TIOPS says...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby K2 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:33 pm

I question TIOPS credibility (just as I would Eklund's) but if there's any substance to the rumors of making a run at Gaborik, Goose's name would logically fit as part of such a deal, being that he's an intriguing prospect, a Minnesota native, and given the depth of our D right now.
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:35 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
mikey287 wrote: Mike Weber (Pittsburgh native I believe)...

You would be correct.

I can see the Pens trying to move one of the 9 defencemen. If Gogo brings us a decent return for his value...I don't see a problem with it.

Yeah, if we get decent value sure, I think he's really overrated on this board...I think he's only our best prospect by default, and even that I'm not so sure about...

I don't see this being legitimate either, Boston and Buffalo are both fairly ripe with young defensive prospects...

Now, if Buffalo is feeling stupid (and they normally are), Sydor, Goligoski and whatever for Tallinder and a throw-in of some kind...that'd be something...

I was a fan of Tallinder back when it was still pronounced "Tal-linn-dur" because no one cared or knew who he was...and he's even better now!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:35 pm

K2 wrote:I question TIOPS credibility (just as I would Eklund's) but if there's any substance to the rumors of making a run at Gaborik, Goose's name would logically fit as part of such a deal, being that he's an intriguing prospect, a Minnesota native, and given the depth of our D right now.

I think the Gaborik rumor is an interesting one...

How much is he going to command on the FA market next year? Is it worth giving up a player or 2 that could play in the league now? Is he signable?

Who are we looking at in a trade for Gaborik....I get the feeling that Staal's name would be involved and shot down pretty quickly by RS.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:39 pm

K2 wrote:I question TIOPS credibility (just as I would Eklund's) but if there's any substance to the rumors of making a run at Gaborik, Goose's name would logically fit as part of such a deal, being that he's an intriguing prospect, a Minnesota native, and given the depth of our D right now.

I agree with the post as a whole...and it's a better fit, organizationally, because Minnesota lacks the top-end defensive prospects that Boston and Buffalo both already have...besides the recently drafted converted-forward-to-defense in Tyler Cuma, it's a pretty crappy group...

What's more, that trading Shawn Belle to Montreal for Corey Locke actually made it better :shock:

But there's really nothing of strong appeal in Minnesota's system on the blueline except 4-20 celebrators are strangely ennamored with Clayton Stoner...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:26 pm

Staal/Gologiski for Gaborik and long term contract extension? Am I that far off?
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:00 pm

Jim wrote:Pit: Goligoski, Sydor

Boston: Chuck Kobasew, Milan Lucic

:)

e∞
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:07 pm

KG wrote:Staal/Gologiski for Gaborik and long term contract extension? Am I that far off?

Hard to say...that's probably better value than what Hossa got, but that was at the deadline and Atlanta had no shot of signing him...

I'm also unsure as to the trade value of Goligoski, between the overrated-ness of him on this board, and my potential underrating him to compensate for the overrating of him here, I'm not sure what kind of value he has...

To Minnesota, though, it would be fairly good, he fills and organizational need...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Doogs on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Anything short of a long term signing of him would be a waste. We need to not give up players for 1 year players. The Hossa thing still stings, so unless he signs...stay away.

Besides he wants something like 9 mil. We don't have that.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:10 pm

mikey287 wrote:
KG wrote:Staal/Gologiski for Gaborik and long term contract extension? Am I that far off?
I'm also unsure as to the trade value of Goligoski, between the overrated-ness of him on this board, and my potential underrating him to compensate for the overrating of him here

That is the greatest summary of everyone's feelings on gogo that i've read.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lowedog on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:12 pm

TIOPS merely reports "rumors", then posts whether or not the rumors become fact.

I don't think the site ever suggested that the rumors should be believed, just that they exist.

Don't put stock into rumors until they become reality, if indeed, they ever do.
lowedog
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:13 pm

lowedog wrote:I don't think the site ever suggested that the rumors should be believed, just that they exist.

And therein lies the problem...people, presumably, don't want rumors that do not exist...something that TIOPS, Eklund and the like have been guilty of...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:19 pm

crzymike lost it(e5)
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:25 pm

lowedog wrote:TIOPS merely reports "rumors", then posts whether or not the rumors become fact.

I don't think the site ever suggested that the rumors should be believed, just that they exist.

How does something become a "rumor?" If I make something up and put it on the web, is that a rumor or is it just some schmuck trying to draw attention to himself or his site?

A rumor, in my opinion, is only worth reading if it comes from a source with connections. In other words, a rumor that Gaborik is coming to the Pens means nothing to me unless someone has evidence that the two teams have talked.

Anyone can throw crap on the wall and eventually it will stick. Who cares? What TIOPS and Eklund do is just that. They think of "ideal" scenarios, ones that will draw in readers, and then write them. Didn't TIOPS recently have a "rumor" about Pesonen already backing out...and his "sources" confirmed this wasn't the case. Umm, if his "sources" denied it, where did he hear it from in the first place, considering it was no where on the internet but TIOPS? That's a prime example of someone thinking, "slow news day, so I'll make something up, then have my fake sources shut it down just so I can write something to draw in readers."

Is this a bad marketing strategy? No, not at all, especially if the writer hasn't practiced journalism and doesn't have concerns over ethical conduct. But for any professional or pseudo-professional writer, this is in extremely poor taste and is designed for one reason only: to con people into reading and coming back for more.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Doogs on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:28 pm

Defence21 wrote:
lowedog wrote:TIOPS merely reports "rumors", then posts whether or not the rumors become fact.

How does something become a "rumor?" If I make something up and put it on the web, is that a rumor or is it just some schmuck trying to draw attention to himself or his site?

A rumor, in my opinion, is only worth reading if it comes from a source with connections. In other words, a rumor that Gaborik is coming to the Pens means nothing to me unless someone has evidence that the two teams have talked.

Anyone can throw crap on the wall and eventually it will stick. Who cares? What TIOPS and Eklund do is just that. They think of "ideal" scenarios, ones that will draw in readers, and then write them. Didn't TIOPS recently have a "rumor" about Pesonen already backing out...and his "sources" confirmed this wasn't the case. Umm, if his "sources" denied it, where did he hear it from in the first place, considering it was no where on the internet but TIOPS? That's a prime example of someone thinking, "slow news day, so I'll make something up, then have my fake sources shut it down just so I can write something to draw in readers."

Is this a bad marketing strategy? No, not at all, especially if the writer hasn't practiced journalism and doesn't have concerns over ethical conduct. But for any professional or pseudo-professional writer, this is in extremely poor taste and is designed for one reason only: to con people into reading and coming back for more.

TIOPS actually called BS on a rumor put out there by Eklund. I just wanted to point that out.

The rest of what you said I agree 100% with.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Angle on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:29 pm

And TIOPS never said anything about Goligowski for Gaborik.

They did say that Gaborik is closer to signing with the Wild than being traded and that Boston/Buffalo had scouts at WBS playoff games. How TIOPS is being credited with a Goligowski for Gaborik rumor is beyond me (and I've been through the thread twice!)
Angle
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:42 pm

Doogs wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

TIOPS actually called BS on a rumor put out there by Eklund. I just wanted to point that out.

Again, it's part of the act. Calling BS on Eklund is a way for TIOPS to look more like a legitimate source, when, in reality it is nothing more than hypocrtical.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Doogs on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:52 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Doogs wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Again, it's part of the act. Calling BS on Eklund is a way for TIOPS to look more like a legitimate source, when, in reality it is nothing more than hypocrtical.

Can't argue with that.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby K2 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:00 pm

That's got the framework for an intriguing deal for both sides. I bet Lemaire would love Staal

That said, I'd hate to give Jordan up at such a young age. I'm anticipating a monster year from him this season
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Defence21 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:03 pm

Doogs wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Doogs wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Can't argue with that.

And just to clarify, I have no problem with people reading/discussing TIOPS and Eklund. But I do have a problem with those writers who mislead their readers so strongly and blatantly. Many/most who visit such sites do so under the assumption that what they are reading is essentially "tabloid" material -- good for entertainment, but far from reality. But there are the occasional fans who, for one reason or another, truly believe what they are reading and get their hopes up. It's just not right, in my opinion, to mislead like this.

To each his own, I suppose.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:33 pm

K2 wrote:
KG wrote: I'm anticipating a monster year from him this season

Not on the 3rd line. Won't happen.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LdubsRoot23 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:50 pm

who's monopoly money are we using to pay for gaborik's long term extension which will likely exceed 8 mill and possibly 9 mill?

you'd think that all the time to digest the fact that we didn't sign hossa would help folks realize that you can't commit half your salary cap in three players for long term contracts and be much more than a one line team....but you'd be crazy
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:57 pm

LdubsRoot23 wrote:who's monopoly money are we using to pay for gaborik's long term extension which will likely exceed 8 mill and possibly 9 mill?

you'd think that all the time to digest the fact that we didn't sign hossa would help folks realize that you can't commit half your salary cap in three players for long term contracts and be much more than a one line team....but you'd be crazy

Ya figure $8 million just for argument's sake...$3.5 (Satan) + $2.25 (Tank) + $2.5 (Sydor) = $8.25 million right there...Gaborik takes Satan's role and does it way better, Staal steps into Tank's role perhaps, perhaps Pesonen, perhaps Luca, and Sydor is already useless to us I guess...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:49 pm

Call me crazy but I'd rather invest 6.5 long term in Bouwmeester than 9 in Gaborik.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:50 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Call me crazy but I'd rather invest 6.5 long term in Bouwmeester than 9 in Gaborik.

Assuming Gonchar goes off the books, i'm all for that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:52 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:crzymike lost it(e5)

wasnt there a thread not too long ago that asked which poster was gonna lose it first?

i'd love to see a bump of that. :pop:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins