Bozo Columnist says if you boo Hossa, you're a knucklehead

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby penny lane on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:18 am

therock48880 wrote:
penny lane wrote:When the penguins win their stanley cup I promise, here & now,
not to go sniffing out the opponent's home fans and demean them
or try to look brilliant while attempting to belittle them.


continue to make yourselves at home, we don't bite.


I haven't demeaned the Pens at all. I came here to try to get the reasoning behind why so many left. Turns out, other than Hossa, it was purely financial.

For what it's worth, I've been a visitor to this site and numerous other sites. (calgarypuck.com is the worst, imo) I find it interesting to read the perspectives of other teams' fans. I think a few of you think I came here to start trouble and that's not the case at all. I only decided to post this time to get clarification about the players leaving. Sorry to offend anyone, if I've done that.


mass exodus before looking at what really happen could be misinterpreted as a match to a fire, I'm sure you understand.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,622
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Postby JS© on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:47 am

therock48880 wrote:
penny lane wrote:When the penguins win their stanley cup I promise, here & now,
not to go sniffing out the opponent's home fans and demean them
or try to look brilliant while attempting to belittle them.


continue to make yourselves at home, we don't bite.


I haven't demeaned the Pens at all. I came here to try to get the reasoning behind why so many left. Turns out, other than Hossa, it was purely financial.

For what it's worth, I've been a visitor to this site and numerous other sites. (calgarypuck.com is the worst, imo) I find it interesting to read the perspectives of other teams' fans. I think a few of you think I came here to start trouble and that's not the case at all. I only decided to post this time to get clarification about the players leaving. Sorry to offend anyone, if I've done that.


Your being a Wings fan is offensive enough. :wink:

Since you said you visit a bunch of other sites, could you PM me a list of them? Call me lazy, but I've been meaning to do the same but never got deep enough into looking for legit boards.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,552
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Postby therock48880 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:33 am

penny lane wrote:
therock48880 wrote:
penny lane wrote:When the penguins win their stanley cup I promise, here & now,
not to go sniffing out the opponent's home fans and demean them
or try to look brilliant while attempting to belittle them.


continue to make yourselves at home, we don't bite.


I haven't demeaned the Pens at all. I came here to try to get the reasoning behind why so many left. Turns out, other than Hossa, it was purely financial.

For what it's worth, I've been a visitor to this site and numerous other sites. (calgarypuck.com is the worst, imo) I find it interesting to read the perspectives of other teams' fans. I think a few of you think I came here to start trouble and that's not the case at all. I only decided to post this time to get clarification about the players leaving. Sorry to offend anyone, if I've done that.


mass exodus before looking at what really happen could be misinterpreted as a match to a fire, I'm sure you understand.


When 1/3 of a team's roster leaves within a two day time period, I think the term "mass exodus" seems appropriate. That's a huge turnover. The reasons for them leaving have been explained to me, which was my goal of coming here.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:17 am

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:55 am

Someone posting on Pensblog spelled HOSSA backwards... I'd do the same here but this is a family board. :lol:

Biff83 wrote:hopefully Satan can do well enough we shall see.


I'm really hoping it works out for him as well, not just for the team, but for Satan himself. The way he talked about how he wanted to play for Pittsburgh while watching them in the playoffs makes him a player really after my heart!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,440
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Postby Pitts on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:04 pm

I must be a knucklehead then because for the first time ever I really want to boo a player. Hossa screwed us where the sun don't shine.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,681
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby Pitts on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:07 pm

Biff83 wrote:Again losing a guy like Hossa is very hard to deal with hopefully Satan can do well enough we shall see.

See, this is the thing though - he doesn't have to play as well as Hossa did. Satan just has to score goals. it's as simple as that. Hossa's defensive game was a pleasant surprise, but he wasn't brought in for that. He was brought in to score goals. Satan is a goal scorer and I expect him to do well with Crosby.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,681
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby penny lane on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:30 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:Someone posting on Pensblog spelled HOSSA backwards... I'd do the same here but this is a family board. :lol:

Biff83 wrote:hopefully Satan can do well enough we shall see.


I'm really hoping it works out for him as well, not just for the team, but for Satan himself. The way he talked about how he wanted to play for Pittsburgh while watching them in the playoffs makes him a player really after my heart!


Here's the absolute bonus, Sid going into his 4th year
and Evgeni, his third.
I expect them to be even more off the charts than what we've seen.
Both growing and more mature hockey minds.
Both, don't mind the hard when it comes to winning games.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,622
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Postby penscup on Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:34 pm

therock48880 wrote:I never once read on lgw that Therrian was the problem. If you read my posts, I said I read it on LETSGOPENS.COM I came here simply for clarification, which I got and then wished the Pens luck next year. Yet, you continue to get mad and attack me.


If you ARE here on a purely fact seeking mission please be sure to relay the information you've learned back to your fellow Detroit fans there because from the visits I've made to LGW.com the b.s. about anything Pittsburgh there is more than just a little misinformed and flies fast and furious. Gracious winners of the Cup the majority of you are not. From your suggestions to boo Mario Lemieux, to the mass exodus of players leaving our team, to the constant bashing of Therrien as a major jagoff and terrible coach, and not to forget the demeaning criticism of all Penguin fans as fair-weathered and least informed in the league...just to name a few.

Trying to reply to any of these unfair accusations on your site I've realized is a lost cause since the lack of respect for outside posters there (especially Pens fans) is ugly at best.

So to clear up some of these issues in case they haven't been already answered by above posts:
- Mario has done more for this city and team than any player/owner for any team in the history of the league arguably and he challenges even the Steeler greats for the most revered person in Pittsburgh sports history, which is saying something. He did everything humanely possible to try and keep the Pens here before finally admitting that there were no more options left, but to consider moving the team, and only then did the politicians finally get off their butts and work with him to keep the team here.

- The core group of Pens players are WELL INTACT even after losing Hossa to Detroit and Malone leaving, in case you didn't notice. What kind of hockey fan would not want to be building their team with Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, Orpik, and Whitney as the centerpieces to their franchise for the next 5-10 years??? There is no MASS EXODUS as others have clearly pointed out. You can make a case that Detroit is better off for the next season or two obviously, but try admitting that Pittsburgh isn't far behind them, and actually exceeds their outlook for the longterm future.

- Therrien may have come off as whiny to fans in Detroit in finals, but without even going into the endless "clutch and grab" debate that he was clearly fed up with, there is no denying how far he has advanced this team in the short two and a half seasons he's been here. Even with the pleasure of coaching superstars like Malkin and Crosby, he has done a masterful job of turning this team around in a short period of time with the help of our GM and getting this team to play to its full potential even with serious injuries to major players throughout the regular season at times. Criticizing him and the job he's done so far here is jeuvenile and shortsighted from both Pittsburgh and Detroit fans, just look at the facts.

- While it is probably pointless to try and defend Pittsburgh fans hockey knowledge compared to Detroit fans since the tradition in Detroit is clearly longer and deeper, the lack of respect in this area is still very annoying. Hopefully from your visits here you can start to get a true appreciation for how many knowledgable hockey fans there are in Pittsburgh nowadays and help dispel the silly bandwagon fan mentality that seems to permeate the majority of people on LGW.com. Judging fan hockey knowledge is tough to do no matter what criteria is used, but as everyone knows there are morons at both ends of the spectrum that cancel each other out. Just attending a Pens game in person here in Pittsburgh though I think would be enough to convince you of the rabid following this team has here now and just how knowledgable the fans are here. The games are truly electric nowadays most of the time and unquestionably moreso come playoff time. Not sure the same could be said for Joe Louis, as hard as that may be for you to admit. Even your own Detroit reporter was impressed by the atmosphere in The Igloo (even though you may have ridden her out of town by now for her opinion when she stated it). Detroit fans I think may be a tad spoiled by their hockey success over the past 10-15 years which is understandable, and I do not doubt their knowledge of the game has diminished in that time, but at the same time Pens fans need to start being given the respect they deserve too and who knows, perhaps shortly down the road we will become spoiled in a similar manner, much like after our 2 Cup win in the early '90s. It happens.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,661
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:50 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby therock48880 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:06 pm

penscup wrote:
therock48880 wrote:I never once read on lgw that Therrian was the problem. If you read my posts, I said I read it on LETSGOPENS.COM I came here simply for clarification, which I got and then wished the Pens luck next year. Yet, you continue to get mad and attack me.


If you ARE here on a purely fact seeking mission please be sure to relay the information you've learned back to your fellow Detroit fans there because from the visits I've made to LGW.com the b.s. about anything Pittsburgh there is more than just a little misinformed and flies fast and furious. Gracious winners of the Cup the majority of you are not. From your suggestions to boo Mario Lemieux, to the mass exodus of players leaving our team, to the constant bashing of Therrien as a major jagoff and terrible coach, and not to forget the demeaning criticism of all Penguin fans as fair-weathered and least informed in the league...just to name a few.

Trying to reply to any of these unfair accusations on your site I've realized is a lost cause since the lack of respect for outside posters there (especially Pens fans) is ugly at best.

So to clear up some of these issues in case they haven't been already answered by above posts:
- Mario has done more for this city and team than any player/owner for any team in the history of the league arguably and he challenges even the Steeler greats for the most revered person in Pittsburgh sports history, which is saying something. He did everything humanely possible to try and keep the Pens here before finally admitting that there were no more options left, but to consider moving the team, and only then did the politicians finally get off their butts and work with him to keep the team here.

- The core group of Pens players are WELL INTACT even after losing Hossa to Detroit and Malone leaving, in case you didn't notice. What kind of hockey fan would not want to be building their team with Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal, Orpik, and Whitney as the centerpieces to their franchise for the next 5-10 years??? There is no MASS EXODUS as others have clearly pointed out. You can make a case that Detroit is better off for the next season or two obviously, but try admitting that Pittsburgh isn't far behind them, and actually exceeds their outlook for the longterm future.

- Therrien may have come off as whiny to fans in Detroit in finals, but without even going into the endless "clutch and grab" debate that he was clearly fed up with, there is no denying how far he has advanced this team in the short two and a half seasons he's been here. Even with the pleasure of coaching superstars like Malkin and Crosby, he has done a masterful job of turning this team around in a short period of time with the help of our GM and getting this team to play to its full potential even with serious injuries to major players throughout the regular season at times. Criticizing him and the job he's done so far here is jeuvenile and shortsighted from both Pittsburgh and Detroit fans, just look at the facts.

- While it is probably pointless to try and defend Pittsburgh fans hockey knowledge compared to Detroit fans since the tradition in Detroit is clearly longer and deeper, the lack of respect in this area is still very annoying. Hopefully from your visits here you can start to get a true appreciation for how many knowledgable hockey fans there are in Pittsburgh nowadays and help dispel the silly bandwagon fan mentality that seems to permeate the majority of people on LGW.com. Judging fan hockey knowledge is tough to do no matter what criteria is used, but as everyone knows there are morons at both ends of the spectrum that cancel each other out. Just attending a Pens game in person here in Pittsburgh though I think would be enough to convince you of the rabid following this team has here now and just how knowledgable the fans are here. The games are truly electric nowadays most of the time and unquestionably moreso come playoff time. Not sure the same could be said for Joe Louis, as hard as that may be for you to admit. Even your own Detroit reporter was impressed by the atmosphere in The Igloo (even though you may have ridden her out of town by now for her opinion when she stated it). Detroit fans I think may be a tad spoiled by their hockey success over the past 10-15 years which is understandable, and I do not doubt their knowledge of the game has diminished in that time, but at the same time Pens fans need to start being given the respect they deserve too and who knows, perhaps shortly down the road we will become spoiled in a similar manner, much like after our 2 Cup win in the early '90s. It happens.


I never once said anything about Mario. I think you may have me mixed up with someone else.

I've chatted with a few Pens fans on LGW and all of the conversations were very cordial. In terms of meeting hostility, go read some of the responses to me in this very thread, even though I have personally wished the Pens the best of luck for next season.

In terms of Therrien, I found the original post on this site that I was referring to. It's in the thread that deals with Hossa leaving. I don't know the exact post number but it's in the thread that's about 26 pages long.

I have no doubt that Pens fans are knowledgeable. That's why I finally decided to log on and ask questions. If I didn't think there was any knowledge base, I wouldn't have asked any questions.

I think it's easy to generalize some forums based on the responses of a few people. I've been attacked on this site by one or two people, but that doesn't mean that everyone here is a moron. The same holds true for lgw.com. Some people on there ARE morons, no doubt. But there are some on every team's forum. The only site I've seen where almost everyone is hostile is calgarypucks.com
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:17 am

Postby therock48880 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:59 pm

Tikkanen wrote:
therock48880 wrote:I emailed him also and commended him for being so unbiased in his journalism. He responded quickly and thanked me.


UNBIASED???? wow...that's rich. Obviously, you have not read much of Smizik's revolting, uninformed, and most importantly, biased drivel.


Only read this one article, actually. I know Pens fans are mad about Hossa, and I would be too, but I didn't think this article was biased against the Pens. I'm sure I'm in the minority, though. :)
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:17 am

Postby PensBeerGeek on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:40 pm

I thought that someone resurrected this thread to comment on Bozo's frustrating suggestion in his column today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08205/898810-13.stm

"Some suggest trading all of the veterans -- Jason Bay, Xavier Nady, Adam LaRoche and Wilson -- who might fetch decent prospects. In some circumstances, that might be a reasonable strategy. But with no minor league talent, that's not a strategy Huntington can afford. If he employed it, the Pirates would lose 100 games next year and probably the year after, and PNC Park would become a ghost town."

Wow, so instead of suffering for a couple of years and building up for a brighter future, they should keep the same old dog and pony show that clearly isn't working (I know the hitting is carrying the team this year, but it certainly hasn't in years past) so that they can keep the fireworks crowd in the seats.

While the gist of the article is that the situation is hopeless regardless of what happens, at least trying SOMETHING would show that someone in the Pirates front office cares about winning before PNC Park is as old as Fenway.

Hmm, offhand I can't think of a team that was successful with the first strategy... :P
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,264
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:38 pm
Location: Morgantown, WV/Washington, PA

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:41 am

smizik is a joke and always has been.
Last edited by meecrofilm on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,524
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Postby Guinness on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:35 am

In my opinion, Hossa's free to do what he wants. I would really have liked to see him in the lineup this fall, but in retrospect, I'm glad Shero didn't wrap up too much salary in him. I've come to the opinion that, with Crosby and Malkin, you surround them with parts. We don't *need* star wings- we need servicable wings to compliment our star centers.

I wouldn't boo Hossa myself, but I can understand those who do. I think for most fans, and for me in particular, the thing that stings most about Hossa going to Detroit is that as a Penguins fan, I don't see anyone standing between us and the Cup but Detroit. With Hossa on our roster, and Crosby and Malkin, et al, with one more year of experience, I felt very good about a second chance next year. With Hossa not just gone from our roster, but added to Detroit's, it makes that goal that much more difficult. I still have confidence in the team, I just wish Hossa would have, too...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,330
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:30 am
Location: At the pub

Postby KinCroz on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:07 am

Hossa should be booed worse than Jagr. When Jagr left, he at least didn't lead everyone to believe that he wanted to stay longer. He made his intentions clear...trade me. For that, he has been reviled by half of Penguindom. (I have never supported the booing of Jagr by the way. No Jagr = no cups).

Hossa on the otherhand played Shero like a fiddle. He led him to believe that he would probably sign here and then left for a worse contract to play with a team I now despise. This tied Shero's hands and some good free agents signed elsewhere for reasonable prices...Vrbata for example who would have fit in well here.

Hossa should be booed, and we need to demand new columnists in the local papers. They all suck.
KinCroz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:30 pm

Postby pronovost19 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:43 pm

Booing Hossa....being a knucklehead for a few seconds....

Reading Bob Smizik.....being a knucklehead for the better part of three decades....
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,144
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:28 am

One has to be a real knucklehead to resort to name calling such as that. Just not professional.

I also think that he's in a very small minority with the way he feels about this. Off the top of my head, I can name only 3 posters at LGP who are not pissed off at Hossa. Maybe I saw a couple more, but I'm not too sure on that. I'll say that the vast majority of people have a sour taste in their mouth about what happened. Not to even mention that Shero, Therrien, and some players have spoken out on this and are not very happy, either.

Smizik's just making enemies. I don't know why he'd do this to himself.

One more thing. Every player on an opposing team should be open for BOOING. No reason. Just because he's on another team. Not boo Hossa? The whole idea is idiotic. He's an enemy now... boo away, people, boo away.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Postby Eismann on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:42 am

Sarcastic wrote:One has to be a real knucklehead to resort to name calling such as that. Just not professional.

I also think that he's in a very small minority with the way he feels about this. Off the top of my head, I can name only 3 posters at LGP who are not pissed off at Hossa. Maybe I saw a couple more, but I'm not too sure on that. I'll say that the vast majority of people have a sour taste in their mouth about what happened. Not to even mention that Shero, Therrien, and some players have spoken out on this and are not very happy, either.

Smizik's just making enemies. I don't know why he'd do this to himself.

One more thing. Every player on an opposing team should be open for BOOING. No reason. Just because he's on another team. Not boo Hossa? The whole idea is idiotic. He's an enemy now... boo away, people, boo away.


Actually, upon further consideration, I'm going to give Hossa a sound reading of Hamlet. Forsooth.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,684
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Less obnoxious, brainless rehab addict chick

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


e-mail