Pens, Sabres and Caps Inquire About Gaborik

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:27 pm

Just to fuel the speculation:
Staal, Kennedy, Scuderi, Sydor for Gaborik and a pick would do it cap-wise for this year. That would certainly qualify as a "a rather surprising" package.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,388
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Postby bhaw on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:29 pm

columbia wrote:Just to fuel the speculation:
Staal, Kennedy, Scuderi, Sydor for Gaborik and a pick would do it cap-wise for this year. That would certainly qualify as a "a rather surprising" package.


too many roster players.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,986
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Postby The Joker on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:42 pm

canaan wrote:sounds like hockeybuzz has had some slow hit numbers as of late and they needed to get some traffic.


I love that TIOPS totally discredited the rumor and even made fun of Eklund for making up something.

Image
The Joker
 

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:48 pm

bhaw wrote:
columbia wrote:Just to fuel the speculation:
Staal, Kennedy, Scuderi, Sydor for Gaborik and a pick would do it cap-wise for this year. That would certainly qualify as a "a rather surprising" package.


too many roster players.


Letting go of Staal would be worth it, Scuderi (as a 7th D) can be replaced, Sydor needs to be shipped away anyway and Kennedy is completely disposable.

However, I still think there is zero chance of Gaborik moving to the Pens.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,388
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Postby Eismann on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Must be a Marian thing.

Personally, I'm waitng for Marion Ross to Pens for Gramma Nusbaum (e5).
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,298
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Somebody's funny nightmare

Postby Corvidae on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:06 pm

Eismann wrote:Must be a Marian thing.

Personally, I'm waitng for Marion Ross to Pens for Gramma Nusbaum (e5).


"There's Something About Marion" is dying for a photoshop.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,108
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:47 am

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:57 pm

As much as I'd love to see Gaborik here, the possibility of it happening is .00000000001%. Shero's been burned by Hossa and I think he'll think twice about doing another move like that again unless he's going to get the player signed first. The only way we'd get Gabby would be at the end of the year when we could fit him under the cap and we'd still have to give up similar talent to what we gave up for Hossa. I'm not sure we have the depth to do that.

Gaborik on Sid's wing would be special, but not likely going to happen.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby crzymike on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:20 pm

I don't think there is any question whatsoever that the Pens will or are considering several options to give Sid and or Geno that all star caliber winger. They tried with Hossa, unfortunately that didn't work out. Gaborik when healthy is one of the better wingers in the game. Within the next year or so I feel very sure they'll make a significant push for a Gaborik or some such player. If only Zetterberg became available. :wink:
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby crzymike on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:As much as I'd love to see Gaborik here, the possibility of it happening is .00000000001%. Shero's been burned by Hossa and I think he'll think twice about doing another move like that again unless he's going to get the player signed first. The only way we'd get Gabby would be at the end of the year when we could fit him under the cap and we'd still have to give up similar talent to what we gave up for Hossa. I'm not sure we have the depth to do that.

Gaborik on Sid's wing would be special, but not likely going to happen.
The only reason to pursue a trade regarding Gaborik is IF he is willing to sign a longterm extension. I am a little concerned about the injuries though.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby crzymike on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:25 pm

If I'm correct Staal grew up not real far from there. He also is perceived to have shut down center potential which is how Minnesota likes to play. Not that it's likely to happen but I'd consider that trade.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby farnham16 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:58 pm

Staal, Whitney, and Sydor for Gaborik and a draft pick.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Postby André on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:59 pm

PensBeerGeek wrote:All I have to say is consider the source...

Edit: I don't get it...what do the Pens have that is "rather surprising"?? We're fairly low on the high-end prospects, and I'm not too high on trading off Staal or Whitney for what could amount to a one-year rental player.


Well that's the surprise I guess, trading Staal.

This is Eklund though so don't take it seriously in any way.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,289
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Postby crzymike on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:03 pm

farnham16 wrote:Staal, Whitney, and Sydor for Gaborik and a draft pick.
I wouldn't want to give up Whit also. They could pick Staal and take Sydor off our hands though. Dont forget, they would be gaining 7 years (Staal will be 20, Gaborik I believe is 26/27).
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby André on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:06 pm

columbia wrote:
bhaw wrote:
columbia wrote:Just to fuel the speculation:
Staal, Kennedy, Scuderi, Sydor for Gaborik and a pick would do it cap-wise for this year. That would certainly qualify as a "a rather surprising" package.


too many roster players.


Letting go of Staal would be worth it, Scuderi (as a 7th D) can be replaced, Sydor needs to be shipped away anyway and Kennedy is completely disposable.

However, I still think there is zero chance of Gaborik moving to the Pens.


Too many roster players?

Staal is the only real asset there. Minnesota would never accept.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,289
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Postby farnham16 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:07 pm

crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Staal, Whitney, and Sydor for Gaborik and a draft pick.
I wouldn't want to give up Whit also. They could pick Staal and take Sydor off our hands though. Dont forget, they would be gaining 7 years (Staal will be 20, Gaborik I believe is 26/27).


I think we would have to shed Whit or Gonchar's contract if we traded for Gaborik.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Postby crzymike on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:13 pm

farnham16 wrote:
crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Staal, Whitney, and Sydor for Gaborik and a draft pick.
I wouldn't want to give up Whit also. They could pick Staal and take Sydor off our hands though. Dont forget, they would be gaining 7 years (Staal will be 20, Gaborik I believe is 26/27).


I think we would have to shed Whit or Gonchar's contract if we traded for Gaborik.
If we got rid of Staal that would help offset the Gaborik contract. I think Staal has a cap hit right now of over 2 million. We were gonna sign Hossa for over 7 million so we could make it work if Staal was the one goin. Although as I said, I doubt it would happen.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:37 pm

farnham16 wrote:Staal, Whitney, and Sydor for Gaborik and a draft pick.


I'd take that in a heartbeat, but that's why I'm not a gm.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:49 pm

crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
crzymike wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Staal, Whitney, and Sydor for Gaborik and a draft pick.
I wouldn't want to give up Whit also. They could pick Staal and take Sydor off our hands though. Dont forget, they would be gaining 7 years (Staal will be 20, Gaborik I believe is 26/27).


I think we would have to shed Whit or Gonchar's contract if we traded for Gaborik.
If we got rid of Staal that would help offset the Gaborik contract. I think Staal has a cap hit right now of over 2 million. We were gonna sign Hossa for over 7 million so we could make it work if Staal was the one goin. Although as I said, I doubt it would happen.


Well we could have before we signed people.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,992
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:57 pm

i would LOVE to see gaborik in powder blue, but it's just not in the cards, my friends
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,323
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Postby DelPen on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:58 pm

crzymike wrote:I don't think there is any question whatsoever that the Pens will or are considering several options to give Sid and or Geno that all star caliber winger.


I think there is a huge question, all-star centers don't need all-star wings to produce. We have the two best centers in the NHL on this team. Adding guys like Satan, Sykora and Fedotenko and taking gambles on guys like Pesonen is what this team and it's fans will have to accept now.

Stop being greedy, we got Hossa last year to offset Sid being at 60% for a playoff run. If Sid's ankle was 100% we would have went just as far with EC and Army on his wings.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,204
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby Samsdog on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:25 pm

ZERO CHANCE. Gaborik wants cap max (he won't get it, but he definitely isn't looking to take any discounts), and there's no cap space even if they shed Staal and Whit or Gonch (they do have to replace those spots, and using any warm body will lead to a Tampa Bay/Ottawa type situation where they field one very formidable line, one good one, and then two sub-par fourth lines). Players like Sykora, Satan who are consistent 20-25 goal guys will get the nod and see their goal totals rise. As long as Crosby and Malkin are together on one team, the Penguins will not have a long term superstar winger on the team without sacrificing balance. They won't keep renting players either. Besides with Demitra gone Minnesota will put a very enticing package together for Master Marian.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,698
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 pm
Location: Bloomfield

Postby PenguinHockeyFanatic on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:44 pm

sidney malkin 11 wrote:if we get Gaborik I would be extremely happy, one of my favies of the NHL actually


He's the fastest skater in the league, and his shot is laced with pure rattlesnake venom. But, he can't seem to stay healthy. Not only that, I still don't see any logical way to ice 3 forwards that will take up nearly half of the teams payroll after this upcoming season.
PenguinHockeyFanatic
 

Postby pens_CT on Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:07 pm

DelPen wrote:
crzymike wrote:I don't think there is any question whatsoever that the Pens will or are considering several options to give Sid and or Geno that all star caliber winger.


I think there is a huge question, all-star centers don't need all-star wings to produce. We have the two best centers in the NHL on this team. Adding guys like Satan, Sykora and Fedotenko and taking gambles on guys like Pesonen is what this team and it's fans will have to accept now.

Stop being greedy, we got Hossa last year to offset Sid being at 60% for a playoff run. If Sid's ankle was 100% we would have went just as far with EC and Army on his wings.
Do not underestimate what Hossa brought to this team. You know as well as I that without Hossa, Malkin would have spent considerable time as a wing on Sid's line to generate offense, thus making this a one line scoring team. The ability to run two scoring lines played a large role in this team making it to the finals.

Wth that said the idea that we would trade for Gaborik or sign him as a UFA doesn't make any sense unless you are unloading salary (Whitney or Gonchar) at the same time. As a pens fan you hope that Sykora, Satan, and Fedotanko generate enough offense to be considered top six forwards, something that EC or Army are not regardless of Sid's health.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,543
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Postby crzymike on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:42 pm

DelPen wrote:
crzymike wrote:I don't think there is any question whatsoever that the Pens will or are considering several options to give Sid and or Geno that all star caliber winger.


I think there is a huge question, all-star centers don't need all-star wings to produce. We have the two best centers in the NHL on this team. Adding guys like Satan, Sykora and Fedotenko and taking gambles on guys like Pesonen is what this team and it's fans will have to accept now.

Stop being greedy, we got Hossa last year to offset Sid being at 60% for a playoff run. If Sid's ankle was 100% we would have went just as far with EC and Army on his wings.
Since the Pens obviously were willing to offer Hossa a long deal, in addition when you consider the discounts that our stars have taken, the Pens will indeed try for an all star caliber winger. Just because Hossa didn't stay doesn't mean next year or the year after one won't be signed. Players the ilk of Hossa and Gaborik could be the difference between bein a champion or bein a fringe contender. By comments made by ownership and again the effort put in to signing Hossa, there is no reason at all to doubt this teams intentions regarding that star caliber winger.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby shane613 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:45 pm

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
shane613
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,056
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: New Kensington

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GeoTank, Mr. Colby, Penspal, RisslingsMissingTeeth and 18 guests

e-mail