BEST Pens game you attended?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

BEST Pens game you attended?

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:13 am

Inspired by the "Remember the first game" you went to thread - how bout the one that stands out in your memory the most?

I remember when I was younger going to a game with my dad and we were down 6-4 with less than 3 minutes left. I suggested leaving early (I hate people that do that now, but I was a wee lad, sorry). Needless to say - we pull our goalie (that never works, right) and scored two goals (one by Mario).

Then in OT, Mario stole the puck, goes in on a breakaway, and buries it for the OT winner.

Other than that, I was at Jagr's first game back, which was very entertaining...especially the guy that kept yelling "Jagr's a weiner"
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ushockeyteam1980 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:32 am

This is a tough one, because I've been to some great games, but it's a tie between two:

-New arena game, March 13th, 2007. My friend asked me to go with her at lunch, and I almost died I was so excited. It was just a great game to be at, and it was the perfect ending to one of the best days ever. I also got into fights with Buffalo fans, and that was a good time.

-Game 1 of Round 2 against the Rangers, April 25th, 2008. I got half-price tickets in B1 less than thirty minutes before game time (walking around with a "Poor college student, needs 3 tickets" sign helps), and coming back to win 5-4 after being down 3-0 was absolutely amazing. It was also the first whiteout, so that was pretty cool.
ushockeyteam1980

Postby louie on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:57 am

I've seen over 200 games in six years... my favorite Kovy's hattrick against Chicago.
louie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: BEST Pens game you attended?

Postby Richard Zemlak on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:12 am

JeffDFD wrote:Inspired by the "Remember the first game" you went to thread - how bout the one that stands out in your memory the most?

I remember when I was younger going to a game with my dad and we were down 6-4 with less than 3 minutes left. I suggested leaving early (I hate people that do that now, but I was a wee lad, sorry). Needless to say - we pull our goalie (that never works, right) and scored two goals (one by Mario).

Then in OT, Mario stole the puck, goes in on a breakaway, and buries it for the OT winner.

Other than that, I was at Jagr's first game back, which was very entertaining...especially the guy that kept yelling "Jagr's a weiner"

I was at that game...sat front row thanks to student rush. I'm pretty sure it was against Boston and I think Sandstrom scored to tie it at 6 and Mario on a breakaway to win it in overtime. I still have the Sportscenter recap with Olberman on VCR tape!

Best game I've ever been to is a tie. It would have to be when Kaspar scored the Game 7 OT winner in Buffalo and also Game 1 Cup Finals vs the Hawks.

much tension.
Richard Zemlak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Richard Zemlak on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:15 am

Richard Zemlak wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:Inspired by the "Remember the first game" you went to thread - how bout the one that stands out in your memory the most?

I was at that game...sat front row thanks to student rush. I'm pretty sure it was against Boston and I think Sandstrom scored to tie it at 6 and Mario on a breakaway to win it in overtime. I still have the Sportscenter recap with Olberman on VCR tape!

Best game I've ever been to is a tie. It would have to be when Kaspar scored the Game 7 OT winner in Buffalo and also Game 1 Cup Finals vs the Hawks.

much tension.

I was wrong...Jagr tied it. Sandstrom scored the 5th.

http://letsgopens.com/scripts/dbman/box/2377.htm
Richard Zemlak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:34 am

ignore
Last edited by JeffDFD on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:35 am

Game 5 in Detroit, hands down.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:36 am

Richard Zemlak wrote:
Richard Zemlak wrote:

much tension.

I was wrong...Jagr tied it. Sandstrom scored the 5th.

http://letsgopens.com/scripts/dbman/box/2377.htm

HAHA! I forgot we were SH too...a SH OT winner for Mario! I remember being all angry when the penalty was called thinking we were screwed!

That and Jagr scored with only 18 seconds left...so intense at the end!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Richard Zemlak on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:44 am

purelebo84 wrote:Game 5 in Detroit, hands down.

Can't argue with that. Instant classic.
Richard Zemlak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:45 am

Growing up a Lemieux fan, the best game (of the 5 I have been to) has to be Mario's first game in Montreal when he came out of retirement. They treat him like a God there so the place was electric when he stepped on the ice. It was my first time seeing him play so it was pretty kewl!

Mind you my first game at the Melon last fall was pretty special too!
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bringitonhome on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:57 am

louie wrote:I've seen over 200 games in six years... my favorite Kovy's hattrick against Chicago.

was that one of the games where he had the back to back hat tricks?
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:05 am

Atlanta a couple years ago. Thrashers went up something like 4-1 in the first, Pens won 7-4. However, it is the best because it is the one and only Pens game I was ever able to get my mother to come to.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:13 am

Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals.

Sid's SO goal against the Canadiens his rookie year.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:14 am

Game 3 of the Boston/Pens Wales Conference Finals. Cam Neely's career ender. Mike Milbury is still pissed off about it.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:17 am

2001 Pens vs Caps playoffs round 1, game 6, Straka stole the puck from Gonchar to win the game in OT and the series.

I was also at game 4 of that series in DC where Hedberg had a shutout. Probably the first time I ever had stuff thrown at me for being a fan of the opposing team.

Yes, I had to cheat to remember which games they were. I thought game 6 was maybe a game 5.
http://everything2.com/title/2001%2520N ... 20Playoffs

Best quote from the page....
"I didn't even try to make a save, because I know he's coming out at my knees," Hasek whined. "I was protecting myself. That's why I was so upset."
I guess some things don't change.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Maagwa on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:42 am

It changes all the time for me but, right now I am really feeling Fleury's first game. Pens lost 4-2 I believe but Fleury stopped like 48 shots? Fleury got 7 standing ovations that game though 8-)
Maagwa

Postby juicebox1 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:51 am

Jesse wrote:Sid's SO goal against the Canadiens his rookie year.

That's the most memorable game i've been to also.

This doesn't exactly fit the description, but i will never forget it...

I went to the arena for game 5 for the SCF and had to bail out during the 2nd OT intermission b/c the busses were about to stop running. Tired and uneasy, I get back into Shadyside. As I'm walking home I pass Mardi Gras to see if the game is still on...I look in the window...Sykora scores!

It was unreal.
juicebox1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:54 am

i believe i was at the first ovehckin-crosby game
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:57 am

Game 6 Pens vs. Sabres 2001. Mario ties it late, Pens win in OT.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CT Mechanic on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:24 pm

All the post season games with Crosby have been memorable, but the one game that I tell the most stories about was the home game at the end of Crosby's first season (and we didn't have much to cheer about that season) when they handed out towels and Crosby scored his 100th point of the season. The crowd was packed full of hard core fans that night, and that atmosphere that night was better than some of the playoff games.
CT Mechanic
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Reading some of the other posts reminds me of a lot of great games I have also been too (Crosby's 100th pt, Fleury's first game, etc).

Good memories. Now lets get a certain Brandy drinking device on home ice for some more memories
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:43 pm

Pens-Flyers 5OT.

Like getting blasted off into space for 8 straight hours.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jmh470 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:50 pm

I saw the comically pathetic '04 Pens beat the Rags at MSG in possibly the most entertaining game in the years immediately preceding the lockout. It was just so much fun to be one of a handful of Pens fans in the building to see Ryan Malone and a bunch of scrubs pot 7 against the most expensive roster in the league.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Zach6668 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:58 pm

I've only been to 4 Pens games, being from NW Ontario.

In the late 90s, I think 98, Pens vs Oilers, where Lang scored late to send it to OT, ended in a tie.

The second game on that trip was vs Colorado, where Jagr had a breakaway from centre with no one even close to him and Billington made a glove save in front of the open net after being deked out of his mind, one of the saves of the year.

In one of those two games, Jagr got his 500th assist.

In Crosby's rookie year, I got to see two games, and while not the most exciting games the Pens have played, but definitely VERY satisfying to watch in person.

Late in the season, Pens vs Devils, Brodeur is crushed and pulled, Pens win like 6-2 or something on a Friday night.

Then the Saturday, was a complete shock to me, as I woke up in my hotel room at the Marriot to a parade outside my window and a bunch of yinzers (no disrespect intended) drinking green beer and partying in the streets (did I die and go to heaven? btw, Pittsburgh has hot women)!

Then the Sunday, the Pens defeat the Flyers! 2-0, I think, and even had to kill off a 7 minute PP when Roy went psycho on some Flyer goon mid way through the third, when we were up only 1-0.

So satisfying to come in to watch the last place team in the league beat their division rivals!
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:15 pm

2. I think Crosbys first home game and first goal? It was like 8 to 7 against the Bruins? and my voice and hands hurt so bad from clapping.

1. When the Pens were facing elimination from the playoffs against buffalo at home 4 years ago game 6? and Kovy flipped up a puck from right in front of us to land in front of their goaltender and i think Mario kept hacking at it until it went in. Then the pens won in over time and went on to win game 7 and play the devils in the next round. I think thats right, thats when i started to be a die hard fan. The crowd was so intense during the game and during intermission and after the game. not to mention how many people i hugged/high fived after the pens scored to tie/win the game in my section.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins