Pierre saying Malkin to Kings for Kopitar, Dustin Brown

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby HeyNow71871929 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:22 pm

Pitts wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:Whatever. :roll:

It's not gonna happen and it shouldn't.

I wonder, just hypothetically of course, would you implode into a black hole if it actually did happen? You're pretty heavy on the Malkin if you know what I mean.

I am an avid supporter of Evgeni Malkin and "hypothetically" speaking, if he got traded to another team, that team would automatically become my second favorite team (except the Flyers, but he would never get traded there or want to sign there). And as I said before, I hope he goes berserk and absolutely scorches us when we play him.

Anyone who fails to realize this kid's skillset, talent, and potential is mentally unstable. Kid is a monster.
HeyNow71871929

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:23 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't see how that helps the Pens. Malkin's the best player involved in that deal, and while Brown is signed to a nice bargain deal, Kopitar is going to be very expensive himself. I like Kopitar and Brown, but it still seems like a quantity over quality move that dilutes your talent and doesn't give you THAT much of a cap relief in the long run.

But, it does give you an AWESOME left wing (Brown) for Crosby and Hossa, and a very nearly equal 2nd line center (Kopitar) to replace Malkin. Kopitar would be a better cap hit for the foreseeable future too.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HeyNow71871929 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:27 pm

Pitts wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I don't see how that helps the Pens. Malkin's the best player involved in that deal, and while Brown is signed to a nice bargain deal, Kopitar is going to be very expensive himself. I like Kopitar and Brown, but it still seems like a quantity over quality move that dilutes your talent and doesn't give you THAT much of a cap relief in the long run.

But, it does give you an AWESOME left wing (Brown) for Crosby and Hossa, and a very nearly equal 2nd line center (Kopitar) to replace Malkin. Kopitar would be a better cap hit for the foreseeable future too.

Kopitar's not even in the same league as Evgeni Malkin. He is nowhere nearly as equal as Malkin. What has Kopitar done so far in 2 years that has been so marvelous? He had 61 points his first season and 77 this past season. Malkin had more points his rookie season than Kopitar did either of his 2 seasons. And Evgeni Malkin is fully capable of carrying a team by himself to the playoffs and beyond. He is a one man show. For anyone to suggest that there is equal trade value coming back to Pittsburgh for Malkin is absolutely insane. I just don't get people like you.
HeyNow71871929

Postby Maestro on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:42 pm

HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Kopitar's not even in the same league as Evgeni Malkin. He is nowhere nearly as equal as Malkin. What has Kopitar done so far in 2 years that has been so marvelous? He had 61 points his first season and 77 this past season. Malkin had more points his rookie season than Kopitar did either of his 2 seasons. And Evgeni Malkin is fully capable of carrying a team by himself to the playoffs and beyond. He is a one man show. For anyone to suggest that there is equal trade value coming back to Pittsburgh for Malkin is absolutely insane. I just don't get people like you.

Wow, someome's drank the Geno Koolaid. :)
Maestro
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:01 am

Maestro wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I really don't think its Geno Koolaid. I can't believe people on here would trade him and think that getting Brown and Kopitar would be equal value, because it would be highway robbery for LA.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:03 am

farnham16 wrote:
Maestro wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I really don't think its Geno Koolaid. I can't believe people on here would trade him and think that getting Brown and Kopitar would be equal value, because it would be highway robbery for LA.

Not highway robbery...but sports terrorism!!! :D
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby HeyNow71871929 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:06 am

farnham16 wrote:
Maestro wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Not just a trade for Brown and Kopitar. Any trade that involves #71 is going to be highway robbery for the team that aquires Gino.
HeyNow71871929

Postby crzymike on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:06 am

farnham16 wrote:
Maestro wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I wonder if these same people who believe these trades of Geno are actually worthwhile, would feel the same way if it was Sid instead.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HeyNow71871929 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:10 am

crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Maestro wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I wonder if these same people who believe these trades of Geno are actually worthwhile, would feel the same way if it was Sid instead.

AMEN CRZYMIKE. I was just going to post that too. People like some on these board just make you ask yourself questions. Is there that much difference between Malkin and Crosby? Do people really love Crosby that much more than Malkin? Is Crosby really that much better than Malkin? Does the language barrier hve anything to do with the bias against Malkin?
HeyNow71871929

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:12 am

crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Maestro wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I have wondered that same question myself.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Rohit on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:18 am

HeyNow71871929 wrote:
crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Maestro wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

AMEN CRZYMIKE. I was just going to post that too. People like some on these board just make you ask yourself questions. Is there that much difference between Malkin and Crosby? Do people really love Crosby that much more than Malkin? Is Crosby really that much better than Malkin? Does the language barrier hve anything to do with the bias against Malkin?

crosby an malkin are once in a lifetime talents

like one of you two said: any trade involving malkin is bad for the penguins

here is what i dont understand: why are people so bent out of shape NOW about cap trouble? Either way if you have to trade geno you are going to lose, so why not wait until you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that there is NO WAY IN HELL that it is possible to keep geno

right now people are talking about fair return for malkin and most scenarios end up being 3 good players for 1 great player. at the end of the day signing those 3 good players would be just as difficult as signing geno so either way you are screwed cap wise, so why wouldnt you just stick with geno who you know is the real deal

dont forget that crosby and malkin are still nhl young even though they play like vets. imagine how good they are going to be once they actually are vets.

i dont care what people say about tampa bay because geno and crosby >>>>vinny and st louis when it comes to their prime

imo if shero can manage to keep fleury, crosby, and malkin and then somehow fill the rest of the slots will the "right guys" this team will ALWAYS be competitive, maybe not in the cup winning dynasty sense, but as long as you have crosby and malkin on your team with solid goaltending you will have a chance to win every single game you play

the same cannot be said of any other player that you would get in return for a guy like geno and why it makes NO SENSE at all to talk about trading him at this stage in his career.
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby crzymike on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:27 am

Rohit wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Maestro wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

here is what i dont understand: why are people so bent out of shape NOW about cap trouble? Either way if you have to trade geno you are going to lose, so why not wait until you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that there is NO WAY IN HELL that it is possible to keep geno

right now people are talking about fair return for malkin and most scenarios end up being 3 good players for 1 great player. at the end of the day signing those 3 good players would be just as difficult as signing geno so either way you are screwed cap wise, so why wouldnt you just stick with geno who you know is the real deal

dont forget that crosby and malkin are still nhl young even though they play like vets. imagine how good they are going to be once they actually are vets.

i dont care what people say about tampa bay because geno and crosby >>>>vinny and st louis when it comes to their prime

imo if shero can manage to keep fleury, crosby, and malkin and then somehow fill the rest of the slots will the "right guys" this team will ALWAYS be competitive, maybe not in the cup winning dynasty sense, but as long as you have crosby and malkin on your team with solid goaltending you will have a chance to win every single game you play

the same cannot be said of any other player that you would get in return for a guy like geno and why it makes NO SENSE at all to talk about trading him at this stage in his career.
Very good post an to add to that, even if you are a Sid fan or a Geno fan or even an Ovechkin fan, one thing is crystal clear. Definitively suggesting any one of the three is much better then the other two would be inaccurate. Each one on any given night can take over a game, all three are superstars and all three can have a team bulit around them. I myself prefer Geno but one thing is very obvious here. We have two of them, we should keep it that way and be THANKFUL of the fact we have Two of the top three or top four if you factor in Zetterberg.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HeyNow71871929 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:31 am

crzymike wrote:
Rohit wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Maestro wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Very good post an to add to that, even if you are a Sid fan or a Geno fan or even an Ovechkin fan, one thing is crystal clear. Definitively suggesting any one of the three is much better then the other two would be inaccurate. Each one on any given night can take over a game, all three are game breakers and all three can have a team bulit around them. I myself prefer Geno but one thing is very obvious here. We have two of them, we should keep it that way and be THANKFUL of the fact we have Two of the top three or top four if you factor in Zetterberg.

I agree. But, potentially, I truly and strongly believe Evgeni Malkin will be the premier talent in the whole world. I said it in earlier posts, there isn't a thing this guy can't do on the ice. He has everything you look for in a rare talent. Anyone can take it as they want, but even the Malkin haters and doubters will soon be eating crow.
HeyNow71871929

Postby Pitts on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:32 am

joker10277 wrote:And you don't build around Sid by making the pens a 1 line team by trading Malkin..........

The Pens would not be a one line team with Kopitar as the 2nd line center.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby superconan on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:38 am

Mad City Mike wrote:Well, this is the first "rumor" that has any credence to me. Pierre and Rejean are good friends. Yu have to at least wonder where McGuire would get such info. But is it such a bad deal anyway? I'm not sure. I'd have to research it more.

I would tend to believe a rumor coming from Pierre, or at least believe there is something to it.

I don't think it would just be Brown and Kopitar. I would have to imagine there would be some picks involved (at least one first round), and a prospect or two.

Gone would be lines 1a and 1b, but you would still have line 1 and a legitimate 2nd line.

The trade could help with this years draft if it happened before, and in signing any free agents.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby HeyNow71871929 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:40 am

superconan wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:Well, this is the first "rumor" that has any credence to me. Pierre and Rejean are good friends. Yu have to at least wonder where McGuire would get such info. But is it such a bad deal anyway? I'm not sure. I'd have to research it more.

I would tend to believe a rumor coming from Pierre, or at least believe there is something to it.

I don't think it would just be Brown and Kopitar. I would have to imagine there would be some picks involved (at least one first round), and a prospect or two.

Gone would be lines 1a and 1b, but you would still have line 1 and a legitimate 2nd line.

The trade could help with this years draft if it happened before, and in signing any free agents.

Well, you're gonna have to keep on waiting then for this trade to happen. Cause it's never gonna happen. Gino = part of the "core" Shero has talked about numerously.
HeyNow71871929

Postby Rohit on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:41 am

i dont get why the trade rumors are out now

maybe we will have to trade one of our studs...regardless this is not that time
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:44 am

HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I understand you have the super-hotts for Malkin. But, you can not carry a debate for ****. Malkin is a #1 center that will command top dollar. He is not a 2nd line center. The Pens already have a #1 center locked up for a long time and he is the face of the team and the league. Crosby will retire in a Pens uniform. I have a hard time believing Malkin will. If in fact Kopitar would be included in any supposed trade, he would make a better 2nd line center for this team for many reasons. He would take less ice timed, leaving more for Sid, he would be a better cap hit for the budget and he would be more than capable of putting up great numbers for a 2nd line center. Listen, I'm certainly not advocating the trade of Malkin. I'm simply able to see a grander picture than "Malkin is the best and I hope he kills us" mentality. Every post you make about this topic reaks of puck-bunny fan club speak.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby superconan on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:47 am

Pitts wrote:I understand you have the super-hotts for Malkin. But, you can not carry a debate for ****. Malkin is a #1 center that will command top dollar. He is not a 2nd line center. The Pens already have a #1 center locked up for a long time and he is the face of the team and the league. Crosby will retire in a Pens uniform. I have a hard time believing Malkin will. If in fact Kopitar would be included in any supposed trade, he would make a better 2nd line center for this team for many reasons. He would take less ice timed, leaving more for Sid, he would be a better cap hit for the budget and he would be more than capable of putting up great numbers for a 2nd line center. Listen, I'm certainly not advocating the trade of Malkin. I'm simply able to see a grander picture than "Malkin is the best and I hope he kills us" mentality. Every post you make about this topic reaks of puck-bunny fan club speak.

Well I would think too, the second powerplay unit could/would have Kopitar on it, dividing the talent up a little more.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:48 am

crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Maestro wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

That answer to that question mike is simply, no they wouldnt.

For some reason, Sid gets a major pass on this board while Malkin does not. Too me, Malkin has proved his worth as much as Crosby has. And its insane to me why some people still get on Geno and think it would be okay to trade him.

I love Sid and I love Geno. They are both unbelieveable players. Both are and should be untouchable for the Pens. I believe Geno has a little bit higher of a ceiling than Crosby does though. There is not a single thing Geno won't be able to do when he hits his prime. Hes going to be so good it wont even be fair.

The fact that some people on here dont hold Malkin in the same regard as Sid is just crazy to me.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sabres_Fan on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:51 am

Pitts wrote: Every post you make about this topic reaks of puck-bunny fan club speak.

Who is hotter Malkin or Kopitar?? :lol:
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Pittsburgh, pa (via Buffalo in a little town known as Pominville)

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:53 am

probably because he can't speak too well?

everyone admire's malkin, but the simple fact that when you look at him on the bench with the same look on his face [you all know what i'm talking about] he seems out of it, whereas people see crosby being interviewed, in commercials, saying the all the right things and making all the right moves.
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:53 am

Pitts wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I understand you have the super-hotts for Malkin. But, you can not carry a debate for ****. Malkin is a #1 center that will command top dollar. He is not a 2nd line center. The Pens already have a #1 center locked up for a long time and he is the face of the team and the league. Crosby will retire in a Pens uniform. I have a hard time believing Malkin will. If in fact Kopitar would be included in any supposed trade, he would make a better 2nd line center for this team for many reasons. He would take less ice timed, leaving more for Sid, he would be a better cap hit for the budget and he would be more than capable of putting up great numbers for a 2nd line center. Listen, I'm certainly not advocating the trade of Malkin. I'm simply able to see a grander picture than "Malkin is the best and I hope he kills us" mentality. Every post you make about this topic reaks of puck-bunny fan club speak.

Wow, I've seen it all now. Kopitar would make our 2nd line better than Malkin. That is unbelieveable man. You do realize that we were 2 games away from the Stanley Cup with Sid and Geno dont you?

Where in the NHL rule book does it say a team cant have two number 1 caliber centers on the same team? We dont really have a clear-cut number 1 line anyway...its more 1a, 1b. We will be able to afford both these guys and fill in around them.

This isnt about who will retire a Pen and who won't, its about talking about trading perhaps the best talent in the game at the age of 21, and thinking you can get equal value for him. Malkin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brown and Kopitar.
Last edited by farnham16 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby crzymike on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:54 am

Pitts wrote:
HeyNow71871929 wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I understand your point Pitts and we discussed this about a year ago. You took the stance that Malkin may not stay, I took the position that we should hold on to him as much as we would Crosby. A year later we both hold true to form. I just believe the trade scenarios put forth really don't help us.

In general the team that gets the best player in said trade wins the trade. I have seen Kopitar play and no question he's a very good talent, Brown as well, but neither is in the class of Geno and it wouldn't be prudent to do that deal. I would make the same arguement for Sid or AO as well. Those three (Geno included) are untouchable.

Mario Lemieux will have some say on these decisions. Who better to understand the value of an Evgeni Malkin? Trust me, he's not goin anywhere unless he forces a trade, an I dont see that happening.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rohit on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:58 am

crzymike wrote: I understand your point Pitts and we discussed this about a year ago. You took the stance that Malkin may not stay, I took the position that we should hold on to him as much as we would Crosby. A year later we both hold true to form. I just believe the trade scenarios put forth really don't help us.

even if you differ on your opinion of whether or not malkin will stay, will somebody please answer me why are trades being discussed now when we CAN keep malkin and crosby

i thought the whole point to trading malkin and crosby was because we cant keep them both...right now we can...so why are trade rumors flying around

if this were 5 years from now and it was time for raises on the big contracts then yeah id understand
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins