Pens vs. Ottawa - official "mercy on me" thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby minimal on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:51 pm

Man, I leave to cook dinner and it's 5 - fricken 2?!?!

WTF man.

Oh well... Go Pens!
minimal
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: Calgary

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:53 pm

Ashamed87 wrote:
Abe Frohman wrote:
Ashamed87 wrote:does anyone else notice that almost every time the penguins play someone there are more combined penalties than in almost every other game being played.....am I the only one tired of this basketball approach to the penalties being called?


Bad hockey teams will either:

1) Take a lot of penalties.

OR

2) Avoid taking penalties, and get outscored by 2 touchdowns...


True statement sausage king of Chicago, but I know from watching almost all the games on a big screen (which mind you the NHL could use for replays...need I mention the calgary game) and alot of these calls are terrible at best, its just like basketball, touch em and its a foul.....I understand they want scoring but at what cost....typical Americans ruining something beautiful with their "higher scores is more fun" mentality...and btw I am an american....so I guess the FBI will bust down my door in a few for saying that....


No offense intended but people complain when everything is not called. They complain when everything is called. They complain when replay takes too much time. They complain because there is no replay. No matter on what planet this game was played or who or how it was officiated or even what the final score is: The Sens are better then the Pens this season. The Penguins do not even belong in the same league as teams like this.
NIN
 

Postby skullman80 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:53 pm

Jesus F'in Christ....

Another SH goal...

Rechhi draped all over him and Alfredsson still buries it...
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,301
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:54 pm

Nice to see Recchi completely destroy any trade value he had the last two games.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,935
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby wondermoose on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:55 pm

Wow. HAVE MERCY! I BEG YOU, HAVE MERCY
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,968
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Postby Fast B on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:55 pm

Well, at least they scored 2 goals this time.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,857
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Postby Ashamed87 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:55 pm

NIN wrote:
Ashamed87 wrote:
Abe Frohman wrote:
Ashamed87 wrote:does anyone else notice that almost every time the penguins play someone there are more combined penalties than in almost every other game being played.....am I the only one tired of this basketball approach to the penalties being called?


Bad hockey teams will either:

1) Take a lot of penalties.

OR

2) Avoid taking penalties, and get outscored by 2 touchdowns...


True statement sausage king of Chicago, but I know from watching almost all the games on a big screen (which mind you the NHL could use for replays...need I mention the calgary game) and alot of these calls are terrible at best, its just like basketball, touch em and its a foul.....I understand they want scoring but at what cost....typical Americans ruining something beautiful with their "higher scores is more fun" mentality...and btw I am an american....so I guess the FBI will bust down my door in a few for saying that....


No offense intended but people complain when everything is not called. They complain when everything is called. They complain when replay takes too much time. They complain because there is no replay. No matter on what planet this game was played or who or how it was officiated or even what the final score is: The Sens are better then the Pens this season. The Penguins do not even belong in the same league as teams like this.


Also no offense but I watch more than just Penguins hockey since I have Center Ice, its all over the league, weak penalty calls in every game. Whats next, team skirts?
Ashamed87
 

Postby Abe Frohman on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:55 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:
Ashamed87 wrote:does anyone else notice that almost every time the penguins play someone there are more combined penalties than in almost every other game being played.....am I the only one tired of this basketball approach to the penalties being called?


Bad hockey teams will either:

1) Take a lot of penalties.

OR

2) Avoid taking penalties, and get outscored by 2 touchdowns...


Then again, GOOD hockey teams TAKE lots of penalties against the Pens as a strategy...SHGs!!!

Hence...a lot of penalties called in Pens games...
Abe Frohman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby Rychster on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:58 pm

All this because of the bad pass by #10 on the PP 8) I really think that was the turning point. We were up 2-0 and looking like we could hold on to this game and he throws this stupid pass up to the blue line.

It's a damn shame.
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:58 am
Location: Southeastern VA

Postby wondermoose on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:58 pm

"Martin Havlat, not playing tonight.... thank goodness."

-Mike Lange

Now that was funny. Thanks Lange
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,968
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

AHHHHH

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:00 pm

if you don't get back on track...you'll be living in a VAN..DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!!


LEFEBRVE WITH THE TAKEDOWN!!!
NIN
 

Postby DelPen on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:00 pm

Lefebvre pretty much killed Redden there. Redden's stock just dropped in my book.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,935
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby Abe Frohman on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:02 pm

Rychster wrote:All this because of the bad pass by #10 on the PP 8) I really think that was the turning point. We were up 2-0 and looking like we could hold on to this game and he throws this stupid pass up to the blue line.

It's a damn shame.


I HIGHLY doubt that pass was the origin of the Pens demise this evening...

I point to the YEARS of poor drafting and development...

Poor coaching selections in recent years...

BAD free agent signings (in retrospect, granted - but NONE of us here are paid to evaluate talent NOR the changes in the NHL and their ramifications, CRAIG PATRICK IS!!!)) this past summer...


A poor pass / decision here and there CANNOT explain the problems plaguing THIS team...
Last edited by Abe Frohman on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abe Frohman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby NIN on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:04 pm

Abe Frohman wrote:
Rychster wrote:All this because of the bad pass by #10 on the PP 8) I really think that was the turning point. We were up 2-0 and looking like we could hold on to this game and he throws this stupid pass up to the blue line.

It's a damn shame.


I HIGHLY doubt that pass was the origin for the Pens demise this evening...

I point to the YEARS of poor drafting and development...

Poor coaching selections in recent years...

BAD free agent signings (in retrospect, granted - but NONE of us here are paid to evaluate talent NOR the changes in the NHL and their ramifications, CRAIG PATRICK IS!!!)) this past summer...


A poor pass / decision here and there CANNOT explain the problems plaguing THIS team...


Regardless of what went wrong LeClairs hoorible effort cannot be overlooked. He could barely stand on his skates. He was an absolute disgrace and he should have retired before this season even started.
NIN
 

Postby Abe Frohman on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:06 pm

NIN wrote:
Abe Frohman wrote:
Rychster wrote:All this because of the bad pass by #10 on the PP 8) I really think that was the turning point. We were up 2-0 and looking like we could hold on to this game and he throws this stupid pass up to the blue line.

It's a damn shame.


I HIGHLY doubt that pass was the origin for the Pens demise this evening...

I point to the YEARS of poor drafting and development...

Poor coaching selections in recent years...

BAD free agent signings (in retrospect, granted - but NONE of us here are paid to evaluate talent NOR the changes in the NHL and their ramifications, CRAIG PATRICK IS!!!)) this past summer...


A poor pass / decision here and there CANNOT explain the problems plaguing THIS team...


Regardless of what went wrong LeClairs hoorible effort cannot be overlooked. He could barely stand on his skates. He was an absolute disgrace and he should have retired before this season even started.


Why retire, when an inept GM will offer you MILLIONS to skate? I don't blame Leclair...I blame those 'responsible' for the assembly of talent (?) on the ice...
Abe Frohman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby jmh70 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:13 pm

I like how they fight at the end of a blowout, because it's really meaningful.
jmh70
 

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:16 pm

Yawn. I really cant remember what its like to have a good hockey team... whats it been 4 years including the lockout since we had a decent team? I turn on the game and wonder how they will lose this time.

Maybe the team feels the same way.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,634
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: No clue...

Postby relantel on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:26 pm

DelPen wrote:http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule44.html

"A minor or major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be imposed on any player who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards."

So if it looks bad it's a penalty. What a horrible written rule.


That is one of the ones on the books that is called after the fact based on how bad the player appears to be hurt.

Look at the bright side.... The Pens went a second straight night without allowing a 5 on 5 goal...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,172
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Postby RedLightDistrict on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:01 am

wondermoose wrote:holy crap we're beating the sens. We could lose 10-1 now and I'd be happy that we were winning at one point in this game


Do you feel the same way about 7-2?
RedLightDistrict
 

Postby wondermoose on Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:27 am

RedLightDistrict wrote:
wondermoose wrote:holy crap we're beating the sens. We could lose 10-1 now and I'd be happy that we were winning at one point in this game


Do you feel the same way about 7-2?



Actually..... yes. We held our own with a team that is, oh I donno... 37 times better than us? for a period and a half. I was expecting them to fold doubly as fast without Crosby. Cheers to Malone for showing us what he can, hopefuly he can keep that kind of effort up.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,968
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Seriously, was this ever in doubt?

Postby HomerPenguin on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:43 am

Hard to imagine the Penguins beating this team when they've got not one, but two defensemen for whom I'd trade literally 3/4 or more of the Penguins roster. Even if Crosby and Fleury had played, it wouldn't have mattered. Ottawa is just playing another sport altogether.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Postby Stevens25 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:53 am

FallenHero96 wrote:Yawn. I really cant remember what its like to have a good hockey team... whats it been 4 years including the lockout since we had a decent team? I turn on the game and wonder how they will lose this time.

Maybe the team feels the same way.


I feel the exact same way. I miss the playoffs. For example,I love the Steelers,but seeing all this excitement around Pittsburgh makes me remember when the Pens won the cup in 91 and 92. I miss that feeling. :( It's very hard for me to think back when we were a good team.It seems like ages ago.
Stevens25
 

Postby PensStarsFan on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:41 am

Well, at least the first and most of the second period were worth watching...

I almost can't finish a game any more. It's just too depressing. For me, it's not the fact that this season is so bad (which it is)...its the cumulative effect of bad season upon bad season upon bad season...
PensStarsFan
 

Postby prez41 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:54 am

I turned it on when it was 2-0 in the second period and the Pens were going on the power play.



I turned it back off when it was 2-2 during the same power play. I can't take it anymore.
prez41
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:41 am
Location: Connellsville, PA

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GSdrums87 and 5 guests


e-mail