Depth at center

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Depth at center

Postby DelPen on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:08 pm

After Malkin and Crosby who do we have that can play center?

Staal obviously but he could be moved to LW on one of the scoring lines. So who does that leave to round out the checking lines?

Talbot, Cooke, Kennedy amd Beech? Talbot and beech have played mostly center but both Cooke and kennedy are also listed as centers.

Anyone know the last time eithe rplayed center?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,014
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:10 pm

I thought I remember TK being a center for Sault Ste. Marie or where ever he played junior, but that was a while ago now...

Cooke I predominantly remember as a LW...

But positions are so fluid and players so versatile anymore, it doesn't make the biggest of differences with all players...some players can only play one forward position, yes, but, just sayin...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,917
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:13 pm

I don't think it really matters. Even Malkin won't always be at center because there will be those times when he's matched with Crosby. Staal will see time as second and third line center. Talbot will see time as third and fourth line center. Both of those guys will see time on the wings. They can plug Kennedy, Stone, Beech, and Taffe at center (if the latter three end up on the team at any point).
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby KG on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:34 pm

Crosby
Malkin
Staal
Talbot
Taffe

If we added another winger then we can keep Staal/Talbot at C...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Postby eastonpensfan on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:23 pm

Kennedy was a center before being converted last year to a wing in WBS and then making the Pitt squad. Stone was a center until being converted to LW in WBS. Taffe, Beech, Thomas can all play center. I don't think depth at center is something that any of us need to be worried about.
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,442
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: on the Professional Noodling Tour

Postby DelPen on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:47 am

eastonpensfan wrote:Kennedy was a center before being converted last year to a wing in WBS and then making the Pitt squad. Stone was a center until being converted to LW in WBS. Taffe, Beech, Thomas can all play center. I don't think depth at center is something that any of us need to be worried about.


I guess what I was getting at is if Cooke and/or Kennedy could center the 4th line with Godard on wing. Of course I only see that as necessary if Pesonen makes the top 12 and Staal is moved to LW. Otherwise we will probaby see Malkin-Crosby-Staal-Talbot down the middle.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,014
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby Corvidae on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:55 am

I think Stone could see some more NHL action this year. Maybe Stone flanked by TK and Godard? That would be quite a nasty line.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,108
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:47 am

Postby Kraftster on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:38 am

DelPen wrote:
eastonpensfan wrote:Kennedy was a center before being converted last year to a wing in WBS and then making the Pitt squad. Stone was a center until being converted to LW in WBS. Taffe, Beech, Thomas can all play center. I don't think depth at center is something that any of us need to be worried about.


I guess what I was getting at is if Cooke and/or Kennedy could center the 4th line with Godard on wing. Of course I only see that as necessary if Pesonen makes the top 12 and Staal is moved to LW. Otherwise we will probaby see Malkin-Crosby-Staal-Talbot down the middle.


Eh, I'd rather see Talbot on a Third line wing and Taffe centering the fourth.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,103
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Postby GloryDays99 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:58 pm

Kraftster wrote:
DelPen wrote:
eastonpensfan wrote:Kennedy was a center before being converted last year to a wing in WBS and then making the Pitt squad. Stone was a center until being converted to LW in WBS. Taffe, Beech, Thomas can all play center. I don't think depth at center is something that any of us need to be worried about.


I guess what I was getting at is if Cooke and/or Kennedy could center the 4th line with Godard on wing. Of course I only see that as necessary if Pesonen makes the top 12 and Staal is moved to LW. Otherwise we will probaby see Malkin-Crosby-Staal-Talbot down the middle.


Eh, I'd rather see Talbot on a Third line wing and Taffe centering the fourth.


I agree, and I think that will be the case.
GloryDays99
 

Postby demangone on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:46 pm

Isn't Kennedy right handed? Pair him up on a line with Lefty (not hard to do), and depending on where the faceoff is, use him as a center like we used Hall. I doubt Staal will be playing anything but wing this year, so I'd like to see Crosby, Malkin, Talbot/Kennedy, and Taffe/Beech as our centers.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:09 pm
Location: Norfside, Pixburgh

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:55 am

demangone wrote:Isn't Kennedy right handed? Pair him up on a line with Lefty (not hard to do), and depending on where the faceoff is, use him as a center like we used Hall. I doubt Staal will be playing anything but wing this year, so I'd like to see Crosby, Malkin, Talbot/Kennedy, and Taffe/Beech as our centers.




Eck. That looks like a recipe for a faceoff win % in the 40's to me.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Washington DC

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:04 pm

Jake wrote:
demangone wrote:Isn't Kennedy right handed? Pair him up on a line with Lefty (not hard to do), and depending on where the faceoff is, use him as a center like we used Hall. I doubt Staal will be playing anything but wing this year, so I'd like to see Crosby, Malkin, Talbot/Kennedy, and Taffe/Beech as our centers.

Yeah, the only one of those guys that can win more than he loses is Crosby.

Staal figures to be a good faceoff guy is his playoff performance is any indication. If we are going to move him to wing, at least make him take the faceoffs on whatever line he's on.


If he is playing wing, it will be with Malkin or Crosby. Both of whom are ahead of him as centers depthwise. So Crosby is going to be taking the faceoffs because he is better and Malkin is because the only way you get better at faceoffs is to do them. Maybe in a tight situation in the offensive zone it makes sense for Staal to take it and win it towards Malkin, but its an unlikely scenario when they have to score to stay in the game and Crosby isn't in there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,244
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:22 pm

Jake wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Jake wrote:
demangone wrote:Isn't Kennedy right handed? Pair him up on a line with Lefty (not hard to do), and depending on where the faceoff is, use him as a center like we used Hall. I doubt Staal will be playing anything but wing this year, so I'd like to see Crosby, Malkin, Talbot/Kennedy, and Taffe/Beech as our centers.

Yeah, the only one of those guys that can win more than he loses is Crosby.

Staal figures to be a good faceoff guy is his playoff performance is any indication. If we are going to move him to wing, at least make him take the faceoffs on whatever line he's on.


If he is playing wing, it will be with Malkin or Crosby. Both of whom are ahead of him as centers depthwise. So Crosby is going to be taking the faceoffs because he is better and Malkin is because the only way you get better at faceoffs is to do them. Maybe in a tight situation in the offensive zone it makes sense for Staal to take it and win it towards Malkin, but its an unlikely scenario when they have to score to stay in the game and Crosby isn't in there.


All the more reason to keep Staal at center on the 3rd line.

There is only one reason to keep him at center on the 3rd line. And that would be if he shows that he can't put the puck in the back of the net again.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,244
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:15 pm

Jake wrote:He can create plenty of offense on his own playing his natural position on the 3rd line.


The team can create more offense if he can finish like he did 2 seasons ago and play with malkin or crosby. Not even the people that think Staal should play 3rd line center will argue with that point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,244
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:25 pm

We have the best group of centers in the league. Well, actually I take that back. Montreal does, but we are close second.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,429
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:29 pm

farnham16 wrote:We have the best group of centers in the league. Well, actually I take that back. Montreal does, but we are close second.


Plekanec and Koivu > Crosby and Malkin > Thornton and Marleau?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,917
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:40 pm

mikey287 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:We have the best group of centers in the league. Well, actually I take that back. Montreal does, but we are close second.


Plekanec and Koivu > Crosby and Malkin > Thornton and Marleau?


Yep. Even Mike Milbury can see that.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,429
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Postby The Joker on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:59 pm

farnham16 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:We have the best group of centers in the league. Well, actually I take that back. Montreal does, but we are close second.


Plekanec and Koivu > Crosby and Malkin > Thornton and Marleau?


Yep. Even Mike Milbury can see that.


For those of us who have Center Ice, we'll get to see a lot of more of Milbury's gems because he joined the HNIC crew. :cry:

Between his analysis during intermissions and Bob Cole's dementia, Saturday nights should be very entertaining.
The Joker
 

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:00 pm

farnham16 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:We have the best group of centers in the league. Well, actually I take that back. Montreal does, but we are close second.


Plekanec and Koivu > Crosby and Malkin > Thornton and Marleau?


Yep. Even Mike Milbury can see that.


Touché...I figured sarcasm, but this offseason, you can never be too sure... :P

Seriously though, I'd go with Atlanta's centers though...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,917
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Postby The Joker on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:02 pm

mikey287 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:We have the best group of centers in the league. Well, actually I take that back. Montreal does, but we are close second.


Plekanec and Koivu > Crosby and Malkin > Thornton and Marleau?


Yep. Even Mike Milbury can see that.


Touché...I figured sarcasm, but this offseason, you can never be too sure... :P

Seriously though, I'd go with Atlanta's centers though...


Marty Reasoner and Todd White FTW
The Joker
 

Postby farnham16 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:09 pm

mikey287 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
farnham16 wrote:We have the best group of centers in the league. Well, actually I take that back. Montreal does, but we are close second.


Plekanec and Koivu > Crosby and Malkin > Thornton and Marleau?


Yep. Even Mike Milbury can see that.


Touché...I figured sarcasm, but this offseason, you can never be too sure... :P

Seriously though, I'd go with Atlanta's centers though...


I'd go with Atlanta's team. :)
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,429
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Postby Scott on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:15 am

Talbot IMO is the posterboy 3rd line center.

Staal is either a top two center or a top two line winger. Too much talent sitting there on a third line surrounded by third line talent.

Talbot...super speed so he is never really out of any defensive situation.
Gritty and just keeps coming. That is what you want from the 3rd line. Ugly goals and total pressure while the top two lines rest.

Perfect.

#11 belongs on the top two lines, PERIOD
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,921
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:17 am

I agree on talbot, someone here said it, he is just a 3rd liner. He isn't necesarily good enough to be on a scoring line, but he is way too good to be on the 4th line.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,244
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby Scott on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:29 am

got that right. And if you believe that, then you have to agree that Staal is too talented to sit on the thrid line.

Talbot is the super bonus third line center...Staal could be that monster that COULD...you guys got this...COULD....(meaning it is not a lock by any means) that makes the Marion Hossa no-sign a blessing in disguise. !!!! Meaning Staal equals or betters Hossa and we have the money to give him....

Think about it :)
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,921
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:39 am

Scott wrote:got that right. And if you believe that, then you have to agree that Staal is too talented to sit on the thrid line.

Talbot is the super bonus third line center...Staal could be that monster that COULD...you guys got this...COULD....(meaning it is not a lock by any means) that makes the Marion Hossa no-sign a blessing in disguise. !!!! Meaning Staal equals or betters Hossa and we have the money to give him....

Think about it :)


Well...Staal and Hossa play decidedly different games, but I get what you're going for...but let's remember Staal is just about to turn 20, right? For a power forward he is WAY WAY WAY ahead of the game...the fact that he wasn't a bust is a bonus, much less make an NHL team at 17...

I think Staal will be a 3rd line center will see some time at top-six wing this year...let him get a feel for it, let's see how he reacts when he's not the best player on the line, see how he reacts to the speed of Crosby and Malkin...people gotta understand, just because you play with Crosby doesn't mean you're a lock to get any certain point value...some players will surprise with how badly they are at reading Crosby and keeping up with him...some players will surprise you in the opposite direction (Andy Hilbert?)...

Just because Staal is talented and Crosby is super-talented doesn't mean that's a match...I think Staal might be a player that thrives when he lugs the puck up ice himself and he's the best player on the line so he can control the tempo...in the same way that Ryan Malone was...

Malone wasn't really made to play on a line with Crosby...too complicated, too fast...Malone was at his best when he could control the action, he had fantastic hands (extremely underrated in Penguin-land and across the league), I mean, look at some of his shorthanded goals (mainly against the Isles) on YouTube if you don't remember...incredible stuff...he's got plenty of talent, but he didn't work well with Crosby...

So...uh...yeah, consider that...because I have a bad feeling that'll be the source of Staal Slamming this year...his inability to work well with Crosby...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,917
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Admin, dodint, farnham16, Hugo Stiglitz, Luckybreak and 26 guests


e-mail