New Arena Information

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

New Arena Information

Postby Richard Zemlak on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:50 am

I'm not sure how many of you saw this already but I just came across it and it's really anything you want to know about the new arena. Good stuff.

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/cp/ass ... 071113.pdf
Richard Zemlak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:56 am

That is pretty cool. Thanks!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:19 am

Thank-you. I always pictured the new arena at the top of the hill, but it is going to be right behind Epiphany Church.

I'll be sad to see the Igloo destroyed.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Loaf31 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:52 am

penny lane wrote:

Me too, but it has to happen. I know that I will be down there when it get imploded.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:10 pm

penny lane wrote:

I got dibs on a patch of Mellon Arena ice just like when they sold off pieces of Three Rivers Stadium Turf.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:23 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
penny lane wrote:

I got dibs on a patch of Mellon Arena ice just like when they sold off pieces of Three Rivers Stadium Turf.

You're going to buy a bucket of water?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:27 pm

Maple Leaf Gardens did something where they chipped the ice and sold the melted ice in clear cases about the size of a puck. For all the buyers know, that could have been water from one of the taps.

I'd be more interested in a chair, maybe some signage. Already have four chairs from when the War Memorial was redone and I'm still deciding what to do with em.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:33 pm

I was joking about the ice, but never thought of them selling it in bottles or something. Would be a bit rediculous, though - because its not like anything great happened on the "ice water" you would buy, considering that the ice is melted and gone all the time when other events come through. Now if the Pens very last game on Mellon Arena Ice was a Stanley Cup win - I may change my mind.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:37 pm

JeffDFD wrote:I was joking about the ice, but never thought of them selling it in bottles or something. Would be a bit rediculous, though - because its not like anything great happened on the "ice water" you would buy, considering that the ice is melted and gone all the time when other events come through. Now if the Pens very last game on Mellon Arena Ice was a Stanley Cup win - I may change my mind.

Hahaha, I sat there and was like "seriously?", then realized you had to be joking.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby czwalga on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Lots of people disagree with me but everytime i see those pics I just want to implode that church.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Spikey on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:30 pm

All seats are accessed from concourses above (download) creating a
condition where vomitories and associated view obstructions (railings)
are eliminated.

:shock:
Spikey
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:43 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:I was joking about the ice, but never thought of them selling it in bottles or something. Would be a bit rediculous, though - because its not like anything great happened on the "ice water" you would buy, considering that the ice is melted and gone all the time when other events come through. Now if the Pens very last game on Mellon Arena Ice was a Stanley Cup win - I may change my mind.

Hahaha, I sat there and was like "seriously?", then realized you had to be joking.

Haha - Come to think of it, we should start bottling water now and sell it on ebay when the time comes. We could just use tap water, but if we want to make it legit we need to find out where they drain out the ice after Pens games. If Sid gets cut or something and there is some blood on the ice, we can sell those bottles for a little more!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bringitonhome on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:55 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Haha - Come to think of it, we should start bottling water now and sell it on ebay when the time comes. We could just use tap water, but if we want to make it legit we need to find out where they drain out the ice after Pens games. If Sid gets cut or something and there is some blood on the ice, we can sell those bottles for a little more!

then we would have dino, i mean, sid DNA.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Bingo. Darryl DNA.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:23 pm

maybe a liquidation auction/sale of the arena seats/signs/dasher boards/nets... whatever isn't nail down. :)
I'll assume all the plaques from the western PA hall of fame will find a home at the new igloo. Plus the HS sweaters display.

I could see the penguins creating a plan to buy a brick/ice chip :P for
the new arena...space for your name/?. They did this at PNC.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:26 pm

penny lane wrote:maybe a liquidation auction/sale of the arena seats/signs/dasher boards/nets... whatever isn't nail down. :)
I'll assume all the plaques from the western PA hall of fame will find a home at the new igloo. Plus the HS sweaters display.

I could see the penguins creating a plan to buy a brick/ice chip :P for
the new arena...space for your name/?. They did this at PNC.

I'd do it, not my actual name, i'd probably put IDoIt40Fans on there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ginger on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:45 pm

Fan pavers would be cool. I doubt they'll change anything that's already been decided upon, but it would be kinda cool to have pavers with peoples names in them inserted in the concourse floor or leading to the gates. Allow fans to buy the paver, like Disney World did. Visitors can buy a paver to be inserted at the entrance. Why not do that at the new arena? :)
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pensfan20 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:32 pm

When the Canadiens moved arena's, i know they gave the season ticket holders the opportunity to purchase their seats. Then they auctioned a bunch off. So i hope they do the same here. I would love the opportunity to buy my seats.
pensfan20
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mjg on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Ginger wrote:Fan pavers would be cool. I doubt they'll change anything that's already been decided upon, but it would be kinda cool to have pavers with peoples names in them inserted in the concourse floor or leading to the gates. Allow fans to buy the paver, like Disney World did. Visitors can buy a paver to be inserted at the entrance. Why not do that at the new arena? :)

They have those in Philly and a large portion of them are cracked already and most of them are showing signs of wear. If they did something like that they should put them in a wall like they did at Beaver Stadium.

If they do decide to auction/sell off parts of the Igloo, I'd love to score a urinal. I'm in the process of building a new house and have designs on putting a urinal in the bathroom of my man cave. It would be extra cool if it came from Mellon Arena. When they tore down Pitt Stadium all I could afford was a brick. This time, I'm not sure how high I'd go, but I should have enough money if it's within my "reasonable zone".
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:21 pm

pensfan20 wrote:When the Canadiens moved arena's, i know they gave the season ticket holders the opportunity to purchase their seats. Then they auctioned a bunch off. So i hope they do the same here. I would love the opportunity to buy my seats.

I'd definitely buy my seats!
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby viva la ben on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:26 pm

I have a chunk of concrete and some rebar from three rivers stadium.....it was from a big pile in Leetsdale where they stored some of the rubble for a couple years after the implosion
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crackerjack5 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:13 am

We're skating our way silly to the new arena now!
Crackerjack5
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Location: Finishing the checks "Alazy" Ponikarovsky fails to finsh

Postby Crackerjack5 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:24 am

I'm wheeling one of the beer kiosks out the front door after the last game there when hopefully we are hoisting the cup. I'm then putting it on my deck as a momento and hiring Cotton Candy guy to bartend it.
Crackerjack5
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Location: Finishing the checks "Alazy" Ponikarovsky fails to finsh

Postby K2 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:24 am

Crackerjack5 wrote:I'm wheeling one of the beer kiosks out the front door after the last game there when hopefully we are hoisting the cup. I'm then putting it on my deck as a momento and hiring Cotton Candy guy to bartend it.

LABATT BLUE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins