Breaking Down The East and West

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Breaking Down The East and West

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:13 am

So here are my breakdowns of the conferences, let me know what you think and what your picks will be

Eastern Conference
1. Pittsburgh (Conference Champ)
2. Montreal (Division Champ because they are in the weakest division)
3. Washington (Division Champ)
4. Philidelphia (Showed a lot in the playoffs last season)
5. New York Rangers (finally learning not to overpay overated old players)
6. Tampa Bay (made enough moves, 5 ex-penguins, to be put over the top)
7. Boston Bruins (they play with heart, should be a fun team to watch pp/pk are going to be questionable)
8. New Jersey Devils (most boring team in the NHL, but they know how to win)
---------------
9. Carolina (Eric Staal cant do it all himself)
10. Buffalo (Young Prospects will turn up in 2 years)
11. Ottawa (Still Working Out Problems)
12. Toronto (Fun to watch but not enought experience or talent)
13. Atlanta (Will Average over 3 goals a game, for AND against!)
14. Florida Panthers ( Worst Team in the NHL )
15. New York Islanders ( Will be the whipping boy of NHL's Best Division)

Western Conference
1. Detroit ( Best team in NHL until someone beats them)
2. San Jose ( it will be a battle with Anaheim )
3. Calgary ( Best Team in worst division, But they are still a good team )
4. Anaheim ( Third best team in the west)
5. Dallas ( Lots of grit and trade deadline deals and offseason made a huge difference )
6. Minnesota ( New Jersey Devils West )
7. Edmonton ( They will make it to the playoffs, but will go out first round )
8. Chicago ( Toews and Kane are talented and Young, this team has enough with Huet to make it )
---------------------------
9. Nashville ( Uncertain Future means missed playoffs )
10. Vancouver ( Still borderline even if they get Sundin )
11. Columbus ( Cleaned house and going with a new look, will be a fun tteam to watch )
12. Colorado ( round and round he go, will you be without Joe? )
13. St. Louis ( Minor League System, check! )
14. Los Angeles ( Fun to watch but Young )
15. Pheonix ( Youre still here? Olli Jokinen is no Wayne Gretzky, and Wayne Gretzky is no Scotty Bowman )

This is my opinion but if you would like to opine then please let us all know what you think.
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:15 am

I think the Devils finally miss the playoffs this year, Carolina in in their place. I have no idea what kind of order the Conference will be though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:28 am

I think Atlanta and Toronto will be worse than the NYI, but it should be an interesting battle.

My playoffs teams:

East

1. Pittsburgh (Free Candy!)
2. Montreal (No outstanding lines, but all solid, especially with the addition of Tanqueray)
3. Washington (Young players getting better. Good enough for the SE, but Jose Theodore could also have them in the basement)
4. Philadelphia (bleh...)
5. Boston (New New Jersey!)
6. New York (Declining a little, but Henry the Great and good depth down the middle keep them solid)
7. Tampa Bay (Will score 500 goals on Atlanta alone)
8. Ottawa (Less distracted but still not a real threat)
------------------------------------------------------------
09. Buffalo
10. New Jersey
11. Carolina
12. Florida
13. Toronto
14. New York
15. Atlanta

West

1. Detroit (HOSSA!!! *George Costanza/Wrath of Khan style*)
2. Dallas (I don't see any noteworthy weakness here. Solid all around)
3. Calgary (This division just keeps getting worse)
4. San Jose (Another playoff disappointment will lead to major deals next year)
5. Anaheim (Will have some offensive issues this year)
6. Chicago (Huet + Campbell = Playoffs)
7. Edmonton (Usually play better than their roster is. Only here because of the major drop of talent after the big four)
8. Minnesota (Their boring style + Gaborik's contract year let them cling to the final spot)
09. Nashville
10. Columbus
11. Vancouver
12. Phoenix
13. St. Louis
14. Los. Angeles (When their young defenseman/goaltending are ready, they will be a force)
15. Colorado

Stanley Cup Winner: Dallas
Last edited by Corvidae on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:06 am, edited 10 times in total.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Breaking Down The East and West

Postby CKA24 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:41 am

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:Eastern Conference
5. New York Rangers (finally learning not to overpay overated old players) --> How does Markus Naslund not fit the bill? I don't disagree with the prediction, but they are still overpaying for a lot of overrated players.

6. Tampa Bay (made enough moves, 5 ex-penguins, to be put over the top) --> Disagree: No defense.

9. Carolina (Eric Staal cant do it all himself) --> He won't have to. He has Joe Melichar! Seriously, they'll take the place of Tampa in the playoffs.

13. Atlanta (Will Average over 3 goals a game, for AND against!) --> Who's going to score them? Hainsey? Kovalchuk can't score 'em all...

Western Conference
4. Anaheim ( Third best team in the west) --> I don't think that they're third in the West, but still good enough to challenge SJ.

7. Edmonton ( They will make it to the playoffs, but will go out first round ) --> I wouldn't count this team out too quickly.

8. Chicago ( Toews and Kane are talented and Young, this team has enough with Huet to make it ) --> I think that they're a bit better than eighth
9. Nashville ( Uncertain Future means missed playoffs ) --> I don't think the off-ice distractions will be as distracting as you think

14. Los Angeles ( Fun to watch but Young ) --> Fun to watch? They'll have to have their minor league forwards play defense.

15. Phoenix ( Youre still here? Olli Jokinen is no Wayne Gretzky, and Wayne Gretzky is no Scotty Bowman ) --> Maybe not, but this team isn't as poor as you've placed them. I feel that they could make a run at the playoffs this year

CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:45 am

Corvidae wrote:I think Atlanta and Toronto will be worse than the NYI, but it should be an interesting battle.

My playoffs teams:

East

1. Pittsburgh
2. Montreal
3. Washington
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston
6. New York
7. Tampa Bay
8. Ottawa

West

1. Detroit
2. Dallas
3. Calgary
4. San Jose
5. Anaheim
6. Chicago
7. Edmonton
8. Minnesota

Stanley Cup Winner: Dallas

So we agree on everything in the west except placements and all but one team in the east, i still think New Jersey will make the playoffs even though ottawa is in a depleted division IMO
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby crzymike on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:50 am

I think the Devils are better then people think. Adding Rolston an to a lesser extent Holik, does make them a better defensive team upfront. I also believe Rolston is good enough to help out offensively. I think a seven or eight seed is very possible.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:52 am

crzymike wrote:I think the Devils are better then people think. Adding Rolston an to a lesser extent Holik, does make them a better defensive team upfront. I also believe Rolston is good enough to help out offensively. I think a seven or eight seed is very possible.

Wow I forgot abou tRolston, they'll get the 7/8 if he is performs.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:53 am

Rolston is one of those guys that if he was on your team, he's a solid vet. if not, he's a bum. i agree with those thinking that they may squeak a playoff spot. i dont expect them to last rd 1, though.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:53 am

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:So we agree on everything in the west except placements and all but one team in the east

Yeah, but you might consider that a bad thing!

But seriously, I thought you made a decent list.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:23 am

Devils are still probably a top 8 team. They are clearly better than the Leafs, Thrashers, Isles, Panthers and the Lightning which leaves just two more teams for them to beat out.

I also agree that the SE still stinks the most but the NE isn't far behind. None of the teams have a great goalie, in fact all of the goaltending lies in the Atlantic.

Philly with Gagne is a better Philly team than the one we destroyed in the playoffs but they still aren't better than us. No one in the East should be better than the Pens and the only teams I think are with us potentially are Deroit, who's still the best, then SJ, Dallas and Anaheim.

East

1. Pittsburgh
2. Montreal
3. Washington
4. Philadelphia
5. New Jersey
6. Carolina
7. New York
8. Buffalo
9. Boston
10. Ottawa
11. Florida
12. New York
13. Tampa Bay
14. Atlanta
15. Toronto

West

1. Detroit
2. Dallas
3. Calgary
4. San Jose
5. Anaheim
6. Chicago
7. Minnesota
8. Nashville
9. Phoenix
10. St. Louis
11. Colorado
12. Columbus
13. Vancouver
14. Edmonton
15. Los. Angeles
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:53 am

Jake wrote:I don't agree that the Northeast is the weekest division.

That distinction still goes to the Southeast, IMO.

I think Florida and Atlanta will be in the Tavares sweepstakes. TB has upgraded but not in areas that they needed help in and will keep sucking until they significantly improve their blueline and goaltending. The Hurricanes are a .500 team if everything goes well.

Both the North and the South are pretty weak. But, I agree the South still claims that title. Toronto is doing everything it can to get to the Tavares sweepstakes. Once there, they will pay off the lottery ball puller. Bottom 5: Atlanta, Toronto, Florida, NYI, Buffalo.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:18 am

DelPen wrote:Devils are still probably a top 8 team. They are clearly better than the Leafs, Thrashers, Isles, Panthers and the Lightning which leaves just two more teams for them to beat out.

I also agree that the SE still stinks the most but the NE isn't far behind. None of the teams have a great goalie, in fact all of the goaltending lies in the Atlantic.

Philly with Gagne is a better Philly team than the one we destroyed in the playoffs but they still aren't better than us. No one in the East should be better than the Pens and the only teams I think are with us potentially are Deroit, who's still the best, then SJ, Dallas and Anaheim.

East

1. Pittsburgh
2. Montreal
3. Washington
4. Philadelphia
5. New Jersey
6. Carolina
7. New York
8. Buffalo
9. Boston
10. Ottawa
11. Florida
12. New York
13. Tampa Bay
14. Atlanta
15. Toronto

West

1. Detroit
2. Dallas
3. Calgary
4. San Jose
5. Anaheim
6. Chicago
7. Minnesota
8. Nashville
9. Phoenix
10. St. Louis
11. Colorado
12. Columbus
13. Vancouver
14. Edmonton
15. Los. Angeles

This is pretty good. Buffalo-Boston-Rangers-Ottawa will all battle for those last 2 spots.

Phoenix might slip into the 8 spot in the west. Dallas-Detroit-SJ-Anaheim will all battle for the 1 spot. I think Detroit will not run away with it...their division is much better than last year, and they struggled against them.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Breaking Down The East and West

Postby Malkin0017 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:23 am

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:So here are my breakdowns of the conferences, let me know what you think and what your picks will be

Eastern Conference
1. Pittsburgh (Conference Champ)
2. Montreal (Division Champ because they are in the weakest division)
3. Washington (Division Champ)
4. Philidelphia (Showed a lot in the playoffs last season)
5. New York Rangers (finally learning not to overpay overated old players)
6. Tampa Bay (made enough moves, 5 ex-penguins, to be put over the top)
7. Boston Bruins (they play with heart, should be a fun team to watch pp/pk are going to be questionable)
8. New Jersey Devils (most boring team in the NHL, but they know how to win)
---------------
9. Carolina (Eric Staal cant do it all himself)
10. Buffalo (Young Prospects will turn up in 2 years)
11. Ottawa (Still Working Out Problems)
12. Toronto (Fun to watch but not enought experience or talent)
13. Atlanta (Will Average over 3 goals a game, for AND against!)
14. Florida Panthers ( Worst Team in the NHL )
15. New York Islanders ( Will be the whipping boy of NHL's Best Division)

Western Conference
1. Detroit ( Best team in NHL until someone beats them)
2. San Jose ( it will be a battle with Anaheim )
3. Calgary ( Best Team in worst division, But they are still a good team )
4. Anaheim ( Third best team in the west)
5. Dallas ( Lots of grit and trade deadline deals and offseason made a huge difference )
6. Minnesota ( New Jersey Devils West )
7. Edmonton ( They will make it to the playoffs, but will go out first round )
8. Chicago ( Toews and Kane are talented and Young, this team has enough with Huet to make it )
9. Nashville ( Uncertain Future means missed playoffs )
10. Vancouver ( Still borderline even if they get Sundin )
11. Columbus ( Cleaned house and going with a new look, will be a fun tteam to watch )
12. Colorado ( round and round he go, will you be without Joe? )
13. St. Louis ( Minor League System, check! )
14. Los Angeles ( Fun to watch but Young )
15. Pheonix ( Youre still here? Olli Jokinen is no Wayne Gretzky, and Wayne Gretzky is no Scotty Bowman )

This is my opinion but if you would like to opine then please let us all know what you think.

Buffalo instead of Tampa in the East. Tampa picked up all of our lesser talented players!!! If they somehow make the playoffs it wont be any higher than an 8th seed. they still have to fight off the Sabres, Senators and Hurricanes. Theres a possibility that the Rangers may not even make the playoffs if they do it'll be because of Lundqvist.

Columbus or Nashville instead of Edmonton in the West. Jackets or Preds will also be an 8th seed. Chicago will be 7th.
Malkin0017
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:30 am

I think that is about as close to a potential ranking of the East when compared to my opinions that I have seen anywhere. I think Florida is definitely way better than Atlanta, though. I think with the diminished division play (which will help the Isles) Atlanta might be the team on the bottom. Florida has too good of a goalie and defense to finish in last, even though they'll struggle to score goals.

Out west, I have some very different opinions. First of all, I think Phoenix will absolutely be better than a dead last team. They really had a lot of young players come a long way last year, and, although they lost a couple minute eaters on D, they made some nice additions up front, and, Turris should be the leading ROY candidate. MacLean, I believe signed as well, and, we all know that young guys really need that first year before they really settle in (see Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc.), but, I think they will be fighting in that 7-10 range.

Next, the Ducks. I think this team will struggle to finish any higher than sixth in the West. Sure they have Neids, Pronger, and, Beauch up top on D, which, is a great group (I'm assuming Schneider is dealt), but, if Selanne does not come back, they are frighteningly thin up front. When Brendan Morrison comes in and is a big upgrade to your second line center, you are in trouble. Unless Bobby Ryan finally puts it together and Selanne returns, they will finish no higher than the bottom third of the league in scoring.

I'm not as sold on Edmonton as others because of the Garon/Roloson option in goal. They are in the weakest division in the west, so, that helps, but, I have trouble trusting those two -- although they came close last year and they made some good moves this offseason.

I think Vancouver may flirt with the bottom three spots in the west, especially without Sundin. Luongo couldn't carry last year's team into the playoffs, and, I certainly doubt he'd do it with this coming year's group.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:47 am

Everyone is still talking about the Tavares sweepstakes. I think its pretty much neck and neck between Tavares and Hedman now, and, by draft day, I'll bet its probably about 65/35 Hedman.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:08 pm

Kraftster wrote:Everyone is still talking about the Tavares sweepstakes. I think its pretty much neck and neck between Tavares and Hedman now, and, by draft day, I'll bet its probably about 65/35 Hedman.

Tavares' stats really dropped off in his second year. If this year is the same, he might not go first overall. But unfortunately, I think Stamkos is the real deal.

How about Toronto getting Tavares and he turns out to be another Daigle? :lol:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:16 pm

I always thought Tavarez would largely fail to live up to expectations, but I didn't think the disappointment would occur before he even reached the draft.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:26 pm

Corvidae wrote:Tavares' stats really dropped off in his second year.

how so? i hope you aren't just saying the wyshinski (sp) crap from the aol blogs.

Code: Select all
year         gp    g      a    pts
2006–07      67    72    62    134
2007–08      59    40    78    118

he averaged 2 pts/game in 06-07--the exact same as 07-08. did he score less goals? sure. He was pressured a bit more this year and, if anything, it showed that he's an incredible passer. i would in no way say that his stats "really dropped off"
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:55 pm

canaan wrote:
Corvidae wrote:Tavares' stats really dropped off in his second year.

how so? i hope you aren't just saying the wyshinski (sp) crap from the aol blogs.

I don't know who that is.

canaan wrote:
Code: Select all
year         gp    g      a    pts
2006–07      67    72    62    134
2007–08      59    40    78    118

he averaged 2 pts/game in 06-07--the exact same as 07-08. did he score less goals? sure. He was pressured a bit more this year and, if anything, it showed that he's an incredible passer. i would in no way say that his stats "really dropped off"

It's not just that his points [Edit: Oh yeah, he actually did have the same PPG each season... my bad] and goal totals dropped. They didn't go up. I think you'd normally expect junior level offensive stars (especially one this highly touted) to improve each year. I haven't watched the kid but when you go from 72 to 40 goals, it does raise an eyebrowl. And that's really all it is for me. Just a stat observation. I was joking about the Daigle thing. But if pressure caused him to score less, unless that pressure was for him to pass more, then that's not really a great sign.

Again, this is just an outside stat observation. I think I've read (not from AOL) that his skating is the only thing about him in question, which could be a big question. Could mean nothing. I leave that up to the Jesses of the world.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:25 pm

Corvidae wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Everyone is still talking about the Tavares sweepstakes. I think its pretty much neck and neck between Tavares and Hedman now, and, by draft day, I'll bet its probably about 65/35 Hedman.

Tavares' stats really dropped off in his second year. If this year is the same, he might not go first overall. But unfortunately, I think Stamkos is the real deal.

Absolutely Stamkos is the real deal. Why's that unfortunate though? Another great young player in the NHL!

Tavares goal scoring certainly dropped off big time last season, but, the guy is still a great prospect. There are definitely documented concerns about his skating, and, thus, his ability to make room for himself in the NHL, but, all that said, he won't fall any further than #2 behind Hedman. I think the potential 1-2 controversy is more about Hedman's ascension than Tavares' falling.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:31 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Corvidae wrote:

Absolutely Stamkos is the real deal. Why's that unfortunate though? Another great young player in the NHL!

You mean another great young player in the Eastern Conference! :evil:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:46 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Corvidae wrote:

Tavares goal scoring certainly dropped off big time last season, but, the guy is still a great prospect. There are definitely documented concerns about his skating, and, thus, his ability to make room for himself in the NHL, but, all that said, he won't fall any further than #2 behind Hedman. I think the potential 1-2 controversy is more about Hedman's ascension than Tavares' falling.

I think Tavares' lack of improvement could be considered a fall. Well...moreso a failure to meet expectations. The huge deal was the breaking of Gretzky's record at only 16. People thought he was going to have a monster year this year, not that he didn't but hearing about him, you would have though he was going to put up 150 or so points.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:30 pm

When it comes down to picking Victor Hedman of John Tavares it is pretty obvious that you are going to take Tavares. In the NHL you dont have people saying that they are going to tune in and watch Zdeno Chara play because he is a solid tall defensemen which is all that Hedman is.

Everyone wants to watch AO and Sid thats what 80% of all hockey talk in the States and i may even venture Canada is about when talking about individual players (maybe some Iginla or Kovalev Crap but thats only because they play in canada).

When given the chance you take a franchise forward. They sell more tickets, bringing up your revenue which allows you to play around in the FA market more and get those solid defensemen.

I think that is end of story

PS can we stay on topic of breaking down the conferences
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:31 pm

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:When it comes down to picking Victor Hedman of John Tavares it is pretty obvious that you are going to take Tavares. In the NHL you dont have people saying that they are going to tune in and watch Zdeno Chara play because he is a solid tall defensemen which is all that Hedman is.

Everyone wants to watch AO and Sid thats what 80% of all hockey talk in the States and i may even venture Canada is about when talking about individual players (maybe some Iginla or Kovalev Crap but thats only because they play in canada).

When given the chance you take a franchise forward. They sell more tickets, bringing up your revenue which allows you to play around in the FA market more and get those solid defensemen.

I think that is end of story

PS can we stay on topic of breaking down the conferences

Wow, I don't know about all that. I think at the end of the day, what you're after as an organization is Lord Stanley. Sure some of the more casual fans "tune in" to see exciting offensive players, but, I think what a fanbase really wants is a cup. I think its a tough call on how most GMs in the NHL would go when looking at a franchise defenseman or franchise forward if they project equally. To be fair, comparing Hedman to Chara while comparing Tavares to Ovechkin and Crosby is not accurate, and, makes things seem more lopsided in Tavares favor. I bet some Calgary fans tune in to see Phaneuf, and, I'm sure over the years some fans have tuned in to see Pronger as well. Even more than that, I'll bet lots of fans happily tuned in to see Lidstrom hoist any of his several cups with Detroit. Looking at the one or two best position players over the past 10-15 years, top defenseman and top goalies seem more likely to be cup winners than top forwards.

Some organizations will always take the "sexy" pick, but, others will go with the smart pick, and, more often than not, they'll be the ones racking up championships. I guess it comes down to organizational preference...
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins