Does Satan have the speed to play with Crosby?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Scott on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:47 am

Has the speed to keep up! He is the kind of one dimensial player that could really shine playing with Crosby. Sometimes in the very rare case that being one dimensional can actually be a plus. Crosby does not need a playmaker. He needs someone who wants to shoot the lights out of the building.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Does Satan have the speed to play with Crosby?

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:16 pm

ron_duguays_hair wrote:just wondering.

Also is he the type of player that goes in the corners or is he a floater?

As long as body contact is not involved, he will fit right in.
PenguinHockeyFanatic

Postby Ginger on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:54 am

The Joker wrote:I always love when players are branded a "locker room cancer". What did he do to make himself a cancer? Not go to teammate's parties? Reufse to play a heated game of Twister after a big game? Not meet the smiling quota for a couple months? You'd think the guy was going around sleeping with everyone's wife, stealing other people's wallets, and sabotaging the game tapes.

80% of the time absolutely nothing. A slow day in the press room - a snubbed reporter - not colorful enough - too colorful...

Stories like that are worth spit usually. How can anyone know what's going on in the locker room at all times? Most times it's supposition. Think of it this way, would a reporter say, "I love this player, but he's a real cancer in the locker room"? Of course not. It usually stems from a reporter not liking the player in the first place & it's just his little way of smearing him a bit.

Miroslav Satan was never maligned by fans or players while in NY. In fact, Jon Sim said he was a great leader in the locker room, motivating the younger guys in a quiet way. He's not bombastic so how else would he lead them?

He has a real stealthy game - the same applies to his skating, scoring. He can take the goalkeeper out of position in a blink of an eye & score, so he doesn't really need extreme speed. He's got vision & accuracy which usually makes up for that.

My only concern now, & even that is minimal, is that a friend of mine on the island said Satan has been having knee issues the last half season. I hope they've been attended to during the off time. :(
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:20 am

Ginger wrote:
The Joker wrote:I always love when players are branded a "locker room cancer". What did he do to make himself a cancer? Not go to teammate's parties? Reufse to play a heated game of Twister after a big game? Not meet the smiling quota for a couple months? You'd think the guy was going around sleeping with everyone's wife, stealing other people's wallets, and sabotaging the game tapes.

80% of the time absolutely nothing. A slow day in the press room - a snubbed reporter - not colorful enough - too colorful...

Stories like that are worth spit usually. How can anyone know what's going on in the locker room at all times? Most times it's supposition. Think of it this way, would a reporter say, "I love this player, but he's a real cancer in the locker room"? Of course not. It usually stems from a reporter not liking the player in the first place & it's just his little way of smearing him a bit.

Miroslav Satan was never maligned by fans or players while in NY. In fact, Jon Sim said he was a great leader in the locker room, motivating the younger guys in a quiet way. He's not bombastic so how else would he lead them?

He has a real stealthy game - the same applies to his skating, scoring. He can take the goalkeeper out of position in a blink of an eye & score, so he doesn't really need extreme speed. He's got vision & accuracy which usually makes up for that.

My only concern now, & even that is minimal, is that a friend of mine on the island said Satan has been having knee issues the last half season. I hope they've been attended to during the off time. :(
Let's hope he's not damaged goods. From my past observations Satan plays to his team mates level. He still has the hands and burst to pot 30 easily on the right line. His shot is right up there with the best. He's not going to fight in the corner or drive someone through the glass. He never has. But he's respectable covering people, much more than people give him credit.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ginger on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:57 pm

Ron` wrote:Let's hope he's not damaged goods. From my past observations Satan plays to his team mates level. He still has the hands and burst to pot 30 easily on the right line. His shot is right up there with the best. He's not going to fight in the corner or drive someone through the glass. He never has. But he's respectable covering people, much more than people give him credit.

I don't think we have to worry about that. The knee issue was surgery that he was putting off to play the playoffs, but then had it. He should be fine...I hope too.

As for his emulating his team...maybe. But Guerin said he used to get after his teammates to play to their potential & never slack off. He did try to lead by example & I think many fans mistook patience for floating. Not always, mind you, but you don't get to where he is today by floating. The guy has a great pedigree.

A total of 947 NHL games played notching 337 goals & 348 assists for 685 points. Originally drafted in the 5th Round, 111th overall of the 1993 NHL Entry Draft by Edmonton, he's suited up for three teams now - the Oilers, Sabres & Isles. He also has 56 games of playoff experience with the Sabres & Isles notching 38 points on 15 goals & 23 assists.

I do believe he'll be a fun player to have around, especially with the guys we already have.

Go Pens! :D
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins