Blues/Pens working on a swap?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby guiner on Tue May 09, 2006 9:58 pm

NIN wrote:
Thats why it is CRITICAL that the Pens don't let on about who they are interested in drafting. They need to give the impression that it could be anybody up untill it's time to pick . Obviously they need EJ but they should also deal with the reality of picking #2 without him being there. The less the rest of the league knows about the Penguins picking a forward the better.

Come on, I think St. Louis is aware we have Crosby and Malkin, and it doesnt take a brain surgeon to figure out that the Pens are set at center. Your "ploy" would work better if there was an impact winger sitting second but they are all natural centers.

I think the deal will be made because the deal makes sense. That is how they usually work out. They are devoid of any forward talent, have some adequate young players on D. Its a win win situation. They get a blue chip forward at the 2nd pick and a decent young forward from us and we get the stud on D that sets us up with one of the best cores of blue chippers in the league... Crosby, Malkin, Johnson and Fleury. That's pretty darn solid up the middle.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Tue May 09, 2006 10:19 pm

guiner wrote:
NIN wrote:
Thats why it is CRITICAL that the Pens don't let on about who they are interested in drafting. They need to give the impression that it could be anybody up untill it's time to pick . Obviously they need EJ but they should also deal with the reality of picking #2 without him being there. The less the rest of the league knows about the Penguins picking a forward the better.

Come on, I think St. Louis is aware we have Crosby and Malkin, and it doesnt take a brain surgeon to figure out that the Pens are set at center. Your "ploy" would work better if there was an impact winger sitting second but they are all natural centers.

I think the deal will be made because the deal makes sense. That is how they usually work out. They are devoid of any forward talent, have some adequate young players on D. Its a win win situation. They get a blue chip forward at the 2nd pick and a decent young forward from us and we get the stud on D that sets us up with one of the best cores of blue chippers in the league... Crosby, Malkin, Johnson and Fleury. That's pretty darn solid up the middle.

g

Well yeah when you put it like that it sounds meaningless. Just like everybody knows that ST. Louis is terribly thin at center and they have a decent top 3 blueliner in Backman already. Sooooo you would think they would want a canter like Kessel or Staal. Of course they are the ones holding all of the cards and they can trade to whomever they want or just draft the best player #1 and taht will be that.

If they Pens come out and offer them Armstrong right off the back because they are so God awfully desperate for a #1 blueliner then that would be pretty dumb on the Pens part would'nt it? If they just play it cool and consider the possibility of converting Staal or another young center to wing (and I dont need to remind you but I will that Malkin IS NOT currently a Penguin) then they "look" like they are not desperate and they might not be expected to sell the farm for a better pick.

Lets not forget that both of these teams need help EVERYWHERE. The weaknesses are more evident here or there but neither club can really afford to give up youth at any position. The Pens need to be as stingy as p[ossible but make a deal if it makes sense. Being discreat might not fool anybody but what the heck is it going to hurt? The difference between a Surovy and a Christensen is pretty significant in my opininon.
NIN

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins