RLR May standings

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

RLR May standings

Postby Ironhorse on Mon May 08, 2006 11:00 pm

1. Erik Johnson
2. Phil Kessel
3. Jonathan Toews
4. Peter Mueller
5. Nicklas Backstrom
6. Jordan Staal
7. Derrick Brassard
8. Kyle Okposo
9. Jiri Tiusty
10. Bryan Little

Final draft rankings come out in early June. Do we go for a RW with Okposo after we trade down. He has been on the rise all year long.
Ironhorse
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:15 am
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: RLR May standings

Postby NJ5934 on Mon May 08, 2006 11:19 pm

Ironhorse wrote:1. Erik Johnson
2. Phil Kessel
3. Jonathan Toews
4. Peter Mueller
5. Nicklas Backstrom
6. Jordan Staal
7. Derrick Brassard
8. Kyle Okposo
9. Jiri Tiusty
10. Bryan Little

Final draft rankings come out in early June. Do we go for a RW with Okposo after we trade down. He has been on the rise all year long.


I thought Okposo was a center too? Anyway I think everyone around here is grossly overestimating the possible return in trading down, especially in what everyone seems to feel is a 'weak draft'. Keep in mind Florida got Samuelsson for the 1st overall.

I don't think there is going to be that great of an offer on the table to pass up the #2 pick. We have an opportunity we might not see again for some time (hopefully), so why waste it. If Johnson is available there's no question. Otherwise its Kessel or Staal.

I've posted a few times now that I think the real opportunity this team has is to move its second round pick into the mid first round. If we could do this for, lets say Ouellet, and get Mitera or Wishart it would make missing out on Johnson a bit less painful. Then again, with a month and a half to go and no GM in place, who the hell knows what will happen.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,843
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Re: RLR May standings

Postby Daniel on Mon May 08, 2006 11:27 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I don't think there is going to be that great of an offer on the table to pass up the #2 pick.


Perhaps if there is someone of great value at 10-15, the Pens might get a good offer for #2. Who knows what will happen over the next few weeks. Who also knows who the Pens want. If there is a team with 2 picks, haven't looked yet, it might be worth it to get both picks for the #2 pick.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,109
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:10 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby André on Tue May 09, 2006 3:45 am

Hey, perhaps you guys can help me out here. Who are the RLR? I thought ISS (International Scouting Service) had the scouting reports and draft rankings considered the "official" ones. I see now there are other scouting organisations as well?

I'd appreciate if someone could clarify this for me :) What scouting services are there and which are considered the major/most reliable ones?
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,328
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Postby Jim on Tue May 09, 2006 6:46 am

THis is what is so funny about these rankings. So now Kessel is 2nd and Staal is 6th. Last month that was nearly reversed. Whatever.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,591
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby DelPen on Tue May 09, 2006 7:04 am

Deas wrote:Hey, perhaps you guys can help me out here. Who are the RLR? I thought ISS (International Scouting Service) had the scouting reports and draft rankings considered the "official" ones. I see now there are other scouting organisations as well?

I'd appreciate if someone could clarify this for me :) What scouting services are there and which are considered the major/most reliable ones?


RLR: Red Line Report is just a scouting magazine by Kyle Woodlief and it has a lot of info. I don't know how foten he nails the rankings but he seems yo be close more often than not.

ISS: International Scouting Service is wildly inconsistant and shows who's hot right now

CSB: Central Scouting Bureau is the official one if you can call it that. My only issue with them is the they seperate NA and Euros and then seperate goalies from skaters in each bunch so they have 4 lists and never do a combined ranking.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,493
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby pfim on Tue May 09, 2006 8:07 am

Jim wrote:THis is what is so funny about these rankings. So now Kessel is 2nd and Staal is 6th. Last month that was nearly reversed. Whatever.


Actually, Woodlief is pretty consistent. Here's March


http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/c ... port_x.htm


Kessel, Johnson and Toews have been in his top 3 since November. He has also described this draft as "top heavy" so I'm not sure trading out of a top 3 pick is all that wise.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Postby André on Tue May 09, 2006 10:47 am

DelPen wrote:
Deas wrote:Hey, perhaps you guys can help me out here. Who are the RLR? I thought ISS (International Scouting Service) had the scouting reports and draft rankings considered the "official" ones. I see now there are other scouting organisations as well?

I'd appreciate if someone could clarify this for me :) What scouting services are there and which are considered the major/most reliable ones?


RLR: Red Line Report is just a scouting magazine by Kyle Woodlief and it has a lot of info. I don't know how foten he nails the rankings but he seems yo be close more often than not.

ISS: International Scouting Service is wildly inconsistant and shows who's hot right now

CSB: Central Scouting Bureau is the official one if you can call it that. My only issue with them is the they seperate NA and Euros and then seperate goalies from skaters in each bunch so they have 4 lists and never do a combined ranking.


Thanks alot DelPen!
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,328
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Postby ville5 on Tue May 09, 2006 11:13 am

An interesting point that Woodlief brings up is the Europeans. It's expected that around "only" 30-35 Euros would be drafted. Because the new CBA requires you to sign Euros within 2 years of drafting.
Obviously the top-end talent will still get drafted. But this could leave alot of quality, talented players available as free agents. Especially those diamonds in the rough that used to slip to the later rounds. Or is there something in the CBA that restricts the movement of these undrafted Euros?
If not, a team with a strong, European scouting dept. and/or ample cap room could really capitalize on this.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,708
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

e-mail