Jaromir Jagr to Omsk reporter; - I have left the NHL Forever

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jaromir Jagr to Omsk reporter; - I have left the NHL Forever

Postby Lesky on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:46 am

Then there’s this revelation, brought to us by Soviet Sport writer Pavel Lysenkov, who shadowed Jagr though his first day and a half in Omsk as background for an amusing article on the Czech’s arrival. Lysenkov got the bright idea of calling Russian superstar Alexander Ovechkin, curious to know what two superstars would talk about. After the two exchanged pleasantries, he uncovered the real reason Jagr left the NHL:

How long will you play in Russia?”Ovechkin asked.

- Two years. Then I will return to the Czech Republic. You have to understand, I can’t play in the NHL anymore. You are much better than me. What am I to do in a league where Ovechkin scores 65 goals, and I only score 25? I was so bad that I had to leave like a real man.” (Jagr practically falls of his chair with laughter.)

Sasha [Ovechkin] laughs along with him. “If you could score just 40 goals, and I 30, then it would have made sense for me to stay for another year. But now I understand that there is nothing more for me to do in NHL. There is Ovechkin.

- - - - - -

http://news.sport-express.ru/online/nte ... 47276.html

Jaromir Jagr: “I Have Left the NHL Forever

Andrei Kuznetzov
from Omsk

Yesterday before Avangard’s evening practice the celebrated Jaromir Jagr, who arrived in Omsk early in the morning, gave an interview to a small group of journalists. Among them was this correspondent for Sport-Express.

Your correspondent tried to begin the conversation with Jagr in English, but the Czech at once stated that out of principle he will communicated only in Russian. “You ask your questions in the native language, and if the answers are too difficult for me, my agent will translate from Czech. There is no reason for me to be lazy - this is is part of my job”, with a laugh remarked Jardo.

- Have you ever been received as warmly as you were today in Omsk? Perhaps in Prague, after the gold medal in Nagano in 98…

- I was very warmly seen off from New York (laughing). They waved actively, like this: go away, they said, go away from here.

- Does a sense of resentment towards North America remain?

- Not really, no. I had some offers from overseas clubs. So I was still wanted.

- The NHL will very easily give up on veterans. Are you affended by such an attitude towards aging stars?

- Me personally - no. In the end, nobody drove me from North America. Here’s another thing. Each hockey player perfectly aware of how much he is worth and what salary he deserves. And so, when you agree to take half of that salary, you become extraordinarily popular in the NHL.

- Do you feel that you’re a veteran?

- I’m a veteran?! I feel like I’m 18, no, 16 years old! (laughing)

- You remain only a short way from the top of the list of best forwards of all time in the NHL.

- Another couple of season and I could probably have overtaken the second or third place. But now its to late to think about that. Now let Ovechkin try to do that. The main thing to acheive such an objective is to avoid injuries, so I wish for him for first of all health.

- Incidentally, about health. Andrei Nazarov, who protected you during the lockout season, has now left to be a coach. Is it necessary now for Avangard to have a tough guy of that level?

- I have gotten used to a rough and agressive game. But I myself play only clean hockey. And another thing, unsportsmanlike methods drive me crazy. So that guy who is able to work his fists, won’t bother us.

- According to Alexei Kovalev’s stories, you fought with someone in the NHL not so long ago.

- No, it was purely a water cooler tale. There tough guys fight only with tough guys.

- Known “police officer” Chris Simon, will play in the KHL for Vityaz, you’re not at all afraid?

- He was my teammate in Washington, and I remember that Simon was able to play good hockey.

- But his team, Vityaz, fights far more than it plays.

- Everyone’s aim is to win, Vityaz is no different.

- What do you think about the situation around Alexander Radulov? Would you leave for another league while having an operating contract with a club in the NHL?

- It is difficult for me to judge. The age of the hockey player plays a great roll in making these decisions. A young forward should always feel he has the prospect of growth in skill and salary with a club.

- Is the transition to the Russian league the most serious step in your career?

- Definitely. With this decision I broke off with the NHL. I closed off any path of return. Therefore I has strong doubts before making the final decision.

- You agent says that a call from the regional governor Leonid Polezhaev played a deciding roll in your choice of Omsk. What did he tell you?

- We didn’t talk about money. All details were coordinated during negitionations with general manager Anatoli Bardin. However, I, in leaving the NHL forever, needed serious guarantees. I wanted to be sure that the GM had the authority to offer me such a big contract, that he had the right to sign players of my level. I hoped to receive guarantees of serious intentions from the governor, with whom I was still familiar from the lockout season.

- What are your impressions of Omsk Arena?

- It’s true that in North America there are larger arenas. But Omsk Arena concedes nothing to its American “competitors” in terms of comfort for players. And the area in which the history of the team is displayed is superbly done.

- Avangard coach Sergei Gersonski plans to use you on a line with your fellow countrymen [Pavel] Rosa and [Jakub] Klepis.

- I don’t know much about them as players. We’ll need to work together.

- But in fact on the Rangers, it was easier for your to play with Czech linemates, than with others?

- Yes, but, for example, I had played together with Straka in Pittsburg. And as a whole I was very familiar with the Czech guys on the Rangers.

- You have agreed to play for the Czech National Team. Will we see you at the Moscow stage of the Eurotour in December?

- Most likely, I will only play in the last stage — the Ceska Pojistovna Cup — before the World Championships. In any case, that in particular is what I agreed to with the team’s head coach Vladimir Ruzicka.

- What do you remember most of all about your reception at the airport in Omsk?

- The fans made a huge inflatable bear with my number. But, where has he disapeared to? Did he burst? I bet he was drunk. (Laughs)

- Is it true that you do not drink at all, even on vacation? For Russians, a Czech who does not drink some beer is a very strange thing.

- For someone who wants to play at the top level for 15-20 years, I categorically do not advise being on friendly terms with that pursuit. For me certainly it all came from my upbringing, from childhood. Nobody drank at home, and I got used to such an order of things. And when you see beer in the refridgerator every day, you have a completely different relationship towards it. Instead, I love sweets.

- When will your girlfriend arrive?

- Yesterday she arrived from overseas, but she has gone to visit relatives in the Ukraine. At the beginning of the season she will come back to me.

- There were rumors that she did not want to go to Russia.

- Not at all! She, by the way, knows Russian well. At home we speak it only, to bring up my level.

- In Omsk you are very popular. Is it not a burden on you?

[i]- There are always two aspects in sports. If you play well, you’re popular. When things go badly, in a split second everything can turn, as if a wall comes up around you. It is good to arrive in a city where they wait for you and want you to play for the local team. And now it all depends on me and how I play and what I bring to the club.

- And in the Czech Republic are many children named Jaromir?

- I was named by my father, in his honor and in honor of my grandfather. And so this is not so popular a name in my homeland.

- Do you remember your previous arrival in Omsk?

- Yes, then it was much greater experiment for me. I didn’t know what awaited me, but I was pleasantly surprised by the level of development of the hockey infrastructure and quality of the game which already then was comparable to the NHL. Of course, at the present time Russia does not yet live up to the overseas league, because the majority of the best players in the world play in the NHL. But the guys I have seen here — for example [Maxim] Sushinski — they too are excellent. I simply know little about them. And to be the first here is very difficult. And with Omsk in general I have fallen in love. Here everything is cordial, it is customary to help one another, not like in larger cities with more money. It impresses me very much and reminds me of my homeland.

- What are they saying in the NHL about your decision to come to Omsk?

- I’m not particularly worried about it. The main thing was to make the right decision, because I played overseas for 17 years and could still go on for 3-4 years. So the choice was difficult. I understood that soon I will probably need to go to Europe more often to visit my father. And the love which I felt that came towards me from Siberia helped me decide.

- What’s you opinion of the KHL? Is it a competitor to the NHL?

- You have to understand that the history of the National Hockey League totals decades, even in my time there it expanded from 21 to 30 teams. It took a long time for hockey to gain its present popularity. It would be wrong to make comparisons with the KHL, which is just starting out. The start has been good, and I hope I will bring a worthwhile contribution. This is a big opportunity for players, teams and coaches to raise their standards. As for me, I always wanted and continue to want to be first — this is how I made my name. And here, in Russia, I also will try to show everything I am capable of.

- Alexander Radulov has also arrived in Russia from the NHL, but there was a scandal in connection with his transfer. What do you think of this situation?

- I don’t know much about it besides what was written on the Internet. In any case, this is his personal decision, and I don’t know what I’d do in his place. Therefore I can not judge. I remember, two years ago Evgeni Malkin left for the NHL before completing his contract in Russia, and there was no problem. Why now is there such a sensation? So we’ll see…

- Where will you finish your career?

- The chance that I will return to the NHL is insignificant, I would say that it is equal to zero. I had an opportunity to become almost an idol overseas, perhaps second only to Wayne Gretzky [in scoring]. But now that I have decided to come over to Europe it is unlikely a return would be possible. But I will not regret or look back; my purpose is to play good hockey here. I don’t know whether I will be in Russia for two or three years, but then in any case I will go home, to Kladno, to the club of which my father is president.[/i]
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Doogs on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:39 am

After reading this I have to ask... Was JJ back to the Pens a thing created by fans that wanted him to go full circle, or was it real and just didn't happen. No mention, other than he felt shooed out of NY.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wallflower on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:49 am

Doogs wrote:After reading this I have to ask... Was JJ back to the Pens a thing created by fans that wanted him to go full circle, or was it real and just didn't happen. No mention, other than he felt shooed out of NY.

My opinion has always been that it was completely a fan creation and had no chance of actually happening. It was said that the Pens called Jagr but never offered him any kind of contract.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 pm

Fan creation.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:34 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Fan creation.

TIOPS creation? :P
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:45 pm

Lesky wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Fan creation.

TIOPS creation? :P

Pretty much. Jagr and Penguins don't work...I hope he stays over there and well dies alive. :lol:
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:02 pm

Fans created it and the rumor sites capitalized on it. It was easy to get people to open the site every 2 minutes to see if Jagr signed yet.

He was way too much money and did not fit personality wise with the team at all. He also would never have worked out playing on any line but the 3rd with the way he plays. And you don't pay a 3rd liner 5m+.

Nostalgia makes fans believe a lot of players are coming back and the media outlets capitalize on it because they know it will make you read/listen if they tell you what you want to hear.

Then the rumor sites can cover it up by saying "intense negotiations were broken off."
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:14 pm

Pens related why?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:18 pm

Jim wrote:Pens related why?

I thought it, but anything with Jagr will go under Pens related for eternity. I'm expecting to see youtube highlights of Jagr in Russia on a consistent basis here.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:20 pm

Thanks Lesky, this is an interesting interview.

Did you translate it, or is their an English version online somewhere?
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ginger on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:33 pm

Ditto, thanks for bringing that Lesky, wherever you chose to post it. :)

Jagr's a larger than life ex Pen even tho' he no longer plays for the team. In the hockey-dry month of July does it really matter that much where any of the ex-Pens news goes? C'mon, we don't need censorship here or people will stop bothering to post at all.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:46 pm

Yeah, it was fan created, but it was a nice idea (IMO). I think he would have scored more than 25 with Crosby, though. How about 35 or 45. Too bad.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:48 pm

Jim wrote:Pens related why?

L()L

j1m 7074||y pwn3d 4|| 0f y0u! L()LZ
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:53 pm

p|3453 570p
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:57 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:p|3453 570p

|-|4|-|4 d1d y0u 637 7h3 |337 k3y 4dd-0n f0r f1r3f0x 700?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:09 am

Kicksave wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:p|3453 570p

|-|4|-|4 d1d y0u 637 7h3 |337 k3y 4dd-0n f0r f1r3f0x 700?

no I just found an online translator, not sure if i'm willing to look for it again.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:43 am

NPR
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Doogs on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:06 am

Tico Rick wrote:NPR

I have to go with Ginger on this one. Jags is one of those guys that may have left, but should be allowed. Just my thoughts.

If Admin can allow a 35 page thread about Hossa to survive, Jags should be allowed.

Whats with the Hyeroglyphics? :?

Fixed.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby icecats30 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:11 pm

jagr must have really been pissed when crosby ("Not a goal scorer") scored 24 goals in 53 games and jagr scores 25 in just about a whole season.
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:34 am

If you ask me anything Jagr related can always be posted in the main forum rather than in NPR. Well, at least these interviews on his career and hockey in general. Specifik game highlights or whatever can be posted in NPR though, I guess.

About him leaving the NHL it saddens me. Another 4 years would've put him around 1900 career points and well over 700 goals...Not to mention how emotional his last game would be.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pensfan20 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:41 am

André wrote:If you ask me anything Jagr related can always be posted in the main forum rather than in NPR. Well, at least these interviews on his career and hockey in general. Specifik game highlights or whatever can be posted in NPR though, I guess.

About him leaving the NHL it saddens me. Another 4 years would've put him around 1900 career points and well over 700 goals...Not to mention how emotional his last game would be.

His Last game was emotional... shaking hands with the Pens then skating off the mellon arena ice being eliminated... pretty emotional stuff..
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:58 am

pensfan20 wrote:
André wrote:If you ask me anything Jagr related can always be posted in the main forum rather than in NPR. Well, at least these interviews on his career and hockey in general. Specifik game highlights or whatever can be posted in NPR though, I guess.

His Last game was emotional... shaking hands with the Pens then skating off the mellon arena ice being eliminated... pretty emotional stuff..

Yeah, true that, but no one knew that was his last game. In fact he said himself his aim was to re-sign with the Rangers.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:41 am

And with Omsk in general I have fallen in love. Here everything is cordial, it is customary to help one another, not like in larger cities with more money. It impresses me very much and reminds me of my homeland.... And the love which I felt that came towards me from Siberia helped me decide.

Well I'm so happy that Jaromir won't be dying alive in Siberia.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby soljaheas on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:01 am

truth to the matter is this. The Penguins seriously did consider bringing Jagr back. Fortunately for them, they made the right decision in not bringing him back. He still has some left in the tank, and wish him the best in Russia. I hope he comes back soon to get his jersey retired here in the next few years.
soljaheas

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins