Ascending to the top...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ascending to the top...

Postby CKA24 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:18 pm

Would the Pens have become this good so quickly if they were in the West?

We flew through the playoffs against a markedly weaker Eastern conference. We played most of the season against the weaker East. They're still a good team -- a great team! But, would they be as successful in the West?
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,703
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 am
Location: Harrison City, Pa

Postby bhaw on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:22 pm

it'd be harder but you can't really compare. The team would need to be built differently to go through the West than the East. I still think they would be a very good team in the West but depends what division they were in, who the matchups were, etc.

The notion that the West is significantly better is misleading IMO. I think they are just two different styles of play between the conferences. The West looks tougher because the teams are more defense first and more physical. So games are closer as are the standings once you get past Detroit.

The team the Pens have now would not survive a year in the West though.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Postby penny lane on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:44 pm

I don't think the pens had it easy....game 2 against the sens almost went into OT~ anyone could win. First game against King Hank of NYC; are you kidding me, they had a 3 zip lead.

With more inter conference play it will be interesting to watch the stats of wins/loses.

IF in the west GM Shero and Coach Therrien would have to tweak their style of play.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,516
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Ready

Postby CKA24 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:27 pm

I also agree that the whole West > East is overused and exaggerated.

And, obviously Shero would construct a different type of team. The question was simply asking if the process would have been just as quick.

I think the West is better by a small margin.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,703
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 am
Location: Harrison City, Pa

Postby bhaw on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:28 pm

no because we couldn't have built a West team as easily as we built an East team.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:31 pm

Too much of a "what if" to really work...teams are built a little different in the west...I mean, it isn't a different league, but we'd have to review a lot of moves made...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,297
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Postby bhaw on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:36 pm

That's where I was trying to go while still answering the question.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Postby longtimefan on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:43 pm

During the regular season, the Pens were 8-1-1 against teams from the West. Take it for what it's worth, but I don't buy that the West is vastly superior to the East.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:36 pm

Their travel schedule would be horrible if they were playing the west. Every year would have been harder.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,308
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:45 pm

I think overall the West is a far harder schedule over the course of the season. The travel is brutal and the teams are built bigger and tougher. The Penguins, this year and last, are not built for enduring an 80 game schedule out West.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,843
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:47 pm

longtimefan wrote:During the regular season, the Pens were 8-1-1 against teams from the West. Take it for what it's worth, but I don't buy that the West is vastly superior to the East.


I wouldn't say vastly superior, but the teams are generally a whole lot grittier. I think its a different style game altogether. The East has it's own flavor too.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,843
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Postby DelPen on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:23 pm

Yes, they would be killing the central division if they moved to KC because the Wings would have moved East.

Any team with Malkin and Crosby is eventually going to be elite no matter where they play.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,530
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:35 pm

bhaw wrote:The team the Pens have now would not survive a year in the West though.


Well that's certainly debatable.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,439
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Postby bhaw on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:27 am

meecrofilm wrote:
bhaw wrote:The team the Pens have now would not survive a year in the West though.


Well that's certainly debatable.


THat's fine, but the Pens are not built for West hockey. They are built to destroy the East and may be one of the best suited teams to play in the West. However I don't think the current line up is well suited for a full year of the physical brand of hockey the West likes to play.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Postby Jim on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:27 am

If the Penguins played in the Russian Elite League... would they be as good?

What about if they played in the NBA?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,614
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Ron` on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:43 am

Jim wrote:If the Penguins played in the Russian Elite League... would they be as good?

What about if they played in the NBA?
What if they entered the WSOBP?

http://www.bpong.com/
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,037
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:58 pm
Location: Central PA

Postby bhaw on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:12 am

Ron` wrote:
Jim wrote:If the Penguins played in the Russian Elite League... would they be as good?

What about if they played in the NBA?
What if they entered the WSOBP?

http://www.bpong.com/


Staal would be 1st line center.

ba-dum-ching!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Postby ivand87 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:16 pm

The Penguins were 8-1-1 against the Western Conference last year. They beat Dallas 4-1.

Aside from Detroit, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, and maybe Calgary, the Western Conference is just as weak as the East.

Vancouver sucks. All they got is Luongo. Minnesota is just purely a defensive team and the Penguins would have a winning record against them almost every season. Colorado, Edmonton and Nashville are decent teams, but the Pens are decisively better. Chicago obviously is on their way up, but can they reach the Penguins' level? I guess we'll see about them. Phoenix is on their way up as well but they have a huge mountain to climb. St. Louis has a few good young players but they're still an average team and I don't expect them to challenge anybody in the West. And Columbus and LA suck.

So what are you people talking about when you say the West is better than the East? You're talking about 4 teams. That's it. Don't believe the hype.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,156
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 pm

Postby bhaw on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:25 pm

ivand87 wrote:The Penguins were 8-1-1 against the Western Conference last year. They beat Dallas 4-1.

Aside from Detroit, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, and maybe Calgary, the Western Conference is just as weak as the East.

Vancouver sucks. All they got is Luongo. Minnesota is just purely a defensive team and the Penguins would have a winning record against them almost every season. Colorado, Edmonton and Nashville are decent teams, but the Pens are decisively better. Chicago obviously is on their way up, but can they reach the Penguins' level? I guess we'll see about them. Phoenix is on their way up as well but they have a huge mountain to climb. St. Louis has a few good young players but they're still an average team and I don't expect them to challenge anybody in the West. And Columbus and LA suck.

So what are you people talking about when you say the West is better than the East? You're talking about 4 teams. That's it. Don't believe the hype.


I think it is more correct to say that the West is a tougher conference. The races are typically closer in each division. The 8-1-1 record is a good indication the Pens can beat the teams, but you need to interchange some players to play a full season in the West.

They do play more defensive systems. They do play more physical across the board than the East. The Pens match up great against a lot of the teams on a game by game basis, but the teams in the West are just different than the teams ont he East. A lot of it has to do with travel schedules. It's easy to play more wide open hockey when your players can sleep in their own beds even after away games because it is a 1 hour flight.

The same would hold true for a West team moving to the East. They probably would not fare extremely well because the offensive systems in the East could crack the defensive system of a team after a couple games. Vancouver would die in the East because most teams could put up 2 goals per game on them and the Canucks don't have the offense to score 3 goals per game night in and night out.

The people who say the West is way better are usually more old school. Teams in the West play more of an old school style, while the East teams have generally adopted systems for the newer, more open NHL rules.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Real Deal Jimmy Neal and 5 guests

e-mail