PENSBLOG = STUNNED!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Then why did ESPN care? Maybe I don't have the whole story. It was a reporter guy drinking in a bar... so?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Member on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:55 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Then why did ESPN care? Maybe I don't have the whole story. It was a reporter guy drinking in a bar... so?

Because ESPN sucks.

If Hradek's innocent, those allegations could hang above his public reputation.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Member wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:Then why did ESPN care? Maybe I don't have the whole story. It was a reporter guy drinking in a bar... so?

Because ESPN sucks.

OK I definitely don't have the full story. I just heard it was a pic of him drinking, I didn't hear about an accusation.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:59 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Member wrote:

Because ESPN sucks.

OK I definitely don't have the full story. I just heard it was a pic of him drinking, I didn't hear about an accusation.

How about someone posting the link from that blog so that everyone can know exactly what is being discussed?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Member on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:00 pm

columbia wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Member wrote:

Because ESPN sucks.

How about someone posting the link from that blog so that everyone can know exactly what is being discussed?

http://thepensblog.blogspot.com/2008/07 ... riend.html
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ron` on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:05 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
canaan wrote:
Diddy wrote:Maybe this will lead to tpb getting their own site. It gets a ton of traffic, just think of the ad-revenue!

we never and will never do ads.

We? You are part of the staff now?
What part of the staff is he?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:05 pm

Maybe the Hradek thing holds no water. Uhh, oops. :shock:
same problem, different blog that doesn't appear to walk that same line as TPB does.

http://www.gisuser.com/content/view/15258/

Friday, 01 August 2008
Here's a new one for this week that is likely going to have the feathers of many Google Bloggers ruffled... Bloggers essentially have 20 days to save their blogs or else!!

I got a weird email message last night that I first thought was junk, then I realized it was actually legit! Google has some new automated system that is flagging potential spam blogs (whatever that is) and locking out blog owners. Email message from Google follows:

Your blog at: http://gisuser.blogspot.com/ has been identified as a potential spam blog. To correct this, please request a review by filling out the form at ...

Your blog will be deleted within 20 days if it isn't reviewed, and you'll be unable to publish posts during this time. After we receive your request, we'll review your blog and unlock it within two business days. If this blog doesn't belong to you, you don't have to do anything, and any other blogs you may have won't be affected.

We find spam by using an automated classifier. Automatic spam detection is inherently fuzzy, and occasionally a blog like yours is flagged incorrectly. We sincerely apologize for this error. By using this kind of system, however, we can dedicate more storage, bandwidth, and engineering resources to bloggers like you instead of to spammers. For more information, please see Blogger Help: http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=42577

Thank you for your understanding and for your help with our spam-fighting efforts.

Sincerely,

The Blogger Team
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:08 pm

more info with lots of pissed off bloggers

http://groups.google.com/group/blogger- ... pics?hl=en
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:08 pm

Member wrote:
columbia wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Member wrote:

Because ESPN sucks.

OK, until that story can be verified by someone beyond "Donnie' and his girlfriend - namely the bartender or someone else who was there - it is open to question.

That's just a picture of the dude drinking a beer.

The world doesn't live by the Pens Blog thought of "In journalism you usually have to write a story with three good sources.
In blogging, you can quote Big Bird if you want. "

Sources count. Maybe "Donnie" can back it up and that should clear things up for the PensBlog. Otherwise, bye bye.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:09 pm

Member wrote:
columbia wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Member wrote:

Because ESPN sucks.

In no way is that libel by Pensblog unless they completely fabricated the source "Donnie". Which is doubtful since they have a pic of him sitting in the discussed bar. Pensblog is simply reporting what information a source passed along. If the source made up the story, then it is libel against the source not Pensblog. If "Donnie" was there and witnessed the events, then in no way is that libel against anyone.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:10 pm

look above your post. Appears to be a big screwup on google's part.

Maybe Big Bird will still count as a source in TPB's future :wink:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Member on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:11 pm

JS© wrote:look above your post. Appears to be a big screwup on google's part.

Yeah it has nothing to do with Hradek or the Handicapped Michigan fan. :lol:
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:13 pm

Member wrote:

Good! They should be back up soon then.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:14 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Member wrote:

Google's shares down 45%
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Member wrote:

positive thoughts, positive thoughts....
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Member wrote:

Google's shares down 45%

:lol: :lol:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:16 pm

love it...

Pensblog... which openly admits it uses humor to report on things and even stated in this article that they just have an email from some guy... must have viable sources and investigate the situation to believe what they say.

TIOPS and Eklund... don't use anything but the word "sources" and get all the credibility they need and people who defend them to the death.

people are awesome.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Member on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Ron` wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
canaan wrote:
Diddy wrote:Maybe this will lead to tpb getting their own site. It gets a ton of traffic, just think of the ad-revenue!

we never and will never do ads.

We? You are part of the staff now?
What part of the staff is he?

Is canaan Charlie?
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby profpolisci on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:17 pm

re Hradek
no libel
no slander
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Member on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:19 pm

bhaw wrote:love it...

Pensblog... which openly admits it uses humor to report on things and even stated in this article that they just have an email from some guy... must have viable sources and investigate the situation to believe what they say.

TIOPS and Eklund... don't use anything but the word "sources" and get all the credibility they need and people who defend them to the death.

people are awesome.

Rumor sites are always right. Especially when their "inside sources" are mentioned.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:21 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Member wrote:
columbia wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
Member wrote:

Because ESPN sucks.

In no way is that libel by Pensblog unless they completely fabricated the source "Donnie". Which is doubtful since they have a pic of him sitting in the discussed bar. Pensblog is simply reporting what information a source passed along. If the source made up the story, then it is libel against the source not Pensblog. If "Donnie" was there and witnessed the events, then in no way is that libel against anyone.

Actually, it would be libel against the publication which printed the story. It is the publication's responsibility to determine the validity of the source. As a former writer for a daily newspaper I have seen this second hand on numerous occasions.

I'm not saying one way or another with The PensBlog, as I highly doubt that is the issue, as others have pointed out. I simply wanted to clarify the libel confusion.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:25 pm

I just assumed that Bozo the Columnist was the one who objected to Pensblog's pictures of him.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:32 pm

Defence21 wrote:Actually, it would be libel against the publication which printed the story. It is the publication's responsibility to determine the validity of the source. As a former writer for a daily newspaper I have seen this second hand on numerous occasions.

I'm not saying one way or another with The PensBlog, as I highly doubt that is the issue, as others have pointed out. I simply wanted to clarify the libel confusion.

If a famous person related to the Pens sexually harassed my wife, I am allowed to report it online without finding any other witnesses. It would be up to the person suing me to prove that it did not happen in order for them to actually win the case. If this was not the case, how does tmz.com, valleywag, etc. stay in business?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby profpolisci on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:33 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:I just assumed that Bozo the Columnist was the one who objected to Pensblog's pictures of him.

don't know why, but the way this is worded made me laugh.
...i mean in a good way.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:56 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Defence21 wrote:Actually, it would be libel against the publication which printed the story. It is the publication's responsibility to determine the validity of the source. As a former writer for a daily newspaper I have seen this second hand on numerous occasions.

If a famous person related to the Pens sexually harassed my wife, I am allowed to report it online without finding any other witnesses. It would be up to the person suing me to prove that it did not happen in order for them to actually win the case. If this was not the case, how does tmz.com, valleywag, etc. stay in business?

That's beside the point. What i am saying is that it is up to the publisher to determine the validity of the sources. It has nothing to do with number of sources and, really, nothing to do with the sources in general. If a source has information that is damaging and he/she tells that to a friend, it's going nowhere. But if he/she tells it to a newspaper, magazine, tabloid, blog, etc, it is going everywhere. The source may be in trouble for passing the misinformation along, but the publication also is in trouble for publishing information that is inaccurate and damaging. Again, i have seen this take place with the publication I worked for on numerous occasions -- luckily I was not the one in question.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins