Bozo Columnist says if you boo Hossa, you're a knucklehead

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:19 am

tombarrassorules wrote:in the era of the blog, what does a newspaper columnist bring to the table? sure they sit in the press box and can interview players if they want, but they rarely do, essentially just giving opinions in utterly dull and antiquated ways.

Back in my younger days I used to have great respect for the press. And then I worked for a local daily newspaper, and saw firsthand that the sportswriters were just fans who a) knew how to put a few sentences together, and b) were fortunate enough to land jobs at the newspaper.

My view of sportswriters has decreased even more in recent years as I see that many times they seem to get their story lines from websites like lgp.com. Can't they even come up with their own ideas?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:22 pm

Does anybody really think that booing Hossa makes any difference to Hossa himself? Is it going to cause him to play worse? Doesn't seem likely, and if it does, then why would we want him on the team anyhow?

While I'm certainly a bit miffed at him, and I wouldn't cheer for him, the whole booing thing just doesn't make sense to me. It seems, to me, like something that an angry adolescent with an elevated sense of self-importance is likely to do.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:51 pm

1. If pirate fans boo, does anyone hear them?

2. Two way street; Hossa never owed me anything and he gets
the same from me. He is like any other opposing player.

Now based on what was reported, the core penguin players
may have more of an issue with Hossa.

I've never booed Jaromir. I've felt fans do it more to be
part of the booing storyline than actually their feelings
towards Jaromir. Just my opinion.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:52 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:Does anybody really think that booing Hossa makes any difference to Hossa himself? Is it going to cause him to play worse? Doesn't seem likely, and if it does, then why would we want him on the team anyhow?

While I'm certainly a bit miffed at him, and I wouldn't cheer for him, the whole booing thing just doesn't make sense to me. It seems, to me, like something that an angry adolescent with an elevated sense of self-importance is likely to do.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:53 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:Does anybody really think that booing Hossa makes any difference to Hossa himself? Is it going to cause him to play worse? Doesn't seem likely, and if it does, then why would we want him on the team anyhow?

We're fans of the Pens, we're not happy with what Hossa did, and we want to show it. There's really nothing more to it.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:55 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:Smizik's a bit of an old fart, but he's completely correct. I can't believe that anybody would argue with his premise.

He's totally wrong. I can't believe anyone would think that he's right.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Durbano on Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:59 pm

I was going to say, “At least this will kill the ‘Hossa to Detroit’ thread," but that hasn’t happened.

Anyway, I honestly can’t tell if Smizik is serious or (more likely) he was under orders to write 600-700 words about the Pens, regardless of details. In any case, he completely omits what from this Pens fan’s perspective is the most crucial part of the Hossa saga: the deception.

At minimum, Hossa gave the appearance of toying with the Pens. He did not violate the letter of the law, but he darn sure violated its spirit -- capped off with a gutless, piling-on signing where all he really needs to do is stay out of the way.

For Smizik not to at least touch on any of those components is lazy and unprofessional.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Durbano wrote:I was going to say, “At least this will kill the ‘Hossa to Detroit’ thread," but that hasn’t happened.

I think it actually gave it additional momentum.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:04 pm

BTW, it's also evident that Bozo relies on LGP for his Pens material. Who, specifically, are these 'knuckleheads'? How does he know Hossa will be booed. He makes the direct link between that happening and 'the knuckleheads,' so how many of them has he spoken to? Probably none. He's trolling through here, read all the Hossa material, and went with that.

Also interesting is how he beat on Madden for ripping on callers, then turns around and calls us - those who will boo Hossa - names, just like Madden.

Slow day, eh Bozo?

Next question: which LGPer is Smizik????

Daaaa da dum dum..............
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby holeinone on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:25 pm

Bozo the columnist is one of the biggest idiots I have ever seen. He is stupid ,lacks knowledge especially in hockey and if you ever listen to a word he says you are as stupid as he is. Guys like him turn my stomach He and Cook should both be run out of town after being tarred and feathered.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:28 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Image

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pennywise~ from IT
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:16 pm

BOOOOOOOOOO CLOWNS!

I understand Hossa's decision. I just don't like how he went about doing it.
I won't be booing him.....................because I won't be at the game!

And hell yes, I'm a knucklehead. I knew that before ANY of the Hossa shenanigans went down. :D
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:04 pm

I'm not booing him.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:21 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:Does anybody really think that booing Hossa makes any difference to Hossa himself?

Who cares? The question you should be asking is: why does the idea of another paying customer booing a player from another team bother me so much?
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocky133213 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 pm

Every time i see one of his columns or see him on TV, my immediate reaction is "Who in the world think's this guy's relevant enough to pay to hear his opinions?!" My next thought is, "if this is all it takes to be a sports columnist, why didn't I do that?" Then i drink.....heavily. Thanks Bob.
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby guiner on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:06 pm

all that criticism of his aside, he is 100% correct with this one.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:21 pm

guiner wrote:all that criticism of his aside, he is 100% correct with this one.

g

Ummmm... No he's not. There's no reason Pittsburgh fans shouldn't boo him. He chose Detroit over Pittsburgh. Is that not good enough of a reason?!

Hossa should be booed loudly every time he touches the puck on February 8th.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:27 pm

g
I reserve my boos for true canidates. Players that degrade the game and humanity as a whole. "Sean Avery" comes to mind.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bill from turtle creek on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:39 pm

Whatever. If Hossa really cared what we Pens' fans think of him, he wouldn't have signed with Detroit. Chances are, he'll get booed here, but the Wings will win, and after the game he'll probably believe that he made the right decision, given how fair-weather his fans turned out to be and how good the Wings are.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Doogs on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:50 pm

Smizik does not like hockey. Nuff said.

Besides, I won't boo him, so he wasn't referring to me...you knuckleheads!!!! :D :D :roll:
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

smiziks job

Postby Kharlamov on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:53 pm

how does this guy have a job writing for a newspaper. he writes an article that says people who boo are 'knuckleheads'? what an amazing piece of journalism. what a joke he is.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:55 pm

ivand87 wrote:

g

Ummmm... No he's not. There's no reason Pittsburgh fans shouldn't boo him. He chose Detroit over Pittsburgh. Is that not good enough of a reason?!

Hossa should be booed loudly every time he touches the puck on February 8th.

I'm going to come to McDonald's and boo you for choosing it over Burger King. Its his life, he didnt choose to come to Pittsburgh, he was traded. He was an unrestricted free agent. He certainly isnt restricted by your childishness.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby profpolisci on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:02 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:While I don't care if others boo Hossa, I won't be. I failed to read the article, though if its about whether or not you should boo Hossa, it has to be rather idiotic.

Nor I.
For me, I like Smizik, but he's starting to rust.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ron` on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:06 pm

Same reason I won't boo Howard Stern fans. They know what they like. Why's it the same? I liked Hossa but he went for the light like a moth and it's time to move on.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Big Fan Big Fan on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:50 pm

Question: Which LGP poster is Bozo The Columnist?
I would guess he might be from Turtle Creek.
Smizik is an idiot. He wanted MM fired in the worst way. He should not be allowed anywhere near the Arena.
Big Fan Big Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins