Bozo Columnist says if you boo Hossa, you're a knucklehead

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:04 pm

therock48880 wrote:
EagleMorph wrote:
therock48880 wrote:Thanks for the explanation. That just seemed like a lot of the heart and soul of the Pens leaving and leaving quickly.

We would have loved to have kept every single one of them. They were all great as Penguins. But Pens fans knew that with so many available to other teams, it wasn't likely, so we're not concerned. This is how it's going to be with Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, Whitney, Staal, and others as the core.

Good point. That's where we are SO lucky to be Wing's fans. Datsyuk signed long-term for below market value, Lidstrom did the same, Zetterberg will make 2.75 mill this year, etc... The list goes on and on. It started years ago with Yzerman deferring money, then Shanahan did, and it's carried down to this generation of players. So, if your five best players sign for 1-2 million less than market value, that frees up 5-10 extra million dollars.

There is nothing going on in Pittsburgh.

Malone left because the Penguins weren't about to overpay for a pretty much inconsistent player who happened to have the best year of his career during the season before he became a free agent. He got about 1-3 million more than the Pens were willing to even talk about. The Pens couldn't afford to offer him the amount of money he got from Tampa and still hope to keep Fluery, Malkin, and Orpik.

Roberts is 42 years old. He was hurt for the majority of last year. He served his purpose of a veteran leader back when the Pens had no experience in playoff hockey. The core of the team has now played together for 2 seasons, and made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. They probably don't need his presence as much. A younger player can probably match and most likely exceed his productivity, although no one will probably be able to match his intensity and heart.

Ruutu wanted a year more for his contract than the Pens were willing to give. Matt Cooke is probably an upgrade in terms of productivity, value, and effectiveness anyways.

BGL was basically shown the door after the Pens signed Godard. Godard is as much of a heavyweight as BGL, and he signed for a lot less than Georges did.

Players like Hall are a dime a dozen. The Pens have 3 or 4 guys that will be able to step in and fill his shoes.

The only player that the Pens really wanted to keep and couldn't was Hossa. I think Pens fans have every right to boo him. What if you were dating a girl who dumped you for some guy that beat you up in a fight? Even if you were only dating for a week, would you still respect her? That's basically what Hossa did.

Now I don't normally boo the opposing team (unless they are from Philly). I never booed Jagr. I have a lot of respect for the Red Wings and find it hard to dislike the team. But, if I am in attendance for a Pens-Wings game next season I will be booing Hossa at every chance I get.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:12 pm

It's funny that he compares booing Hossa to booing Ramirez. What sain person wouldn't boo a Pirate. Especially if they are underperforming.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby therock48880 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:13 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
therock48880 wrote:
EagleMorph wrote:
therock48880 wrote:Thanks for the explanation. That just seemed like a lot of the heart and soul of the Pens leaving and leaving quickly.

We would have loved to have kept every single one of them. They were all great as Penguins. But Pens fans knew that with so many available to other teams, it wasn't likely, so we're not concerned. This is how it's going to be with Malkin, Crosby, Fleury, Whitney, Staal, and others as the core.

Good point. That's where we are SO lucky to be Wing's fans. Datsyuk signed long-term for below market value, Lidstrom did the same, Zetterberg will make 2.75 mill this year, etc... The list goes on and on. It started years ago with Yzerman deferring money, then Shanahan did, and it's carried down to this generation of players. So, if your five best players sign for 1-2 million less than market value, that frees up 5-10 extra million dollars.

There is nothing going on in Pittsburgh.

Malone left because the Penguins weren't about to overpay for a pretty much inconsistent player who happened to have the best year of his career during the season before he became a free agent. He got about 1-3 million more than the Pens were willing to even talk about. The Pens couldn't afford to offer him the amount of money he got from Tampa and still hope to keep Fluery, Malkin, and Orpik.

Roberts is 42 years old. He was hurt for the majority of last year. He served his purpose of a veteran leader back when the Pens had no experience in playoff hockey. The core of the team has now played together for 2 seasons, and made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. They probably don't need his presence as much. A younger player can probably match and most likely exceed his productivity, although no one will probably be able to match his intensity and heart.

Ruutu wanted a year more for his contract than the Pens were willing to give. Matt Cooke is probably an upgrade in terms of productivity, value, and effectiveness anyways.

BGL was basically shown the door after the Pens signed Godard. Godard is as much of a heavyweight as BGL, and he signed for a lot less than Georges did.

Players like Hall are a dime a dozen. The Pens have 3 or 4 guys that will be able to step in and fill his shoes.

The only player that the Pens really wanted to keep and couldn't was Hossa. I think Pens fans have every right to boo him. What if you were dating a girl who dumped you for some guy that beat you up in a fight? Even if you were only dating for a week, would you still respect her? That's basically what Hossa did.

Now I don't normally boo the opposing team (unless they are from Philly). I never booed Jagr. I have a lot of respect for the Red Wings and find it hard to dislike the team. But, if I am in attendance for a Pens-Wings game next season I will be booing Hossa at every chance I get.

I understand now. From an outsiders perspective it seemed odd to see so many guys leaving a team that seemed very good. That's why I decided to register and check in to see if you guys had a perspective that I didn't have. I honestly didn't come here to make anyone irate (which I think I failed at).

Go ahead and boo Hossa. We boo Fedorov and Bertuzzi whenever they take a breath at the Joe.
:evil:
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:17 pm

therock48880 wrote:I understand now. From an outsiders perspective it seemed odd to see so many guys leaving a team that seemed very good. That's why I decided to register and check in to see if you guys had a perspective that I didn't have. I honestly didn't come here to make anyone irate (which I think I failed at).

Go ahead and boo Hossa. We boo Fedorov and Bertuzzi whenever they take a breath at the Joe. :evil:

I didn't see EagleMorph's explanation earlier, so I apologize for basically repeating him. Glad that we could offer some insight. :wink:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ivand87 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:22 pm

therock48880 wrote:
ivand87 wrote:
therock48880 wrote:
ivand87 wrote:For whatever reason, he chose not to come back, even though he had something great here in Pittsburgh.

Maybe he didn't think he had something great in Pittsburgh.

Oh yes, reaching the Finals for the first time in his career and playing on the wing of the best playmaker in the NHL is NOT a good thing. He simply did not realize that. :roll:

Wings fans trolling LGP... Fantastic. Why do you care what happens with the Pens? You won the Cup and we're not as good without Hossa now. Celebrate some more that you took our best winger in free agency and made us weaker while you guys got even better. You beat us in the Cup Finals and then you slapped us in the face in free agency. If I was a Wings fan I wouldn't even show up on Penguins forums just because the Wings have already humiliated us enough by hoisting the Cup in our building and taking Hossa away. Do you really have to come in here asking questions and showing off?

But more importantly, how is it that Detroit fans (and even a few Pens fans) don't understand why a lot of us are upset that Hossa basically took the easy route for the Cup when he already had a GREAT chance to win it with the Pens? Isn't this extremely obvious? He literally pulled the old "If you can't beat em, join em" and stabbed the Pens in the back.

As Henry Hank and others have said, we're upset that this guy had to go to the very best team in the league and make them even better. The team that beat us. But also the same team that had tons of trouble putting us away. Remember game 5 how we came out and took a 2-0 lead in the first period and even as the Wings came back and took the lead in the 3rd, Talbot scored to force OT and Fleury stood on his head to allow Sykora to win it in the 3rd OT. And remember how close we were in game 6 when Sid with that backhander nearly tied the game at 3 with a second left and Hossa himself almost put in the rebound as time expired.

I'll take it up a notch - the Penguins have a brighter future than the Red Wings! Even without Hossa, they are the best team in the East and will compete against any team in the West, including Hossa's Wings. Crosby, Malkin and Staal, our 3 best players not counting Fleury, are all under 22 years of age! Crosby and Malkin have already been nominated for the Hart Trophy, with Crosby winning it in 2007, and Staal has become one of the best penalty killers in the league. His offense was missing this past season, but he's only 19 and has already scored 41 goals in this league. How many centers in NHL history have scored 41 goals before their 20th birthday? Not many. He will step it up a notch this season and help offset the loss of Ryan Malone. I could go on and on with Fleury and even our defense which has improved drastically, and I understand it's really tough for anyone to make an argument that they're as good as Detroit, but the Penguins might actually be the only team in the league that at least has an argument.

So don't come in here saying Hossa didn't think he had something great in Pittsburgh. Because he very obviously did think that. He made the choice to play for the Wings, and that's fine, but for the 50th time, we have the right to be pissed at him for going there.

Bitterness like this is what makes people on lgw.com make fun of Pittsburgh fans about.
Three points
1. I didn't come here to troll or start arguments. I was trying to figure out why Pitt has the mass exodus of players, which was expained quite well.
2. Last year after the Wings lost to Anaheim, TWO players left Detroit and went to Anaheim. (Schneider and Bertuzzi). The result? Bertuzzi is booed every time he steps on the ice and that's due to the Steve Moore incident. Schneider was booed when introduced and then nothing else.
3. Pittsburgh does have a bright future and I wish you guys well.

Like you wouldn't be a little bit bitter if one of your best players joined the team that beat you in the SCF. The Bertuzzi and Schneider comparisons are ridiculous, no offense, because neither one of those players is close to being as good as Hossa. And you didn't need either one of them either, obviously. Schneider is a very good defenseman, but with your depth on D, he would be lucky to be 3rd behind Lidstrom and Rafalski. Kronwall is probably better at this point than Schneider. So we're talking about a 4th defenseman on the Wings and a washed up, injured power forward who's seen his better days, against an elite winger who's a great scorer and an excellent 2-way player that the Penguins actually needed.

And you have to admit that when you said "Maybe Hossa didn't think he had a great thing going", that's just not very smart. Hossa did consider staying. And it's true - if Hossa had stayed it would have been very difficult to keep Brooks Orpik, but as for everyone else, you're talking about 3rd and 4th liners. With the exception of Ryan Malone, the team would have been pretty much the same, but a year older, and with the experience of a solid run at the Cup. Ray Shero's done some great things and signed some players for less than what they're worth, and that includes Crosby and Malkin, so he could have very easily made things work with Hossa's contract in the mix.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby therock48880 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:26 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:
therock48880 wrote:I understand now. From an outsiders perspective it seemed odd to see so many guys leaving a team that seemed very good. That's why I decided to register and check in to see if you guys had a perspective that I didn't have. I honestly didn't come here to make anyone irate (which I think I failed at).

Go ahead and boo Hossa. We boo Fedorov and Bertuzzi whenever they take a breath at the Joe. :evil:

I didn't see EagleMorph's explanation earlier, so I apologize for basically repeating him. Glad that we could offer some insight. :wink:

One thing I want to point out before checking out. Matt Cooke is horrible! Ruutu was a much better hockey player, plus he got in peoples' heads. I think you said he's got a two way contract, which is good, because he should be in the minors. I'm sure the Pens can find someone better than him. You'll see what I mean once he starts taking stupid penalties.

Thanks for keeping things civil and not immediately thinking I was a jerk because I like the Wings. :D
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby therock48880 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:30 pm

ivand87 wrote:
therock48880 wrote:
ivand87 wrote:
therock48880 wrote:
ivand87 wrote:For whatever reason, he chose not to come back, even though he had something great here in Pittsburgh.

Maybe he didn't think he had something great in Pittsburgh.

Oh yes, reaching the Finals for the first time in his career and playing on the wing of the best playmaker in the NHL is NOT a good thing. He simply did not realize that. :roll:

Wings fans trolling LGP... Fantastic. Why do you care what happens with the Pens? You won the Cup and we're not as good without Hossa now. Celebrate some more that you took our best winger in free agency and made us weaker while you guys got even better. You beat us in the Cup Finals and then you slapped us in the face in free agency. If I was a Wings fan I wouldn't even show up on Penguins forums just because the Wings have already humiliated us enough by hoisting the Cup in our building and taking Hossa away. Do you really have to come in here asking questions and showing off?

But more importantly, how is it that Detroit fans (and even a few Pens fans) don't understand why a lot of us are upset that Hossa basically took the easy route for the Cup when he already had a GREAT chance to win it with the Pens? Isn't this extremely obvious? He literally pulled the old "If you can't beat em, join em" and stabbed the Pens in the back.

As Henry Hank and others have said, we're upset that this guy had to go to the very best team in the league and make them even better. The team that beat us. But also the same team that had tons of trouble putting us away. Remember game 5 how we came out and took a 2-0 lead in the first period and even as the Wings came back and took the lead in the 3rd, Talbot scored to force OT and Fleury stood on his head to allow Sykora to win it in the 3rd OT. And remember how close we were in game 6 when Sid with that backhander nearly tied the game at 3 with a second left and Hossa himself almost put in the rebound as time expired.

I'll take it up a notch - the Penguins have a brighter future than the Red Wings! Even without Hossa, they are the best team in the East and will compete against any team in the West, including Hossa's Wings. Crosby, Malkin and Staal, our 3 best players not counting Fleury, are all under 22 years of age! Crosby and Malkin have already been nominated for the Hart Trophy, with Crosby winning it in 2007, and Staal has become one of the best penalty killers in the league. His offense was missing this past season, but he's only 19 and has already scored 41 goals in this league. How many centers in NHL history have scored 41 goals before their 20th birthday? Not many. He will step it up a notch this season and help offset the loss of Ryan Malone. I could go on and on with Fleury and even our defense which has improved drastically, and I understand it's really tough for anyone to make an argument that they're as good as Detroit, but the Penguins might actually be the only team in the league that at least has an argument.

So don't come in here saying Hossa didn't think he had something great in Pittsburgh. Because he very obviously did think that. He made the choice to play for the Wings, and that's fine, but for the 50th time, we have the right to be pissed at him for going there.

Bitterness like this is what makes people on lgw.com make fun of Pittsburgh fans about.
Three points
1. I didn't come here to troll or start arguments. I was trying to figure out why Pitt has the mass exodus of players, which was expained quite well.
2. Last year after the Wings lost to Anaheim, TWO players left Detroit and went to Anaheim. (Schneider and Bertuzzi). The result? Bertuzzi is booed every time he steps on the ice and that's due to the Steve Moore incident. Schneider was booed when introduced and then nothing else.
3. Pittsburgh does have a bright future and I wish you guys well.

Like you wouldn't be a little bit bitter if one of your best players joined the team that beat you in the SCF. The Bertuzzi and Schneider comparisons are ridiculous, no offense, because neither one of those players is close to being as good as Hossa. And you didn't need either one of them either, obviously. Schneider is a very good defenseman, but with your depth on D, he would be lucky to be 3rd behind Lidstrom and Rafalski. Kronwall is probably better at this point than Schneider. So we're talking about a 4th defenseman on the Wings and a washed up, injured power forward who's seen his better days, against an elite winger who's a great scorer and an excellent 2-way player that the Penguins actually needed.

And you have to admit that when you said "Maybe Hossa didn't think he had a great thing going", that's just not very smart. Hossa did consider staying. And it's true - if Hossa had stayed it would have been very difficult to keep Brooks Orpik, but as for everyone else, you're talking about 3rd and 4th liners. With the exception of Ryan Malone, the team would have been pretty much the same, but a year older, and with the experience of a solid run at the Cup. Ray Shero's done some great things and signed some players for less than what they're worth, and that includes Crosby and Malkin, so he could have very easily made things work with Hossa's contract in the mix.

I didn't make that comment to make anyone mad. My point of coming here was to figure out why so many players left the Pens. I'd read rumors that Therrien was a jerk and I was kind of hinting at that in my posts.

In my subsequent posts, I make it clear that it made no sense for Hossa to choose Detroit. Pittsburgh with Hossa has a better chance to get to the finals than Detroit with Hossa, imo. The west is murderous compared to the east. So, when he said he went to Detroit to win a cup, that doesn't seem right to me. I thought there was more behind his decision. (Therrian for example).
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby canaan on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:30 pm

therock48880 wrote:I like the Wings. :D

you're dead to me.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby guiner on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:34 pm

ivand87 wrote:
guiner wrote:
ivand87 wrote:
guiner wrote:all that criticism of his aside, he is 100% correct with this one.

g

Ummmm... No he's not. There's no reason Pittsburgh fans shouldn't boo him. He chose Detroit over Pittsburgh. Is that not good enough of a reason?!

Hossa should be booed loudly every time he touches the puck on February 8th.

I'm going to come to McDonald's and boo you for choosing it over Burger King. Its his life, he didnt choose to come to Pittsburgh, he was traded. He was an unrestricted free agent. He certainly isnt restricted by your childishness.

g

Childishness! Hahaha... The reason he chose Detroit over Pittsburgh makes me sick. The reasons many of us have chosen to not like him have been discussed here thoroughly. They're valid reasons to not like him. By telling us we're silly for booing Hossa, fans like you are basically supporting Hossa's decision to play for Detroit over Pittsburgh, which makes me sick. If you don't want to boo him, that's one thing, but not understanding why many of us don't like the guy and would boo him at the Igloo is preposterous.

This guy turned his back on the Pens. For whatever reason, he chose not to come back, even though he had something great here in Pittsburgh. It was his choice, yes, but that doesn't mean we don't have the right to not like him. And he should be booed.

All you Hossa lovers are all so soft. I'm not saying the Igloo should turn into the Wachovia Center with fans booing players left and right and being obnoxious, but this is ridiculous.

Oh, I completely understand. I understand your childish idiots. You have the right to be an idiot, and I have the right to call you out on it. I am not a Hossa lover. I appreciate what he did for us in the playoffs. I wish he had choses to stay, but Im mature enough to know he owes us nothing and has to live his life answering only to himself, not whiney loser fans who think he has to live to their expectations.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:40 pm

therock48880 wrote:I didn't make that comment to make anyone mad. My point of coming here was to figure out why so many players left the Pens. I'd read rumors that Therrien was a jerk and I was kind of hinting at that in my posts.

In my subsequent posts, I make it clear that it made no sense for Hossa to choose Detroit. Pittsburgh with Hossa has a better chance to get to the finals than Detroit with Hossa, imo. The west is murderous compared to the east. So, when he said he went to Detroit to win a cup, that doesn't seem right to me. I thought there was more behind his decision. (Therrian for example).

Have you considered the fact that over the last 3 years, the 3 worst teams in the NHL are all West teams? This notion that the West is a LOT better than the East is ridiculous. It's better, no doubt, but not by much. For instance, did you know that the Penguins were 8-1-1 against the West last year and one of those was a 4-1 win against Dallas? They also played an incredibly dull game against the Sharks, who needed a shootout to beat the Pens. But the point is, they played very well against the West. Most East teams wouldn't have, but some Wings fans suggest that teams like Dallas and even Nashville would have beaten the Penguins in the finals. Hopefully for your own sake you're not one of them. Dallas would have competed, but I really think the Pens would have beaten the Stars (I was hoping they'd come back against Detroit, for obvious reasons... But we also would have had home ice against Dallas).

On Therrien, these ridiculous rumors of him and some players not getting along are wildly exaggerated. Consider that Brooks Orpik at this point has actually been confirmed to be one of those players, yet he still signed a 6-year deal with the Pens. Plus, coaches aren't exactly supposed to be best buddies with the players. The Pens are a young team and it's good that Therrien is a little bit of a hard ass. They need someone to kick their butt a little bit. At this point, I think most Pens fans are very happy to have Therrien as our coach. There are still some that don't like him, but I think this has something to do with his poor English. Yes, he has Crosby and Malkin and a bunch of great players, but Therrien has taken this team from being dead last in the East to a division title and was 2 wins away from winning the Cup. Maybe you should take this to lgw.com so that some of the fans over there stop speculating about Therrien. They know very little.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gary on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:02 pm

EagleMorph wrote:
WWGRD wrote:So who e-mailed him?

I did:

Bob:
Jagr's treatment is not because he was traded, nor for his bizarre behavior in the locker room, but for what he said close to his departure. "I'm dying alive" has become the mantra in reference to Jagr, and if there is one thing you should know as a Pittsburgh sports writer, it's that Pittsburghers hate their city or their brethren being trashed by another person, especially one of their own. Jagr crossed the line, and he's paid for it. But he's also been honored by Penguins fans, as was the occasion after his 600th goal AND his final appearance on the ice with the Rangers this past spring. He was given a standing ovation as he left the ice, something that was quite amazing considering Pens fans were rejoicing a dramatic overtime win that clinched the series.

I agree with probably everything else in your email except this. You're perpetuating the "dying alive" myth. Pittsburgh columnists have gotten bashed in this thread, but it was Gene Collier, I believe, who took the "dying alive" quote out of context and used it to beat up Jagr unfairly. Jagr said those words in December 2000 in expressing his dismay at his own play to that point in the season. He was holding himself to a high standard and disgusted that he wasn't coming close to it. Months later, Collier conflated that quote with Jagr's asking to be traded, making it sound like Jagr said he was "dying alive" to be playing for the Pens. People like you bought it hook, line, and sinker, which is largely why Jagr still gets booed.
Gary
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:05 pm

guiner wrote:
ivand87 wrote:
guiner wrote:
ivand87 wrote:

g

Ummmm... No he's not. There's no reason Pittsburgh fans shouldn't boo him. He chose Detroit over Pittsburgh. Is that not good enough of a reason?!

I'm going to come to McDonald's and boo you for choosing it over Burger King. Its his life, he didnt choose to come to Pittsburgh, he was traded. He was an unrestricted free agent. He certainly isnt restricted by your childishness.

g

Childishness! Hahaha... The reason he chose Detroit over Pittsburgh makes me sick. The reasons many of us have chosen to not like him have been discussed here thoroughly. They're valid reasons to not like him. By telling us we're silly for booing Hossa, fans like you are basically supporting Hossa's decision to play for Detroit over Pittsburgh, which makes me sick. If you don't want to boo him, that's one thing, but not understanding why many of us don't like the guy and would boo him at the Igloo is preposterous.

This guy turned his back on the Pens. For whatever reason, he chose not to come back, even though he had something great here in Pittsburgh. It was his choice, yes, but that doesn't mean we don't have the right to not like him. And he should be booed.

All you Hossa lovers are all so soft. I'm not saying the Igloo should turn into the Wachovia Center with fans booing players left and right and being obnoxious, but this is ridiculous.

Oh, I completely understand. I understand your childish idiots. You have the right to be an idiot, and I have the right to call you out on it. I am not a Hossa lover. I appreciate what he did for us in the playoffs. I wish he had choses to stay, but Im mature enough to know he owes us nothing and has to live his life answering only to himself, not whiney loser fans who think he has to live to their expectations.

g

This is not about us fans. This is about the Pens and what he had there. Of course free agents can do what they want, but it's never THAT simple. Again, the REASON why he went to Detroit and the fact that he didn't consider signing with the Pens for 1 year is the biggest reason I'm upset. If Detroit had offered him a long term deal for more money than the Pens could offer then it would have made perfect sense.

But now you're down to name calling and trying to make it personal. Talk about childish. I won't stoop to your level. Well maybe just a little... If you're gonna insult people on their maturity, you might not want to type like a 12-year old. Or maybe it's just your grammar that sucks.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby guiner on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:25 pm

ivand87 wrote:
guiner wrote:
ivand87 wrote:
guiner wrote:
ivand87 wrote:

g

g

g

This is not about us fans. This is about the Pens and what he had there. Of course free agents can do what they want, but it's never THAT simple. Again, the REASON why he went to Detroit and the fact that he didn't consider signing with the Pens for 1 year is the biggest reason I'm upset. If Detroit had offered him a long term deal for more money than the Pens could offer then it would have made perfect sense.

But now you're down to name calling and trying to make it personal. Talk about childish. I won't stoop to your level. Well maybe just a little... If you're gonna insult people on their maturity, you might not want to type like a 12-year old. Or maybe it's just your grammar that sucks.

Yeah, its that simple. And don't pass it off on the team, thats their concern too, not yours. They took the high road. You just don't get it, it doesnt matter ONE LICK as to the reason. Its his life, its his choice and he owes you, me, us, whatever. NOTHING. Sorry I don't give a crap about you enough to even look back to see if my typing or spelling is error free. This topic or forum isnt worth it.

Get over it.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby therock48880 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:31 pm

ivand87 wrote:
therock48880 wrote:I didn't make that comment to make anyone mad. My point of coming here was to figure out why so many players left the Pens. I'd read rumors that Therrien was a jerk and I was kind of hinting at that in my posts.

Have you considered the fact that over the last 3 years, the 3 worst teams in the NHL are all West teams? This notion that the West is a LOT better than the East is ridiculous. It's better, no doubt, but not by much. For instance, did you know that the Penguins were 8-1-1 against the West last year and one of those was a 4-1 win against Dallas? They also played an incredibly dull game against the Sharks, who needed a shootout to beat the Pens. But the point is, they played very well against the West. Most East teams wouldn't have, but some Wings fans suggest that teams like Dallas and even Nashville would have beaten the Penguins in the finals. Hopefully for your own sake you're not one of them. Dallas would have competed, but I really think the Pens would have beaten the Stars (I was hoping they'd come back against Detroit, for obvious reasons... But we also would have had home ice against Dallas).

On Therrien, these ridiculous rumors of him and some players not getting along are wildly exaggerated. Consider that Brooks Orpik at this point has actually been confirmed to be one of those players, yet he still signed a 6-year deal with the Pens. Plus, coaches aren't exactly supposed to be best buddies with the players. The Pens are a young team and it's good that Therrien is a little bit of a hard ass. They need someone to kick their butt a little bit. At this point, I think most Pens fans are very happy to have Therrien as our coach. There are still some that don't like him, but I think this has something to do with his poor English. Yes, he has Crosby and Malkin and a bunch of great players, but Therrien has taken this team from being dead last in the East to a division title and was 2 wins away from winning the Cup. Maybe you should take this to lgw.com so that some of the fans over there stop speculating about Therrien. They know very little.

I never once read on lgw that Therrian was the problem. If you read my posts, I said I read it on LETSGOPENS.COM I came here simply for clarification, which I got and then wished the Pens luck next year. Yet, you continue to get mad and attack me.

I believe the West is much better than the East and you don't. That's fine. It's America and we can believe what we want. You mentioned that the Pens did well against the West. Congrats. But look more closely at who they played. They beat the Stars, lost to the Sharks, and then played a bunch of teams that suck from the West. Yup, they beat Edmonton and the Flames and the Coyotes. But I'd still take the top 4 teams in the west any day over the top four in the east. Sorry if that offends you.

The funny thing is, when I brought up the discrepancy in the leagues, I was doing so to point out that Hossa should have stayed in Pitt.
Last edited by therock48880 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby canaan on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:35 pm

this thread sucks.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:47 pm

The more important thing is that none of us should really care what Bob Smizik has to say about hockey.

When it comes to hockey, Smizik is one of the last people I'd even bother reading.

In fact, I didn't even click on the article. That's how much I care about Smizik's hockey editorials.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:33 am

canaan wrote:this thread sucks.

yeah.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cs6687 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:03 am

bhaw wrote:
canaan wrote:this thread sucks.

yeah.

Last edited by cs6687 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:03 am

sjradio & therock48880 .... mass exodus from the penguins & mario is a crook. we all wear different glasses, don't we?

Nothing but on ice results will give all of the us the "rest of the story"
for Marian. There is only 1 happy ending for him; we will see.

When the penguins win their stanley cup I promise, here & now,
not to go sniffing out the opponent's home fans and demean them
or try to look brilliant while attempting to belittle them.

continue to make yourselves at home, we don't bite.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:14 am

therock48880 wrote:One thing I want to point out before checking out. Matt Cooke is horrible!

I think your hatred for Matt Cooke is clouding your judgment there. Matt Cooke will fill in for what Ruutu did here...and I actually think do a better job. Time will tell...I guess.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:17 am

penny lane wrote: we don't bite.

Yes, we do. Some of us enjoy that too. :lol: :lol:
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:36 am

Kovy27 wrote:

I should know better by now.
8-) :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:51 am

penny lane wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:

I should know better by now.
8-) :wink:

You would think so. :lol:
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby therock48880 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:04 am

Kovy27 wrote:
therock48880 wrote:One thing I want to point out before checking out. Matt Cooke is horrible!

I think your hatred for Matt Cooke is clouding your judgment there. Matt Cooke will fill in for what Ruutu did here...and I actually think do a better job. Time will tell...I guess.

Probably. I can't stand the guy. Not sure why, either.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby therock48880 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 am

penny lane wrote:When the penguins win their stanley cup I promise, here & now,
not to go sniffing out the opponent's home fans and demean them
or try to look brilliant while attempting to belittle them.

continue to make yourselves at home, we don't bite.

I haven't demeaned the Pens at all. I came here to try to get the reasoning behind why so many left. Turns out, other than Hossa, it was purely financial.

For what it's worth, I've been a visitor to this site and numerous other sites. (calgarypuck.com is the worst, imo) I find it interesting to read the perspectives of other teams' fans. I think a few of you think I came here to start trouble and that's not the case at all. I only decided to post this time to get clarification about the players leaving. Sorry to offend anyone, if I've done that.
therock48880
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins