"New" Thirds

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:53 am

Rocky133213 wrote:Wow, this really got off topic from discussing the Pen's blue jerseys....

Indeed it has.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:53 am

The pirates cant be defended imo. They have done almost everything wrong in the last 15 years. The main problem with the pirates is for most of those 15 years they never had a plan or vision. Maybe it will cahnge with the new group now.

They are didnt try to win a lot of the time carrying more about a deep pocket book than a wining team that's why I don't respect them.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:56 am

Biff83 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Biff83 wrote:The pens also have one of the most wealthiest owners in sports, Ron Burkle, you think he wouldnt stroke some checks if he had to? He's worth about 3-4 billion dollars.

He obviously didn't from 2001-2002 until after the lockout.

I'm just saying if there wasnt a cap, he would be able to run the team. Look the pirates are a mess, and until there is a comittment to winning from the Nuttings, which they havent shown any as far as I'm concerned this trainwreck will continue. If you want to trust them thats your choice, I'm tired of being dissapointed year after year, and fed crap by the pirates and the media in town that this might be the year! I'll believe it when I see it.

Burkle wasn't going to dump a ton of money into this team if there wasn't a cap. Heck, the team wouldn't be in Pgh if there wasn't a cap because even Lemieux himself said they'd make a new arena agreement contigent on if there was a cap or not. Being wealthy doesn't mean they will spend the money, and they showed that prior to the cap.

Anyway, I do agree what you said about the Buccos. Management has been horrible, but for some stupid reason, I don't even believe they will be good, but I still watch.

I'm just saying the Pens had some outside help with their turnaround. That is all.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:59 am

Biff83 wrote:
doublem wrote:The pirates cant be defended imo. They have done almost everything wrong in the last 15 years. The main problem with the pirates is for most of those 15 years they never had a plan or vision. Maybe it will cahnge with the new group now.

They are didnt try to win a lot of the time carrying more about a deep pocket book than a wining team that's why I don't respect them.

There should be a junior major league's for teams like the pirates who dont pony up $$ like the yankees and the big league organizations do.

There are only a small handful of teams that can pony up money like the Yanks and Red Sox.

But the Buccos have no excuse not to pony up the bucks the Indians, Brewers, Cardinals, etc do. They are in similar markets.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:13 pm

Biff83 wrote:
tombarrassorules wrote:one of my goals in life, if i ever got some time and money, maybe when i retire, is to go back and interview cam bonifay, littlefield, creech, mcclatchey, the nuttings, and some players, and find out what really went on in the whole debacle, and write a book about it. i mean, when you look past just the basic losing, the last 15 years are an absolute mystery. we're not just talking about a little slump or a skid, or one or two bad trades that didnt work out, we're talking about 15 years of absolute futility. 15 years ago i was in 1st grade. we has like mac II's in one of our classrooms. nobody in my town knew what the internet was. the pens were still wearing the diagonal jerseys and setting records.

the pirates dont even need to pony up the money. just go read moneyball. billy beane can get it done.

to bring this all back around, i hope the pens dont decide to participate in the "Redd Up Pittsburgh" program and get red sweaters like the buccos red vests (that they seem to have abandoned).

Those pirates red jerseys are the ugliest uniform in all of sports.

Maybe not the ugliest (my vote is the Washington Wizards shiny gold tops and black pants), but yes, they are horrid.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocky133213 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Can anyone tell me how this is at all related to the pens and the baby blue jerseys? Perhaps this thread should be moved to either NPR or NHR???????
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CKA24 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:58 am

tombarrassorules wrote:i understand that argument, but even so, aside from signing bonuses and contracts, you have to imagine that in 15 years, someone in that organization could have chosen a guy who could be a legitimate everyday ballplayer and somehow keep him in the organization. the bonuses in 1993 werent what the were in 2003 and arenrt even close to what they are in 2008.

bottom line, regardless of caps and salaries, its really unbelievable. they dont even have a guy who went on to be anything really other than aramis ramirez.

Jason Schmidt, Brian Giles, Oliver Perez (arguably), Jon Lieber, Ramierez, Ricardo Rincon (a very good bullpen guy in the AL after he left).

Truly it is a disappointment, but most of their high pitching picks have been injured (sure I know, high pitch count this... college innings that).

The new group in there has a plan, and is executing it quite well. May it take a few more years to have a winner? Unfortunately yes. Has Tampa Bay shown that you can turn it around quickly? Absolutely. I feel that there are pieces in place that can help us win, but management may have to make tough decisions to get there (cya Nady, Marte, Bay(?), Wilson (?)).
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby beerman on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:55 am

Biff83 wrote:
doublem wrote:The pirates cant be defended imo. They have done almost everything wrong in the last 15 years. The main problem with the pirates is for most of those 15 years they never had a plan or vision. Maybe it will cahnge with the new group now.

There should be a junior major league's for teams like the pirates who dont pony up $$ like the yankees and the big league organizations do.

There already is, its called the National League, they just accidentally put a few higher spending teams Cubs, Mets, Cards and Dodgers (who suck anyway and deserve the NL) in.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:10 am

CKA24 wrote:Jason Schmidt, Brian Giles, Oliver Perez (arguably), Jon Lieber, Ramierez, Ricardo Rincon (a very good bullpen guy in the AL after he left).

Truly it is a disappointment, but most of their high pitching picks have been injured (sure I know, high pitch count this... college innings that).

Giles and Perez were picked up via trade. Lieber was drafted by KC.

Schmidt's numbers weren't exactly anything to write home about while he was a Buc. Rincon was decent .
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CKA24 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:37 am

JS© wrote:
CKA24 wrote:Jason Schmidt, Brian Giles, Oliver Perez (arguably), Jon Lieber, Ramierez, Ricardo Rincon (a very good bullpen guy in the AL after he left).

Schmidt's numbers weren't exactly anything to write home about while he was a Buc. Rincon was decent .

My bad... I was talking about people who left Pittsburgh and did something...

True... they were drafted by other teams... and Schmidt sucked until he was with the Giants...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:39 am

1 of 3 things must be happening right now...

1.) We're all REALLY bored...

2.) We want the Pens season to start NOW!

3.) A sick, twisted, dangerous mixture of 1 and 2.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:54 am

Back on topic!

Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 am

Three Stars wrote:Back on topic!

BOOOOO! Viva Black and gold!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beerman on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:58 am

Biff83 wrote:
beerman wrote:
Biff83 wrote:

There already is, its called the National League, they just accidentally put a few higher spending teams Cubs, Mets, Cards and Dodgers (who suck anyway and deserve the NL) in.

Yeah but the Cards won the world series in 2006. So the National league arguement is invalid, teams like the pirates are the problem.

The Cards barely finished over .500 and just got hot at the right time, all Detroit's pitchers getting Chuck Knoblauch disease and not being able to throw to any base didn't hurt their cause either. I'm not saying teams in the NL can't compete but the level of competition isn't up to par with the AL. The Pirates are lucky to be in the NL, if they were in the AL I can't see them being any where close to the 44-54 record they're currently sporting.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:03 am

CKA24 wrote:
JS© wrote:

My bad... I was talking about people who left Pittsburgh and did something...

True... they were drafted by other teams... and Schmidt sucked until he was with the Giants...

Who knows, I could be wrong too. I will admit to not reading the entire story.

I was going through baseball-reference.com, baseball's equivalent to hockeydb, and there's quite a few players that I didn't know that we drafted.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PIT/draft.shtml

Buccos drafted John Kruk, yes that John Kruk, in the 3rd round of the '81 draft.
I nearly forgot about the Bucs drafting Moises Alou until that joke Fedko mentioned him during one of thepensblog's jobbings.

Jay Buhner, former second round pick in '84, was eventually traded along with a few cokeheads to NY for Steve Kemp, Tim Foli and cash.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Three Stars on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:04 am

newarenanow wrote:BOOOOO! Viva Black and gold!

Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:18 am

Three Stars wrote:
newarenanow wrote:BOOOOO! Viva Black and gold!

YES! BLACK AND GOLD BABY!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Three Stars on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:55 am

http://icethetics.blogspot.com/2008/07/ ... oming.html

Pittsburgh Penguins
The team has confirmed they submitted a design similar to what they wore at the Winter Classic for NHL approval as their new third. The sky blue sweater will probably feature a more contemporary logo over the vintage one seen on the New Year's Day game. I imagine this will be one of the better ones.

Hmmm. A more contemporary logo?
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:17 am

Three Stars wrote:http://icethetics.blogspot.com/2008/07/third-jerseys-whats-coming.html

Pittsburgh Penguins
The team has confirmed they submitted a design similar to what they wore at the Winter Classic for NHL approval as their new third. The sky blue sweater will probably feature a more contemporary logo over the vintage one seen on the New Year's Day game. I imagine this will be one of the better ones.

Maybe going for the chinstrap version:
:P he was part of my good ju-ju play-off threads.
smile while they kill you.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:34 pm

penny lane wrote:
Three Stars wrote:http://icethetics.blogspot.com/2008/07/third-jerseys-whats-coming.html

Pittsburgh Penguins

Maybe going for the chinstrap version:
:P he was part of my good ju-ju play-off threads.
smile while they kill you.

Sid was kinda sporting a chinstrap beard during the playoffs, although it was probably all the hair he could grow there.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:47 am

Pittsburgh Penguins

future pigeon returns!
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:55 pm

canaan wrote:

Pittsburgh Penguins

future pigeon returns!

Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Image

I was pumped when they revealed Vader, but then when he said that line, I got embarrassed and almost cried. That is not Vader.

Lucas found a way to screw up this prequel.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:02 pm

newarenanow wrote:

I was pumped when they revealed Vader, but then when he said that line, I got embarrassed and almost cried. That is not Vader.

I didn't even remember him yelling that. Then again, I only saw it once, and that was quite a while ago.

and I saw it at night so I may have not been human at the time
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:04 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

I didn't even remember him yelling that. Then again, I only saw it once, and that was quite a while ago.

and I saw it at night so I may have not been human at the time

WEREWOLF!!!!!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins