Does Satan have the speed to play with Crosby?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Does Satan have the speed to play with Crosby?

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:25 pm

just wondering.

Also is he the type of player that goes in the corners or is he a floater?
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 pm

Yes on speed I would say, not to corners, but yes to sniping g's in front of the net.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:35 pm

Great speed, great shot, won't work the corners or boards. Think Sykora.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Jose hit it on the head.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Most importantly he looks as evil as his name indicates he should.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Yeah, provided he's motivated playing for a winner...on the Islanders, he was lazy, and you could tell...if he transforms from "twilight Mogilny" to "current Sykora" I'll be happy...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:00 pm

I would think he's a better all-around player than Sykora...or at least he has a better looking resume (last year non-withstanding.)

Am I right?
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:05 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:Great speed, great shot, won't work the corners or boards. Think Sykora.

Or Palffy.

Oh heavens, please not Palffy.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:08 pm

Pens15 wrote:I would think he's a better all-around player than Sykora...or at least he has a better looking resume (last year non-withstanding.)

Am I right?

I believe he his better overall than Sykora. He's got a slick shot and is unbelievable on breakaways and in shootouts.

I don't remember how good he was defensively with the Sabres, can anyone help me out on that? I pretty much don't consider any years played for the Islanders.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Eismann on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:08 pm

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, provided he's motivated playing for a winner...on the Islanders, he was lazy, and you could tell...if he transforms from "twilight Mogilny" to "current Sykora" I'll be happy...

I'm still reticent on the fit with Sid because of MS's lack of board strength and the Pens' general offensive tendencies. If the Pens continue to be predominantly dump-and-turnover, they'll need great board work. If MS isn't that guy, he won't be as effective as we'd hope him to be.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:09 pm

Pens15 wrote:I would think he's a better all-around player than Sykora...or at least he has a better looking resume (last year non-withstanding.)

Am I right?

As of right now, if I had the choice, I'd take Sykora over Satan at every pass...not because it's so overwhelming in Sykora's favor, I just find him, today, to be the better player...

In their primes, they both played for defensive teams and it could certainly be argued that Satan had a better prime...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:10 pm

Eismann wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:Great speed, great shot, won't work the corners or boards. Think Sykora.

Or Palffy.

Oh heavens, please not Palffy.

Bad shoulder, over the hill, ...
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:12 pm

Eismann wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Yeah, provided he's motivated playing for a winner...on the Islanders, he was lazy, and you could tell...if he transforms from "twilight Mogilny" to "current Sykora" I'll be happy...

I'm still reticent on the fit with Sid because of MS's lack of board strength and the Pens' general offensive tendencies. If the Pens continue to be predominantly dump-and-turnover, they'll need great board work. If MS isn't that guy, he won't be as effective as we'd hope him to be.

Yeah, that is an issue...because Satan isn't usually willing to do that...Tank will...Satan won't...that's why I'm hoping Pesonen is a pleasant surprise in terms of work rate, I already know he's got the offensive skill and the big time shot...I know he's willing to take a hit, but I haven't seen him enough times to get a good feel for his work along the boards...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shane613 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:15 pm

we just have to sacrifice some virgins to give him extra speed if he can't keep up with sid, it's that easy.
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:19 pm

shane613 wrote:we just have to sacrifice some virgins to give him extra speed if he can't keep up with sid, it's that easy.

That's too bad, Dan Potash was just starting to become tolerable too...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sabres_Fan on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Satan (while in Buffalo) was always a good finisher. He has speed but isnt lightning quick. He can be kind of an enigma though at times. He can get frustrated easily and float a bit also he wont be nominated for a Selke anytime soon. He floats more that he plays D. Some people say he was a locker room cancer while others say that he wasnt so I couldnt tell u either way.

He's either gonna be a decent 1st line guy or a ticked off 3rd liner. Oh yeah he is very vocal (to the media). Watch out for that 1 in the future.
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Pittsburgh, pa (via Buffalo in a little town known as Pominville)

Postby cs6687 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:44 pm

He's either gonna be a decent 1st line guy or a ticked off 3rd liner. Oh yeah he is very vocal (to the media). Watch out for that 1 in the future

Are we talking Ryan Leaf snapping-at-a-reporter vocal towards the media?
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Satan will be good for us. I don't believe he would be captain of the Slovak national team if he was a cancer.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:55 pm

Sabres_Fan wrote:Satan (while in Buffalo) was always a good finisher. He has speed but isnt lightning quick. He can be kind of an enigma though at times. He can get frustrated easily and float a bit also he wont be nominated for a Selke anytime soon. He floats more that he plays D. Some people say he was a locker room cancer while others say that he wasnt so I couldnt tell u either way.

He's either gonna be a decent 1st line guy or a ticked off 3rd liner. Oh yeah he is very vocal (to the media). Watch out for that 1 in the future.

Did he ever appear out of place in the defensive system that Buffalo had, though? I just want to make sure he can help Sid out a bit.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Joker on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm

I always love when players are branded a "locker room cancer". What did he do to make himself a cancer? Not go to teammate's parties? Reufse to play a heated game of Twister after a big game? Not meet the smiling quota for a couple months? You'd think the guy was going around sleeping with everyone's wife, stealing other people's wallets, and sabotaging the game tapes.
The Joker

Postby Eismann on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:36 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Eismann wrote:

Yeah, that is an issue...because Satan isn't usually willing to do that...Tank will...Satan won't...that's why I'm hoping Pesonen is a pleasant surprise in terms of work rate, I already know he's got the offensive skill and the big time shot...I know he's willing to take a hit, but I haven't seen him enough times to get a good feel for his work along the boards...

The sunflowers-and-puppies side of me is hoping that, if he gets on Sid's line, we'll see the north-south, bang-bang passing and skating that he's played most of what I can recall about his career. Sabres_Fan might have a different assessment of that (the laziness in NYI notwithstanding), but it seemed like even with NYI his line was gaining the Pens' zone effortlessly (in fairness, most other clubs did for most of the season).

I just want more Sid in more open ice.

Oh please.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:43 pm

The Joker wrote:I always love when players are branded a "locker room cancer". What did he do to make himself a cancer? Not go to teammate's parties? Reufse to play a heated game of Twister after a big game? Not meet the smiling quota for a couple months? You'd think the guy was going around sleeping with everyone's wife, stealing other people's wallets, and sabotaging the game tapes.

Mouth off to coaches (Lauri Tukonen), be a bad influence on the younger players (Bill Guerin), show a poor work ethic (Keith Tkachuk), create a divided locker room (Todd Bertuzzi), etc.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:44 pm

The Joker wrote:I always love when players are branded a "locker room cancer". What did he do to make himself a cancer? Not go to teammate's parties? Reufse to play a heated game of Twister after a big game? Not meet the smiling quota for a couple months? You'd think the guy was going around sleeping with everyone's wife, stealing other people's wallets, and sabotaging the game tapes.

locker room cancers are great because if everybody hates that person, it brings the rest of them together even more.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:51 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:

locker room cancers are great because if everybody hates that person, it brings the rest of them together even more.

Interesting theory, but that didn't work in Montreal or Vancouver...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Joker on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:54 pm

Mikey, do you think Satan is a floater or just lazy?
The Joker

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins