Pierre saying Malkin to Kings for Kopitar, Dustin Brown

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:21 pm

crzymike wrote:OK I am gonna go on record as stating he WON'T ask for the cap max. Sure he'd want it, we all would. From what I know of him and from some insight I have on this situation, He will NOT ask for more then 9 million per. If I am wrong you can blame me but in this instance I feel confident that he will not ask for anything near the cap max. :)

I'm going to hold you soley responsible if he asks for a penny more than $9M. :D
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:22 pm

crzymike wrote:
dogwithshftyeyes wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Stoosh...I completely agree. Malkin should be center piece of this team...but times have changed with the Cap...that's where I worry. The Colorado team is a great example though. They had an all world goaltender in the net though.

This thread turned into a Crosby vs. Malkin thing...and it is not...

People just don't understand that Crosby is the team leader and the center piece of the franchise. He will never be in trade discussions unless he wants to leave.

And to add to this, the major difference is the salary cap now. I believe that Sid and Malkin are 1 and 1A in the world on the ice, and both are elite talents which I hope we can keep on this team forever.

The whole issue is (and it's all speculation) how much does Malkin want? If he is demanding $11-12M, and we have the opportunity to sign Hossa for $6-7M, then you have to start looking at these scenarios.

Do you pay Malkin almost 40% higher salary than your captain and a guy that can also be considered the best player in the world? Can you afford the talent that is necessary to win a championship when appr. 40% of your cap space is tied into 2 players (almost 50% if you sign Hossa).

Unlike the past, there are limits on what you can spend, and that is why there may be an issue. Who knows, maybe Malkin takes a comparable salary as Sid's, and we have them both locked up forever.

No knock on Malkin, but this team is Sid's team, and rightfully so IMO.
You are right, it is speculation. Certainly there isnt anything wrong with it. That said, This idea that Geno is gonna ask for possibly 11 million per is completely unfounded. I dont know where you guys came up with these numbers but if you go by his comments, nowhere in those comments does he suggest such a thing. At most he's looking at Sid money. In the scheme of things that seems to be the most logical approach. How can he ask for more? It's just not gonna happen.

Hence why it is speculation on a possible scenario. I think he will ask for money comparable to Sid, but I don't think it is impossible for him to ask for the max.
So are you saying IF he signs for ''Sid'' money then this whole point would be moot? Because I don't understand where this concept came from that he would ask for the max. If you take it a step further look at AO. His deal calls for 9.5 over 13 years. In four years or so that's a steal! If both Sid and AO signed deals to that effect (topping out at well less then 10 million) how did this notion arise where by Geno wants 11 million? I find this fabulously fascinating. :D

I dont think anyone is saying Geno definitely wants the max, but i think it is a poosibility that he could ask for 10-12 mil. the truth is, noone really knows.
OK I am gonna go on record as stating he WON'T ask for the cap max. Sure he'd want it, we all would. From what I know of him and from some insight I have on this situation, He will NOT ask for more then 9 million per. If I am wrong you can blame me but in this instance I feel confident that he will not ask for anything near the cap max. :)

I hope you are right, then this thread can end before 50 pages. :lol:

Yeah if he will take less than 9 mil then you sign him instantly... put a NTC in or whatever, because you definitely don't trade him at that point.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:27 pm

newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:OK I am gonna go on record as stating he WON'T ask for the cap max. Sure he'd want it, we all would. From what I know of him and from some insight I have on this situation, He will NOT ask for more then 9 million per. If I am wrong you can blame me but in this instance I feel confident that he will not ask for anything near the cap max. :)

I'm going to hold you soley responsible if he asks for a penny more than $9M. :D
Definitely. You can call me every name in the book and I'd deserve it! :D

Look at 6 yrs 52-54mil. That has been rumored and thats what I see as happening. I know Geno likes the city.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pensrock on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:27 pm

Your correct..... my mistake. Then at 12:01 on July 1st he should be signed if he is only asking for Crosby money.

crzymike wrote:
Pensrock wrote:Your assumption of him signing this summer though is based on him being willing to accept less like Crosby. That is my whole point. Your assuming he will accept less just like some are assuming he wants the max. If you are right and he will accept less, then it is definitely a moot point. You sign him and NEVER trade him.

In fact, if that is what he will accept, his extension should already be signed. It would be the easiest contract extension in the world.

And you have a point about injury..... he would have to factor that into the equation. But how much of a discount is that worth? No one really knows but Malkin and his agent.

crzymike wrote:
Pensrock wrote:crzymike.... do you think another team will offer Malkin the max? I do so why is it totally fascinating that he might expect the max from the Pens.

Again, I have no idea what he is asking but it is certainly not out of the question that he may ask for that. You act likeit is insane to think that.
To answer your first question NO because the Pens will sign him this summer. Let me just say this. Its a hell of a lot more likely he'll sign for Sid money than the cap max!

Another thing many here arent factoring in to the equasion is, What if he get's injured? If he signs a deal THIS summer, that money is guaranteed. He doesnt have to play another game and he could hit the jackpot. Though that money won't kick in for a year, it would be CERTAIN. There is far more reason to believe he will sign this summer for ''sid'' money then not. RS has intimated that signing EM this summer is a priority, why doubt him now?
He cant be signed to the extension till AFTER july 1st.
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:31 pm

Pensrock wrote:Your correct..... my mistake. Then at 12:01 on July 1st he should be signed if he is only asking for Crosby money.

crzymike wrote:
Pensrock wrote:Your assumption of him signing this summer though is based on him being willing to accept less like Crosby. That is my whole point. Your assuming he will accept less just like some are assuming he wants the max. If you are right and he will accept less, then it is definitely a moot point. You sign him and NEVER trade him.

In fact, if that is what he will accept, his extension should already be signed. It would be the easiest contract extension in the world.

And you have a point about injury..... he would have to factor that into the equation. But how much of a discount is that worth? No one really knows but Malkin and his agent.

crzymike wrote:
Pensrock wrote:crzymike.... do you think another team will offer Malkin the max? I do so why is it totally fascinating that he might expect the max from the Pens.

Again, I have no idea what he is asking but it is certainly not out of the question that he may ask for that. You act likeit is insane to think that.
To answer your first question NO because the Pens will sign him this summer. Let me just say this. Its a hell of a lot more likely he'll sign for Sid money than the cap max!

Another thing many here arent factoring in to the equasion is, What if he get's injured? If he signs a deal THIS summer, that money is guaranteed. He doesnt have to play another game and he could hit the jackpot. Though that money won't kick in for a year, it would be CERTAIN. There is far more reason to believe he will sign this summer for ''sid'' money then not. RS has intimated that signing EM this summer is a priority, why doubt him now?
He cant be signed to the extension till AFTER july 1st.
If he is gonna be signed for that amount whats the hurry? I think dealing with Hossa or MAF should be done sooner due to time constraints. Sid's deal wasnt done till august.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:35 pm

crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Look at 6 yrs 52-54mil. That has been rumored and thats what I see as happening. I know Geno likes the city.

Are you Geno??? :shock:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:47 pm

newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

No, but I did stay at a holiday express last night. :wink:
Last edited by crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:48 pm

I hate to be "that message board guy", but seriously folks, some people in this discussion are quoting material improperly and it's making it next to impossible to read the discussion.

When you select "quote", write YOUR RESPONSE BELOW the text that is already entered in the message box.

Otherwise, reading the discussion is like trying to make your way through a maze. It's just way easier this way.

"Don't cause a problem, but your response on the bottom!"

Yes, I made that slogan myself.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:49 pm

crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

No, but did I stay at a holiday express last night. :wink:

That explains it! :lol:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:50 pm

Jesse wrote:I hate to be "that message board guy", but seriously folks, some people in this discussion are quoting material improperly and it's making it next to impossible to read the discussion.

When you select "quote", write YOUR RESPONSE BELOW the text that is already entered in the message box.

Otherwise, reading the discussion is like trying to make your way through a maze. It's just way easier this way.

I second this. I would love to read what they are saying, but everything is messed up, I just gave up and skip over those messages.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:52 pm

Exactly :lol:

newarenanow wrote:
Jesse wrote:I hate to be "that message board guy", but seriously folks, some people in this discussion are quoting material improperly and it's making it next to impossible to read the discussion.

I second this. I would love to read what they are saying, but everything is messed up, I just gave up and skip over those messages.
Last edited by AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Angle on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:53 pm

newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Are you Geno's interpreter??? :shock:
No, but did I stay at a holiday express last night. :wink:

I fixed it for you
Angle
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:54 pm

:evil:

"]Exactly :lol:

newarenanow wrote:

newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wallflower on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:55 pm

Every time I log in, this thread is a couple pages longer and I click on it thinking that at some point, the conversation must have shifted. But it hasn't and everyone still has the same stance they did twenty pages ago.

I'm not criticizing, just realizing that despite it being a "shorter" offseason, it's going to be very long. :lol:
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:01 pm

wallflower wrote:Every time I log in, this thread is a couple pages longer and I click on it thinking that at some point, the conversation must have shifted. But it hasn't and everyone still has the same stance they did twenty pages ago.

I'm not criticizing, just realizing that despite it being a "shorter" offseason, it's going to be very long. :lol:
I am feelin the love from fellow posters and I really needed it. Let the love, fun and speculation rage on as we kill time this offseason. I thank you all. :D
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:05 pm

newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

No, but I dId stay at a holiday express last night. :wink:

By the way, Happy Birthday NAN! You are on fire! Don't worry eventhough you have hit 30! :)
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stoosh on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:08 pm

Couple more thoughts I have on this...

1. This notion that Malkin is going to want to max out seems to come largely from a media guided mostly by the stereotype that most European hockey players only care about getting a big contract. I've heard it mentioned in articles in the Canadian media. I've heard Maguire mention it. It boils down to this for some of these media types:

Malkin = Euro = Max Contract

Connect the dots, I guess. There's no basis for it...nothing attributed directly to Malkin or his agent. And it's nothing but perpetuating this stereotype that the Euros don't care about the Cup as much as they do maxing out on a contract. Until I actually hear it from Malkin or his agent, I don't see him going for a max level deal.

2. I heard Starkey mention this yesterday on ESPN Radio 1250. When you factor in how much the cap could increase every year between now and the end of Crosby's contract, he left a hell of a lot more on the table than $1.5 million a year. Sid's contract could end up saving the Pens upwards of $20 million by the time it's time to ink him to a new one.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:14 pm

Stoosh wrote:Couple more thoughts I have on this...

1. This notion that Malkin is going to want to max out seems to come largely from a media guided mostly by the stereotype that most European hockey players only care about getting a big contract. I've heard it mentioned in articles in the Canadian media. I've heard Maguire mention it. It boils down to this for some of these media types:

Malkin = Euro = Max Contract

Connect the dots, I guess. There's no basis for it...nothing attributed directly to Malkin or his agent. And it's nothing but perpetuating this stereotype that the Euros don't care about the Cup as much as they do maxing out on a contract. Until I actually hear it from Malkin or his agent, I don't see him going for a max level deal.

2. I heard Starkey mention this yesterday on ESPN Radio 1250. When you factor in how much the cap could increase every year between now and the end of Crosby's contract, he left a hell of a lot more on the table than $1.5 million a year. Sid's contract could end up saving the Pens upwards of $20 million by the time it's time to ink him to a new one.
It really doesnt fit into anything tangible to suggest he'd want the Max. It's been speculated about by people who are making broad generalizations (media). As it specifically pertains to this case, as you said there is no basis for it whatsoever. I have insisted he would be around 9 million per and nothing I have seen or heard from anyone who knows Geno, would lead me to believe otherwise.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:22 pm

crzymike wrote:
By the way, Happy Birthday NAN! You are on fire! Don't worry eventhough you have hit 30! :)[/quote]

Thanks. The #30 kinda sucks, but I realize as I get a little older, it's really not that old. I sitll feel like I'm 18 (and act like it). When I was 10, I thought 20 was old as hell and 30, you pretty much should be a grandparent. When I was 20, I thought 30 was old, and 20 was young. Now, I'm 30, and I see that as young.

I guess it's all realative. My parents are getting to 60, and I don't see them as that old, but when I was young an my grandparents were 60-65, I thought they were ancient.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Maagwa on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:26 pm

This is so stupid... If malkin wants max he needs meds... he got 106 pts not 2506
Maagwa

Postby crzymike on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:27 pm

newarenanow wrote:
crzymike wrote:
By the way, Happy Birthday NAN! You are on fire! Don't worry eventhough you have hit 30! :)

Thanks. The #30 kinda sucks, but I realize as I get a little older, it's really not that old. I sitll feel like I'm 18 (and act like it). When I was 10, I thought 20 was old as hell and 30, you pretty much should be a grandparent. When I was 20, I thought 30 was old, and 20 was young. Now, I'm 30, and I see that as young.

I guess it's all realative. My parents are getting to 60, and I don't see them as that old, but when I was young an my grandparents were 60-65, I thought they were ancient.[/quote]Dude, I think your age is gettin the better of you. Your editing is getting very confusing. :P
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:27 pm

So, you're saying Malkin needs maxi-meds then?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:28 pm

crzymike wrote:Dude, I think your age is gettin the better of you. Your editing is getting very confusing. :P

I f'd that one up. My bad. :D
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby holeinone on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:30 pm

Trust me on this one. It will take a lot more than Malkin to get the Kings to the Stanley Cup Finals. Kopitar, Brown and a 1st round draft pick or Jack Johnson would finalize that deal for me. Beside the rumor is that Malkin wants 10 Million a year for 10 years. Way too much for a team that already has Crosby.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:51 pm

holeinone wrote:Trust me on this one. It will take a lot more than Malkin to get the Kings to the Stanley Cup Finals. Kopitar, Brown and a 1st round draft pick or Jack Johnson would finalize that deal for me. Beside the rumor is that Malkin wants 10 Million a year for 10 years. Way too much for a team that already has Crosby.
That's such a stupid rumor. Malkin himself said that he wants a deal maybe half the length of ovechkin's.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins