Group from Hamilton interested in Penguins

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Group from Hamilton interested in Penguins

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed May 10, 2006 9:16 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06130/688885-61.stm

At the bottom of the article.

Add Hamilton, Ontario to the list of cities that would like to have the Penguins if the franchise relocates. Sportsnet, a Canadian network, reported that HHC Acquisition, a company that failed in two previous attempts to land an NHL team for Hamilton, plans to make an offer for the Penguins at the end of next month. Sportsnet noted that the NHL must approve any franchise transfer. ...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060509_181806_6368

Sportsnet.ca -- The same company that twice tried to bring an NHL team to Hamilton, Ont., is now looking into the possibility of relocating the Pittsburgh Penguins there.

Admin edited: Please don't post articles in their entirety.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Wed May 10, 2006 9:21 am

:shock: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why wont they just let us be!!!

:cry: VULTURES!!!

The God forsaken vultures.......
NIN

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed May 10, 2006 9:22 am

Everyone loves the idea of having the Pittsburgh Penguins, except Pittsburgh.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby elij21 on Wed May 10, 2006 9:31 am

It's not going to happen, the NHL won't let two teams being so close. Hamilton and Toronto is like 30 hours on the highways. New York is an exeption because of the population.
elij21

Postby elij21 on Wed May 10, 2006 9:32 am

[quote="elij21"]It's not going to happen, the NHL won't let two teams being so close. Hamilton and Toronto is like 30 hours on the highways. New York is an exeption because of the population.[/quote]

Sorry i met 30 minutes on the highway.
elij21

Postby rasbatch on Wed May 10, 2006 9:40 am

elij21 wrote:
elij21 wrote:It's not going to happen, the NHL won't let two teams being so close. Hamilton and Toronto is like 30 hours on the highways. New York is an exeption because of the population.

I figured 30 hours was close in Canada :lol:
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed May 10, 2006 9:42 am

elij21 wrote:
elij21 wrote:It's not going to happen, the NHL won't let two teams being so close. Hamilton and Toronto is like 30 hours on the highways. New York is an exeption because of the population.

I have a feeling that they wont have any trouble finding enough fans to fill both arenas. Call it a hunch, but isnt Canada kind of...I dunno....INSANE over hockey?
NIN

Postby Pitts on Wed May 10, 2006 9:52 am

I don't know, they couldn't fill it in Winnepeg and Quebec.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PuckWhacker on Wed May 10, 2006 10:42 am

Pitts wrote:I don't know, they couldn't fill it in Winnepeg and Quebec.

They had no troubles filling seats, it was the price of paying players in US dollars at a time when the Canadian dollar was almost 50 cents to the US Dollar. Considering the ticket revenue was in Canadian $$ it became nearly impossible to keep a team those cities. Calgary and Edmonton almost moved as well during that time until a provincial run lottery created a game to boost funds for the 2 teams. Also the NHL created a currency fund for Canadian teams struggling to pay the bills.
PuckWhacker

Postby jimjom on Wed May 10, 2006 11:45 am

The Copps Coliseum is on its way to becoming as outdated as Mellon Arena. I don't see this happening. This happens every time a team gets ready to be sold or files for bankruptcy, etc.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Wed May 10, 2006 12:15 pm

Hamilton would have to indemnify Buffalo and Toronto for territory infringement because they are within a specified distance (60 miles I think) of their markets. 50% ($25M of the $50M expansion fee) of the Ducks expansion fee went directly to the LA Kings for example.

This nonsense is ridiculous. Somebody publishes something on the internet with no consideration of the indemnification costs and antiquated arena, but somehow it is a plausible scenario.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FuturePens on Wed May 10, 2006 12:17 pm

I've been in Ontario, and to be honest with you I have not seen anything exiting there. It's a small area with nothing to do. A farm-team from Toronto should be good for them, but I don't think they have a big enough arena for a NHL team.
The NHL Commissioner would never allow that either, switching from Pittsburgh to there. Besides, hasn't everyone forgotton that the Pens do have loyal Fans here in Pittsburgh. I mean, we did lead the NHL in increase in attendence last season, despite the constant loosing. That should have some say in the decision...

My point; moving will never happen, not Ontario, not Kansas City, not anywhere, Pens are staying ! Period :!:
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 10, 2006 12:21 pm

FuturePens wrote:I've been in Ontario, and to be honest with you I have not seen anything exiting there. It's a small area with nothing to do. A farm-team from Toronto should be good for them, but I don't think they have a big enough arena for a NHL team.
The NHL Commissioner would never allow that either, switching from Pittsburgh to there. Besides, hasn't everyone forgotton that the Pens do have loyal Fans here in Pittsburgh. I mean, we did lead the NHL in increase in attendence last season, despite the constant loosing. That should have some say in the decision...

My point; moving will never happen, not Ontario, not Kansas City, not anywhere, Pens are staying ! Period :!:

I wish I had your optimism :)
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins