Does Satan have the speed to play with Crosby?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:54 pm

mikey287 wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
The Joker wrote:I always love when players are branded a "locker room cancer". What did he do to make himself a cancer? Not go to teammate's parties? Reufse to play a heated game of Twister after a big game? Not meet the smiling quota for a couple months? You'd think the guy was going around sleeping with everyone's wife, stealing other people's wallets, and sabotaging the game tapes.

locker room cancers are great because if everybody hates that person, it brings the rest of them together even more.

Interesting theory, but that didn't work in Montreal or Vancouver...

Haha, it worked for our roller hockey team last year. Satan should be fine though.

Also, it is proven that two people are more likely to friend each other if they share a similar dislike for a person.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:06 pm

The Joker wrote:Mikey, do you think Satan is a floater or just lazy?

He can't be both?

I don't know...in Buffalo, I thought he was more of a floater, that would contribute to all aspects of the game, but he made no bones about what he was interested in, and that's offense. Roughly, Satan is to the 1998 Buffalo Sabres as Marian Gaborik is to the 2002 Minnesota Wild...(of course, Gaborik is wayyyyy more talented on the worst day of his life than Satan is on his best day, but it's just an analogy)...yeah, Gaborik wasn't usually a liability, but he also wasn't exactly Jay Pandolfo...

On the Island, he was just garbage...he was lazy and a floater, and in an analogy that I've used the past couple years to describe Satan: he's been playing like Alexander Mogilny before he got waived and was never heard from again...not high praise...but I think he was disenchanted with the team, with constantly losing, with the lack of offensive flair that the team had...he wasn't happy, he wasn't working hard, he wasn't good...

I think a change of scenery will do him well, I just hope it's not too late...at the very least, I'd like "lazy" to be crossed off of that list by just the shear privlege of playing with Crosby...but, we won't know until October I guess...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Joker on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:16 pm

mikey287 wrote:

He can't be both?

:lol:, I was hoping for the best.
The Joker

Postby IrishEyes on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:21 pm

mikey287 wrote:

He can't be both?

I don't know...in Buffalo, I thought he was more of a floater, that would contribute to all aspects of the game, but he made no bones about what he was interested in, and that's offense. Roughly, Satan is to the 1998 Buffalo Sabres as Marian Gaborik is to the 2002 Minnesota Wild...(of course, Gaborik is wayyyyy more talented on the worst day of his life than Satan is on his best day, but it's just an analogy)...yeah, Gaborik wasn't usually a liability, but he also wasn't exactly Jay Pandolfo...

On the Island, he was just garbage...he was lazy and a floater, and in an analogy that I've used the past couple years to describe Satan: he's been playing like Alexander Mogilny before he got waived and was never heard from again...not high praise...but I think he was disenchanted with the team, with constantly losing, with the lack of offensive flair that the team had...he wasn't happy, he wasn't working hard, he wasn't good...

I think a change of scenery will do him well, I just hope it's not too late...at the very least, I'd like "lazy" to be crossed off of that list by just the shear privlege of playing with Crosby...but, we won't know until October I guess...

Knowing that Satan called the Pens and said he wanted to play with them, I'm hoping laziness won't be a factor. And we can all hope that maybe watching the way the rest of the forwards on the team are accountable in the defensive zone, he just may follow suit.

It's impossible to say what's going to happen until the season begins, but I'll keep my optimism up until I see something that crushes it.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:30 pm

mikey287 wrote:but I think he was disenchanted with the team, with constantly losing, with the lack of offensive flair that the team had...he wasn't happy, he wasn't working hard, he wasn't good...

This is why he called the Pens and asked to play for them. After the Isles made the playoffs the year before, he expected better things from them and it all went downhill fast. I also think the front office of the Isles makes nearly everyone hate playing for that team. I'm hoping and expecting a "revival" for Satan here in Pittsburgh because he has been starving for offense for the past few years now.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:32 pm

Pitts wrote:
mikey287 wrote:but I think he was disenchanted with the team, with constantly losing, with the lack of offensive flair that the team had...he wasn't happy, he wasn't working hard, he wasn't good...

This is why he called the Pens and asked to play for them. After the Isles made the playoffs the year before, he expected better things from them and it all went downhill fast. I also think the front office of the Isles makes nearly everyone hate playing for that team. I'm hoping and expecting a "revival" for Satan here in Pittsburgh because he has been starving for offense for the past few years now.

I've heard he's starving for souls. No one on the Island is worth it anymore.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shane613 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:49 pm

I heard he is coming here to collect on the agreement he and the management had prior to the Sidney Crosby lottery....
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cojac on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:28 pm

The LW'er will be very important, he'll need speed to get to the corners and speed to get back on D
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:31 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Satan will be good for us. I don't believe he would be captain of the Slovak national team if he was a cancer.

Excellent point.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Killiecrankie on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:31 pm

mikey287 wrote:

He can't be both?

Wow that is just wrong, the guy was injured in the very beginning of the season and instead of shutting it down played with the islanders for the rest of the year.

I do not know what games you were watching but satan's last three years he has been anything but lazy, granted I don't think he is an all star but with our team he should be good for 25-25 at least. Not bad bang for the buck I guess.
Killiecrankie

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:34 pm

Killiecrankie wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

He can't be both?

Wow that is just wrong, the guy was injured in the very beginning of the season and instead of shutting it down played with the islanders for the rest of the year.

I do not know what games you were watching but satan's last three years he has been anything but lazy, granted I don't think he is an all star but with our team he should be good for 25-25 at least. Not bad bang for the buck I guess.

You're saying he isnt lazy or a floater and that he'll go 25-25? I think he is a floater and should definitely get 25-35.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:48 pm

I've missed maybe a handful of Islanders games in the last 3 or 4 years...I'm pretty confident in my assessment...he wasn't good most nights, he wasn't the Satan of old, and everyone knew it...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:15 pm

Mikey wasn't Mogilny damaged goods with a degenerative hip though?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:22 pm

mikey287 wrote:I've missed maybe a handful of Islanders games in the last 3 or 4 years...I'm pretty confident in my assessment...he wasn't good most nights, he wasn't the Satan of old, and everyone knew it...

I'm not going to say I've watched that many, but I have seen a few Islanders games the past few years. I was extremely disappointed when I saw Shero signed Satan. I can't help but think Nils Ekman. Then again, Sykora is the softest floater in the league and he's worked out well in Pittsburgh. Hopefully, Satan can do the same.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:26 pm

Ron` wrote:Mikey wasn't Mogilny damaged goods with a degenerative hip though?

Yes and no...he had played through it in the past...but yes, it was wearing on him...

Which says all the more about what I thought of Satan's play some nights for the Islanders...it wasn't the prettiest thing I've ever seen...you could see the talent (like in Mogilny) but it wouldn't really lead to anything for a few reasons: no drive, no linemates, virtually no chance of winning...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:51 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Pens15 wrote:I would think he's a better all-around player than Sykora...or at least he has a better looking resume (last year non-withstanding.)

Am I right?

As of right now, if I had the choice, I'd take Sykora over Satan at every pass...not because it's so overwhelming in Sykora's favor, I just find him, today, to be the better player...

In their primes, they both played for defensive teams and it could certainly be argued that Satan had a better prime...

Sykora as a Ranger was not as good as Satan the Islander. He will be good here, and may regain the form he had in Buffalo where he was one of their best offensive players.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:06 pm

I'm not Mikey, but Satan was one of the offensive leaders in every way in Buffalo. He also had a very good year on the Island. I think it is simply dead wrong to say that he is done, or specifically that he is a floater or lazy.

Playing in the corners was never an issue for him. Playing in the corners is hard in the NHL with good shoulders. Playing in them with a bad one is very, very hard. He is not afraid of the corners. He just doesn't go in there to kill someone, he goes in to get the puck.

Sykora is nowhere near the player Satan is along the boards or in the traffic areas. A bad year in Long Island deserves a do-over.

Since 98-99 he has averaged just over 30 goals, without Crosby or Malkin. Sykora has averaged just under 26 goals in that time, and that is leaving out one season where he had only 7 goals in 34 games due to injury.

Satan will get 30 goals this year. He will be a plus player. He will be a key PP contributor.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:12 pm

iEUX wrote:I think more likely than not: playing in Pittsburgh will be a breath of fresh air for a player like Satan.

How can you remain a 'lazy' 'floater' on the wing of the hardest working player in the NHL?

I predict a slow start for Satan before he ramps it into high gear somewhere near Christmas, stays productive through the playoffs, and everybody will be as satisfied with him as we were with Sykora.

Fingers crossed.

Exactly, its very promising that he actively sought out playing with guys like Crosby or Malkin. You have to assume that he'll do work.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:32 pm

I always wondered why Sykora never played with Crosby. Was it his speed?
Or was it all about the coaching?

That's when I started wondering about Satan's speed.

I personally never thought Crosby and Hossa were completely on the right page. But their speed made up for it.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:35 pm

Sykora did play with crosby at times, he just was more effective with Malkin it seemed.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:53 pm

I'm pretty sure Sykora started last year on Crosby's wing. Of course, there was an odd amount of people that were convinced that he was a third liner for the first half of the season because he was demoted for about a half dozen games.

I think Sykora would do well with Crosby. In general, he picked his game up once he got Therrien's lesson that he needs to play hard all the time and he just so happened to be on the wing of a guy who went on a tear like few players in recent history have had. There's really no reason to break Malkin and Sykora apart until they stop producing together.

I think Satan is a better player than Sykora but it might be an adjustment to fit into the way this team plays like it was for Sykora. Laziness and floating aren't going to be tolerated. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Therrien's dog house at some point but ultimately he's going to put up 25-30 goals.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby crzymike on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:46 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Sykora did play with crosby at times, he just was more effective with Malkin it seemed.
Thats exactly right, he started with Sid and had minimal success. Shortly therafter he was demoted and ping ponged a bit in the line up. Once he was consistently played on Geno's line he produced much more effectively.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:06 am

I really liked Satan when he was younger. You could see the skill just oozing out of him. Floater? Maybe. But he should be motivated to play with some good players for the first time in a long, long, time. I think he's good for 25-35 goals with Crosby.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:47 am

fizban wrote:
Eismann wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:Great speed, great shot, won't work the corners or boards. Think Sykora.

Or Palffy.

Oh heavens, please not Palffy.

No kidding. The last thing this team needs a point a game winger. We can't possibly use another one. :roll:

How many points did Palffy score for the Pens after quitting the Pens?

That was my point.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:41 am

The Snapshot wrote:Satan will get 30 goals this year. He will be a plus player. He will be a key PP contributor.

if satan gets 30, it will be hard for sykora to break 20 and vice versa.

only 1 of them will get meaningful power play time and it's pretty rare to score 30 ES goals these days (though i guess they could split PP time and both score 25 - this is my guess).
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins