"New" Thirds

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Free Candy on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:50 am

I read somewhere that every season ticket holder for the Kings will recieve the thrid jersey. WOW...they must be desperate.
Free Candy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nocera on Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:19 am

KCpens don't sound right wrote:I read somewhere that every season ticket holder for the Kings will recieve the thrid jersey. WOW...they must be desperate.

Giving away 7 jerseys is not desperate, it's good business.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:59 am

Biff83 wrote:
nocera wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
nocera wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Biff83 wrote: The black n gold thing will never change, Pittsburgh is a city that does not embrace change very well, so the black n gold will never go away, there is no harm in having those baby blues as 3rds though.

Why can't we have something unique?

We do. Name another city where every major sports team share the same colors.

That's what I'm saying. Can we have all of our teams, and our city colors be the same, something that is unique to every other city in the nation, and not have it be because "Pgh doesn't like change".

Pgh changed from a steel town to a top tier medical research city. I think that is a huge change.

Ah. My apologies. I don't buy the "Pittsburgh doesn't like change" stuff. There are two, soon to be three new sports facilities and nobody was/is crying about Three Rivers/Mellon being lost.

I wouldnt say nobody, I know people who are so po'd about the new stadiums for the pirates and the steelers that they wont even support the team anymore. There was a vote in pittsburgh back in 1997 that asked the voters if they would support a tax to build new stadiums for the pirates and steelers and the vote was an overwhelming No. Needless to say the great politicians of the area forced the tax on the people anyways and this has alot of the population upset. I supported the stadiums myself I'm just saying that there are people that didnt want 3 rivers destroyed.

Go to any city, and when they have a voter referandum to use tax money to build a sports stadium, the majority of the time it is voted down. And sure, not everyone is going to be happy, but I think a ton of people love the new stadiums and support it.

I also love it when our sports teams do bad, the bandwagon empties. A lot of people say "oh, typical yinzer fan". Look around the country, it happens in every city.

I love how people peg this stuff as Pgh only.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WHITEY1 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:13 am

WHy would the NHL let the Pens use the same winter classic jersey's again when they can make something new and boost sales by everyone re-buying the "new " 3rd jersey?

I say go with a black and yellow jersey primarily yellow with the vertical Pittsburgh in Black lettering.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:24 am

WHITEY1 wrote:WHy would the NHL let the Pens use the same winter classic jersey's again when they can make something new and boost sales by everyone re-buying the "new " 3rd jersey?

I say go with a black and yellow jersey primarily yellow with the vertical Pittsburgh in Black lettering.

I like that idea, except instead of the lettering, use the angry skating Penguin that was used at WBS.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CKA24 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:16 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
nocera wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Biff83 wrote: The black n gold thing will never change, Pittsburgh is a city that does not embrace change very well, so the black n gold will never go away, there is no harm in having those baby blues as 3rds though.

Green Bay!

Salt Lake City??

Oklahoma City???
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:20 pm

CKA24 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
nocera wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Green Bay!

Salt Lake City??

Oklahoma City???

Wheeling?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CKA24 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:24 pm

On the subject of the region changing:

Three of the largest industries of the region are medicine (both technology and health care), high technology (see CMU and Google's new office), and finance (it's true that Pittsburgh's financial district was second only to wall street... could it bounce back to stardom?).

As for medicine, our region is widely regarded as the next 'medical hub' of the United States (see NY/NJ, Minneapolis, Various places in Cali). Pittsburgh has a very successful venture capitalist organization to help new medical devices and products get to the market (Pittsburgh Life Sciences Greenhouse).

Pittsburgh just built it's first all condo building on the triangle since 1964.

The old industrial buildings are becoming the nicest lofts/apartments/condos in the city (Heinz Lofts, Glassworks, Cork Factory).

The new Hilton is going in servicing the Triangle along the Mon.

South Side works, revitalized Station Square, the Waterfront, revitalized Hill District and the Arena (!!!!!), North Side revitalization, the 'subway' station on the North Side (I truly hope they build a real subway to service the entire region... in a City of suburbs we need that!)... the list goes on...

The city is changing, and is embarking on a new era... I see good things in the future of this City and I'm proud to say I'm staying!

Baby blues all the way!!!!

Edit -- to clarify... I meant baby blue for third jerseys. The region is changing but I would NEVER want the city to break up the Black and Gold!
Last edited by CKA24 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:28 pm

For what it's worth, Icethetics has a supposed list of the colors of the upcoming third jerseys for next year.

http://icethetics.blogspot.com/2008/07/ ... olors.html

Philadelphia has "special" orange. Kind of like "special" olympics.

And apparently black is the new black. 5 of the teams think so.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:04 pm

newarenanow wrote:The Steelers sucked hard until the 70s.

The Steelers joined the NFL in 1933. Prior to the 1972 season, they had played a grand total of one (1) playoff game... which they lost.

tombarrassorules wrote:funny thing is i liked the steelers when i was younger and up until they won the superbowl and i was on board for that ride, but almost immediately after, say by the middle of the next season, i developed a burning hatred for the team. it probably had something to do with the fact that id just toughed out the lean years of the pens and they were coming around again and the media had zippo coverage of them and the steelers just finished an 8-8 season and were somehow a front page story everyday. its that oversaturation that canadians complain about with sidney crosby. i hate seeing an old lady in june, walking down the street with a rod woodson jersey on. it just burns me up. and thus i hate the rooneys. i was gonna finish this up with something about the rooneys and terrorists, but that couldnt be true, they're too busy worrying about how traffic will be affected on eight sundays of the year. eight. eight sundays.

I know exactly how you feel.

When I was a kid, I used to love Tony Orlando and Dawn. But now, I hate soup.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cthulhuchrist on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:55 pm

tombarrassorules wrote:the steelers are garbage and the NFL is boring. nobody cares what ben rothelisburger ate for dinner last night. i really cant figure out why people love this gigantic freaking idiot so much. ive never seen someone with less personality. im not one of those people that is like, i hate the steelers, GO COWBOYS or patriots or whoever the soup du jour is. i just am completely bored by the NFL and therefore, have an added ounce of hatred for a team i hate to begin with.

funny thing is i liked the steelers when i was younger and up until they won the superbowl and i was on board for that ride, but almost immediately after, say by the middle of the next season, i developed a burning hatred for the team. it probably had something to do with the fact that id just toughed out the lean years of the pens and they were coming around again and the media had zippo coverage of them and the steelers just finished an 8-8 season and were somehow a front page story everyday. its that oversaturation that canadians complain about with sidney crosby. i hate seeing an old lady in june, walking down the street with a rod woodson jersey on. it just burns me up. and thus i hate the rooneys. i was gonna finish this up with something about the rooneys and terrorists, but that couldnt be true, they're too busy worrying about how traffic will be affected on eight sundays of the year. eight. eight sundays.

Nothing drove me more insane than a couple years ago when i was at a pens game walking by people in steelers jerseys and then when we started to lose, hearing here we go steelers chants. God i hated that
cthulhuchrist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:51 pm

cthulhuchrist wrote:
tombarrassorules wrote:the steelers are garbage and the NFL is boring. nobody cares what ben rothelisburger ate for dinner last night. i really cant figure out why people love this gigantic freaking idiot so much. ive never seen someone with less personality. im not one of those people that is like, i hate the steelers, GO COWBOYS or patriots or whoever the soup du jour is. i just am completely bored by the NFL and therefore, have an added ounce of hatred for a team i hate to begin with.

funny thing is i liked the steelers when i was younger and up until they won the superbowl and i was on board for that ride, but almost immediately after, say by the middle of the next season, i developed a burning hatred for the team. it probably had something to do with the fact that id just toughed out the lean years of the pens and they were coming around again and the media had zippo coverage of them and the steelers just finished an 8-8 season and were somehow a front page story everyday. its that oversaturation that canadians complain about with sidney crosby. i hate seeing an old lady in june, walking down the street with a rod woodson jersey on. it just burns me up. and thus i hate the rooneys. i was gonna finish this up with something about the rooneys and terrorists, but that couldnt be true, they're too busy worrying about how traffic will be affected on eight sundays of the year. eight. eight sundays.

Nothing drove me more insane than a couple years ago when i was at a pens game walking by people in steelers jerseys and then when we started to lose, hearing here we go steelers chants. God i hated that

Did you hate it at Pirate games during the playoffs people wearing Pens gear and chanting Let's Go Pens, or did you think that was awesome?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 pm

newarenanow wrote:
cthulhuchrist wrote:

Did you hate it at Pirate games during the playoffs people wearing Pens gear and chanting Let's Go Pens, or did you think that was awesome?

I know I hated it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CKA24 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:05 am

newarenanow wrote:Did you hate it at Pirate games during the playoffs people wearing Pens gear and chanting Let's Go Pens, or did you think that was awesome?

With a clean conscience I can say that I hated it. I was pumped to know the city was excited, but root for the team that you're present to support. I hate any cheer or wearing any article of clothing not pertaining to the team playing at that venue.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ossa on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:12 am

New:

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/gamemaster/index.htm

Some teams are sooo stupid that they leak their new jerseys on their team website. :lol:

Old:

Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:53 am

tombarrassorules wrote:hmm, check this out on the topic of those toronto sweaters. they lifted it from a concept design made by a fan about a year ago and posted on that site.

http://nhllogos.blogspot.com/2007/08/mailbag-retailers-talk-leafs.html

i cant see the point of getting a third jersey where the base color is the color of a jersey that you all ready have. isnt that the point of the third? to get creative and ad some flavor to the whole thing?

I don't know what the point of the third jersey is. Thats why I hate the idea of a third jersey.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:31 am

tombarrassorules wrote:people still go to pirates games?

For losing for 15 straight seasons, going on 16, they draw pretty well IMO. The Pens were drawing about the same percentage capacity when they were losing, and that was only after 4 losing seasons.

I just don't understand why people talk down and dislike the city's other sports teams, and ignore the Penguins problems because they are at a high right now.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:42 am

newarenanow wrote:

For losing for 15 straight seasons, going on 16, they draw pretty well IMO. The Pens were drawing about the same percentage capacity when they were losing, and that was only after 4 losing seasons.

I just don't understand why people talk down and dislike the city's other sports teams, and ignore the Penguins problems because they are at a high right now.

The penguins had problems but they solved them for the most part. The pirates have problems and well dont. Explain this to me how can you be bad for 15 years in a row and draft pitching almost every year and still have one of the worst pitching staff in the league? The pirates have single handily killed hardcore fans in this city.

I dont really follow other sports that much, I like the game of baseball but not really the MLB. Dont like football, basketball and dont like individual sports and I hate ESPN. Thats why I have no loyalty to the other teams in Pittsburgh.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:51 am

doublem wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

The penguins had problems but they solved them for the most part. The pirates have problems and well dont. Explain this to me how can you be bad for 15 years in a row and draft pitching almost every year and still have one of the worst pitching staff in the league? The pirates have single handily killed hardcore fans in this city.

I dont really follow other sports that much, I like the game of baseball but not really the MLB. Dont like football, basketball and dont like individual sports and I hate ESPN. Thats why I have no loyalty to the other teams in Pittsburgh.

I agree, the Penguins have solved a lot of their problems. They were also greatly aided by winning the Crosby lottery, and getting a salary cap to help control costs, which accelrated their rise by 3-4 years IMO.

As for the Buccos, I'm hopeful that their new management will start to change the franchise. They drafted the best player available this year, something they have never done, and have stuck to their demands to what they want before they trade Nady, Bay, etc.

But my whole point is this, for as bad as the Pirates have been, they still draw half decent. And I know many more fans that enjoy watching them on tv. This just shows that baseball is not dead in the city, and fans are itching for a winner.

I just don't know how Pens fans can bash a losing team, saying they don't have a following, when in reality, I don't know one person outside of a small group of diehards that followed the Pens during their losing years.

I think the Pens fanbase is growing, as more young people seem to enjoy hockey better than baseball, mainly due to the LEmiuex years, and now the Crosby years, but there is still a decent population of Bucco fans that are waiting for a winner.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:59 am

newarenanow wrote:
doublem wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

I agree, the Penguins have solved a lot of their problems. They were also greatly aided by winning the Crosby lottery, and getting a salary cap to help control costs, which accelrated their rise by 3-4 years IMO.

As for the Buccos, I'm hopeful that their new management will start to change the franchise. They drafted the best player available this year, something they have never done, and have stuck to their demands to what they want before they trade Nady, Bay, etc.

But my whole point is this, for as bad as the Pirates have been, they still draw half decent. And I know many more fans that enjoy watching them on tv. This just shows that baseball is not dead in the city, and fans are itching for a winner.

I just don't know how Pens fans can bash a losing team, saying they don't have a following, when in reality, I don't know one person outside of a small group of diehards that followed the Pens during their losing years.

I think the Pens fanbase is growing, as more young people seem to enjoy hockey better than baseball, mainly due to the LEmiuex years, and now the Crosby years, but there is still a decent population of Bucco fans that are waiting for a winner.

Baseball will always have a higher number of fans just because that's what everyone was raised on as a kid for the most part. Hockey is a cult sport, baseball will always appeal to a higher number of people in Pittsburgh. I think back in the early 90s it was close between the two teams in popularity when they were both good. How many diehard pirates fans are there from age 12-30, I cant think that many.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:23 am

doublem wrote:Baseball will always have a higher number of fans just because that's what everyone was raised on as a kid for the most part. Hockey is a cult sport, baseball will always appeal to a higher number of people in Pittsburgh. I think back in the early 90s it was close between the two teams in popularity when they were both good. How many diehard pirates fans are there from age 12-30, I cant think that many.

I definitely agree that most people under the age of 35 aren't as diehard about baseball as maybe people over 40, just because we have experienced only 3-4 winning seasons during that span. And for the most part, the Pens have been successful over the last 20 years, so younger people will be more connected with the Pens.

But, if the Pirates would ever win again, ( I dont see it happening for a few years), I think this town would explode.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:36 am

tombarrassorules wrote:the thing about the pirates as compared to the pens is this; CP and the gang came out and said, look, we're gonna have some lean years, but we'll make it up to you. and they did. average turn around for a professional sports team is about 5-7 years to go from bottom of the barrel to some sort of contender or at least a playoff team.

the pirates have picked in the top ten in the draft for 15 years and have absolutely nothing to show for it. number one overall...OVERALL...pick bryan bullington got picked up off of waivers by the indians after 3 career starts. what if thats what fleury or crosby only played 3 career games?

thats the difference. they have no arms, no bats, no fielders, no nothing to show for 15 years of primo draft position. they're banking on andrew mccutcheon on being their sid, gino, and marc andre fleury. thats how bad it is. hes like a slightly above average center fielder. thats what boggles my mind.

ed creech = dont know how that guy ever had a job in baseball

Two main differences.

1) The Pens now work with a cap, and have limits on what they have to spend on players and picks. The Pirates don't. If that cap didn't come into existence, we wouldn't even have a team.

2) Hockey draft picks have a greater chance of making an immediate impact. Baseball doesn't. How many top draft picks, for any team, do you hear making an immediate impact. None. You will hear of the top guys 3-4 years down the road, and the majority are longer.

But I do agree, Pirates management, int he past, has made very, very iffy decisions, looking at affordablility as the #1 concern instead of the impact a player can have.

This years draft showed they are going with a different approach.

But over, yes, Pirates management has been crappy. But it's not like the Pens magically turned everything around, they had a lot of outside forces helping them. Would it have eventually turned around, I believe so. But not this quick.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:49 am

Biff83 wrote:The pens also have one of the most wealthiest owners in sports, Ron Burkle, you think he wouldnt stroke some checks if he had to? He's worth about 3-4 billion dollars.

He obviously didn't from 2001-2002 until after the lockout.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:50 am

tombarrassorules wrote:i understand that argument, but even so, aside from signing bonuses and contracts, you have to imagine that in 15 years, someone in that organization could have chosen a guy who could be a legitimate everyday ballplayer and somehow keep him in the organization. the bonuses in 1993 werent what the were in 2003 and arenrt even close to what they are in 2008.

bottom line, regardless of caps and salaries, its really unbelievable. they dont even have a guy who went on to be anything really other than aramis ramirez.

I agree.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocky133213 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:52 am

Wow, this really got off topic from discussing the Pen's blue jerseys....
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins