nice, and launch an all out media assault. They need to publicie THEIR plan more in the media. Thry need to impress upon everyone why THEIR plan is better. When the governor makes a statement, they need to counter it. Every topic has an argument. They need to make sure that it is THEIR argument that wins. To this point I am a little disapointed in the PENS campaign thus far. It's time to step up.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,062
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 pm
Location: Here or there

Re: Focus on State Revenue

Postby dboss on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:15 pm

Jerri wrote:Everyone knows which plan is best for the city of Pittsburgh. The problem is the Governor/Gaming Board will argue that this is not relevant. They will justify giving the slots to SS because it has a bigger casino and claims it will produce more money for the state. As long as they have this as an excuse we are in trouble.

Isn't it true that the casinos are limited to 5,000 machines? If Pittsburgh has only one casino I don't see how one proposal can claim to generate so much more money than another based on an equal number of slot machines.

Any ideas on how to adress this?


Yes, the slots are limited to $5,000. The thing a bigger casino offers is more property tax revenue and more revenue from things like food, booze, etc. However, none of this is taxed at the 54% rate that the actual 'gaming' is taxed at. The governor can talk all he wants about the bigger casino, etc. The plans are the SAME for the total number of $ involved when you factor in the Pens revenue to the city, etc.!!! Only difference, one offers a tax-free new arena (that the City would OWN contrary to what the Gov. said on the radio today) and the other offers a $25 million grant to the historical society. Hmmmm...I am still confused as to which plan is better. (EXTREME sarcasm).
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 am
Location: McCandless Twp, PA

Postby GJ on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:27 am

Yeah, historical society...featuring a Pittsburgh Penguins exhibit!

:evil:
GJ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby BJL on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:40 am

I really believe the Pens should invest in commercials educating the public about this topic.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:27 pm
Location: PA

Postby randy on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:37 am

Theres time for this, and the PR campaign is coming, probably this summer and fall. Now is not a good time to start with the team doing bad and other distractions.
randy
 

Re: Focus on State Revenue

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:18 am

dboss wrote:and the other offers a $25 million grant to the historical society. Hmmmm...I am still confused as to which plan is better. (EXTREME sarcasm).


The funniest part is, the Historical Society would then use that money to "save" Mellon Arena for it's historical significance! :shock:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,814
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Focus on State Revenue

Postby dboss on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:26 am

Pitts wrote:
dboss wrote:and the other offers a $25 million grant to the historical society. Hmmmm...I am still confused as to which plan is better. (EXTREME sarcasm).


The funniest part is, the Historical Society would then use that money to "save" Mellon Arena for it's historical significance! :shock:


That is a huge relief to me. I was worried the monster truck rally in 2013 wouldn't have anywhere to perform. :lol:
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 am
Location: McCandless Twp, PA


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


e-mail