ESPN Coaching Ranking

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

ESPN Coaching Ranking

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:39 am

Terry Frei strikes again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/s ... LHeadlines

HCMT is put in the lower middle of the rankings near other "proven" coaches like Ron Wilson and Dave Tippett.

I almost didn't put him here, in part because of his whining during the Finals. But all in all, you can't knock his work with the young Penguins, despite the reality that this was a powerhouse waiting to happen. And if you know his background -- as a phone company worker and assistant coach, he talked with Laval coach Bob Hartley about practice plans from the top of telephone poles -- it's easy to root for him.

Of course, Wings' fans love to agree with the first sentence. Of course, his whining wasn't as bad as other coaches during the playoffs even if most of what he complained about had some truth to it. But Frei is a Western Conference guy, so that might factor into things.

Discuss
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ron` on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:48 am

Considering the article is largely vegan, no meat, not much to say. I'm betting that most of the posters here could have thrown that at the wall and done just as well.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:23 am

FIRE MT!!!!!!!!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:34 am

i stopped reading ESPN's hockey writers a long time ago, the only one who actually is worth reading is John Buccigross and he doesn't really write much more then is hoceky column during the season because he is one of the hosts of sportscenter. I think their writers get worse and worse every year espcially since ESPN no longer has hockey. Although ironically one of the best articles i read about hockey this year was on ESPN, Bill Simmons "The Sports Guy" wrote a great article about the Habs-Bruin game 7 this year.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Doogs on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:40 am

This guy took a little away from MT because the "young" Penns were a powerhouse in the waiting, but then give kudos to Babcock for coaching Detroit? Detroit IS a powerhouse currently.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:41 am

I love that every other coach in the league has to answer for his performance, but for Teh Great Wayne the question is "how long can he stay interested."

:lol:
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Doogs on Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:50 am

HomerPenguin wrote:I love that every other coach in the league has to answer for his performance, but for Teh Great Wayne the question is "how long can he stay interested."

:lol:

Don't you know Wayne walked on water!!!

Then again so does every other player that has ever skated on the FROZEN water. :roll:
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Can someone show me a great coach in the NHL? A guy that wins wherever he goes? The last great coach I think was Bowman.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:54 pm

What a *****. MT took the worst defensive team in the league and transformed them into one of the best defensive teams in the league. Oh, and by the way, took them to the Stanley Cup finals. But we all know that "whining" isn't a sign of a good coach. How is this ******* employed?
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:56 pm

The media doesn't like Therrien and they control his reputation. I suspect he's not very media friendly and that's why you don't see him getting much serous consideration for the Jack Adams.

Can someone show me a great coach in the NHL? A guy that wins wherever he goes? The last great coach I think was Bowman.

Even he didn't win everywhere. He spent a number of years in Buffalo after the Montreal dynasty and was never able to get them over the top. He won with great teams. I think that's something that carries on throughout all sports. Coaching is important, but it still comes down to the players. If you don't have the talent, you're not going to win.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:58 pm

henry hank, while you are somewhat knowledgeable, Your direct obsession with thinking everything the team does right is kinda silly
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:14 pm

Yeah I actually just came back to the computer to make sure that was seen as a joke. Its an exact excerpt from crzymike's post.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:48 pm

Henry Hank wrote:The media doesn't like Therrien and they control his reputation. I suspect he's not very media friendly and that's why you don't see him getting much serous consideration for the Jack Adams.

Even he didn't win everywhere. He spent a number of years in Buffalo after the Montreal dynasty and was never able to get them over the top. He won with great teams. I think that's something that carries on throughout all sports. Coaching is important, but it still comes down to the players. If you don't have the talent, you're not going to win.

Exactly, every great coach has had a losing or lackluster season at some point in their career. In the NFL look at Lombardi with the Redskins, Noll with the Steelers in his first year and during the 80s, and Belicheat with the Brownies, just to name a few.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:37 pm

Doogs wrote:This guy took a little away from MT because the "young" Penns were a powerhouse in the waiting, but then give kudos to Babcock for coaching Detroit? Detroit IS a powerhouse currently.

tru dat, yo.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sabres_Fan on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:57 am

It took Ruff a while to get respect because everyone just assumed a monkey could of coached the Sabres to victory with Hasek in the net. The same could be said right now with the Pens. It's gonna take a few good years before MT gets to that elite status.
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Pittsburgh, pa (via Buffalo in a little town known as Pominville)

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins