Edmonton now in the Malone Trade Bidding War?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Edmonton now in the Malone Trade Bidding War?

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:18 am

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... f0&k=62933

Oilers GM Kevin Lowe may have called Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero about unrestricted free-agent winger Ryan Malone, who scored 27 goals this past season.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have inquired about getting the rights to the hard-nosed Malone, who has had two lowball offers and is certainly testing the market on July 1.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:22 am

Very interesting.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Coy and Vance on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:23 am

This is where I bring up the name Raffi Torres...again. :D
Coy and Vance
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:24 am

Coy and Vance wrote:This is where I bring up the name Raffi Torres...again. :D

I was thinking the same thing. The only other player that I would really want off their roster is Hemsky...and I bet he isn't available. :P :pop:
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cs6687 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:27 am

Ales Hemsky, please. Just kidding. But Kyle Brodziak would be a fair exchange.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:31 am

Raffi Torres! Pleasssse, Mr. Shero, find a way to do it!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:33 am

I guess there's no chance at Cogliano here, right? :?:
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby duke66 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:38 am

Defence21 wrote:Raffi Torres! Pleasssse, Mr. Shero, find a way to do it!

...i'm not bashing torres, but his career high in goals is 27, same as malone i believe...he has re-gressed the past two seasons, and i don't think he kills penalties...so not sure what all the fuss is about...
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:48 am

Who would you rather have? Fritsche or Torres.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Scott on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:50 am

How does he know it is a low ball offer? Because he didn't sign? I think Malone was going to see what was out there anyway. He very well might sign with the Pens again after seeing that the offers are close. There is no way for him to know that at this point he is being "low-balled" as he can't speak to anyone about contract yet other than the Pens.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Firebird on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:00 pm

I thought Edmonton only goes after RFAs?
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:04 pm

:pop:
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:16 pm

Would anybody be interested in Marc-Andre Pouliot in exchange for the rights to Malone?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Edmonton now in the Malone Trade Bidding War?

Postby shortbird II on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:32 pm

Kovy27 wrote:http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=810b3d48-1a91-4773-8743-af8d9f8717f0&k=62933

Oilers GM Kevin Lowe may have called Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero about unrestricted free-agent winger Ryan Malone, who scored 27 goals this past season.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have inquired about getting the rights to the hard-nosed Malone, who has had two lowball offers and is certainly testing the market on July 1.

Wasn't there some blaqbbing about RM only wanting to play for a US based team?

II
shortbird II
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LexPenguin on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Kicksave wrote:Would anybody be interested in Marc-Andre Pouliot in exchange for the rights to Malone?

Classic underachiever. You could be close to calling him a bust IMO. Brodziak wouldn't be bad I guess. I wonder if Robbie Schrempf is available.
LexPenguin

Postby crzymike on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:01 pm

I know Ryan is somewhat of a hot commodity these days and granted he did have a great year but COME ON! Most rumors I wouldnt put much stock into anyway but damn, people act like the guy is a franchise wing! If other teams value him that much I think its great from a Pen's perspective but I can't see teams giving up much for a guy who will be a UFA in two weeks.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LexPenguin on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:03 pm

crzymike wrote:I know Ryan is somewhat of a hot commodity these days and granted he did have a great year but COME ON! Most rumors I wouldnt put much stock into anyway but damn, people act like the guy is a franchise wing! If other teams value him that much I think its great from a Pen's perspective but I can't see teams giving up much for a guy who will be a UFA in two weeks.

Last year's Philly/Nashville deal with Hartnell and Timmonen started something new in this league. Don't be shocked if you see more of these deals in the coming years.
LexPenguin

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:04 pm

I'd rather take any draft pick compensation than a guy who's pretty much a bust. I'd say that the ideal situation would be for the Pens to get Hossa signed before the draft and then trade Malone's rights for a third or fourth rounder. Extend that further, get Orpik signed and trade Sydor for a similar draft pick and the hit they had taken from trading picks at the last two deadlines wouldn't be as bad, plus they'd still have Hossa anyway.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:05 pm

LexPenguin wrote:
crzymike wrote:I know Ryan is somewhat of a hot commodity these days and granted he did have a great year but COME ON! Most rumors I wouldnt put much stock into anyway but damn, people act like the guy is a franchise wing! If other teams value him that much I think its great from a Pen's perspective but I can't see teams giving up much for a guy who will be a UFA in two weeks.

Last year's Philly/Nashville deal with Hartnell and Timmonen started something new in this league. Don't be shocked if you see more of these deals in the coming years.

That's not really a new thing. I remember UFAs being traded more frequently in the late 90's or so. The Philly deal was a little different because that clearly seemed like something that the two teams had planned in advance with the Forsberg trade. Usually impending free agents got traded for low round draft picks.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:06 pm

LexPenguin wrote:
Kicksave wrote:Would anybody be interested in Marc-Andre Pouliot in exchange for the rights to Malone?

Classic underachiever. You could be close to calling him a bust IMO. Brodziak wouldn't be bad I guess. I wonder if Robbie Schrempf is available.

I just don't think the Pens are going to get as much as we think we they can get for RM's rights. If you can get a pick and Pouliot, I think that'd be a decent deal. The guy has some pedigree. He's RHed and worked well with Sid in the juniors IIRC. At worst, we get a good 3rd liner to replace what we've lost.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:08 pm

A couple examples of this sort of thing happening before... in 2002 the Rangers traded Richter's rights to Edmonton (he ended up signing with NY anyway). A year later they traded Messier's rights to San Jose (again, signed with NY). Both were traded for future considerations... was there free agent compensation in those days or was that just in baseball?
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby LexPenguin on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
LexPenguin wrote:

That's not really a new thing. I remember UFAs being traded more frequently in the late 90's or so. The Philly deal was a little different because that clearly seemed like something that the two teams had planned in advance with the Forsberg trade. Usually impending free agents got traded for low round draft picks.

I think Holmgren did that deal with Nashville to KEEP either Timmonen or Hartnell, or both away from Pittsburgh. It was no secrete both of those guys were linked to the Pens
LexPenguin

Postby crzymike on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:15 pm

LexPenguin wrote:

I am fully aware of that trade but it involved Timonen AND Hartnell. All Philly gave up was what they got from Nashville in the first place. Malone is good but if someone like Columbus throws 5 million a year for 5 years at him (again im not sold on those rumors) thay have got to be out of their minds.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:16 pm

Henry Hank wrote:A couple examples of this sort of thing happening before... in 2002 the Rangers traded Richter's rights to Edmonton (he ended up signing with NY anyway). A year later they traded Messier's rights to San Jose (again, signed with NY). Both were traded for future considerations... was there free agent compensation in those days or was that just in baseball?

There was compensation back then.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Kicksave wrote:I just don't think the Pens are going to get as much as we think we they can get for RM's rights. If you can get a pick and Pouliot, I think that'd be a decent deal. The guy has some pedigree. He's RHed and worked well with Sid in the juniors IIRC. At worst, we get a good 3rd liner to replace what we've lost.

I don't see us getting any player from any NHL roster for just the "chance" of signing Malone. The Jackets or the Oilers would be low on Malone's list of options on July 1st, and they would have to go on a full-scale recruiting campaign to get him signed.

The reason this talk is heating up now is the fact that the draft is next weekend, which indicates that a draft pick is the bait. That is still something in return for nothing if we know we can't afford his asking price.

If Malone really is asking for $5M from the Pens, then he certainly is looking for every penny and isn't putting being a Penguin first. If he doesn't want to give us some form of discount off of this hypothetical market value, then I agree with letting him walk.

The only concern is that I wouldn't want him to end up in the Atlantic division. If he goes UFA, we have no control over that. I would almost rather sign him and try to trade him.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins