2002 draft - Ryan Whitney or .....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2002 draft - Ryan Whitney or .....

Postby Draftnik on Tue May 09, 2006 11:14 pm

Joffrey Lupul
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Tue May 09, 2006 11:19 pm

I remember watching that draft at Philthy McNasty's (back when that was still down near Station Square). Me and a whole bunch of friends were leaving for Myrtle Beach that evening, and we decided to kick off the vacation with a draft party down at PM's.

I was happy that they got Whitney, but he was third on my list of hopefuls behind Pitkanen and Lupul.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby guiner on Tue May 09, 2006 11:30 pm

Ryan Whitney.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Tue May 09, 2006 11:34 pm

I remember not wanting Lupul on draft day, or Whitney for that matter. I was hoping we'd end up with Lehtonen.

Lupul looks to be better so far, but it's still only been four years. I think if you redid the draft, Lupul would go ahead of Whitney right now. Semin, Higgins, and Toivonen would probably go higher (Paille will also be a good one).

Whitney has a very high ceiling though. If he reaches the level he did in the AHL, then look out. I would take Lupul over him right now, but what can you do? You can play this game of looking back at drafts and seeing who went a few picks after your player with every team.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Goalie on Tue May 09, 2006 11:56 pm

Whitney had 38 points in 68 games this year, Lupul put up 53 in 81. Good numbers for both but to me its way to early to call this either way. Lupul had a great game tonight so the knee jerk reaction says he is the better choice but there is still a lot of time for that to play out.

Now if one wants to make the argument that the Penguins would be better off with a potential big time goal scorer than a potential #1 defenseman that is a matter of philosophy and there are good points to be made on each side of that debate.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Wed May 10, 2006 12:09 am

Goalie wrote:Whitney had 38 points in 68 games this year, Lupul put up 53 in 81. Good numbers for both but to me its way to early to call this either way. Lupul had a great game tonight so the knee jerk reaction says he is the better choice but there is still a lot of time for that to play out.

Now if one wants to make the argument that the Penguins would be better off with a potential big time goal scorer than a potential #1 defenseman that is a matter of philosophy and there are good points to be made on each side of that debate.

I don't know much about Lupul, but checking stats, one thing that struck me was his -13 on a team almost entirely plus.

I stuck with Whitney because he made significant progress this year, he really started to jump up at smart times in the final month. I think a big puck moving defenseman of Whitney's calibre is a tougher thing to find.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed May 10, 2006 1:13 am

So 1 four goal game and we're ready to re-write the draft? :?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bse on Wed May 10, 2006 2:04 am

Pitts wrote:So 1 four goal game and we're ready to re-write the draft? :?

Aye, how quickly things change... same question six months earlier would have yielded quite different results.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Reilly on Wed May 10, 2006 2:23 am

Pitts wrote:So 1 four goal game and we're ready to re-write the draft? :?

You have 800+ posts on this board and you just realized the rational that goes on here? Hell, Crosby lights up Norway and we have people proclaming him to be the best player to ever lace up skates.
Reilly

rolling eyes workout

Postby penny lane on Wed May 10, 2006 8:32 am

Hell, Crosby lights up Norway and we have people proclaming him to be the best player to ever lace up skates.

:roll: Sid only as good as his opposition allows :roll:

during the summer Sidney's training regiment will now
include having to wear a blindfold on the ice; then we'll
see if he's worthy. Good enough for thoroughbreds, good
enough for Sid.

as for R Whitney, I was expecting him to dominate more in
the AHL play-offs. Although I can understand if he was
weary from penguin season. who isn't? :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Wed May 10, 2006 9:18 am

nobody was more surprised by Lupal's 4 goal game then Lupal himself. He isn't a star. He is a good hockey player who should stay around for awhile in the league. I doubt his career will end up being much better than Whitney's if it is at all.
NIN

Postby pfim on Wed May 10, 2006 11:19 am

Ryan Whitney. He still has the higher ceiling.

Just think though, they could have taken Petr Taticek :roll:
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Wed May 10, 2006 12:21 pm

I've always been in the Lupul corner. He had a couple of true goal scorer's goals last night. I think Whitney is too soft, but developmentally they are pretty equal right now.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tocchet on Wed May 10, 2006 12:25 pm

At the time, I wanted Pitkinnen, Lupul then Whitney. I thought the Pens needed a big, scoring RW like Lupul, which is why I wanted him more.

Also, I'm not sure that Whitney necessarily has a "higher ceiling" -- Lupul's is pretty high too. 28 goals in your second season in the NHL and a breakout post-season (7 goals in 10 games) is pretty dang impressive for a 22 year old.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: ducks/pens

Postby penny lane on Wed May 10, 2006 1:36 pm

Draftnik wrote:Joffrey Lupul

except for stroke of pure luck Sidney would have been
playing with joffrey lupul & in play-offs.
one of those twists of fate moments
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mnpensfan on Wed May 10, 2006 1:56 pm

I wanted them to draft Lupul that year. Not saying I'm displeased with Whitney, I just really wanted them to take him that year. How good would he look playing with Sidney right now???
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jimjom on Wed May 10, 2006 2:00 pm

Lupul. I remember Madden pushing for Lupul.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jmh470 on Wed May 10, 2006 3:05 pm

At that time I supported Lupul. Right now, I think it's a toss up. Whitney's skills will be invaluable in a few years, but Lupul has all the tools to be a very good goal scorer in this league.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed May 10, 2006 3:54 pm

Tocchet wrote:At the time, I wanted Pitkinnen, Lupul then Whitney. I thought the Pens needed a big, scoring RW like Lupul, which is why I wanted him more.

Also, I'm not sure that Whitney necessarily has a "higher ceiling" -- Lupul's is pretty high too. 28 goals in your second season in the NHL and a breakout post-season (7 goals in 10 games) is pretty dang impressive for a 22 year old.

I just think that while Lupul's production will go up, he's a one dimensional player. Whitney is a much better athlete, and if he can figure it out in the defensive zone, could be a much more valuable player.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Wed May 10, 2006 5:21 pm

Whitney faded quickly. He was mediocre for the Pens at the end of the season, and looked lost and couldn't hit the net to save his life in Hershey this weekend.

I saw a player that did a great job upon being called up and then became average and stale. I hope this ceiling I keep hearing about actually gets reached.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed May 10, 2006 11:29 pm

I wanted Lupul almost solely based on the fact that they had no legit goal scorers in the system. Come to think of it, they still don't.

At one time, Surovy appeared to be, but the last two years have clouded his future IMO.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu May 11, 2006 8:29 am

netwolf wrote:I wanted Lupul almost solely based on the fact that they had no legit goal scorers in the system. Come to think of it, they still don't.

At one time, Surovy appeared to be, but the last two years have clouded his future IMO.

They didn't have any top 4 defensemen in the system either. Still really don't yet.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu May 11, 2006 1:31 pm

pfim wrote:
netwolf wrote:I wanted Lupul almost solely based on the fact that they had no legit goal scorers in the system. Come to think of it, they still don't.

They didn't have any top 4 defensemen in the system either. Still really don't yet.

Wasn't Orpik considered as such at the time? I thought he slipped quite a bit more than expected that year, which is kind of funnt because I had heard the Pens (Malone especially) were really high on Alexander Frolov. He was there at the Pens pick, but Orpik fell to them...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu May 11, 2006 1:52 pm

Orpik had just finished up his first of two years at WBS. Still, they needed goalscorers and defensemen just as much, well, as they do now (maybe to a lesser extent on the defensemen).
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu May 11, 2006 2:12 pm

I will not criticize this pick. I liked it at the time and I still do. The team needed everything at that time and still does. So they took the best available player. That might end up being Whitney, or it might end up being Lupul. But I don't udnerstand why people are writing off Whitney at this point. The guy had 38 points in 68 games (or 0.56 points per game) as a rookie defenseman. The great Dion Phaneuf only averaged 0.60 points per game. No, I am not comparing them solely on that and I realize Whitney is not in his class overall. But offensively, he is. In fact, among the top 20 in scoring by rookie defensemen, Whitney ranked second, that's right, second, in points per game. That's none too shabby.

Do I want him to be more positionally sound? Of course, but I do try to keep in mind that he was a rookie, and that will get better with time. Would I like him to be more physical? Sure. But in the new NHL, physicality isn't as important as good positioning.

Lupul might well turn out to be a great goal scorer. But I'm just saying I am perfectly happy with where Whitney is right now.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins