Former draft picks

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Former draft picks

Postby Johnny QuickSand on Tue May 09, 2006 7:32 pm

I don't know if it's a creation of CP's recent drafts, but as I look up the last 5 or 6 drafts on hockeydb, I can't tell who is still owned by the Pens.

Sergei Anshekov and Ondrej Nemec come to mind. Is there any sort of comprehensive list of all of the players whose rights are owned by the Pens?
Johnny QuickSand

Postby tom_servo on Tue May 09, 2006 8:10 pm

I think we still have the rights to both of those players (Anshakov I'm sure of).
tom_servo

Postby DelPen on Tue May 09, 2006 8:45 pm

Can we still lose Nemec's rights or did the contract he signed with WBS for the playoffs cancel that out? But it was an Amateur tryout deal so who knows. He'd be a welcome addition with him being a righty but I said it then and I'll say it again now, they really should have grabbed Jiri Hudler with that pick.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue May 09, 2006 8:47 pm

I thought I read/heard recently that Nemec needed to be signed this summer in order to keep his rights. So far I haven't had any luck in tracking that down. It may have been one of the Bob Grove podcasts...

No worries on Anshankov. The NHL is not enforcing the 2 year rule on Russian players since they are not currently bound under the IIHF transfer agreement.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Tue May 09, 2006 8:58 pm

I think that is right netwolf. I don't have a link to back it up either, but I remember reading that.

DP, you were dead on with that one. A lot of people wanted Hudler with that pick. He'd be a great guy to have around right now.
MrKnowNothing

Postby netwolf on Tue May 09, 2006 9:02 pm

He was talked about as a first rounder that year. No one could figure out why he fell...

Look at who Edmonton took right after the Pens grabbed Nemec. We're in good shape at center, but that's a guy that could play any role you want.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2002e.html

And for the record, I really wanted them to take Joffrey Lupul at #5 mostly because they had no bonafide scoring prospects at the time. Whitney is a nice player and has a chance to be great, but that's also true of Lupul and he addressed a more pressing need IMO.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue May 09, 2006 9:12 pm

Wasn't Hudler recovering from a shoulder injury or somthing like that? People were questioning his size but everyone said he was a natural goal scorer. Oh well, hope the Red Wings will be happy with him for many years to come.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby scals37 on Thu May 11, 2006 8:11 am

check out lasse pirjeta in the fifth round down there..... surrounded by some no namers
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu May 11, 2006 8:31 am

Anshekov was not a CP draft pick.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins