Anyone disappointed that Nordgren is gone?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Anyone disappointed that Nordgren is gone?

Postby Shinoix on Wed May 10, 2006 7:37 pm

He barely got any time with us, but when he was on the ice, I liked what I was seeing. He was fast, big, decent hockey sense in my mind. Of course you can't showcase much on the 4th line with little time. When I first saw Armstrong I wasn't completely impressed, yet when he was given a chance on the first line, my opinion quickly changed. It wasn't just the fact he was scoring with Sid, it was his physical play, good defensive work, and soft passing hands. His PK also improved when he started playing more. There are certain things that you can't showcase on the 4th line, and Armstrong was proof of that in my mind.

I think Nordgren could have been of those guys. Maybe not as good as Colby, but I think he had tons of potential.

Remember folks, he was playing on the second line in Carolina when he was traded. Why was he traded then? Well I think Recchi is a slight upgrade, so they weren't going to turn that down. There were many Carolina fans that were really upset that he was one that got traded. They didn't care about the other guys, but they really like Nordgren and was playing well on the second line apparently.

Did we let one get away? Do you think he had potential too?

I'm sure many people will have cocky remarks about how stupid I'm being, but it's just an opinion, and that's what these boards are for.
Shinoix

Postby Guido on Wed May 10, 2006 7:55 pm

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Why Nordgren??? buy out his Swiss contract, pay him as much as he wants.

Wake Up CP!!!1!!11!

Honestly, I could care less that he is gone.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed May 10, 2006 7:56 pm

:lol: I am still waiting for him to show up! :lol:

Just pile it onto the "it's Patrick's fault" folder. Whether or not it is actually his fault that guys like Rita and Nordgren suck in the NHL is irrelivant. Just blame CP, he is gone, he does'nt care, he can take it.

Rita worked hard out there by backchecking and stuff, he just sucked mentally. He has no clue how the NHL game is suppose to be played, he isn't NHL ready and at 24 who cares where we goes? Nordgren is like 26!

I would rather see Carcillo and Stone get schooled at the NHL level for a whole season then those underacheivers. Talbot will easily take one of those roster spots too. I can name half a dozen other players that wont jar my emotions if they go to another league. Maybe more.
NIN

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed May 10, 2006 8:29 pm

Nordgren needed to go. I was a little dissapointed when Rita left, I would have liked to have seen more of him in a more prominent role last year, but he was no big loss. I'll tell you who I am looking forward to though, is Andy Hilbert. He will be much more effective then Rita or Nordgren, and I think he might be the next Lang for us. He has some skills.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tazman5099 on Wed May 10, 2006 9:10 pm

Who?
Tazman5099
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Wed May 10, 2006 9:10 pm

Who is N - ooord- grin??? Is he a hockey player?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Wed May 10, 2006 9:11 pm

Not a huge loss, but a typical move by CP. Forget about all the Jagr, Kasper, Kovy crap (all the stuff he's traded away), isn't it amazing how everyone he seems to bring in just fades away.

Patrick cannot leave quick enough for me.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby borohcky9 on Wed May 10, 2006 9:51 pm

i do agree with you...he showed promise in the short time that he did actually play.

but, he was not given the opportunity to show if he could actually play on a top line...either way, i hope endicott is the next to follow.
borohcky9

Postby Jesse on Wed May 10, 2006 10:00 pm

I'm more interested in Kolanos.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Wed May 10, 2006 10:09 pm

borohcky9 wrote:i do agree with you...he showed promise in the short time that he did actually play.

but, he was not given the opportunity to show if he could actually play on a top line...either way, i hope endicott is the next to follow.

Who Rita? Rita had ample oppertunity on a line with Crosby. He did'nt know how to get open. When he did get open he could'nt catch the passes even though they were right on the money. When he caught the passes he missed the net.

If you mean Nordgren then I have to say that he did'nt earn a look on the top 2 lines. He was a poor player on the fourth line.

Meanwhile. Hilbert was tremendous on the fourth and thrid lines and then he was steady on the top line. He earned it.

Goodbye Nordgren. Goodbye Rita. Go join Kraft far, far, away. :D
NIN

Postby Mosby on Wed May 10, 2006 10:25 pm

Nordgren is a turd. He and the other kid (who's name I already forgot) were minor throw-ins in the Recchi trade. Carolina didn't think twice about losing those two bums. The value in the trade was Recchi for the 2nd rounder in 2007 (instead of the weaker 2006 draft). We took on Nordgren's salary to help offset some of Recchi's remaining salary and also free up a roster spot for the Canes on their playoff run. We needed to scratch Carolina’s back a little to get a better return for Recchi.

Nordgren's not big (5'11 185lbs), he's not a physical player. Not Endicott bad but nothing to write home about. Just because Carolina was experimenting with Nordgren on the second line after Cole went down does not make him a good player. The Canes were looking for the Robby Brown effect in Nordgren. Put him in with much better players and some turds will produce because of the slam dunks generated by the better players. The Robbie Brown effect doesn’t work in the tighter play of the NHL playoff, so the Canes knew they needed an upgrade.

The Robbie Brown effect is alive and well in Pittsburgh too. See Ouellet, Hilbert, Survoy and Christesen…without Sid serving up meatballs to them they can’t produce in the NHL. We are in serious need of an upgrade on the wings on our top two lines.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed May 10, 2006 10:31 pm

Mosby wrote:Nordgren is a turd. He and the other kid (who's name I already forgot) were minor throw-ins in the Recchi trade. Carolina didn't think twice about losing those two bums. The value in the trade was Recchi for the 2nd rounder in 2007 (instead of the weaker 2006 draft). We took on Nordgren's salary to help offset some of Recchi's remaining salary and also free up a roster spot for the Canes on their playoff run. We needed to scratch Carolina’s back a little to get a better return for Recchi.

Nordgren's not big (5'11 185lbs), he's not a physical player. Not Endicott bad but nothing to write home about. Just because Carolina was experimenting with Nordgren on the second line after Cole went down does not make him a good player. The Canes were looking for the Robby Brown effect in Nordgren. Put him in with much better players and some turds will produce because of the slam dunks generated by the better players. The Robbie Brown effect doesn’t work in the tighter play of the NHL playoff, so the Canes knew they needed an upgrade.

The Robbie Brown effect is alive and well in Pittsburgh too. See Ouellet, Hilbert, Survoy and Christesen…without Sid serving up meatballs to them they can’t produce in the NHL. We are in serious need of an upgrade on the wings on our top two lines.

I still dont see Malkin here either. The need an upgrade EVERYWHERE except maybe goal tending because I have alot of faith in FLeury and Caron has his moments of greatness too. The defense is unbeleivablly awful. Crosby is currently the only solid center on the team. They have slow old NHL forwards and the ones that can fly are afraid of the puck (excluding the Kid of course).

They wont finish above 20th next season no matter who they sign or who they trade for or draft.
NIN

Postby Stoosh on Wed May 10, 2006 10:33 pm

Let's face it, if Nordgren and Rita were really THAT good, why did they just sign contracts to play in Europe next season?
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shinoix on Wed May 10, 2006 10:44 pm

Well Nordgren was playing regularly on the second line in Carolina before he was traded. Not bad on a 1st place team.

Could you imagine Endicott playing 2nd line for us?
Shinoix

Postby NIN on Wed May 10, 2006 10:59 pm

Shinoix wrote:Well Nordgren was playing regularly on the second line in Carolina before he was traded. Not bad on a 1st place team.

Like it was pointed out by Mosby, Nordgren was just filling in for the recently injured Cole. That experiment did'nt work. AT ALL.

I could imagine that and I could imagine an earwig slowly devouring the inside of my skull. I can't decide which is less painful.
NIN

Postby Mosby on Wed May 10, 2006 11:00 pm

Well Nordgren was playing regularly on the second line in Carolina before he was traded. Not bad on a 1st place team.

Give it up. Nordgren's a turd. It’s obvious you’re too young to remember the Robbie Brown saga. So you're telling me Nordgren decided it was better for his career to go to an f'ing SWISS TEAM then stay in the NHL. If it was about money, why didn't he go to a good Euro league that pays well like the RSL, Sweden or even back to Finland.

I’ll 99% sure that both Nordgren and Rita were told by the Penguins that they would not be resigned.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Wed May 10, 2006 11:09 pm

Stoosh wrote:Let's face it, if Nordgren and Rita were really THAT good, why did they just sign contracts to play in Europe next season?

Bingo. Those two were nothing more than filler. I'd rather see guys there that at least have a chance to be productive in the future. Give me Stone, Talbot, or someone else like that.

Shinoix wrote:Well Nordgren was playing regularly on the second line in Carolina before he was traded. Not bad on a 1st place team.

Where dis you hear that? According to NHL.com, Nordgren played 58 games (43 in Carolina; 15 here) and totaled 410:44 of ice time in those games (average of 7:04). Going through the game logs at Yahoo, he averaged 5:58 here by my unofficial count and averaged 7:27 in Carolina. Not a big difference.

IMO, Nordgren was largely invisible. Most nights, I didn't even know he was playing because he rarely accomplsihed anything. Rita had a nice skill set, but he rarely accomplished anything either. He's another Josef Beranek. Neither will be missed.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Wed May 10, 2006 11:12 pm

Mosby wrote:

Give it up. Nordgren's a turd. It’s obvious you’re too young to remember the Robbie Brown saga. So you're telling me Nordgren decided it was better for his career to go to an f'ing SWISS TEAM then stay in the NHL. If it was about money, why didn't he go to a good Euro league that pays well like the RSL, Sweden or even back to Finland.

I’ll 99% sure that both Nordgren and Rita were told by the Penguins that they would not be resigned.

Exactly. Therrian isn't handing out roster spots like Edzo and CP did. Fata was given a one-way deal based on a 16 goal season and a -35. He received top line mintues and that was all he could do and they gaurenteed him a roster spot with a one-way deal in the summer.

Rita pretty much is a Rico Fata type. I don't think Rita would make the team out of training camp and I think he knew that. There are some young guys that will make the team IF they eran it and from what I have seen they definately wnat an NHL job more than Rita and Nordgren.
NIN

Postby DelPen on Wed May 10, 2006 11:25 pm

The only downside to Nordgren or Rita signing to play in Europe is that neither can now be used to move up to #1 or make our 2nd rounder a late 1st rounder.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Wed May 10, 2006 11:29 pm

DelPen wrote:The only downside to Nordgren or Rita signing to play in Europe is that neither can now be used to move up to #1 or make our 2nd rounder a late 1st rounder.

They are all filler and no killer.
NIN

Postby André on Thu May 11, 2006 3:35 am

Mosby wrote:

Nordgren is Swedish =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bse on Thu May 11, 2006 5:34 am

Nordgen probably had least upside of any player in the organisation
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Thu May 11, 2006 7:56 am

bse wrote:Nordgen probably had least upside of any player in the organisation

Definetely not. He's had two seasons in which he was one of the very best players in the Swedish Elite League. Geesh, wtf is he supposed to do playing 5 mins on the pens 4th line?
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Thu May 11, 2006 8:25 am

Deas wrote:

Definetely not. He's had two seasons in which he was one of the very best players in the Swedish Elite League. Geesh, wtf is he supposed to do playing 5 mins on the pens 4th line?

Not be physically dominated by the other teams 5th and 6th defenseman. He was one of the weakest players I've seen in the NHL in the past 15 years. There's a reason he didn't get a shot with the Pens or a real shot with the Canes.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Don't dis Endo

Postby rasbatch on Thu May 11, 2006 8:59 am

pfim wrote:
Deas wrote:

Not be physically dominated by the other teams 5th and 6th defenseman. He was one of the weakest players I've seen in the NHL in the past 15 years. There's a reason he didn't get a shot with the Pens or a real shot with the Canes.

he's the weakest player in the NHL, end of story!
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins