Since there isn't a lot to talk about....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:07 pm

crzymike wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Alright...I've got a proposal that no one here will like except me...

Pittsburgh gets:
Jay Bouwmeester (signed to at least a 6 year deal...or more.)
David Booth
Rights to Janis Sprukts (I have my reasons, just go with me, I know you've never heard of him)

Florida gets:
Ryan Whitney
Jordan Staal
5th round pick in 2009 (that becomes a 4th round pick if Sprukts signs)

I think I'd take that.
In fairness Mikey, how could we come up with an informed opinion on a trade where by one guy isnt really on the radar? Booth looks to be a good young player and we know what JB's all about but this other guy, I admit I haven't heard of.

Well, Sprukts isn't a meaningful part of the deal...he's a non-issue...but as a [pretend] GM, I'm a big time asset manager and bringing in someone like Sprukts to replace Staal is something that I would try for...

The deal with Sprukts is, he's big and very strong (6'4" 235 lbs. or so)...he's more of a playmaker, but he will go hard to the net to get goals...he doesn't mind being stationed in front...his vision pretty good as well...he's not very flashy, but he uses his body to shield off would-be challengers...his biggest weakness is his skating...he takes powerful strides but his acceleration is poor and his speed is barely average...

But he's about as refined as he can be (he's 26 already) and he has experience at all levels...two point per game + seasons in the QMJHL, played in Latvia, played in Belarus, 28 points in 35 games in Finland's top league, point per game in the AHL, 13 NHL games, back in Finland last year for Lukko Rauma, World Championships experience with Latvia...

There's a chance that he becomes a 4th line center that can kill penalties and use his size to effectively close off passing lanes...it would allow Talbot to move up to third line center...also, Bouwmeester is a top 10 or 15 defensemen in the league already, and he has untapped offensive potential (still) and Booth is a hard-working two-way player...so the defense that we lose in Staal is covered, the offense that we lose in Whitney is roughly covered, we gain a good two-way winger capable of Malone-numbers, and we might get a big 4th line forward that could add valuable size to the bottom six if Sprukts comes over...if not, that's okay too...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:30 pm

mikey287 wrote:
crzymike wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Alright...I've got a proposal that no one here will like except me...

Pittsburgh gets:
David Booth
Rights to Janis Sprukts (I have my reasons, just go with me, I know you've never heard of him)

Florida gets:
Ryan Whitney
Jordan Staal

I think I'd take that.
In fairness Mikey, how could we come up with an informed opinion on a trade where by one guy isnt really on the radar? Booth looks to be a good young player and we know what JB's all about but this other guy, I admit I haven't heard of.

Well, Sprukts isn't a meaningful part of the deal...he's a non-issue...but as a [pretend] GM, I'm a big time asset manager and bringing in someone like Sprukts to replace Staal is something that I would try for...

The deal with Sprukts is, he's big and very strong (6'4" 235 lbs. or so)...he's more of a playmaker, but he will go hard to the net to get goals...he doesn't mind being stationed in front...his vision pretty good as well...he's not very flashy, but he uses his body to shield off would-be challengers...his biggest weakness is his skating...he takes powerful strides but his acceleration is poor and his speed is barely average...

But he's about as refined as he can be (he's 26 already) and he has experience at all levels...two point per game + seasons in the QMJHL, played in Latvia, played in Belarus, 28 points in 35 games in Finland's top league, point per game in the AHL, 13 NHL games, back in Finland last year for Lukko Rauma, World Championships experience with Latvia...

There's a chance that he becomes a 4th line center that can kill penalties and use his size to effectively close off passing lanes...it would allow Talbot to move up to third line center...also, Bouwmeester is a top 10 or 15 defensemen in the league already, and he has untapped offensive potential (still) and Booth is a hard-working two-way player...so the defense that we lose in Staal is covered, the offense that we lose in Whitney is roughly covered, we gain a good two-way winger capable of Malone-numbers, and we might get a big 4th line forward that could add valuable size to the bottom six if Sprukts comes over...if not, that's okay too...

Wake up RS!

I think I might kinda mean that one.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:22 pm

Pittsburgh gets:
David Booth

Florida gets:
Ryan Whitney
Jordan Staal

I think I'd take that.

I was thinking something like Gonchar and Staal in exchange for Bouwmeester and Booth
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:28 pm

Gonchar is untouchable to me right now...he was our best offensive and defensive defenseman on the whole last year...

Not to mention the whole Russian thing with Malkin...I want to keep Malkin as comfortable as possible...in fact, if I'm the GM of the Penguins, I would probably bring Gonchar and especially Malkin up to my office and routinely ask him if everything's alright, is there a player that you'd really like to have here? Chistov? Saprykin? Etc...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:42 pm

mikey287 wrote:Gonchar is untouchable to me right now...he was our best offensive and defensive defenseman on the whole last year...

Not to mention the whole Russian thing with Malkin...I want to keep Malkin as comfortable as possible...in fact, if I'm the GM of the Penguins, I would probably bring Gonchar and especially Malkin up to my office and routinely ask him if everything's alright, is there a player that you'd really like to have here? Chistov? Saprykin? Etc...

Don't forget Afinogenov
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:01 pm

columbia wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Gonchar is untouchable to me right now...he was our best offensive and defensive defenseman on the whole last year...

Don't forget Afinogenov

Oh baby, Max is nasty!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby K2 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:04 pm

Pittsburgh gets:
David Booth

Florida gets:
Ryan Whitney
Jordan Staal

I think I'd take that.

Mikey, I love that proposal...I made an almost identical one a few months back that was shot down in flames by a few posters. I'd do that in a heartbeat
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:31 am

There's untouchable, then there's spoiled. We want the guy to feel welcome and comfortable, not like the world exists at his whim.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:51 am

Mongoose87 wrote:

There's untouchable, then there's spoiled. We want the guy to feel welcome and comfortable, not like the world exists at his whim.

I think, if I was the GM, there would be certain players that would get called up to the office (namely, Crosby, Malkin and Fleury) to ask what they think about the direction of the team, what players they'd like to see on the team, etc.

In a similar fashion to Martin Brodeur's say in New Jersey...he was the reason they acquired Joe Nieuwendyk at the deadline before winning the Cup...

It's not about catering to him, but I would like two of the best players in the world and two of the most important players on the team to have some sort of value in discussions...

Just my philosophy...or intended philosophy...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:05 am

mikey287 wrote:
Mongoose87 wrote:

I think, if I was the GM, there would be certain players that would get called up to the office (namely, Crosby, Malkin and Fleury) to ask what they think about the direction of the team, what players they'd like to see on the team, etc.

In a similar fashion to Martin Brodeur's say in New Jersey...he was the reason they acquired Joe Nieuwendyk at the deadline before winning the Cup...

I could see the responses now:

Crosby: "I'd really like to see Brendan Morrow on my wing."

Malkin: "How you say...Kovalchuk?"

Fleury: "Well...like...you know...Phaneuf would be nice."

:D
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:15 pm

I think Gonchar is a big part of this team, but Gonchar has two years left on his contract. He's at the top of his game right now which makes him a hot commodity. He is not going to be signing another contract for 5 mill. Britney's in, Letang is just getting his feet wet and Gogo is in the on-deck circle. As important as Gonchar is we're talking about JB, who could very well develop into another Nic Lidstrom, right about the time Gonchar is walking away for nothing.

Of course this is all just fantasy talk in the middle of summer, but if the Pens were going to make a serious pitch for JB, it would have to be Staal and one of the high paid blueliners. Staal and Gonchar make sense because JB can probably be locked up long term (along with Booth) for the same dollars that Gonchar and Staal will get. Staal is the odd man out, Talbot takes the 3rd center, Booth fills in Crosby's wing and we've got a legit shutdown future Norris trophy winner who can play 27 minutes a night.

The reality is however that Florida will hold on to him until March at which time they will throw him up to the highest bidder. I would guess, they will be looking for a Hossa-like return. There are not too many Jay Bouwmeester's in the league.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:55 pm

Whitney and Letang aren't solid enough on top two pairings for Gogo to come up to the team yet.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:41 pm

I agree with ya ,MIkey.. I think that would be really good trade for both teams.. ANd Buwie is a all-star d-man.. I would give Whitney and something anytime for Jay..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins