Pierre saying Malkin to Kings for Kopitar, Dustin Brown

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:42 pm

I think Malkin sucks. We should trade him. Worst player on our team. Hossa > Malkin...hell, Talbot > Malkin. I say we move Malkin to Florida for some sand, a palm tree, and a coconut.

Sarcasm...at its finest.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,686
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:42 pm

Kovy27 wrote:I think Malkin sucks. We should trade him. Worst player on our team. Hossa > Malkin...hell, Talbot > Malkin. I say we move Malkin to Florida for some sand, a palm tree, and a coconut.

Sarcasm...at its finest.


If you throw in a beach chair, we have a deal.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,661
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby pfim on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:43 pm

Kovy27 wrote:I think Malkin sucks. We should trade him. Worst player on our team. Hossa > Malkin...hell, Talbot > Malkin. I say we move Malkin to Florida for some sand, a palm tree, and a coconut.

Sarcasm...at its finest.


You put da lime in de coconut...
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:44 pm

pfim wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:I think Malkin sucks. We should trade him. Worst player on our team. Hossa > Malkin...hell, Talbot > Malkin. I say we move Malkin to Florida for some sand, a palm tree, and a coconut.

Sarcasm...at its finest.


You put da lime in de coconut...


I got a lovely bunch of coconuts...tweedly dee.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,686
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm

Pitts wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Pitts wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:Well, Jason Williams is also UFA. He can play center or wing, pretty good on draws, righty shot, probably not going to get more than 2 mil a season.

Jason Williams and Cory Stillman are 2 UFA's I would certainly like Shero to reach out to.


For the right deal I think Stillman would help out.

Ryder and Huselius could probably be brought here for a combined 8 million. They both have 40 goal potential with centers like Sid and Geno, but they both have a lot of issues too.

I've always been a fan of Reasoner too, and Edmonton also has Sanderson up for contract. Yeah I know he is 35 and everything, but maybe if it's a one year deal it would work out well. He scored 39 goals over the past 2 seasons.


Vrbata looks like a potential fit here too.

Vrbata is and will continue to be my #1 choice until he re-signs with Phoenix (my prediction).

Williams is another winger with speed to burn and would fit in well. Huselius would be nice, but he's another hot/cold winger like Sykora. Ryder, don;t know a whole lot about - but, he doesn't seem to want to work to his potential to me. But, we can all see how Robidas and Ribero seem to have taken off once they got out of Montreal.


Exactly, and I mean it wasn't long ago that Malone was a very average hockey player. In fact, 51 points playing a full season with Sid and Geno isn't exactly great either. Malone deserves the money he will get, but I wont be surprised if he never matches the success he had here in Pittsburgh this past season.

There is no way to ever replace a Hossa, but you can sertainly replace the players you gave up to get Hossa via free agency And I really think that;s a positive attitude to take.
PenguinHockeyFanatic
 

Postby HeyNow71871929 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:41 pm

PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Pitts wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:
Pitts wrote:
PenguinHockeyFanatic wrote:Well, Jason Williams is also UFA. He can play center or wing, pretty good on draws, righty shot, probably not going to get more than 2 mil a season.

Jason Williams and Cory Stillman are 2 UFA's I would certainly like Shero to reach out to.


For the right deal I think Stillman would help out.

Ryder and Huselius could probably be brought here for a combined 8 million. They both have 40 goal potential with centers like Sid and Geno, but they both have a lot of issues too.

I've always been a fan of Reasoner too, and Edmonton also has Sanderson up for contract. Yeah I know he is 35 and everything, but maybe if it's a one year deal it would work out well. He scored 39 goals over the past 2 seasons.


Vrbata looks like a potential fit here too.

Vrbata is and will continue to be my #1 choice until he re-signs with Phoenix (my prediction).

Williams is another winger with speed to burn and would fit in well. Huselius would be nice, but he's another hot/cold winger like Sykora. Ryder, don;t know a whole lot about - but, he doesn't seem to want to work to his potential to me. But, we can all see how Robidas and Ribero seem to have taken off once they got out of Montreal.


Exactly, and I mean it wasn't long ago that Malone was a very average hockey player. In fact, 51 points playing a full season with Sid and Geno isn't exactly great either. Malone deserves the money he will get, but I wont be surprised if he never matches the success he had here in Pittsburgh this past season.

There is no way to ever replace a Hossa, but you can sertainly replace the players you gave up to get Hossa via free agency And I really think that;s a positive attitude to take.


Well, it's all gonna come down to Malone realizing if he goes to another team, Malkin and Sykora aren't going to tag along with him.
HeyNow71871929
 

Postby IrishEyes on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:42 pm

Kovy27 wrote:I think Malkin sucks. We should trade him. Worst player on our team. Hossa > Malkin...hell, Talbot > Malkin. I say we move Malkin to Florida for some sand, a palm tree, and a coconut.

Sarcasm...at its finest.


You would make my comment a total lie, wouldn't you? Why do I even bother?!?! :D
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,264
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: Damn the Man! Save the Empire!

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:50 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Stoosh...I completely agree. Malkin should be center piece of this team...but times have changed with the Cap...that's where I worry. The Colorado team is a great example though. They had an all world goaltender in the net though.

This thread turned into a Crosby vs. Malkin thing...and it is not...

People just don't understand that Crosby is the team leader and the center piece of the franchise. He will never be in trade discussions unless he wants to leave.


And to add to this, the major difference is the salary cap now. I believe that Sid and Malkin are 1 and 1A in the world on the ice, and both are elite talents which I hope we can keep on this team forever.

The whole issue is (and it's all speculation) how much does Malkin want? If he is demanding $11-12M, and we have the opportunity to sign Hossa for $6-7M, then you have to start looking at these scenarios.

Do you pay Malkin almost 40% higher salary than your captain and a guy that can also be considered the best player in the world? Can you afford the talent that is necessary to win a championship when appr. 40% of your cap space is tied into 2 players (almost 50% if you sign Hossa).

Unlike the past, there are limits on what you can spend, and that is why there may be an issue. Who knows, maybe Malkin takes a comparable salary as Sid's, and we have them both locked up forever.

No knock on Malkin, but this team is Sid's team, and rightfully so IMO.
You are right, it is speculation. Certainly there isnt anything wrong with it. That said, This idea that Geno is gonna ask for possibly 11 million per is completely unfounded. I dont know where you guys came up with these numbers but if you go by his comments, nowhere in those comments does he suggest such a thing. At most he's looking at Sid money. In the scheme of things that seems to be the most logical approach. How can he ask for more? It's just not gonna happen.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby Pensrock on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:53 pm

crzymike... it is a given that another team will offer him the max so why would he accept 8.7 and leave about 2 million per year on the table.

I honestly don't know what he will ask for but assuming he will take Sid money is the same as assuming he will ask for the Max. Both are just speculation at this point.
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:54 pm

crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Stoosh...I completely agree. Malkin should be center piece of this team...but times have changed with the Cap...that's where I worry. The Colorado team is a great example though. They had an all world goaltender in the net though.

This thread turned into a Crosby vs. Malkin thing...and it is not...

People just don't understand that Crosby is the team leader and the center piece of the franchise. He will never be in trade discussions unless he wants to leave.


And to add to this, the major difference is the salary cap now. I believe that Sid and Malkin are 1 and 1A in the world on the ice, and both are elite talents which I hope we can keep on this team forever.

The whole issue is (and it's all speculation) how much does Malkin want? If he is demanding $11-12M, and we have the opportunity to sign Hossa for $6-7M, then you have to start looking at these scenarios.

Do you pay Malkin almost 40% higher salary than your captain and a guy that can also be considered the best player in the world? Can you afford the talent that is necessary to win a championship when appr. 40% of your cap space is tied into 2 players (almost 50% if you sign Hossa).

Unlike the past, there are limits on what you can spend, and that is why there may be an issue. Who knows, maybe Malkin takes a comparable salary as Sid's, and we have them both locked up forever.

No knock on Malkin, but this team is Sid's team, and rightfully so IMO.
You are right, it is speculation. Certainly there isnt anything wrong with it. That said, This idea that Geno is gonna ask for possibly 11 million per is completely unfounded. I dont know where you guys came up with these numbers but if you go by his comments, nowhere in those comments does he suggest such a thing. At most he's looking at Sid money. In the scheme of things that seems to be the most logical approach. How can he ask for more? It's just not gonna happen.


Hence why it is speculation on a possible scenario. I think he will ask for money comparable to Sid, but I don't think it is impossible for him to ask for the max.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,661
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:55 pm

Pensrock wrote:crzymike... it is a given that another team will offer him the max so why would he accept 8.7 and leave about 2 million per year on the table.

I honestly don't know what he will ask for but assuming he will take Sid money is the same as assuming he will ask for the Max. Both are just speculation at this point.


The only think I can say about that, Sid left approx. $1.5M on the table. However, he does make a lot more than malkin in endorsments.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,661
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Stoosh wrote:Might as well throw my two cents into the ring...

If you look back over the last twenty or thirty years, just about every franchise that was able to sustain a legitimate Cup contender for any substantial length of time all had one common denominator - they all had two world-class centers.

There are exceptions, of course (the Devils). But for the most part, teams that sustained a Cup-contending core did so with two world-class centers at the top of their depth charts.

Edmonton had Gretzky and Messier. Pittsburgh had Lemieux and Francis. Colorado had Sakic and Forsberg. Detroit had Yzerman and Federov.

What is NOT a common denominator among those teams is the necessary presence of a couple of world-class wingers to play alongside them. Pittsburgh obviously had Stevens, Jagr, Tocchet and Recchi - marquee players at the time. Edmonton had Jari Kurri and Glenn Anderson, but they also had guys like Ken Linseman and Pat Hughes - not exactly earth-shattering names.

Colorado won it's first Cup with Valeri Kamensky, Claude Lemieux, Scott Young and Adam Deadmarsh on the wings. When they won their second in 2000-01, they did so with Hejduk, Drury, Tanguay and Podein. Detroit had Shanahan, Slava Kozlov, Darren McCarty and Martin LaPointe for its first two Cups, and then mixed in some older veterans like Hull and Robitaille along with the emerging Tomas Holmstrom in 2001-02.

My point is that I think Pittsburgh has the same sort of thing going here with Crosby and Malkin. You could make the case that they are two of the best three centers in the game right now, and each of them make their linemates better. Replacing a guy like Hossa isn't easy, but it's probably a hell of a lot easier than replacing a guy like Malkin.

As long as Crosby and Malkin have their own lines, this will always be a team capable of rolling three lines capable of scoring points - especially when you factor in Staal's presence on the third line and eventual presence on the power play. I'm going to have a hard time breaking that up for anything, given what history tells us about teams that can keep two world-class centers together.
Great post as usual Stoosh, I totally agree. I have mentioned several times in the past year that having a 1-1a punch like this is irreplaceable. Salary cap or no salary cap, Losing either half of this dynamic duo would in the long run hinder this team significantly. Other parts are far more easily replaceable.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:57 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Pensrock wrote:crzymike... it is a given that another team will offer him the max so why would he accept 8.7 and leave about 2 million per year on the table.

I honestly don't know what he will ask for but assuming he will take Sid money is the same as assuming he will ask for the Max. Both are just speculation at this point.


The only think I can say about that, Sid left approx. $1.5M on the table. However, he does make a lot more than malkin in endorsments.


I think a slight increase from Sid is reasonable for Malkin, since the cap has gone up and it would be the same % of cap, and he gets less endorsements. Say like 9 - 9.2 mil for the same amount of years.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,719
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Postby Pensrock on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:59 pm

Totally agree and that is why it is so much more understandable for Sid to take less. He more than makes up for it with Endorsements.

Expecting Malking to leave 1 or 2 million per year on the table is asking for alot. I hope I am wrong and he takes Sid money but who knows.

newarenanow wrote:
Pensrock wrote:crzymike... it is a given that another team will offer him the max so why would he accept 8.7 and leave about 2 million per year on the table.

I honestly don't know what he will ask for but assuming he will take Sid money is the same as assuming he will ask for the Max. Both are just speculation at this point.


The only think I can say about that, Sid left approx. $1.5M on the table. However, he does make a lot more than malkin in endorsments.
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:01 pm

newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Stoosh...I completely agree. Malkin should be center piece of this team...but times have changed with the Cap...that's where I worry. The Colorado team is a great example though. They had an all world goaltender in the net though.

This thread turned into a Crosby vs. Malkin thing...and it is not...

People just don't understand that Crosby is the team leader and the center piece of the franchise. He will never be in trade discussions unless he wants to leave.


And to add to this, the major difference is the salary cap now. I believe that Sid and Malkin are 1 and 1A in the world on the ice, and both are elite talents which I hope we can keep on this team forever.

The whole issue is (and it's all speculation) how much does Malkin want? If he is demanding $11-12M, and we have the opportunity to sign Hossa for $6-7M, then you have to start looking at these scenarios.

Do you pay Malkin almost 40% higher salary than your captain and a guy that can also be considered the best player in the world? Can you afford the talent that is necessary to win a championship when appr. 40% of your cap space is tied into 2 players (almost 50% if you sign Hossa).

Unlike the past, there are limits on what you can spend, and that is why there may be an issue. Who knows, maybe Malkin takes a comparable salary as Sid's, and we have them both locked up forever.

No knock on Malkin, but this team is Sid's team, and rightfully so IMO.
You are right, it is speculation. Certainly there isnt anything wrong with it. That said, This idea that Geno is gonna ask for possibly 11 million per is completely unfounded. I dont know where you guys came up with these numbers but if you go by his comments, nowhere in those comments does he suggest such a thing. At most he's looking at Sid money. In the scheme of things that seems to be the most logical approach. How can he ask for more? It's just not gonna happen.


Hence why it is speculation on a possible scenario. I think he will ask for money comparable to Sid, but I don't think it is impossible for him to ask for the max.
So are you saying IF he signs for ''Sid'' money then this whole point would be moot? Because I don't understand where this concept came from that he would ask for the max. If you take it a step further look at AO. His deal calls for 9.5 over 13 years. In four years or so that's a steal! If both Sid and AO signed deals to that effect (topping out at well less then 10 million) how did this notion arise where by Geno wants 11 million? I find this fabulously fascinating. :D
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:03 pm

Pensrock wrote:crzymike... it is a given that another team will offer him the max so why would he accept 8.7 and leave about 2 million per year on the table.

I honestly don't know what he will ask for but assuming he will take Sid money is the same as assuming he will ask for the Max. Both are just speculation at this point.
What makes you think that the Pen's wont sign him THIS summer? Where is it stated that he won't sign this summer? The Pen's are gonna sign him by september.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby Pensrock on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:04 pm

crzymike.... do you think another team will offer Malkin the max? I do so why is it totally fascinating that he might expect the max from the Pens.

Again, I have no idea what he is asking but it is certainly not out of the question that he may ask for that. You act likeit is insane to think that.
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:04 pm

it arose because that's what the max will be pushed up to, and that's what he's worth.
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,612
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:12 am
Location: Pascal's playoff eyebrows

Postby dogwithshftyeyes on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:05 pm

crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Stoosh...I completely agree. Malkin should be center piece of this team...but times have changed with the Cap...that's where I worry. The Colorado team is a great example though. They had an all world goaltender in the net though.

This thread turned into a Crosby vs. Malkin thing...and it is not...

People just don't understand that Crosby is the team leader and the center piece of the franchise. He will never be in trade discussions unless he wants to leave.


And to add to this, the major difference is the salary cap now. I believe that Sid and Malkin are 1 and 1A in the world on the ice, and both are elite talents which I hope we can keep on this team forever.

The whole issue is (and it's all speculation) how much does Malkin want? If he is demanding $11-12M, and we have the opportunity to sign Hossa for $6-7M, then you have to start looking at these scenarios.

Do you pay Malkin almost 40% higher salary than your captain and a guy that can also be considered the best player in the world? Can you afford the talent that is necessary to win a championship when appr. 40% of your cap space is tied into 2 players (almost 50% if you sign Hossa).

Unlike the past, there are limits on what you can spend, and that is why there may be an issue. Who knows, maybe Malkin takes a comparable salary as Sid's, and we have them both locked up forever.

No knock on Malkin, but this team is Sid's team, and rightfully so IMO.
You are right, it is speculation. Certainly there isnt anything wrong with it. That said, This idea that Geno is gonna ask for possibly 11 million per is completely unfounded. I dont know where you guys came up with these numbers but if you go by his comments, nowhere in those comments does he suggest such a thing. At most he's looking at Sid money. In the scheme of things that seems to be the most logical approach. How can he ask for more? It's just not gonna happen.


Hence why it is speculation on a possible scenario. I think he will ask for money comparable to Sid, but I don't think it is impossible for him to ask for the max.
So are you saying IF he signs for ''Sid'' money then this whole point would be moot? Because I don't understand where this concept came from that he would ask for the max. If you take it a step further look at AO. His deal calls for 9.5 over 13 years. In four years or so that's a steal! If both Sid and AO signed deals to that effect (topping out at well less then 10 million) how did this notion arise where by Geno wants 11 million? I find this fabulously fascinating. :D


I dont think anyone is saying Geno definitely wants the max, but i think it is a poosibility that he could ask for 10-12 mil. the truth is, noone really knows.
dogwithshftyeyes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: inner city

Postby Pensrock on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:06 pm

So what if they sign him this summer.... the contract will not start until after next year. Do you think him signing a year early automatically means he will take less money? If he knows he will get the max as a RFA and his goal is to get the max, why would he sign any contract this summer from the Pens if it is not the max.

crzymike wrote:
Pensrock wrote:crzymike... it is a given that another team will offer him the max so why would he accept 8.7 and leave about 2 million per year on the table.

I honestly don't know what he will ask for but assuming he will take Sid money is the same as assuming he will ask for the Max. Both are just speculation at this point.
What makes you think that the Pen's wont sign him THIS summer? Where is it stated that he won't sign this summer? The Pen's are gonna sign him by september.
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:07 pm

crzymike wrote:Hence why it is speculation on a possible scenario. I think he will ask for money comparable to Sid, but I don't think it is impossible for him to ask for the max.
So are you saying IF he signs for ''Sid'' money then this whole point would be moot? Because I don't understand where this concept came from that he would ask for the max. If you take it a step further look at AO. His deal calls for 9.5 over 13 years. In four years or so that's a steal! If both Sid and AO signed deals to that effect (topping out at well less then 10 million) how did this notion arise where by Geno wants 11 million? I find this fabulously fascinating. :D[/quote]

Didn't AO take the max though? As the cap rises, the salary rises, hence the extra money. Plus the Caps don't have to sign two players at that price.

But back to your original question. If Malkin takes around Sid money, then to me, you DO NOT TRADE HIM. However, you may not be able to keep Hossa then IMO.

In my argument, you only entertain those offers if he wants the max and you can get Hossa for $6-7M.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,661
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:10 pm

Pensrock wrote:crzymike.... do you think another team will offer Malkin the max? I do so why is it totally fascinating that he might expect the max from the Pens.

Again, I have no idea what he is asking but it is certainly not out of the question that he may ask for that. You act likeit is insane to think that.
To answer your first question NO because the Pens will sign him this summer. Let me just say this. Its a hell of a lot more likely he'll sign for Sid money than the cap max!

Another thing many here arent factoring in to the equasion is, What if he get's injured? If he signs a deal THIS summer, that money is guaranteed. He doesnt have to play another game and he could hit the jackpot. Though that money won't kick in for a year, it would be CERTAIN. There is far more reason to believe he will sign this summer for ''sid'' money then not. RS has intimated that signing EM this summer is a priority, why doubt him now?
Last edited by crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby Pensrock on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Your assumption of him signing this summer though is based on him being willing to accept less like Crosby. That is my whole point. Your assuming he will accept less just like some are assuming he wants the max. If you are right and he will accept less, then it is definitely a moot point. You sign him and NEVER trade him.

In fact, if that is what he will accept, his extension should already be signed. It would be the easiest contract extension in the world.

And you have a point about injury..... he would have to factor that into the equation. But how much of a discount is that worth? No one really knows but Malkin and his agent.


crzymike wrote:
Pensrock wrote:crzymike.... do you think another team will offer Malkin the max? I do so why is it totally fascinating that he might expect the max from the Pens.

Again, I have no idea what he is asking but it is certainly not out of the question that he may ask for that. You act likeit is insane to think that.
To answer your first question NO because the Pens will sign him this summer. Let me just say this. Its a hell of a lot more likely he'll sign for Sid money than the cap max!

Another thing many here arent factoring in to the equasion is, What if he get's injured? If he signs a deal THIS summer, that money is guaranteed. He doesnt have to play another game and he could hit the jackpot. Though that money won't kick in for a year, it would be CERTAIN. There is far more reason to believe he will sign this summer for ''sid'' money then not. RS has intimated that signing EM this summer is a priority, why doubt him now?
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:11 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:18 pm

dogwithshftyeyes wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Stoosh...I completely agree. Malkin should be center piece of this team...but times have changed with the Cap...that's where I worry. The Colorado team is a great example though. They had an all world goaltender in the net though.

This thread turned into a Crosby vs. Malkin thing...and it is not...

People just don't understand that Crosby is the team leader and the center piece of the franchise. He will never be in trade discussions unless he wants to leave.


And to add to this, the major difference is the salary cap now. I believe that Sid and Malkin are 1 and 1A in the world on the ice, and both are elite talents which I hope we can keep on this team forever.

The whole issue is (and it's all speculation) how much does Malkin want? If he is demanding $11-12M, and we have the opportunity to sign Hossa for $6-7M, then you have to start looking at these scenarios.

Do you pay Malkin almost 40% higher salary than your captain and a guy that can also be considered the best player in the world? Can you afford the talent that is necessary to win a championship when appr. 40% of your cap space is tied into 2 players (almost 50% if you sign Hossa).

Unlike the past, there are limits on what you can spend, and that is why there may be an issue. Who knows, maybe Malkin takes a comparable salary as Sid's, and we have them both locked up forever.

No knock on Malkin, but this team is Sid's team, and rightfully so IMO.
You are right, it is speculation. Certainly there isnt anything wrong with it. That said, This idea that Geno is gonna ask for possibly 11 million per is completely unfounded. I dont know where you guys came up with these numbers but if you go by his comments, nowhere in those comments does he suggest such a thing. At most he's looking at Sid money. In the scheme of things that seems to be the most logical approach. How can he ask for more? It's just not gonna happen.


Hence why it is speculation on a possible scenario. I think he will ask for money comparable to Sid, but I don't think it is impossible for him to ask for the max.
So are you saying IF he signs for ''Sid'' money then this whole point would be moot? Because I don't understand where this concept came from that he would ask for the max. If you take it a step further look at AO. His deal calls for 9.5 over 13 years. In four years or so that's a steal! If both Sid and AO signed deals to that effect (topping out at well less then 10 million) how did this notion arise where by Geno wants 11 million? I find this fabulously fascinating. :D


I dont think anyone is saying Geno definitely wants the max, but i think it is a poosibility that he could ask for 10-12 mil. the truth is, noone really knows.
OK I am gonna go on record as stating he WON'T ask for the cap max. Sure he'd want it, we all would. From what I know of him and from some insight I have on this situation, He will NOT ask for more then 9 million per. If I am wrong you can blame me but in this instance I feel confident that he will not ask for anything near the cap max. :)
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:20 pm

Pensrock wrote:Your assumption of him signing this summer though is based on him being willing to accept less like Crosby. That is my whole point. Your assuming he will accept less just like some are assuming he wants the max. If you are right and he will accept less, then it is definitely a moot point. You sign him and NEVER trade him.

In fact, if that is what he will accept, his extension should already be signed. It would be the easiest contract extension in the world.

And you have a point about injury..... he would have to factor that into the equation. But how much of a discount is that worth? No one really knows but Malkin and his agent.


crzymike wrote:
Pensrock wrote:crzymike.... do you think another team will offer Malkin the max? I do so why is it totally fascinating that he might expect the max from the Pens.

Again, I have no idea what he is asking but it is certainly not out of the question that he may ask for that. You act likeit is insane to think that.
To answer your first question NO because the Pens will sign him this summer. Let me just say this. Its a hell of a lot more likely he'll sign for Sid money than the cap max!

Another thing many here arent factoring in to the equasion is, What if he get's injured? If he signs a deal THIS summer, that money is guaranteed. He doesnt have to play another game and he could hit the jackpot. Though that money won't kick in for a year, it would be CERTAIN. There is far more reason to believe he will sign this summer for ''sid'' money then not. RS has intimated that signing EM this summer is a priority, why doubt him now?
He cant be signed to the extension till AFTER july 1st.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766, indian and 14 guests


e-mail