Pens, Sabres and Caps Inquire About Gaborik

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens, Sabres and Caps Inquire About Gaborik

Postby WWGRD on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:35 pm

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16407

The Penguins appear to be leading the push to a degree..at least they are the ones who are putting "a rather surprising" package together.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dean Wormer on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:45 pm

Trade Malkin.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Member on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:46 pm

Bring back Hossa.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sidney malkin 11 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:47 pm

if we get Gaborik I would be extremely happy, one of my favies of the NHL actually
sidney malkin 11

Postby PensBeerGeek on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:50 pm

All I have to say is consider the source...

Edit: I don't get it...what do the Pens have that is "rather surprising"?? We're fairly low on the high-end prospects, and I'm not too high on trading off Staal or Whitney for what could amount to a one-year rental player.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:55 pm

Pens don't have the cap space to sign or acquire someone like Gaborik. Ray Shero and his staff have to be great scouts by finding talent like Zetterberg in the 7th round and not waste time and resources on $6-8 million rentals.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:14 pm

I'm pretty sure that if this is true, an extension would be part of the package. If they are giving up a good package for him, it's not going to be for just a year. We aren't deep with prospects, but we are deep with NHL players.

My guess is that we are packaging Hossa, Malone, and a pick.

But for real, I could see Staal and/or a defenseman like Letang. As much as I love Letang, I would have a hard time passing up Gaborik if he plus some minor pieces was the price. Same with Staal. Tons of potential for the future, but if you're getting someone like Gaborik back, I'd listen.

All that being said, this is just more rumors, so it's hard to speculate on.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Doogs on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:18 pm

bhaw wrote:I'm pretty sure that if this is true, an extension would be part of the package. If they are giving up a good package for him, it's not going to be for just a year. We aren't deep with prospects, but we are deep with NHL players.

But for real, I could see Staal and/or a defenseman like Letang. As much as I love Letang, I would have a hard time passing up Gaborik if he plus some minor pieces was the price. Same with Staal. Tons of potential for the future, but if you're getting someone like Gaborik back, I'd listen.

Gaborik wants 9 mil. That right there is why it can't happen. Unless...say it with me...HE TAKES LESS TO PLAY WITH SID!!! :shock:
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:18 pm

bhaw wrote:I'm pretty sure that if this is true, an extension would be part of the package. If they are giving up a good package for him, it's not going to be for just a year. We aren't deep with prospects, but we are deep with NHL players.

If this were even remotely true, Whitney and his $4mil would be going the other way. To start.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:21 pm

In terms of talent, I'd have no reservations in saying he's top 10 in the NHL...he's all the speed of Konstantin Koltsov, all the hands of Marian Hossa, and it's not like he's never heard of defense before, he's been playing for Minnesota for a while now...

Gabby is one of my favorite players and has been for quite some time, he is absolute dynamite...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Doogs on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:22 pm

mikey287 wrote:In terms of talent, I'd have no reservations in saying he's top 10 in the NHL...he's all the speed of Konstantin Koltsov, all the hands of Marian Hossa, and it's not like he's never heard of defense before, he's been playing for Minnesota for a while now...

Gabby is one of my favorite players and has been for quite some time, he is absolute dynamite...

All of this is true, but how much more of our youth can we afford to give up on top tier talent to play with Sid?
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:26 pm

ville5 wrote:

If this were even remotely true, Whitney and his $4mil would be going the other way. To start.

I think the Pens would rather keep Whitney and his 4M over Letang and what he may be asking for... we don't know what he wants yet. I could also see Gonchar going somewhere at some point.

If Gaborik wants 9m, he won't get it with the Pens, I agree. But who is making that much right now? Gaborik is very good, but it's become pretty obvious now how the market works... you either play for a good team and take less or you max out your contract in a place like Vancouver where you probably won't get anywhere any time soon.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:27 pm

Doogs wrote:
mikey287 wrote:In terms of talent, I'd have no reservations in saying he's top 10 in the NHL...he's all the speed of Konstantin Koltsov, all the hands of Marian Hossa, and it's not like he's never heard of defense before, he's been playing for Minnesota for a while now...

All of this is true, but how much more of our youth can we afford to give up on top tier talent to play with Sid?

If Gaborik signs long term and plays with Crosby or Malkin, he legitimately has 60 goal/110 point potential...so, I guess it depends...hopefully they like Whitney and hopefully Goose is everything this board thinks he is (which I don't think he is) and then we'll see how far off we are at that point, he is an impending UFA...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kicksave on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:29 pm

He is one of the only players who I'd think about packaging Staal and Whitney together for. They could afford Gaborik at 8-9 million if they give up the $5 mil they have to eventually give to Staal and Whitney's $4 mil.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensBeerGeek on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Doogs wrote:Unless...say it with me...HE TAKES LESS TO PLAY WITH SID!!! :shock:

That's why we've gotta get him here. He's gotta fall in love with Pittsburgh so he'll take that hometown discount.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Joker on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:35 pm

I still wouldn't give up Whitney and Staal to get him.

A potential consistent 30 goal scorer and Selke Award Finalist and a potential top 15 defenseman who can put up 60-65 points every year for an injury prone winger who hasn't done too well in the playoffs? No thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I think Gaborik is awesome but it's too much.
The Joker

Postby Grunthy on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:38 pm

mabe we could just give them sydor and fed... lol. then it is a one year rental for players that are only on contract for next year anyway. J/K I know they would never do that.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:39 pm

bhaw wrote:
ville5 wrote:

I think the Pens would rather keep Whitney and his 4M over Letang and what he may be asking for... we don't know what he wants yet. I could also see Gonchar going somewhere at some point.

If Gaborik wants 9m, he won't get it with the Pens, I agree. But who is making that much right now? Gaborik is very good, but it's become pretty obvious now how the market works... you either play for a good team and take less or you max out your contract in a place like Vancouver where you probably won't get anywhere any time soon.

Trading Letang won't do it from a cap standpoint. It would have to be Whitney and they would still have to unload Sydor and his contract. That would cover Gaborik's salary for the coming year.

However, I'm not expecting a deal to happen.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:45 pm

columbia wrote:
bhaw wrote:
ville5 wrote:

Trading Letang won't do it from a cap standpoint. It would have to be Whitney and they would still have to unload Sydor and his contract. That would cover Gaborik's salary for the coming year.

:oops: :oops: you're right... I forgot to consider THIS year's cap. Doh!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:54 pm

I'm a big Gaborik fan, but here's the thing... well, two things:

1) I seriously doubt the Pens would be going after Gaborik. I don't even think they'd try and sign him as an UFA, let alone give up what would most certainly be some valuable assets to attain him. It just doesn't seem to fit in their plans to have another player making over 7 million. "But Corvidae, you idiot, they were going to give Hossa that!" True, but they may be realizing now, with less than 2.5 million in cap space, that it would have been a mistake. And again, what would they have to give up to get him?

2) I consider Marian "Groin Pull" Gaborik to be injury prone. Too much so to offer him so much cap space, and definitely too much to give up valuable assets for his rights.

3) Free Candy!
Last edited by Corvidae on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:54 pm

bhaw wrote:
columbia wrote:
bhaw wrote:
ville5 wrote:

:oops: :oops: you're right... I forgot to consider THIS year's cap. Doh!

What makes it more improbable - in terms of this year's cap - is that Minnesota would likely want to get Staal. He'd be perfect for that system.
But the salary numbers don't work for the Pens. They would be ~ 2 M over the cap.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:58 pm

sounds like hockeybuzz has had some slow hit numbers as of late and they needed to get some traffic.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:59 pm

I still refuse to visit. I waited till people here that were going to visit there anyway did so and then reiterated what was said.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Corvidae on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:00 pm

canaan wrote:sounds like hockeybuzz has had some slow hit numbers as of late and they needed to get some traffic.

Yeah, but it's August so I'll play along.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Doogs on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I still refuse to visit. I waited till people here that were going to visit there anyway did so and then reiterated what was said.

So you passive-agressively visit the site. :wink: :lol:
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins