TIOPS says...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:53 pm

canaan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:crzymike lost it(e5)

wasnt there a thread not too long ago that asked which poster was gonna lose it first?

i'd love to see a bump of that. :pop:

You're right there was. I know I got a nomination from someone.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:37 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Call me crazy but I'd rather invest 6.5 long term in Bouwmeester than 9 in Gaborik.

Wow, what if we got two of my favorite players ^^^ I might have to move to Pittsburgh and become a STH to show my gratitude...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:16 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Call me crazy but I'd rather invest 6.5 long term in Bouwmeester than 9 in Gaborik.

I guess we're both crazy.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby knives of ice on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:30 pm

do people have reading comprehension problems? well, thats clearly obvious...

"A source tells me Alex Goligoski was heavily scouted by several teams during the AHL playoffs. Boston and Buffalo were among two of those teams."

thats all that is mentioned about Gogo... my god, talk about reading alot into a simple post he made. like its so crazy for a player to be scouted when he's playing in the AHL playoffs and finals.

also, people can say whatever they want about TIOSP, if you followed what he wrote during the free agent period its pretty clear he has some good sources, he was pretty much 100% in his rumors and predictions during this time period and was pretty much the only person online saying Hossa really wanted to go to detroit weeks before it happened. if you don't like rumor sites then don't read them, but you'd be hard pressed to find any site with predictions about player movement/rumors that has been more accurate concerning the pens that TIOSP. sad but true.

trust me, that site is no worse than the stuff reported via all the canadian sports outlets during hockey season which i've learned from having canadian satellite.
Last edited by knives of ice on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Doogs on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:46 pm

knives of ice wrote:do people have reading comprehension problems? well, thats clearly obvious...

"A source tells me Alex Goligoski was heavily scouted by several teams during the AHL playoffs. Boston and Buffalo were among two of those teams."

thats all that is mentioned about Gogo... my god, talk about reading alot into a simple post he made. like its so crazy for a player to bed scouted when he's playing in the F'ing AHL playoffs and finals.

also, people can say whatever they want about TIOSP, if you followed what he wrote during the free agent period its pretty clear he has some good sources, he was pretty much 100% in his rumors and predictions during this time period and was pretty much the only person online saying Hossa really wanted to go to detroit weeks before it happened. if you don't like rumor sites then don't read them, but you'd be hard pressed to find any site with predictions about player movement/rumors that has been more accurate concerning the pens that TIOSP. sad but true.

trust me, that site is no worse than the stuff reported via all the canadian sports outlets during hockey season which i've learned from having canadian satellite.

I re-read the thread and Gogo for Gaborik was a posters thought on what might be a peice if a trade was ever to take place. I don't think anyone credited TIOPS for anything about a trade involving Gaborik, other than to say that they said it was bunk.

I followed his work for FA and you are correct he was pretty darn good and timely. And yes he did have Hossa liking Detroit a week or so before. The problem with running a RUMOR site is that there will ALWAYS be something that doesn't pan out, but that is the risk you take. And I think most get that it can be hit and miss.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LdubsRoot23 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:16 pm

mikey287 wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:who's monopoly money are we using to pay for gaborik's long term extension which will likely exceed 8 mill and possibly 9 mill?

you'd think that all the time to digest the fact that we didn't sign hossa would help folks realize that you can't commit half your salary cap in three players for long term contracts and be much more than a one line team....but you'd be crazy

Ya figure $8 million just for argument's sake...$3.5 (Satan) + $2.25 (Tank) + $2.5 (Sydor) = $8.25 million right there...Gaborik takes Satan's role and does it way better, Staal steps into Tank's role perhaps, perhaps Pesonen, perhaps Luca, and Sydor is already useless to us I guess...

Gaborik is making 7.5 million this year...at 26 coming off his best statistical year (even though he pulls his groin every 5 games)...he's an idiot if he's only getting a 500,000 raise.

I don't have a problem with Staal going to wing, but maybe he does...who knows if he re-signs after this season, he'd definitely get some offer sheets and if I'm Shero, am I gonna pay a 3rd line center 4 million a season?

I'm fine with dumping Sydor's salary, but you are banking on two unproven guys just stepping into first line roles...and even then you are still one top-6 forward short.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LdubsRoot23 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:21 pm

Doogs wrote:
knives of ice wrote:do people have reading comprehension problems? well, thats clearly obvious...

thats all that is mentioned about Gogo... my god, talk about reading alot into a simple post he made. like its so crazy for a player to bed scouted when he's playing in the F'ing AHL playoffs and finals.

I re-read the thread and Gogo for Gaborik was a posters thought on what might be a peice if a trade was ever to take place. I don't think anyone credited TIOPS for anything about a trade involving Gaborik, other than to say that they said it was bunk.

I followed his work for FA and you are correct he was pretty darn good and timely. And yes he did have Hossa liking Detroit a week or so before. The problem with running a RUMOR site is that there will ALWAYS be something that doesn't pan out, but that is the risk you take. And I think most get that it can be hit and miss.

TIOPS posted news from other sites, like TSN...and changed the time of the post so it at least appeared that he "broke" the story. He may have a couple of "sources" but he's no insider.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Angle on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:48 pm

LdubsRoot23 wrote:
Doogs wrote:

TIOPS posted news from other sites, like TSN...and changed the time of the post so it at least appeared that he "broke" the story. He may have a couple of "sources" but he's no insider.

That is NOT how I remember it. In fact, I remember most of the stuff he wrote being discussed on this board before it broke on TSN as well. Are you accusing many loyal LGP posters of unsavory practices as well?
Angle
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:47 pm

LdubsRoot23 wrote:Gaborik is making 7.5 million this year...at 26 coming off his best statistical year (even though he pulls his groin every 5 games)...he's an idiot if he's only getting a 500,000 raise.

his cap hit is 6.333 so it'd actually be a 1.666 million dollar raise (26% or so).
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Not sure why you jump to defend them so much. If you want to believe that it is a totally reliable new source, that's fine. Everyone has basically said, you can do whatever you want with your life and no one is holding a grudge against you for liking his site.

Your opinion is that he knows what he's doing and can somehow break news before anyone else out there.

My opinion is:

1. He's a rumor mongerer like Eklund, but it's solely focused on one team so he can put more thought into it.
2. He posts extremely vague things like "Pens talk to Selanne." The obvious implication is that they are trying to sign Selanne but when it turns out to be crap, the defends jump all over anyone who calls him out by saying "The Pens were just calling him up to say hi... he never said they were negotiating a contract." It's intentionally vague so he can be wrong but still hold credibility because he never specifically says anything.
3. If you are so good that you can break news first, why do you need time stamps? Oh, because they can be manipulated to say whatever you want.
4. He's a rumor mongerer, not a news site. And for some reason, people like you will defend him to the death because his rumor mongering is so vague that he's not really wrong when he is wrong.

It's lazy writing. At least Eklund takes the plunge by saying "Player A will go to Team X." This bush league writer is too afraid to even step out on the ledge to make a prediction with his crap.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:50 pm

Actually, a lot of things TIOPS had could be found from other "sources," similar to the "sources" that I have...there are a couple places that had what he had before him...again, it's just like Eklund, Eklund slaps an e5 on something when his minions go and scoops it up from another blog or whatever...just because some of us were paying attention to TIOPS and not other sites of the like, doesn't mean that TIOPS broke it...

So far, they've apparently made up the Pesonen story, stole a "rumor" (actually a completely made up trade) out of a password-less chatroom and suggested to his readers that it was an "actual rumor" and/or stole information from me via one of their moles...

So, when you're stealing made up trades from Mr. Fecal Matter over there in a chat room, I would suggest you take your journalism classes again...

Does he probably have a couple legit sources? Yeah, probably...a good number of people in that "business" do...

Did he break anything of real significance? Maybe a couple things here and there, but they may or may not have been speculative...like, he named like 7 teams that were talking to Huselius, I named one (Columbus) and 3 hours later, he signed with Columbus...Columbus wasn't even on his list of 7...he's a typical Eklund-ite: list one-third of the teams that "make sense" (to them, which isn't saying much, neither of them seem to have a grasp on that type of thing) and if they get one of them it becomes an "I told you so" and then he relishes in the fact that people think he did something right...when really, he didn't have a choice...I'll get 95% of signings right if I can name one-third of the teams, that's a cakewalk...

So, yeah, it's fine that he has a "rumor" site, it's fine that he might have a source or two...it's NOT fine that he steals unsourced things out of chatrooms to use as purported "facts" and it's NOT fine to say that he broke much of anything...a couple things, sure...many things? no, not even close...

- Hossa to Detroit was in Detroit's news prior...
- Naslund to the Rangers was scooped up by Sam Weinman
- Afinogenov/Kotalik to Pittsburgh was made up by Kovy

I don't remember what else there was...but it's not nearly as impressive as people make it out to be...

I'll put it this way, as a middle reliever, sure, he struck out the side, but he also gave up 3 earned on 4 hits and walked 2...it just depends on what side of the scorecard you want to look at...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:50 pm

shmenguin wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:Gaborik is making 7.5 million this year...at 26 coming off his best statistical year (even though he pulls his groin every 5 games)...he's an idiot if he's only getting a 500,000 raise.

his cap hit is 6.333 so it'd actually be a 1.666 million dollar raise (26% or so).

He can't possibly get much more than that. I'd say his next deal will be around an $8 - $8.5 mil average.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 pm

Pitts wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

He can't possibly get much more than that. I'd say his next deal will be around an $8 - $8.5 mil average.

Yeah people don't seem to understand cap hits, they look at on year's salary and consider that to be the way the player is currently valued on his team. Same thing just happened with Hossa.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:38 pm

I think no matter how we slice it, Gaborik is not in our cards next year unless a major piece is moved.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:49 pm

bhaw wrote:I think no matter how we slice it, Gaborik is not in our cards next year unless a major piece is moved.

The only option I see is Gonchar, and as I've said, I think thats only if Whitney makes significant strides this year. Keeping Gaborik beyond then is still very tricky and reallycompromises the rest of the team. We aren't talking a crappy 4th line, we are talking either a crappy 2nd or 3rd, and definitely 4th, maybe all 3.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:20 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
bhaw wrote:I think no matter how we slice it, Gaborik is not in our cards next year unless a major piece is moved.

The only option I see is Gonchar, and as I've said, I think thats only if Whitney makes significant strides this year. Keeping Gaborik beyond then is still very tricky and reallycompromises the rest of the team. We aren't talking a crappy 4th line, we are talking either a crappy 2nd or 3rd, and definitely 4th, maybe all 3.

I'd rather move Whitney and another piece, then re-sign Gonchar at a little lower price.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:42 pm

Pitts wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

I'd rather move Whitney and another piece, then re-sign Gonchar at a little lower price.

And let's be honest, Gonchar won't earn a similar contract to what he has now. He'll be around 35 and definitely on the decline -- and he clearly has enjoyed his time in Pittsburgh. I see him returning regardless of Whitney's status with the team.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:59 pm

I agree D21.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:44 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

And let's be honest, Gonchar won't earn a similar contract to what he has now. He'll be around 35 and definitely on the decline -- and he clearly has enjoyed his time in Pittsburgh. I see him returning regardless of Whitney's status with the team.

I don't want him moved by any means, but they will not be moving Whitney, thus leaving Gonchar as the only option. I don't think they will or should move for a 5+ million dollar player at this point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby André on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:54 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

I don't want him moved by any means, but they will not be moving Whitney, thus leaving Gonchar as the only option. I don't think they will or should move for a 5+ million dollar player at this point.

Not sure about Gonchar coming cheap though. For two more years as a 35 year old D-man I'm sure some team would give Gonch 6-7 mil.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins