Depth at center

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:45 am

mikey287 wrote:
Scott wrote:got that right. And if you believe that, then you have to agree that Staal is too talented to sit on the thrid line.

Talbot is the super bonus third line center...Staal could be that monster that COULD...you guys got this...COULD....(meaning it is not a lock by any means) that makes the Marion Hossa no-sign a blessing in disguise. !!!! Meaning Staal equals or betters Hossa and we have the money to give him....

Think about it :)

Well...Staal and Hossa play decidedly different games, but I get what you're going for...but let's remember Staal is just about to turn 20, right? For a power forward he is WAY WAY WAY ahead of the game...the fact that he wasn't a bust is a bonus, much less make an NHL team at 17...

I think Staal will be a 3rd line center will see some time at top-six wing this year...let him get a feel for it, let's see how he reacts when he's not the best player on the line, see how he reacts to the speed of Crosby and Malkin...people gotta understand, just because you play with Crosby doesn't mean you're a lock to get any certain point value...some players will surprise with how badly they are at reading Crosby and keeping up with him...some players will surprise you in the opposite direction (Andy Hilbert?)...

Just because Staal is talented and Crosby is super-talented doesn't mean that's a match...I think Staal might be a player that thrives when he lugs the puck up ice himself and he's the best player on the line so he can control the tempo...in the same way that Ryan Malone was...

Malone wasn't really made to play on a line with Crosby...too complicated, too fast...Malone was at his best when he could control the action, he had fantastic hands (extremely underrated in Penguin-land and across the league), I mean, look at some of his shorthanded goals (mainly against the Isles) on YouTube if you don't remember...incredible stuff...he's got plenty of talent, but he didn't work well with Crosby...

So...uh...yeah, consider that...because I have a bad feeling that'll be the source of Staal Slamming this year...his inability to work well with Crosby...

Well, if I'm not mistaken, didn't Staal actually start the season on Crosby's wing? Or maybe that was just for preseason. Either way, it didn't last very long. Results this year could be different if Staal's body recaptures some of the overall coordination that it lost last season while he was growing.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:58 am

I read your post and immediately thought the following should be said...

mikey287 wrote:some players will surprise with how badly they are at reading Crosby and keeping up with him(Colby)...some players will surprise you in the opposite direction (Colby?)...
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Scott on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:07 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Scott wrote:got that right. And if you believe that, then you have to agree that Staal is too talented to sit on the thrid line.

Talbot is the super bonus third line center...Staal could be that monster that COULD...you guys got this...COULD....(meaning it is not a lock by any means) that makes the Marion Hossa no-sign a blessing in disguise. !!!! Meaning Staal equals or betters Hossa and we have the money to give him....

Well...Staal and Hossa play decidedly different games, but I get what you're going for...but let's remember Staal is just about to turn 20, right? For a power forward he is WAY WAY WAY ahead of the game...the fact that he wasn't a bust is a bonus, much less make an NHL team at 17...

I think Staal will be a 3rd line center will see some time at top-six wing this year...let him get a feel for it, let's see how he reacts when he's not the best player on the line, see how he reacts to the speed of Crosby and Malkin...people gotta understand, just because you play with Crosby doesn't mean you're a lock to get any certain point value...some players will surprise with how badly they are at reading Crosby and keeping up with him...some players will surprise you in the opposite direction (Andy Hilbert?)...

Just because Staal is talented and Crosby is super-talented doesn't mean that's a match...I think Staal might be a player that thrives when he lugs the puck up ice himself and he's the best player on the line so he can control the tempo...in the same way that Ryan Malone was...

Malone wasn't really made to play on a line with Crosby...too complicated, too fast...Malone was at his best when he could control the action, he had fantastic hands (extremely underrated in Penguin-land and across the league), I mean, look at some of his shorthanded goals (mainly against the Isles) on YouTube if you don't remember...incredible stuff...he's got plenty of talent, but he didn't work well with Crosby...

So...uh...yeah, consider that...because I have a bad feeling that'll be the source of Staal Slamming this year...his inability to work well with Crosby...

Let him get a feel for it?
He nearly played his entire rookie year on the second line (top six) and fit in quite well.

Staal might be a top 1 or 2 center or other teams, but on this team you are capping his talent by sitting him on the third line.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Joker on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:11 pm

Scott wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

Let him get a feel for it?
He nearly played his entire rookie year on the second line (top six) and fit in quite well.

Staal might be a top 1 or 2 center or other teams, but on this team you are capping his talent by sitting him on the third line.

I don't get the people who say Staal will be wasted on the third line. He'll be the best 3rd line center in hockey and will be on the ice in almost all important defensive situations. Some people have to realize that he'll be on the ice for important faceoffs late, the first power play, and the penalty kill. He'll be on the 3rd line technically but he'll be getting 1st and 2nd line minutes every night. Hell, a few times in the playoffs he was the ice time leader for the Pens.
The Joker

Postby demangone on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:31 pm

sometimes Malone had the soft hands and skill and other times he looked like Orpik coming out of the penalty box on a breakaway. 06-07 was a completely different Malone than 07-08. Maybe the marriage, kid, starting a family thing got him a little more focused, but I saw him skate past the goalie quite a few times on a breakaway without shooting, or just bobbling the puck in 06-07. Staal has the benefit of having an entire career ahead of him to get better. When he's Malone's age he'll be putting up Iginla numbers. Malone is about to peak, if he hasn't already, he'll definitely be a minus though, playing with Tampa's D and goaltending. I don't know if I see Staal as quite the playmaker, as I see him as the guy to sweep in some garbage and finish the play. Winger instead of center. Put him on Malkin's line with Sykora, and he'll have a minimum of 30 goals this year.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:15 pm

The Joker wrote:
I don't get the people who say Staal will be wasted on the third line. He'll be the best 3rd line center in hockey and will be on the ice in almost all important defensive situations. Some people have to realize that he'll be on the ice for important faceoffs late, the first power play, and the penalty kill. He'll be on the 3rd line technically but he'll be getting 1st and 2nd line minutes every night. Hell, a few times in the playoffs he was the ice time leader for the Pens.

If Staal is centering the third line, he will not see #1 PP time. If Staal is on the third line again and on the # 1 PP unit.... you realize if Staal, malkin and Crosby are on the #1 unit, after the PP is over you will have to go to the 4th line right away all the time.

If Talbot centers that third line, then you can have Staal on the #1 PP which you want. Most teams have their top line come on the ice right after killing a penalty. You always want your 4th line out there against the other teams top line?

Move Staal up to a top two wing spot and get him on the #1 PP. Watch the Pens have the #1 scoring team in the NHL. GAA will not suffer that much either.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins