Goalie Equipment

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Goalie Equipment

Postby #1Pens522 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:12 pm

Firstly, have the new dimensions for goaltenders' equipment been decided for the 08-09 season?

Secondly, how much of an effect do you think smaller pads would have on Fleury's play?
#1Pens522

Postby WWGRD on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:17 pm

Obviously, Fleury will be worse with smaller pads.

They're smaller.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby The Joker on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:18 pm

#1Pens522 wrote:Firstly, have the new dimensions for goaltenders' equipment been decided for the 08-09 season?

Secondly, how much of an effect do you think smaller pads would have on Fleury's play?

Fleury's never been one of those J.S. Giguere guys who looks like the Abominable Snowman in net. With his great quickness and lateral mobility, he'll be fine.
The Joker

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:18 pm

He should definitely be better of than many goalies.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:39 pm

Fleury will be positively impacted or not impacted at all by any changes made...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby demangone on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:19 pm

People like Gerber will be affected by the changes, Fleury won't.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Joker on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:20 pm

demangone wrote:People like Gerber will be affected by the changes, Fleury won't.

Gerber has to make reservations to get to the other side of the net.
The Joker

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:33 pm

Biff83 wrote:were there any changes?

Not yet, Garth Snow is on the committee, so if anything, the nets will get smaller, the pads will get bigger and we'll replace pucks with beachballs...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby kovyman1127 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Actually...they are making "modest" changes this year...the bigger equipment changes are slated for the 09-10 season.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:33 pm

mikey287 wrote:

Not yet, Garth Snow is on the committee, so if anything, the nets will get smaller, the pads will get bigger and we'll replace pucks with beachballs...

And Snow would still be lucky to make a save
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Joker on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:37 pm

mikey287 wrote:

I guess this is obligatory for a post like this,

The Joker

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:07 am

I wonder how many goalies this will put "out of business."
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:22 am

tombarrassorules wrote:i heard that they are going to redesign the equipment completely. instead of just simply reducing the size, they're going to redesign the way the equipment is built and fits so that it provides the same protection but its much smaller. this is particullary the upper body area and the pants. i think i found an article on that on kuklas korner a while back.

The blockers and gloves could definately be shrinked. But as far as other reductions, I think the NHL needs to get rid of the composite sticks that everyone is using because they are proven to create harder shots. There's always some risk involved in getting hit in an unprotected area but when everyone can plast 85 MPH slap shots that risk is magnified. When you narrow that down to a lot fewer people then we can talk about reducing the sizes of the arm and chest pads.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby demangone on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:48 am

I think they should also reduce the number of scrums that Osgood instigates by egging an opposing player into hitting him in the chest pad.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:31 am

DelPen wrote:
tombarrassorules wrote:i heard that they are going to redesign the equipment completely. instead of just simply reducing the size, they're going to redesign the way the equipment is built and fits so that it provides the same protection but its much smaller. this is particullary the upper body area and the pants. i think i found an article on that on kuklas korner a while back.

The blockers and gloves could definately be shrinked. But as far as other reductions, I think the NHL needs to get rid of the composite sticks that everyone is using because they are proven to create harder shots. There's always some risk involved in getting hit in an unprotected area but when everyone can plast 85 MPH slap shots that risk is magnified. When you narrow that down to a lot fewer people then we can talk about reducing the sizes of the arm and chest pads.

You can effectively trim down the size of arm and chest protectors and still protect the goalie...which should be the first priority...J.S. Giguere, for instance, does not have a chest protector, he has a net protector...there's a big difference...look at Evgeni Nabokov, it looks like he's pregnant, but that's legitimate padding there, and it doesn't give him a distinct advantage, and he's protected...goalies like Giguere have their shoulder pads go up to their ears, I have all the same body parts he does, and nothing's there...

It's very reasonable to believe that you can slim down equipment (ALL of it) and still protect the players just fine...the reason why I know, is because some goalies are sportsmanlike enough to do it already...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Joker on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:04 pm

Daniel87 wrote:I wonder how many goalies this will put "out of business."

Lundqvist already gets beat high way too much, without the chest protector that extends to the earlobe, the water bottle is going to look like a Mexican jumping bean.
The Joker

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:38 pm

The Joker wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:I wonder how many goalies this will put "out of business."

Lundqvist already gets beat high way too much, without the chest protector that extends to the earlobe, the water bottle is going to look like a Mexican jumping bean.

I think Lundqvist's biggest issue is his thighrisers and STILL allowing five-hole goals...I think his problem is and will continue to be, he feels so secure in his "cheaters" on his pads that he hasn't learned the proper time to push off and explode from side to side...he's so over-confident in his pad size that he's losing technical skill...and God help him if they shrink the pads, because now he's even less protected in that regard...

Don't get me wrong, I think Lundqvist is talented, from the very first game I saw of his, I told my friend, "watch this guy, he's gonna be one heck of a goalie...and soon." but, he has some issues for sure, and they will be exacerbated by shrinking equipment...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:52 pm

I don't have an 85 mph slap shot with my composite :(
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby steelhammer on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:50 am

shrinking the pads is bullcrap. the future of NHL goaltending is going to be those 6'8" monsters who will inevitably cover more area than a smaller goalie with current pad sizes ever will. where are the haters when forwards are using 150 flex sticks and skates with a battery pack that heats the blade during play.

the difference between then and now is that the worst goalies in the league would be top 5 back in the 80's and the top 5 (except maybe Roy) of the 80's would be lucky to make an AHL team.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:13 pm

steelhammer wrote:shrinking the pads is bullcrap. the future of NHL goaltending is going to be those 6'8" monsters who will inevitably cover more area than a smaller goalie with current pad sizes ever will. where are the haters when forwards are using 150 flex sticks and skates with a battery pack that heats the blade during play.

the difference between then and now is that the worst goalies in the league would be top 5 back in the 80's and the top 5 (except maybe Roy) of the 80's would be lucky to make an AHL team.

goalies (and defensemen moreso) are definitely better than in the 80's, but dude, look at the tape. the pad size is significantly different now. defenses are too good these days to get the scoring to where it was, but shrinking the pads will help, even with your hypothetical "monsters"
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:22 pm

The Joker wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

I guess this is obligatory for a post like this,

and don't forget this one

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:39 pm

shmenguin wrote:
steelhammer wrote:shrinking the pads is bullcrap. the future of NHL goaltending is going to be those 6'8" monsters who will inevitably cover more area than a smaller goalie with current pad sizes ever will. where are the haters when forwards are using 150 flex sticks and skates with a battery pack that heats the blade during play.

goalies (and defensemen moreso) are definitely better than in the 80's, but dude, look at the tape. the pad size is significantly different now. defenses are too good these days to get the scoring to where it was, but shrinking the pads will help, even with your hypothetical "monsters"

it won't help. all it will do is pretty much eliminate any goalie who is under 6'2". the influx of the 6'8" goalies will more than make up for the pad shrinking. it is not a hypothetical scenario, goalies have been getting taller every year. all this does is make the gap between a 6'6" goalie and a 5'10" goalie that much more drastic.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:55 pm

Remind me again why tall goalies didn't already have the advantage?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins