Pens Jersey advice

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens Jersey advice

Postby Andre the Giant on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:04 am

Hey all, here's the scenerio. I've been a Pens fan since I was 10. Went the whole way through college only seeing two games in person. Once I got a job I spent all my "Pens Money" on game tickets. To make a long story short, I've been a fan for 17 years and have never owned a jersey.

But now is the time!

I was going to get an authentic from IceJerseys but they are out.

So my question to you all is what do you recommend style wise. Replica/Authentic? Is it worth it for the Authentic? Where is the best place (besides Pens Station)?

Is this one legit?

Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated!
Andre the Giant
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:23 am

A good site that i have purchased many jersey's from is here...

www.coolhockey.com

i have never gotten an authentic one though, i only buy replicas.. dont have enough money to buy authentics.. replicas imo are a better deal if you are giong to the games. This way if you spill beer and nachos on them its not all that bad.. :lol:
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MelicharSux on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:32 am

I'm thinking it's a replica jersey with the pro stitching that IceJerseys does..

If that is the case, buy it at IceJerseys - Its only ~$120.

Personally, I would not waste the money on an authentic.

edit: nm they sold out of all jerseys
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:35 am

Anybody think Whitney will be traded soon? I was thinking of getting a whitney replica.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Andre the Giant on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:40 am

pensfan20 wrote:A good site that i have purchased many jersey's from is here...

www.coolhockey.com

i have never gotten an authentic one though, i only buy replicas.. dont have enough money to buy authentics.. replicas imo are a better deal if you are giong to the games. This way if you spill beer and nachos on them its not all that bad.. :lol:

Oh man, you site still does the pre-edge jersey's! I think I might have a winner!
Andre the Giant
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Batman21 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:45 pm

After buying 2 authentics over the past few years, i wld only get a replica if it was a jersey of a team other then the pens. the authentics are def better quality and will last much longer than the replicas. as far at the premier jerseys go, they are paper thin and I can only imagine the poor shape one will be in after a few more seasons. you'll look back and wish u hadn't wasted over $100. if u're just looking for somehting to wear for 2 yrs and spill beer on, then replica go for the replica.

I'd keep an eye out for a good deal on an authentic - like the icejeresys one.
Batman21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:17 pm

You don't have to pay that much for a jersey...I was able to get one for like $75...you never ever have to pay that much for a jersey unless you are going for game worn (which are more expensive than that, of course, but, if you're throwing around big money on a jersey like that, you might as well swing for the fences)...

The jersey is a stock photo anyway, so you can't tell what its deal is...

How about this, you give $150 and I'll produce a black Fleury jersey for you! :P
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:19 pm

mikey287 wrote:You don't have to pay that much for a jersey...I was able to get one for like $75...you never ever have to pay that much for a jersey unless you are going for game worn (which are more expensive than that, of course, but, if you're throwing around big money on a jersey like that, you might as well swing for the fences)...

How about this, you give $150 and I'll produce a black Fleury jersey for you! :P

You are all about easy money and ripping people off, aren't you?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Kicksave wrote:
mikey287 wrote:You don't have to pay that much for a jersey...I was able to get one for like $75...you never ever have to pay that much for a jersey unless you are going for game worn (which are more expensive than that, of course, but, if you're throwing around big money on a jersey like that, you might as well swing for the fences)...

You are all about easy money and ripping people off, aren't you?

Short answer: Yes with a :pop:

Long answer: He's about to pay $200 for a jersey, I wouldn't be the one doing the ripping off...I could say "gimme $190" and then buy one of those chinese knockoffs for $60...that would be ripping someone off...I did no prior research, but I'm fairly certain I can achieve what he's looking for roughly $50 cheaper, if I can get one for even cheaper, awesome, he saves even more. If I can't, I don't want to make a promise that I can't cash...i.e. if I said, "I could probably get you one for $75" and then have someone get all excited about that notion and turnaround and go, "well, it ended up being twice as much...sorry." I'd rather offer a higher number and then if it ends up being even lower, that's bonus for him, if it's not, then it's what I said previously...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Pens Jersey advice

Postby lw27 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:54 pm

Andre the Giant wrote:Hey all, here's the scenerio. I've been a Pens fan since I was 10. Went the whole way through college only seeing two games in person. Once I got a job I spent all my "Pens Money" on game tickets. To make a long story short, I've been a fan for 17 years and have never owned a jersey.

But now is the time!

I was going to get an authentic from IceJerseys but they are out.

So my question to you all is what do you recommend style wise. Replica/Authentic? Is it worth it for the Authentic? Where is the best place (besides Pens Station)?

Is this one legit?

Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated!

i went through this same dilema last year and decided on the replica as opposed to the authentic. I was quite happy till Colby Armstrong got traded but i figure i can still wear that to games since he was a fan favorite and didn't pull a hossa or anything.
lw27
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:59 pm

I don't know if i'll ever buy one of the current jerseys, i have 2 of the previous ones that actually fit me then a throwback.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ossa on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:14 pm

Buy the Replica. Authentics are too much money and all they have is a stupid fight strap.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Batman21 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Ossa wrote:Buy the Replica. Authentics are too much money and all they have is a stupid fight strap.

Nothing to do with the fight strap -

Think about buying a polo style shirt from walmart or buying a LaCoste shirt. The walmart one gets the job done, but will fade and turn to shreds after a short while. the material in the authentics are completley different from the replicas and are much more durable. I have bought lots of jerseys over the past 20 yrs. It really depends on what u want the jersey for. to wear once in a while and if u dont care all that much about it being around for yrs, then the replica is fine. But if this is ur primary jersey that u put on a few times a week and want it to be around for more than a few yrs then spend the loot on the authentic.
Batman21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rohit on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:29 pm

i own an authentic and a replica and i personally like the replica better, just because the authentic is designed for actual use with pads and stuff and while mentioned is a lot more durable its also a lot bulkier and less comfortable IMO.

the replica is designed as casual wear for fans and i think they are more comfortable like lounge-wear

so my advice would be to get the replica
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Batman21 wrote:
Ossa wrote:Buy the Replica. Authentics are too much money and all they have is a stupid fight strap.

Think about buying a polo style shirt from walmart or buying a LaCoste shirt. The walmart one gets the job done, but will fade and turn to shreds after a short while. the material in the authentics are completley different from the replicas and are much more durable. I have bought lots of jerseys over the past 20 yrs. It really depends on what u want the jersey for. to wear once in a while and if u dont care all that much about it being around for yrs, then the replica is fine. But if this is ur primary jersey that u put on a few times a week and want it to be around for more than a few yrs then spend the loot on the authentic.

Well, speaking from the 90's CCM and Koho jerseys, the only significant difference (other than re-inforced elbows and shoulders and all that) is the fight strap...I've had more than 30 or 40 jerseys authentic and replica pass through my hands in the last 7 years or so, I noticed no significant difference betwee replica and authentic...in fact, all of my jerseys are replicas and I wear them from time to time and keep them hung up around my room/house the rest of the time and some I've had for 5+ years now and show no signs of wear and/or tear...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Batman21 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:14 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Batman21 wrote:

Well, speaking from the 90's CCM and Koho jerseys, the only significant difference (other than re-inforced elbows and shoulders and all that) is the fight strap...I've had more than 30 or 40 jerseys authentic and replica pass through my hands in the last 7 years or so, I noticed no significant difference betwee replica and authentic...in fact, all of my jerseys are replicas and I wear them from time to time and keep them hung up around my room/house the rest of the time and some I've had for 5+ years now and show no signs of wear and/or tear...

wait a min -

ur're saying that the cup era replica's are just as good quality as the ultrafill's? come on...
Batman21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:14 am

Batman21 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Batman21 wrote:

wait a min -

ur're saying that the cup era replica's are just as good quality as the ultrafill's? come on...

what is this "cup era" you refer to? Perhaps we're speaking of different timeframes?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:10 am

Get the chinese ebay jerseys. You can get one anywhere from $20-$80, they are at least as good as the replica reebok jerseys if not better and are good quality. I'd rather have 4 jerseys that your average fan can't tell the difference than one where pretty much only you know it cost you $150.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ossa on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:36 am

DelPen wrote:Get the chinese ebay jerseys. they are at least as good as the replica reebok jerseys if not better and are good quality.

:shock:

Lol, the replica reebok jerseys are 10 times better than the chinese ebay jerseys.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Andre the Giant on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:59 am

FYI, I ended up going with this oldy but goody in MAF
https://www.coolhockey.com/cart/item_de ... rgh&id=202
Also found a coupon code for free shipping (which was $18 since it was coming from canada) so not a bad deal.

I've worn the new ones and I just like the older ones much better. Thanks for the advice, and thanks to PF20 for the site. I'll let you all know how it is when I get my hands on it.
Andre the Giant
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:05 pm

I checked about 5 min ago, and those Chinese jerseys aren't even listed on eBay anymore.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:36 pm

Ossa wrote:
DelPen wrote:Get the chinese ebay jerseys. they are at least as good as the replica reebok jerseys if not better and are good quality.

:shock:

Lol, the replica reebok jerseys are 10 times better than the chinese ebay jerseys.

my winter classic chinese replica > reebok WC replica
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins