It's Official -- Stan Savran is a Democrat

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

It's Official -- Stan Savran is a Democrat

Postby imau2fan on Tue May 09, 2006 11:23 am

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/artic ... ency_4.htm

It's part of a five-page article. I know this isn't big news to everyone. My first hint was in one of his old PG columns where he referred to Fox News (presumably) as "jingoistic," whatever the hell that means.....

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/colu ... 0412p1.asp

So what's the point? Well, might he be more reticent to call Danny Boy and Fast Eddie to the carpet for not endorsing Isle of Capri? Sometimes I wonder.......
imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RedLightDistrict on Tue May 09, 2006 11:50 am

Yeah! It was Fox News that forged documents just days before the 2004 Presidential Election!

Ive never been a huge Stan fan (other than he seems to talk Pens more than most sports news guys in this town). But this really takes him down multiple notches for me.
RedLightDistrict

Postby BacklashJack on Tue May 09, 2006 12:21 pm

Jingoistic means they slant their news to portray the US in a favorable light. Who cares what side of the aisle Stan's on? He still has more integrity than most reporters in this town, and he gives a lot of coverage to the Pens.
BacklashJack

Postby imau2fan on Tue May 09, 2006 1:28 pm

Who cares what side of the aisle Stan's on?

I do if it means he treats Onorato, O'Connor, and Rendell with kid gloves.

Otherwise, I don't care either.
imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BacklashJack on Tue May 09, 2006 1:31 pm

imau2fan wrote:
Who cares what side of the aisle Stan's on?

I do if it means he treats Onorato, O'Connor, and Rendell with kid gloves.

Otherwise, I don't care either.

From everything I've heard, he's firmly on the IOC side of the argument. Those guys aren't going to change their stance based on what a talk show host says anyway.
BacklashJack

Postby Peter on Tue May 09, 2006 1:39 pm

Stan says he's for IOC, but I've heard him talk. He is okay with plan B, whatever that is. He is covering his donkey by saying IOC is good but the others are good too.
Peter

Postby BacklashJack on Tue May 09, 2006 1:46 pm

The bottom line is to get an arena, he has said he thinks IOC is the best, but if that gets rejected, I'd rather have an arena from "Plan B" than no team.
BacklashJack

Postby Peter on Tue May 09, 2006 1:56 pm

But that kind of thinking will only make people say to themselves "Well, we're gunna get a new arena anyway, might as well go with Station Square." The talk show people need to get the word out that IOC is the best, not say well, it's good but if not, we can take this.
Peter

Postby BacklashJack on Tue May 09, 2006 3:07 pm

You have to be a realist I think. I really don't believe the people have much say in it to begin with anyway. I think Rendell decided long ago how this was going to play out.
BacklashJack

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue May 09, 2006 6:27 pm

RedLightDistrict wrote:Yeah! It was Fox News that forged documents just days before the 2004 Presidential Election!

Ive never been a huge Stan fan (other than he seems to talk Pens more than most sports news guys in this town). But this really takes him down multiple notches for me.

Yeah, dammit! Lets ship his *** off to Guantanamo!

How dare he be of a different political party than our Dear Leader at a time of war! It's damn UnAmerican the way these people keep not falling in line behind The Party.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue May 09, 2006 6:33 pm

Peter wrote:But that kind of thinking will only make people say to themselves "Well, we're gunna get a new arena anyway, might as well go with Station Square." The talk show people need to get the word out that IOC is the best, not say well, it's good but if not, we can take this.

Yeah, Peter, you were saying the same thing a couple of months ago. What changed?

Do you have similar complaints about folks like that pissant Ken Rice, who doesn't support either IoC or plan B, bashes the Penguins on air, and reaches FAR FAR FAR more people than Savran does? How about the sports editorial staff of the Post-Gazette, who wouldn't bat an eye if the Penguins dried up and flew away so long as their precious lovable loser Pirates stick around? There are far bigger media fish to fry here, folks who have done much more to denigrate IoC than to say that Plan B would be an acceptable alternative. I never see you complain about them; I wonder why that is?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Peter on Tue May 09, 2006 8:31 pm

My point is Stan is much softer on the subject than Madden. If someone calls madden and says they like plan B, Madden will challenge them and ask them to prove how. Stan just cops out and says accepts what his caller says and is much softer on the issue.

And back off, this thread is about Stan Savran, that's why I'm only talking about him.
Peter

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue May 09, 2006 10:54 pm

Peter wrote:My point is Stan is much softer on the subject than Madden. If someone calls madden and says they like plan B, Madden will challenge them and ask them to prove how. Stan just cops out and says accepts what his caller says and is much softer on the issue.

And back off, this thread is about Stan Savran, that's why I'm only talking about him.

But Peter, you still haven't answered my question. You were pretty "soft" on this issue not too long ago. What changed?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Tue May 09, 2006 10:57 pm

Who is Stan Savran?
NIN

Postby Peter on Wed May 10, 2006 6:32 am

I was simply pointing out that the other groups had a right to compete for the licence. Never once did I say that Ioc was not the best. And I think all that came about because of that silly proposed ban of station square. But let's not get into that again. For now and ever I will say:

Isle of Capri, Taxpayer free.
Peter

Postby BacklashJack on Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 am

Peter wrote:My point is Stan is much softer on the subject than Madden. If someone calls madden and says they like plan B, Madden will challenge them and ask them to prove how. Stan just cops out and says accepts what his caller says and is much softer on the issue.

If the IOC plan included $10 for the arena, Madden would support it because the Pens do. Madden is a Pens fanboy who wants the Pens to like him. I'm surprised he actually challenged the the callers instead of just yelling at them like he does when someone actually proves he is wrong about the so many things he is wrong about. There is a Plan B, it is outlined as follows and has been public since its official announcement.

- The Penguins would initially contribute $8.5 million, and then $2.9 million a year.

- The successful slots applicant would voluntarily agree to pay $7.5 million a year.

- The Pennsylvania Gaming Economic Development and Tourism Fund will be getting $150 to $170 million annually -- $7 million of which will go to pay for the arena.

- Another $1.1 million a year will come from selling the naming rights to the new arena and from additional advertising.
BacklashJack

Postby Crash on Wed May 10, 2006 10:12 am

Plan C is a farce. They know damn well that no owner, current or future will or can pay $143 mil just to play in an arena they don't own, on top of the $130 mil it would take to buy the team.

Unless Rendell looses the election, and his board members get replaced? The Pens are gone. Then of course it would not shock me to see Rendell pencil whip the "process" through and award Harrah's the license BEFORE the election.

Rendell, OnoRATo, and O'Connor should all be impeached, the crooked scumbags.
Crash

Postby Peter on Wed May 10, 2006 1:06 pm

I predict that the penguins will stay - because of the politics. Rendell won't let the penguins go on his watch. It's a big risk politically. He certainly wants to claim that "The penguins stayed because my administration got things done." But he'll certainly keep them here on his terms, which makes him as slimy as usual.
Peter

Postby Crash on Wed May 10, 2006 1:21 pm

>>- The Penguins would initially contribute $8.5 million, and then $2.9 million a year.

- The successful slots applicant would voluntarily agree to pay $7.5 million a year.

- The Pennsylvania Gaming Economic Development and Tourism Fund will be getting $150 to $170 million annually -- $7 million of which will go to pay for the arena.

- Another $1.1 million a year will come from selling the naming rights to the new arena and from additional advertising.<<

Which in reality is $4 mil a year because naming rights and ad revenues usually go to the team.
Crash

Postby netwolf on Wed May 10, 2006 11:36 pm

Peter wrote:I predict that the penguins will stay - because of the politics. Rendell won't let the penguins go on his watch. It's a big risk politically. He certainly wants to claim that "The penguins stayed because my administration got things done." But he'll certainly keep them here on his terms, which makes him as slimy as usual.

He might want to, but if IoC does not get the license Rendell, O'Connor, and Onorato can't force the team to stay here on their terms. And when one of them is saying stupid things like "if the Pens move, I won't lose any votes" I question how committed they are to finding a solution at all.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed May 10, 2006 11:36 pm

BacklashJack wrote:There is a Plan B, it is outlined as follows and has been public since its official announcement.

- The Penguins would initially contribute $8.5 million, and then $2.9 million a year.

- Another $1.1 million a year will come from selling the naming rights to the new arena and from additional advertising.

Yeah, so really the Penguins are paying $4 million per year since the naming rights and "additional advertising" would be generating team revenue otherwise. The successful slots applicant is "voluntarily" agreeing to pay $7.5 million per year, which Harrah's has yet to agree to do. And the last time I checked, it was no sure thing that the state could direct that $7 million per year to the arena.

But other than that, you're right. Done deal. Mission accomplished. Slam dunk. Heckuva job, Brownie.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BacklashJack on Thu May 11, 2006 8:06 am

HomerPenguin wrote:
BacklashJack wrote:There is a Plan B, it is outlined as follows and has been public since its official announcement.

Yeah, so really the Penguins are paying $4 million per year since the naming rights and "additional advertising" would be generating team revenue otherwise. The successful slots applicant is "voluntarily" agreeing to pay $7.5 million per year, which Harrah's has yet to agree to do. And the last time I checked, it was no sure thing that the state could direct that $7 million per year to the arena.

But other than that, you're right. Done deal. Mission accomplished. Slam dunk. Heckuva job, Brownie.

Never said it was a done deal or that this was a good plan. Just responding to those who said Plan B doesn't exist.
BacklashJack

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins