Penguins Trivia Part II - Who was the first...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins Trivia Part II - Who was the first...

Postby PenguinsChronicles.com on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:42 am

Pittsburgh Penguins player to get in a fight in team history?

Bonus: Name the opposing team and player.

Casey Samuelson
Owner / Webmaster - PenguinsChronicles.com
E-mail: webmaster@PenguinsChronicles.com
PenguinsChronicles.com
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Postby WWGRD on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:55 am

I know it's Andy Bathgate..
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,699
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Follow @EricP55

Postby shane613 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:34 pm

Tyler Kennedy

vs.

Mike Comrie

TRUF
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: New Kensington

Postby K2 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:41 pm

shane613 wrote:Tyler Kennedy

vs.

Mike Comrie

TRUF


Coach Therrien, what do you think of this attempt at humor?

"Not impress"
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,898
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Kuhnhackl's German Army

Postby PenguinsChronicles.com on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:08 pm

It was NOT Andy Bathgate. His first fighting major, the second in team history, was on Saturday, November 4, 1967 at Oakland. He fought Seals defenseman Kent Douglas at 4:29 of the second period. Douglas also received a 10-minute misconduct and Penguins defenseman Dunc McCallum was sent to the penalty box for cross-checking at the same time.

shane613,

As immature as your guess was, it was remarkably close to the opposing player and team.

LETS GO PENS!

Casey Samuelson
Owner / Webmaster - PenguinsChronicles.com
E-mail: webmaster@PenguinsChronicles.com
PenguinsChronicles.com
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Postby WWGRD on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:28 pm

K2 wrote:
shane613 wrote:Tyler Kennedy

vs.

Mike Comrie

TRUF


Coach Therrien, what do you think of this attempt at humor?

"Not impress"


lol
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,699
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Follow @EricP55

Postby JeanPronovost on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:51 pm

How about the immortal Leo Boivan?
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 3:56 pm
Location: Cedar Hill, TX

Postby PenguinsChronicles.com on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:31 pm

JeanPronovost wrote:How about the immortal Leo Boivan?


It was not Leo Boivin.

Casey Samuelson
Owner / Webmaster - PenguinsChronicles.com
E-mail: webmaster@PenguinsChronicles.com
PenguinsChronicles.com
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Schinkel?
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Postby PenguinsChronicles.com on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:56 pm

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:Schinkel?


Nope.

Casey Samuelson
Owner / Webmaster - PenguinsChronicles.com
E-mail: webmaster@PenguinsChronicles.com
PenguinsChronicles.com
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Postby WWGRD on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:49 pm

PenguinsChronicles.com wrote:It was NOT Andy Bathgate. His first fighting major, the second in team history, was on Saturday, November 4, 1967 at Oakland. He fought Seals defenseman Kent Douglas at 4:29 of the second period. Douglas also received a 10-minute misconduct and Penguins defenseman Dunc McCallum was sent to the penalty box for cross-checking at the same time.


Not according to this

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/TeamSe ... 968&Team=5

How do you know?
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,699
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Follow @EricP55

Postby crayz on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:03 pm

I would guess either Dunc McCallum or Keith McCreary
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,710
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:17 pm
Location: Remember the Pav!

Postby PenguinsChronicles.com on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:57 pm

WWGRD wrote:
PenguinsChronicles.com wrote:It was NOT Andy Bathgate. His first fighting major, the second in team history, was on Saturday, November 4, 1967 at Oakland. He fought Seals defenseman Kent Douglas at 4:29 of the second period. Douglas also received a 10-minute misconduct and Penguins defenseman Dunc McCallum was sent to the penalty box for cross-checking at the same time.


Not according to this

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/TeamSe ... 968&Team=5

How do you know?


Michael Scott: Okay I want you to be Darryl and ask me for a raise because I need to try out some of these negotiation tactics on you.

Jim Halpert: Where'd you get that?

Michael Scott: Wikipedia.

[cut to interview]

Michael Scott: Wikipedia. Is the best thing ever. Anyone, in the world, can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.

Moral of this story...don't believe everything you read online. I will trust the official scoresheet.

As I noted above, Andy Bathgate had the second fight in team history.

It was not McCallum or McCreary.

Any more guesses?

LETS GO PENS!

Casey Samuelson
Owner / Webmaster - PenguinsChronicles.com
E-mail: webmaster@PenguinsChronicles.com
PenguinsChronicles.com
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Postby WWGRD on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:58 pm

PenguinsChronicles.com wrote:
WWGRD wrote:
PenguinsChronicles.com wrote:It was NOT Andy Bathgate. His first fighting major, the second in team history, was on Saturday, November 4, 1967 at Oakland. He fought Seals defenseman Kent Douglas at 4:29 of the second period. Douglas also received a 10-minute misconduct and Penguins defenseman Dunc McCallum was sent to the penalty box for cross-checking at the same time.


Not according to this

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/TeamSe ... 968&Team=5

How do you know?


Michael Scott: Okay I want you to be Darryl and ask me for a raise because I need to try out some of these negotiation tactics on you.

Jim Halpert: Where'd you get that?

Michael Scott: Wikipedia.

[cut to interview]

Michael Scott: Wikipedia. Is the best thing ever. Anyone, in the world, can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.

Moral of this story...don't believe everything you read online. I will trust the official scoresheet.

As I noted above, Andy Bathgate had the second fight in team history.

It was not McCallum or McCreary.

Any more guesses?

LETS GO PENS!



What? Shameless plug?
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,699
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Follow @EricP55

Postby PenguinsChronicles.com on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:50 am

Don't be upset that I posted a good trivia question that requires more than an incomplete fight website...and that you are gullible.
PenguinsChronicles.com
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:04 am

This topic is the reason that I hate trivia. Too much focus on inane facts that are difficult to figure out for the sake of being difficult to figure out. The other question was interesting though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,559
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby guiner on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:21 am

Idoit40fans wrote:This topic is the reason that I hate trivia. Too much focus on inane facts that are difficult to figure out for the sake of being difficult to figure out. The other question was interesting though.


Agree. Add too it the overt plugging of a website that doesn't exist, toss in a dash of acting like a tool. Its a recipe for being totally annoying!
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,048
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Cobb Mountain, CA

Postby Kicksave on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:26 am

guiner wrote:Agree. Add too it the overt plugging of a website that doesn't exist, toss in a dash of acting like a tool. Its a recipe for being totally annoying!


You summed everything I wanted to say and did so in a very precise and eloquent fashion.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Postby columbia on Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:33 am

guiner wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:This topic is the reason that I hate trivia. Too much focus on inane facts that are difficult to figure out for the sake of being difficult to figure out. The other question was interesting though.


Agree. Add too it the overt plugging of a website that doesn't exist, toss in a dash of acting like a tool. Its a recipe for being totally annoying!


You mean I shouldn't start posting trivia questions and plugging:
www.ipretendtoknowmoreinanetrivialfactsaboutthepenguinsthanyoudo.com
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,684
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Postby Tico Rick on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:55 pm

Val Fontaine! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,150
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Postby Stillwag on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:56 pm

That's some fine web design over at penguinschronicles. My 6 year old cousin could do significantly better. It's only a placeholder, and it looks liek garbage. Someone should let him know the summer of 08 is winding down, he might want to get the site running soon.
Stillwag
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:54 am
Location: North Hills

Postby WWGRD on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:23 pm

PenguinsChronicles.com wrote:Don't be upset that I posted a good trivia question that requires more than an incomplete fight website...and that you are gullible.


I'm just upset that you're plugging a website that isn't even a website. You're signature is beyond annoying, and no one is going to e-mail you. If you read above also, you will see how everyone feels as well. Get off of the board.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,699
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Follow @EricP55

Postby PenguinsChronicles.com on Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:21 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Val Fontaine! :lol: :lol: :lol:


It was not Val Fonteyne...obviously.
PenguinsChronicles.com
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Chinstrap Penguin beat down Puffin playing for A Giant Iceberg. Definitely the first penguin fight. They found fossils of Puffin...that poor guy.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,809
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: Dallas

Postby guiner on Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:30 pm

Stillwag wrote:That's some fine web design over at penguinschronicles. My 6 year old cousin could do significantly better. It's only a placeholder, and it looks liek garbage. Someone should let him know the summer of 08 is winding down, he might want to get the site running soon.


Whoa, it is so MUCH more than a placeholder, all one needs to do is do a google search to find the most important stuff is already done. The stuff about himself.

I'm ashamed and humbled, I didnt recognize that I was in the presence of "THE authority on penguins lore." :roll:

http://www.penguinschronicles.com/aboutus.html
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,048
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Cobb Mountain, CA

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

e-mail