How does Therrien dare to start Caron against Ottawa?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How does Therrien dare to start Caron against Ottawa?

Postby ivand87 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:23 pm

I realize that starting him against the Rangers on Wednesday night could have been tragic too, but goddamnit, there are thousands of Penguins fans and Pittsburgh citizens paying a good buck to watch this crap!?

7 goals on 25 shots and an unbelievable 3 shorthanded goals against! Unreal!

I didn't watch this game (thankfully), but this is just ridiculous and extremely embarrassing...
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ironhorse on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:25 pm

If you did not watch then why are you complaining? Fleury can not play them all. You need to use your backup once. Everyone complains about everything.
Ironhorse
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Abe Frohman on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:27 pm

Does it really matter?

Perhaps, realizing that:

1) Ottawa was coming off 2 losses.

2) Ottawa is a FAR-BETTER team.

Therrien predicted that the Pens would likely get shelled...and preferred Caron to be 'thrown to the wolves' instead of MAF...
Abe Frohman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby relantel on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:28 pm

The Pens could have had Patrick Roy in net and it still would have not made much of a difference.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:21 am

Maybe they should play Fleury every minute of every game. So what if he burns out before the end of the season.

I also agree with Ironhorse; if you didn't buy a ticket, your arguement rings hollow. I did buy tickets and I was there and I for one, did not feel slighted because Fleury wasn't thrown to the wolves again.

Caron stunk, but so did everyone else after the Pens got up 2-0. He didn't give up 7 goals on his own.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: How does Therrien dare to start Caron against Ottawa?

Postby BJL on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:33 am

ivand87 wrote:7 goals on 25 shots and an unbelievable 3 shorthanded goals against! Unreal!

I didn't watch this game (thankfully), but this is just ridiculous and extremely embarrassing...

Yeah you obviously didn't watch it because if you had you wouldn't be on here screaming about the goalie, that's for sure.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ivand87 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:23 am

OK, fine, but my point was that it would have made more sense to play the better goalie against the better team. That was all.

And given the fact that the Pens had 3 days off after Saturday's game, I think Fleury could have played back to back, especially considering his age and since he's been pretty healthy.

Nice to see you guys jump all over me on my first post in the new board. :D :cry:
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:57 am

ivand87 wrote:OK, fine, but my point was that it would have made more sense to play the better goalie against the better team. That was all.

And given the fact that the Pens had 3 days off after Saturday's game, I think Fleury could have played back to back, especially considering his age and since he's been pretty healthy.

Nice to see you guys jump all over me on my first post in the new board. :D :cry:

Fleury needed a night off. It wouldn't of mattered with him in net tonight anyways. Ottawa is just the far better team.

Caron didn't play terrible, the 3 SH goals were NOT his fault, it's was the horrid PP that is to blame.

Fleury for once got a rest, no need to have him play back to back.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BJL on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:53 pm

I was waiting to see who came out of the runway first for warmups... if Fleury came out it meant that Therrien thought they had a chance of winning the game. If Caron came out then Therrien was basically conceding the game and it was just a matter of how badly we would lose. That's not really a slight against Caron - it's just that if you don't play your BEST goalie against a team like that you're not really going to have much of a chance.

Having said that, if Fleury had played we might have lost 6-2 or 5-2 instead of 7-2, but this way at least he got a night off.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BJL on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:55 pm

Also, here's a thought... WHY w/ the lead do we take that gamble every time and try to keep the puck in on the PP, especially against a great SH team like Ottawa? It's just stupid.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins