Malkin goal WOW! ( he is flying ) LOL

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malkin goal WOW! ( he is flying ) LOL

Postby SAMPICK on Sun May 07, 2006 3:56 pm

Malkin's was undoubtedly the goal of the night. After stealing the puck near center ice, the Pittsburgh Penguins prospect broke in alone on Kazakh goalie Roman Medvedev, who dove headlong at Malkin to deflect the puck. Malkin dove over him and redirected the airborne puck into the net to give Russia a 6-1 lead.

look at the picture at

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/2 ... rlds_x.htm
SAMPICK

Postby Mango Salsa on Sun May 07, 2006 4:03 pm

Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun May 07, 2006 5:04 pm

This is almost as good as Ovechkin's goal on his back behins him. I don't think there will be any doubt that if Malkin plays for us next season he will win the Calder and He will set a new Penguin record for points as a rookie. I set the bar at 110 points.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Reilly on Sun May 07, 2006 5:14 pm

Reilly

Postby Bowser on Sun May 07, 2006 5:15 pm

I think Malkin will test Lemieux's records for shorthanded goals in a season. He should have a great chance to break Crosby's point record considering he'll play center at the start of the season unlike what the idiot Olczyk refused to do with Sidney.

Malkin will get top penalty-killing minutes, top power-play minutes alongside Crosby, and second line minutes.

Of course, Crosby and Malkin need the next GM to address this team's woeful depth of goal scoring wingers.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sun May 07, 2006 6:03 pm

At the very least, the Pens need wingers that are skilled enough to take advantage of Crosby and Malkin. Those two are good enough that they will make their linemates better than they really are. In that criteria, I don't think the Pens are in terrible shape. Colby played at around a ~30 goal pace for a full season. Hilbert's goal production increased drastically once he got here. I believe Crosby and Malkin are good enough to make Armstrong, Hilbert, Christensen, and Malone 30 goal scorers, and that's not necessarily anything to scoff at. Clearly, to take things to the next level, they need their Cheecho. That's definitely one thing separating the current team from a real Cup contender.

As it is, I still don't think the offense will be a problem next year, even with the guys we've got. That's of course assuming Malkin's here (and I will continue to assume that). The Pens had no trouble scoring over the last couple months of the season, and that was without Malkin. I think they're going to have one of the better offenses in the NHL, and I don't believe that's an overestimate. The only team that can really match our 1-2 punch at center of Crosby and Malkin are the Sharks with Thornton and Marleau, and I'd still probably take our guys. Offense isn't a mega problem right now, and it never will be as long as we've got world class centers like Crosby and Malkin. If anything holds this team back from the playoffs next season (again, assuming Malkin's here), it's defense and goaltending.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun May 07, 2006 11:32 pm

Henry Hank wrote:At the very least, the Pens need wingers that are skilled enough to take advantage of Crosby and Malkin. Those two are good enough that they will make their linemates better than they really are. In that criteria, I don't think the Pens are in terrible shape. Colby played at around a ~30 goal pace for a full season. Hilbert's goal production increased drastically once he got here. I believe Crosby and Malkin are good enough to make Armstrong, Hilbert, Christensen, and Malone 30 goal scorers, and that's not necessarily anything to scoff at. Clearly, to take things to the next level, they need their Cheecho. That's definitely one thing separating the current team from a real Cup contender.

As it is, I still don't think the offense will be a problem next year, even with the guys we've got. That's of course assuming Malkin's here (and I will continue to assume that). The Pens had no trouble scoring over the last couple months of the season, and that was without Malkin. I think they're going to have one of the better offenses in the NHL, and I don't believe that's an overestimate. The only team that can really match our 1-2 punch at center of Crosby and Malkin are the Sharks with Thornton and Marleau, and I'd still probably take our guys. Offense isn't a mega problem right now, and it never will be as long as we've got world class centers like Crosby and Malkin. If anything holds this team back from the playoffs next season (again, assuming Malkin's here), it's defense and goaltending.

I agree too. Armstrong and Malone as the guys who bang in the corners who get 30 goals/50 assists a year is fine. But they each need a sniper.

Ideally, I'd like to see us draft Kessel for Crosby's wing and bring in Samsanov for Malkin's wing. Both are goal scorers.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Peter on Mon May 08, 2006 6:49 am

well it WAS an empty net goal.

I don't know why the penguins want this guy. He's obviously horible.
Peter

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins